PDA

View Full Version : Linhof help needed

jjw
16-Sep-2014, 16:07
I've been fortunate enough (or crazy enough) to buy a bunch of stuff from a deceased estate- it includes 2 Linhof Technikas and accessories that I am trying to identify. Maybe someone could help me here.

One (I Think it's a Tech 4), is numbered 62582 on the accessory shoe. The case is white. Has a RF, LH pistol grip. Symmar 150 fitted.

The other serial is 5091058. Black case, RF, LH pistol grip, roll film back. Symmar 100 fitted.

Also a bunch of accessories- A tele-Hexar (looks like) 40cm lens- macro??? Schneider-Kreuznach 270 & 90 lenses, spare 56x72 film back.

They are both cased- one aluminium.

And this is just 2 of the cameras! 2 more to investigate, plus several boxes of pieces!

I would greatly appreciate any help in ID-ing these cameras. They are in beautiful condition.

jcc
16-Sep-2014, 16:09
Photos would greatly help in your quest.

jbenedict
16-Sep-2014, 18:16
Depending on how much you paid, of course, anything Linhof is pretty valuable and, if it was amateur used, should be in great shape. They are rugged and reliable.

Photos would really help. There are many Linhof owners here and the rep for the Linhof agency in the US, Bob Salomon, checks in every couple of days and knows or has access to all information for Linhof of any age.

jjw
16-Sep-2014, 21:34
Here are pix of my 2 new finds.

Bob Salomon
17-Sep-2014, 02:14
I've been fortunate enough (or crazy enough) to buy a bunch of stuff from a deceased estate- it includes 2 Linhof Technikas and accessories that I am trying to identify. Maybe someone could help me here.

One (I Think it's a Tech 4), is numbered 62582 on the accessory shoe. The case is white. Has a RF, LH pistol grip. Symmar 150 fitted.

The other serial is 5091058. Black case, RF, LH pistol grip, roll film back. Symmar 100 fitted.

Also a bunch of accessories- A tele-Hexar (looks like) 40cm lens- macro??? Schneider-Kreuznach 270 & 90 lenses, spare 56x72 film back.

They are both cased- one aluminium.

And this is just 2 of the cameras! 2 more to investigate, plus several boxes of pieces!

I would greatly appreciate any help in ID-ing these cameras. They are in beautiful condition.

62582 is a Nov. 1956 Super Technika IV 4x5
5091058 is a Aug 1979 Super Technika V 23b 2x3 camera

jbenedict
17-Sep-2014, 11:48
The 2x3 camera would be pretty cool to have. All of the larger camera's movements but in a smaller size. The genuine Linhof roll holders are more expensive than other brands but expense and quality are kind of relative. Would be easy to use handheld if it had a viewfinder.

djdister
17-Sep-2014, 14:20
Very cool cameras indeed!

al olson
17-Sep-2014, 14:54
The 2x3 camera would be pretty cool to have. All of the larger camera's movements but in a smaller size. The genuine Linhof roll holders are more expensive than other brands but expense and quality are kind of relative. Would be easy to use handheld if it had a viewfinder.

The 2x3 Linhofs do not have all of the 4x5 movements. They are lacking shift and swing for the front standard. It was assumed that, because of its smaller size, if a photographer wanted shift or swing it could be accomplished by rotating the camera 90 degrees and using rear tilt (forward tilt is accomplished by dropping the bed and adjusting rear tilt) or rise. Of course it would be impossible to combine rear tilt with left swing, say, for the front standard. But you can accomplish these adjustments by also adjusting the rear standard.

I am puzzled because your photo does not show the knobs for adjusting rise and rear tilt. The knob on the upper right of the standard does not conform to photographs of the camera, either.

I have and use both the two-sided holders and Grafmatics with mine. I also have the older Rolex knob wind holder, but it is a pain to use.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Sep-2014, 15:56
The white 4x5" Technika would be a medical version, I suspect. I'd be curious to know if it has any special features, other than being white.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Sep-2014, 16:02
The 2x3 Linhofs do not have all of the 4x5 movements. They are lacking shift and swing for the front standard. It was assumed that, because of its smaller size, if a photographer wanted shift or swing it could be accomplished by rotating the camera 90 degrees and using rear tilt (forward tilt is accomplished by dropping the bed and adjusting rear tilt) or rise. Of course it would be impossible to combine rear tilt with left swing, say, for the front standard. But you can accomplish these adjustments by also adjusting the rear standard.

I am puzzled because your photo does not show the knobs for adjusting rise and rear tilt. The knob on the upper right of the standard does not conform to photographs of the camera, either.

If we're talking about the 2x3, this is the last version of the Tech V 23b, and the knob on the upper right of the front standard is the knob for the front rise. The two knobs on the top of the body are for the rear tilt, and there should a knob on each side toward the bottom as well to release the bottom rear corners, but the photo is a little too blurry to tell. I have the earlier version of the Tech V 23b, which is identical to this one, except it has the tan leatherette, rather than the black.

jjw
17-Sep-2014, 21:39
If we're talking about the 2x3, this is the last version of the Tech V 23b, and the knob on the upper right of the front standard is the knob for the front rise. The two knobs on the top of the body are for the rear tilt, and there should a knob on each side toward the bottom as well to release the bottom rear corners, but the photo is a little too blurry to tell. I have the earlier version of the Tech V 23b, which is identical to this one, except it has the tan leatherette, rather than the black.

Thanks for all the great info, people. I may well be selling one or both of these gems when I have sorted through the boxes and boxes of photographic stuff that I have acquired. There's at least 2 more LF cams, and I can't keep it all- no room, no bucks, no time to use it all! One's a nice old Tele Graflex, and the other is an Orbit monorail. Stay tuned!

al olson
18-Sep-2014, 11:43

Thanks for the explanation. Mine is a III. The IV pictured in The Linhof Camera Story (2000, page 96) looks identical to my III. I was assuming that this was the last 6x9 produced.

I was not aware that there was a Type V produced in this format until I checked the book again. On page 67 I see the camera that matches the photo from the OP. It turns out that the V was introduced in 1976 and remained available as of the printing in 2000.

al olson
18-Sep-2014, 11:50
jjw:

The 2x3 baby Linhof should have a three-bladed cam (most likely on the camera) and two or three lenses that have been calibrated for the cam. These would include a normal lens, a wide angle and/or a telephoto. The system will be more valuable for sale if you keep the complete set together.

Bob Salomon
18-Sep-2014, 12:11
Thanks for the explanation. Mine is a III. The IV pictured in The Linhof Camera Story (2000, page 96) looks identical to my III. I was assuming that this was the last 6x9 produced.

I was not aware that there was a Type V produced in this format until I checked the book again. On page 67 I see the camera that matches the photo from the OP. It turns out that the V was introduced in 1976 and remained available as of the printing in 2000.

Not quite. The V was replaced by the later 23b version which, like the Master Technika, had a lift-up flap on the body housing that allowed more movements with very short lenses. The Super Technika V 6x9 was made from Jan. 1969 to the end of 1978. The Super Technika V 23b was then introduced originally in 1975 but production was started in Dec. 1978. It was discontinued in the early 2000's. The picture on page 67, as you can tell from the slide locks on the top of the camera housing, is the 23b model.

Today Linhof makes three different 6x9 cameras; the TK 23S, The Techno and the M679cs.

al olson
22-Sep-2014, 18:49
Thanks for the update, Bob. My Linhof Camera Story does not mention a successor to the type V. I have to ask: was there also a 23a that preceded the 23b. 23b seems like a strange designation if there was not.

Although I recall seeing one or two of the type III Super Technikas in use by press photographers, I think most were used with the Rolex back for wedding photography. A wonderful camera, but it seems almost as heavy as the 4x5 these days.

Bob Salomon
22-Sep-2014, 19:03
Thanks for the update, Bob. My Linhof Camera Story does not mention a successor to the type V. I have to ask: was there also a 23a that preceded the 23b. 23b seems like a strange designation if there was not.

Although I recall seeing one or two of the type III Super Technikas in use by press photographers, I think most were used with the Rolex back for wedding photography. A wonderful camera, but it seems almost as heavy as the 4x5 these days.
No. There was the Super Technika V 23 and that was replaced with the Super Technika V 23b. Which was the last version made of the Technika 23 series.