PDA

View Full Version : pictorialism at Boston MFA

jp
27-Sep-2014, 13:16
I'm digging it. If you are anywhere nearby check it out. This stuff does not repro well in books or web.

No exhibit catalog so all I got is this crappy photo, and what I can store in my brain.

Next stop, pyro workshop!

cowanw
27-Sep-2014, 13:27
That looks like it might be the Truth Beauty show that went around a few years back! Not counting the "and"

diversey
27-Sep-2014, 13:50
Did I see you? I just came back from MFA Boston this afternoon. The Hollywood portrait photographs by Karsh are amazing!

jp
27-Sep-2014, 14:13
Ive seen Karsh exhibits before; very inspiring for lf portraits and silver printing!

Tin Can
27-Sep-2014, 15:27
I got an unread, Karsh, 'Portraits of Greatness' at used book store for $12.50, reprint 1960, Netherlands, sheet fed Gravure which looks amazing.

Amazing the book is so clean and the prints are so sharp with every detail. I am trying his 'hands thing' in some shots, people hate their hands!

I keep referring to Karsh as I like his rawness and facial detail. It's harsh!

jnantz
27-Sep-2014, 16:25
randy

many ( all? ) his men's portraits are done using something like tri x ORTHO film
which isn't made anymore, that is what gives the ruddy look.
( they are retouched with leads but not too much ... )
women's portraits are done with non-ORTHO film, the negatives retouched like mad
and blended. not sure if you have an adams desk sometimes they sell for cheaps
i wish i didn't sell mine ( along with like 10 holders and a lifetimes supply of leads )
it will help you with the look ... if you can deal with slow negatives/film paper negatives
might give you a similar ruddy .. for the men, and you can retouch the back of the negative
with leads, and make contact prints ...

i too have his portraits of greatness, it is something else ..

i've got to go to boston, i hope wednesdays are still free ;) ..

Tin Can
27-Sep-2014, 16:48
Page 207 has an appendix, where Karsh states his film.

Kodak Portrait Pan
Super Panchro Type B
Super XX

35mm he says,
Tri-X
Rolleiflex, 120, Verichrome

Developed personally in DK and would direct someone else in prints.

Lens for 8x10 14" Ektar

He goes on to say he estimates B&W exposures while checking 2 meters, but ignores them!

I almost feel like framing every image in the book...

And I am old enough to know almost all the sitters.

cowanw
27-Sep-2014, 17:06
Be careful about not actually touching the prints. They are 3 dimensional and will mar if you touch them.

Tin Can
27-Sep-2014, 17:33
Do you mean my Karsh book?

Heck, I barely will let people see from 3 feet!

I don't touch them.

Be careful about not actually touching the prints. They are 3 dimensional and will mar if you touch them.

jnantz
27-Sep-2014, 17:53
Page 207 has an appendix, where Karsh states his film.

Kodak Portrait Pan
Super Panchro Type B
Super XX

35mm he says,
Tri-X
Rolleiflex, 120, Verichrome

Developed personally in DK and would direct someone else in prints.

Lens for 8x10 14" Ektar

He goes on to say he estimates B&W exposures while checking 2 meters, but ignores them!

I almost feel like framing every image in the book...

And I am old enough to know almost all the sitters.

its funny about wanting to frame the images
some of his books were made to remove
the images from the binding
because they were meant to be framed ;)

that's interesting about the appendix ( haven't read it in 35 years )
i assisted someone ( STEEPED in his tradition for 50years+
... as everyone was for a long while ) and she told
me he used ortho film for men &c ..

dang, i am gullible ..
john

Tin Can
27-Sep-2014, 18:20
Even before I got the Karsh book this summer, I was heading there with my self portraits.

My mother and aunt asked me who was that guy in a print of me!

It's the darkness of the images, I think.

I'm going to treat the book real carefully, I was using it as a 'look' book. but it is irreplaceable, I just got a nice one right smack dab in the middle of hipster town Chicago at the hippest bookstore here, but who reads books....

its funny about wanting to frame the images
some of his books were made to remove
the images from the binding
because they were meant to be framed ;)

that's interesting about the appendix ( haven't read it in 35 years )
i assisted someone ( STEEPED in his tradition for 50years+
... as everyone was for a long while ) and she told
me he used ortho film for men &c ..

dang, i am gullible ..
john

Jim Noel
27-Sep-2014, 18:25
Ortho film is ideal for portraits of ruddy, or older men. I use Kodak Ektascan RA.Dirt cheap, $80 per 100 8x10, and is useful at an EI of 100.

Tin Can
27-Sep-2014, 18:28
Got plenty of 8x10 and 14x17, which I cut to 11x14 since it's not made in 11x14.

Thanks!

Ortho film is ideal for portraits of ruddy, or older men. I use Kodak Ektascan RA.Dirt cheap, $80 per 100 8x10, and is useful at an EI of 100.

Jim Noel
27-Sep-2014, 18:35
I got an unread, Karsh, 'Portraits of Greatness' at used book store for $12.50, reprint 1960, Netherlands, sheet fed Gravure which looks amazing.

Amazing the book is so clean and the prints are so sharp with every detail. I am trying his 'hands thing' in some shots, people hate their hands!

I keep referring to Karsh as I like his rawness and facial detail. It's harsh!

what a steal! I just found one listed at $503. Obviously I didn't buy it.

Tin Can
27-Sep-2014, 18:45
Well, to tell the truth the slip cover is slightly damaged, but not the cover or binding, all pages are perfect.

I usually don't go to book stores, but I was going to lunch and something caused me to stop at the store and look at the photo books.

I knew I had something as soon as I opened it.

I see Abe's Books has copies from $30 to $836.54, so not that rare. Mine is second printing.

what a steal! I just found one listed at $503. Obviously I didn't buy it.

cowanw
27-Sep-2014, 19:10
Yes I meant the Karsh book. the prints have a nap to them and easily get shiney marks if touched roughly. There was a time when ebayers cut up the books and sold individual images.

Tin Can
27-Sep-2014, 20:01
Barbarians!

onnect17
27-Sep-2014, 23:14
Karsh passed away a few blocks from MFA, in Brigham and Women's hospital, which exhibit many portraits in the "pike" and in the family room. Not the ideal place to visit but hard to ignore if you are around.

diversey
29-Sep-2014, 09:03
I went to see 20 more portrait photographs in the "Pike" in Brigham and Women's Hospital last night. Those 20 portraits are some of the greatest biomedical scientists and physicians in medicine except for Einstein. The portraits are hung in hallway (pike) and not lit well, but those portraits are as amazing as the ones from Hollywood in MFA Boston.