PDA

View Full Version : New Member from New Mexico, but not new to Large Format

Timothy Blomquist
23-Sep-2014, 08:39
Howdy from Northwestern New Mexico USA. I have been lurking around for years, mainly getting great information from experienced members here. Only recently I have decided to join. My experience in Large Format Photography (actually medium format) began when I was a teenager in the 1970s, shooting with a 40's vintage Kodak Monitor in 620 format, black and white and in color. The 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 format was always fun and enlarged nicely. Went to college at the University of Arizona studying at the Center for Creative Photography, getting a minor in film. Since the early 1980s I have used 4x5 and 8x10, beginning with a Sinar f, Sinar c 8X10, and eventually going the field camera route with a 1988 made Wisner 8x10 Technical Field, weighing in at around 17 lbs. I sold the Wisner just this year. Recently I went to a lighter Sinar f1 in 8x10, so we'll see how that works out.

Shooting Large Format requires dedication, and getting married with children. Nothing better than a wife and sons to help carry a 17 lb camera, 15 lb Gitzo tripod, lenses, etc. My youngest son is now 15 so he has been well schooled in the art of being a camera porter. I don't know what I will do when he heads off to college....:(

I have shot almost exclusively reversal film in 4x5 and 8x10, enlarging up to 30x40 on Ilfochrome Classic (formerly Cibachrome). I have probably 1800+ large format reversal images shot over the years. I have always loved the direct positive to positive results with Ilforchrome; the saturated colors on that glossy print. My style of photography is more documentary style than pretty pictures. Sometimes I refer to my images as "Large Format Snapshots". I learned that you can sit and wait for hours waiting for that "Supreme Instant" (a Weston quote) with the proper alignment, light, shadow, and it never materializes.

With the phasing out of Ilfochrome Classic, I am resigned to the thought of having high resolution scans done of my past and future reversal images, and trying some new archival digital prints, but I will miss my old positive to positive process.

Kirk Gittings
23-Sep-2014, 09:12
Give me a call if you ever get down to ABQ. I don't get up that way too often (where are you exactly?), though I am doing work at the Bisti for an upcoming exhibit.

Timothy Blomquist
23-Sep-2014, 10:51
Hi Kirk, I am up here in Farmington, beautiful San Juan County. If you're working the Bisti De-na-zin Wilderness, we're entering the perfect time of the year to photgraph there. I was exploring out there in June (with a Nikon D300S) scouting large format locations. Just a tad bit too hot.

Kirk Gittings
23-Sep-2014, 12:17
Jan Pietrzak and I will be up that way in November scouting for a wprkshop we are going to offer.

Timothy Blomquist
23-Sep-2014, 12:47
Jan Pietrzak and I will be up that way in November scouting for a wprkshop we are going to offer.
I've lived here for 26 years. Lots of interesting places to photograph. I could point out some for you. Let me know if interested.

Kirk Gittings
23-Sep-2014, 12:51
Thanks. I appreciate the offer. The places we are going to I have been to in the neighborhood of 50 times (I did a book on Chaco and have been into the Bisti with photographers who have worked there regularly for 30 years). Just hadn't looked at it from the POV of a workshop. If you want to meetup though that would be fine.

Timothy Blomquist
23-Sep-2014, 14:50
Kirk, that would be nice to meetup. Never been to a workshop, though. For me, I go through phases of shooting LF, then stopping for a while doing different formats. Many times over the years here in the Four Corners area during the Fall I would grab my Leica R7 and flash, loaded with Kodachrome 200 (I miss that film) and do dusk photography of Navajos selling Kneel Down Bread on the highway between Farmington and Shiprock.

My first formal class in Photography was a the U of A in Tucson in the Fall of 1978. Took a class by W. Eugene Smith, who was a guest lecturer at the U of A and my first exposure to his documentary photography. Didn't finish the class because he dropped dead in a grocery store there that Autumn. Got to watch another notable photographer by the name of William Larson when he was working on his Tucson Gardens series in 1982.

My first real interest in 8x10 happened due to a New Mexico photographer. There was a showing at the University of Arizona around 1980 or so of the work of William Clift, Santa Fe photographer. I stood there in awe looking as close as I could to all the intricate detail contained in those large B&W prints. After that I had to shoot 8x10. I was hooked!!!

Kirk Gittings
23-Sep-2014, 15:04
Yes me too. He has inspired me for decades. Clift honored me when his big show was in SF a year ago by volunteering (out of the blue he saw a posting of mine on Facebook and contacted me) to give a talk to my class at SFUAD who I was taking on a field trip to Andrew Smith's and his show at the NM Museum of Art-a fabulous experience.

David Lobato
23-Sep-2014, 19:15
Welcome. I get up that way once or twice a year to visit relatives. I like the many opportunities to photograph 15 minutes to 2 hours driving from Farmington, in all directions. Can't wait to go again.

Andrew O'Neill
23-Sep-2014, 19:32
Welcome to the forum, Timothy!

Peter Collins
24-Sep-2014, 05:41
Welcome, Tim! Or do you prefer Timothy?

Timothy Blomquist
24-Sep-2014, 07:31
Welcome, Tim! Or do you prefer Timothy?
Tim is fine. More often people have trouble with my last name.....:)

Kirk Gittings
24-Sep-2014, 08:19
Bloomquist-from "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" fame :)

Timothy Blomquist
24-Sep-2014, 09:36
Bloomquist-from "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" fame :)
Good memory! In Sweden my name is Blomqvist, with the long "O" sound, like Blohmqvist. When my GG Grandfather came from Sweden in 1882, he simplified it with a quist, instead of qvist. Translation of the name: Flowered Branch.

To add to the confusion of names, my youngest son's first name is Christoffer, with that exact spelling. The double ff already confuses people who expect the ph in the spelling.

Jan Pietrzak
25-Sep-2014, 10:16
Hi, Tim

I guess Kirk is letting the cat out of the bag by talking about doing a workshop. We will see what happens. Let's get together up in the Bisti. And welcome to the forum.

Jan in Santa Fe

Timothy Blomquist
25-Sep-2014, 13:39
Jan,

Thanks for the greeting. Bisti Badlands sounds good. You have to realize right now I'm shooting with both 8x10 and 4x5 Sinar monorail cameras. In fact I sold my Wisner Technical Field a month ago so I am sans lightweight easily transportable cameras. This week I have been mounting my lenses on Sinar boards from their former wooden counterparts. I am trying to figure out the best way to carry my gear into the Badlands once past that little fence. As you probably know, it doesn't get interesting until you hike a while back to the east and southeast from the entrance. My 15 year old son wants a dog and he recommended a large canine as a possible pack animal...;) I would be in hot water with the PETA people in short order.

Jan Pietrzak
25-Sep-2014, 14:11
Tim,

For a number of years I packed a Cambo in and old Kelty frame pack It hung up side down across the top rail of the pack. Next came a wooden camera of some brand? So the search keeps going. I have worked with Linhofs for years. A good work and personal camera. When I needed a super studio camera I had a few friends that had Sinars It all worked out. You should be able to fold the Sinar flat and pack it. Of course it would be a pain to set-up. Lets talk about how we can find a good way to work. The trip will not happen until Late October early November.

Jan

Timothy Blomquist
25-Sep-2014, 14:32
My Sinar 8x10 f1 or 4x5 f could easily be "flattened" so it can be done. Weather the end of October should be nice. Compared to the rest of the State, we've had a dry year up here. 3.71 inches so far this year in total so rain may not be an issue.

gleaf
25-Sep-2014, 17:15
I can lend you a C-1 in a back pack load.... Not particularly a weigh advantage over the Sinar..

Timothy Blomquist
25-Sep-2014, 20:48
I can lend you a C-1 in a back pack load.... Not particularly a weigh advantage over the Sinar..
Thanks for the offer. I do have a Sinar P 4x5 I could convert to a C-1, but probably little difference in weight. I will probably end up taking apart the Sinar 8x10f and assemble on location.

dtheld
27-Sep-2014, 10:20
Tim:

Welcome to the Forum. Compared to you and other members, I'm a rookie - I've only been using 4x5 gear for the last 4 years. I'm certain that you will provide all of us with many insights based on your experience.

Kirk and Jan:

Now that the cat's out of the bag, I am very interested in attending a workshop in NW New Mexico. I've always wanted to take photographs in the area and just never got around to doing it. A workshop would be ideal to get a feel for the region. Please keep all the members posted on your progress.

Dave Held

Timothy Blomquist
27-Sep-2014, 10:47
Dave, thanks for the greeting. I assume you're in New Mexico as well. Don't call yourself a rookie. Someone who has taken the time to learn Large Format is a special breed of photographer. I've started with 4x5 when I was 18 years old. For me I learned the craft and technical stuff first, then concentrated on the Art. For me I'm not a pretty picture photographer, but more of a documentary image maker. I have been around many photographers who were all technical and scientific about how they worked. Ansel Adams was that way. He was a master photographer who was part scientist in his method. He was always amazed how his friend Edward Weston managed to get incredible images without any of the visible means Adams employed. It seems Weston learned from trial and error and worked via experience and instinct. I have done Large Format for 36 years and I have yet to take a workshop. I think attending one would be fun!

dtheld
27-Sep-2014, 11:19
Tim,

Thanks for the kind words. Although I love New Mexico, I live outside Denver. My wife and I try to get to Santa Fe and vicinity a couple of times a year.

Believe me, I am a rank amateur. I started my photographic endeavors about 46 years ago with a PX purchased Yashica Electro 35. I pretty much stopped even attempting to try to improve my methods, etc. for about 40 years. I stuck pretty much with 35mm until I retired and tried medium format. Finally, several years back, I decided to learn what I was doing and took a photo course at a local community college and I was hooked. I've been attending classes ever since. Bought my first 4x5 and then another and another - it seems that I'm a sucker for a deal. I really love using the 4x5s, but I need to improve.

New Mexico's landscape fascinates me. I hope to further explore its features. So far its only been in the Santa Fe area, but I hope to expand my horizons. That's why I'm interested in a workshop with Kirk and Jan - I hope that they decide to do it. For me, attending would be an invaluable learning experience and, yes, fun.

Dave

Tin Can
27-Sep-2014, 12:55
Welcome. The more actives the better!

John Kasaian
1-Oct-2014, 06:51
Welcome aboard!

Kirk Gittings
1-Oct-2014, 07:21
Tim:

Kirk and Jan:

Now that the cat's out of the bag, I am very interested in attending a workshop in NW New Mexico. I've always wanted to take photographs in the area and just never got around to doing it. A workshop would be ideal to get a feel for the region. Please keep all the members posted on your progress.

Dave Held

Tim thanks for your interest in our possible upcoming workshop next fall. We have a lot of thinking and prep to do for it as yet but Jan and I are enthusiastic about its potential. We will definitely keep everyone posted.

Kirk Gittings
1-Oct-2014, 07:30
Jan,

Thanks for the greeting. Bisti Badlands sounds good. You have to realize right now I'm shooting with both 8x10 and 4x5 Sinar monorail cameras. In fact I sold my Wisner Technical Field a month ago so I am sans lightweight easily transportable cameras. This week I have been mounting my lenses on Sinar boards from their former wooden counterparts. I am trying to figure out the best way to carry my gear into the Badlands once past that little fence. As you probably know, it doesn't get interesting until you hike a while back to the east and southeast from the entrance. My 15 year old son wants a dog and he recommended a large canine as a possible pack animal...;) I would be in hot water with the PETA people in short order.

I understand completely. I have relatively lightweight field kit based on a Phillips 4x5 at about 26 pds-less the tripod. Hiking into the Bisti last year convinced me that the most cost effective way to shed some weight was.........(drum roll).....for me to lose weight. I am down 18 lbs and working towards 30 to cover the weight of my kit.

Timothy Blomquist
19-Oct-2014, 17:24
I was out today with the Sinar P 8x10, with heavy duty rear standard, sporting the 150mm Nikkor SW, and a Schneider G-Claron 240mm. The location is a Navajo Indian Cemetery on the edge of my town. The photo of me is courtesy of my wife. Just goes to show you that a Sinar P can be used as field camera.

Tin Can
19-Oct-2014, 17:47
I understand completely. I have relatively lightweight field kit based on a Phillips 4x5 at about 26 pds-less the tripod. Hiking into the Bisti last year convinced me that the most cost effective way to shed some weight was.........(drum roll).....for me to lose weight. I am down 18 lbs and working towards 30 to cover the weight of my kit.

Great news Kirk! I am down 50 lbs from 3 years ago. I bought new clothes.

When I was 120 lbs, my motorcycle was always much faster than others.