PDA

View Full Version : Old repro camera. Help?

StianSvendsen
22-Sep-2014, 19:04
Hey guys!
New to the forum, came across it while searching for info about old repro cameras.

I came across this ad:
http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annonse?finnkode=51217832&searchclickthrough=true&searchQuery=m%C3%B8rkerom

The seller seems to know nothing about it.
I am hoping someone here can give me some info
and maybe even identify the camera(s)?

The info I am looking for:
- Manufacturer
- Lens
- Shutter
- Value
- And last but not least, can I convert this to a semi-transportable camera for direct positives?
- Will it focus to infinity?
- How would I load and unload the camera?

I know it's gonna be a challenge, but I live for challenges.
I have to admit I'm on thin ice as far as knowlegde about these cameras go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards, Stian Svendsen.

mdarnton
22-Sep-2014, 19:22
Don't do it. Those things are cast iron, weigh hundreds of pounds, on a non-portable iron stand weighing even more, and aren't cameras in the sense that we think of them. Many of them are made to be built into the wall of a room, with the film side in the darkroom, the rest outside, as it does in fact look that one is. The film is held in place by a vacuum motor, and the back isn't light tight and doesn't have to be because it's in the darkroom. The shutter is one speed, open and closed, and electrically powered by the red panel on a stand with the dials. The best thing about it will be the lens. Many of us here have gotten lenses from these when people had the camera trucked away to salvage and saved only the lens as the one part someone might take.

The first three photos don't show the camera, but a stand that sits in front of the camera moving back and forth on the long camera track, holding flat print material for copying (notice the lights pointed at it.) The whole track might be something as much as 2 meters or more (I'm guessing more for this one) long. I'm betting that you have no idea how large the thing is--it is gigantic--it may not even fit in a small truck for moving.

Here's the concept: http://thelawlers.com/Blognosticator/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Process-Camera-illust.png
The older ones were made of wood and had some promise, taken to pieces, as a large camera, but with something with as much iron as the one in your photos, it's going to weigh a lot and be permanently where you put it.

StianSvendsen
22-Sep-2014, 19:40
Thanks for the great answers!
I will ask the seller if I can pick parts for a cheap buck
and save them for a build down the road.

After reading your information I highly doubt someone will
take this whole thing off her hands.

dsphotog
22-Sep-2014, 21:03
I say grab it!!! (If you have room for it).
I picked up an 18"x22" Brown process camera with a red dot Artar lens, from a local newspaper that had gone digital, for FREE! They were happy someone wanted to use it, saving in from the scrapyard.
The rail is 10 feet long, setting it up is my winter project. I think it'll be great for still life shooting on xray film.
I dis-assembled, and moved it with no help.
You could also build a horiz. enlarger.

Jac@stafford.net
22-Sep-2014, 21:17
When our repro department closed, they offered one to me. They even offered to truck it to my house which is only a few blocks away. No way! Where would I put it? What is it good for? Make a dog house of it? I did take four lenses. Sold them on that auction site. Go for the lenses.

dsphotog
26-Sep-2014, 10:40
If it's being parted out, the bellows should be useful to somebody.

DrTang
26-Sep-2014, 11:23
Stort makes the camera

the film processor MSR? - never heard of them

the thing is huge though

all of it is huge

there might be lenses and maybe a lightsource that you could use

I used to own/use a small verticle agfaa stat cam for a while - it was kinda cool before scanners and all that killed the concept off

el french
26-Sep-2014, 18:25
You just need to think a little larger: http://www.cameratruck.net/Site/Landing.html

StianSvendsen
29-Sep-2014, 22:01
Thanks for the answers, guys!
Me and a friend are actually considering making
a trailer camera somewhere down the line!