PDA

View Full Version : TEA Developers

Shen45
2-Oct-2014, 16:02
A question for any knowledgable chemists on the forum. Is TEA a suitable base for a Metol/Hydroquinone developer? Does anyone have a formula as such? From the MSDS of 99% TEA it states a 1% TEA solution [in water] has a pH of approx 10.
Is TEA inert as such until added to water? Would Metol or Hydroqinone dissolve in sufficient concentration?
I don't have Phenidone but do have Metol hence my desire to use this combination.
I know Pat gainer and Jay have made TEA based developers in the past. Both of which use Phenidone. Any thoughts would be good.

Steve

sanking
2-Oct-2014, 17:36
The threshold of development of hydroquinone is pH 10.0 so you might get some discernible density with TEA as a base but not enough energy for the developer to be useful IMO. Synergy with metol, which has a much lower threshold of development might add a bit more energy, but probably not enough to be useful.

The TEA based developers of Gainer and DeFehr with which I am familiar were based on ascorbic acid and pyrogallol, both of which have much lower thresholds of development than hydroquinone.

Sandy

Shen45
2-Oct-2014, 21:33
The threshold of development of hydroquinone is pH 10.0 so you might get some discernible density with TEA as a base but not enough energy for the developer to be useful IMO. Synergy with metol, which has a much lower threshold of development might add a bit more energy, but probably not enough to be useful.

The TEA based developers of Gainer and DeFehr with which I am familiar were based on ascorbic acid and pyrogallol, both of which have much lower thresholds of development than hydroquinone.

Sandy

Much appreciated Sandy, thank you.