PDA

View Full Version : Source for 11x14 film holders ?

Jan Van Hove
23-Nov-2004, 15:51
Lisco/Fidelity used to make 11x14 film holders, now out of production, but does anyone know if there is still a place where they can be found ??
Thanks

PJ

Oren Grad
23-Nov-2004, 16:30
I'm aware of the following available new:

1) Tachihara holders from Midwest (www.mpex.com)

Very quirky construction, mostly wood and plastic, but in my first and only test so far, mine proved to be light-tight.

2) S&S holders from Quality Camera (www.qualitycamera.com)

Nice, traditional wooden construction. Measure your back very carefully and make sure the S&S holders will fit - I've had a problem with the S&S 11x14 holders and a back constructed by Alan Brubaker that is within ANSI spec. On the plus side, my S&S 6.5x8.5 holders have held up well under moderate use over time.

3) Lotus holders (www.lotusviewcamera.at)

Expensive! I've never used one of these myself.

4) Alan Brubaker (www.filmholders.com).

Has an unpredictable production schedule - don't know how long you'd have to wait. Also, his web page is down as I write this - I hope things are OK with him...

Oren Grad
23-Nov-2004, 16:32
PS - I did specifically search for any new-old-stock Fidelity holders last year, with no luck. I have found a couple of clean used ones.

Michael Kadillak
23-Nov-2004, 16:42
S&S holders are your best bet when you look at both cost and functionality. I have several in 11x14 and 12x20. The other variable that you should consider is that Sandy King (one of the "S" owners of the company and a fellow ULF shooter) will make sure that you are satisfied after the purchase and that is a breath of fresh air as there are other LF business owners just do not get the importance of treating customers right.

I had an S&S holder that had a slide that was a bit tight and Sandy took care of me pronto without a question.

I agree with Oren that insuring that your camera is set up to take the correct type of holder is critical as there are several configurations floating around. If you have a questions, contact Sandy.

Cheers and have a great time with your 11x14!

Colin Myers
25-Nov-2004, 09:24
Hi Jan,
Eddie Hill of Gandolfi in the U.K. still has a small quantity of new "Fidelity", Medical Holder D.D.S.
at very attractive prices, I would suggest you contact him. They will soon go!
Good Luck Colin Myers

Jan Van Hove
25-Nov-2004, 09:52
thanks Colin,

I'll check in with Eddie at Gandolfi,

PJ

Alan Brubaker
29-Nov-2004, 12:26
Hello Oren,

Well I am back online and the website is up and running. The website was cancelled temporary! I am now in the process of making 11x14 holders in cherrywood, walnut, padouk, and beech.

Have a great day!