PDA

View Full Version : Plexi rod on lens board

jjw
23-Sep-2014, 17:55
Hi, maybe someone can figure this out-

I have recently acquired a collection of large format stuff, including an Orbit Monorail. It has a 4x4 lens board. Also with the package, there are 3 lenses with 4x4 boards, looks like they were custom built. Nice job of machining, but I am puzzled by 2 of them having a 1/4" plexi rod sticking forward from the board. It has a diagonal cut across the end. This penetrates the board, and has a red filter on the inside (camera side) of the board. Both lenses are S K Componars, (1) 4.5 105, (2) 3.5 50. There is a 3rd custom lens with the camera, a Kodak Anastigmat 4.5 161 projector lens that has been mounted on a board, but does not have the added plexi rod light path thingy.

Any clues, anyone?

This package that I have bought is a classic case of a lifetime collection, the death of the owner, and all of his gags and special projects, half-completed modifications, etc, left to be deciphered. I'm actually doing pretty well, figuring what goes with what, but is taking a lot of time!

Erik Larsen
23-Sep-2014, 17:57
Sounds like enlarger lens boards and the plexiglass lets light through to read the aperture in the dark

jjw
23-Sep-2014, 18:03
Could be, could be. Just a coincidence that the board is exactly the right size to fit the Orbit?

djdister
23-Sep-2014, 18:03
Sounds like enlarger lens boards and the plexiglass lets light through to read the aperture in the dark

Exactly right!

Jim Noel
23-Sep-2014, 18:17
They are Beseler boards.

jjw
23-Sep-2014, 20:42
Thanks for your help.