PDA

View Full Version : Ultrafine/econo-films

Mark Sawyer
22-Nov-2004, 22:12
I'm getting near the end of my 8x10 Delta 100 and HP5, and am considering a switch to Photo Warehouse's Ultrafine 125 and 400 speed films. (Never used the stuff before.) Looking at some old posts on this forum, there were concerns about the Ultrafine film being cut slightly off-size, and speculation as to whether it was repackaged FP4 and HP5. Anyone have recent experience or opinions? Any other film I should consider? Thanks!

ronald lamarsh
22-Nov-2004, 22:50
Try the efke pl100 very nice film unfortunately they don't make a fastr film

luca_3797
23-Nov-2004, 03:01
Mark,
I have used the Ulktrafine film in 5x7 -8x10 and 7x17 forrmat.Rated at 125 ASA and used at 100.It 's a good film and very similar to the FP4.You can alsways give a try.the Efke is less contrasty but not so bad.
Next time I'll buy the 11x14 negative from Photowarehouse but I have not finish to build up the camera yet.

Salty
23-Nov-2004, 05:16
I've been using Ultrafine 125 for about 2 years now and it appears to be FP4+, at least it responds to the developer times of various developers. The service on my last 2 orders has been slow, last month it took 3 weeks to get my 8x10 and 4x5 sheets and I was told on each phone call that they hadn't cut the sheets yet. One manager and two sales reps all told me that each order was specifically cut for the individual. (yeah, right).

Michael Jones
23-Nov-2004, 15:45
It is cut for each individual order.

Do you actually think a non-camera store stocks every conceivable size of film at lower cost than anyone else on the planet?

Mike

tim atherton
23-Nov-2004, 15:58
"Do you actually think a non-camera store stocks every conceivable size of film at lower cost than anyone else on the planet?"

What's a "non-camera" store when it's at home?

Photowarehouse is basically a film and paper (darkroom and digital) wholesale store isn't it? It's main market used to be schools and colleges I think.

Back to the question - what about the Ultrafine 400 sheet film? I don't think it's HP5+ (if their dev times for it are anythign to go by). Anyone know what it is?

Michael Jones
23-Nov-2004, 16:52
Actually its a graphics arts supply house, like Badger. (Have you ever looked at Badger's other web site?)

I don't know about the 400, but the 125 seems to be a clone of FP4.

Mike

Salty
23-Nov-2004, 19:12
I bought a bulk roll of Ultrafine 400 a year ago and it responded the the HP5 times of PMK so it might be. As for the Ultrafine 400 sheet, I don't see much of a price difference comparing it against Arista Pro 400 offered by Freestyle.