PDA

View Full Version : Chicago LFP Group

Pages : [1] 2

diversey
11-Sep-2014, 13:00
Is anybody interested in having a LFP group in Chicago? Thanks, David

mdarnton
11-Sep-2014, 13:59
I would do it. Even better if you kept it in our neighborhood. :-)

Tin Can
11-Sep-2014, 14:25
Yes, especially if we actually would meet inside city limits.

jackies
11-Sep-2014, 19:56
Hi,

There is a LF group that meets monthly in the Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana area. They move around every month shooting different things.

They meet the 3rd Saturday of the month and have a large print review session in January.

You can find them at - http://www.deepthought.com/smf/index.php

Hope to see you there sometime,
J

Tin Can
11-Sep-2014, 20:10
I do know of that group and I thought I had joined it online.

They drive a lot, I'm a city guy, I seldom leave the city.

And I sold my car...

diversey
11-Sep-2014, 21:10
This is great! We have a group now! What should we do first? Suggestions? Look forward to meeting you guys. Thanks, David

Tin Can
11-Sep-2014, 21:24
We should try to find a few more Chicago LF shooters and schedule a meeting in an empty coffee shop, not the most popular coffee shop.

Then at that meeting we can decide what is next.

Since you started it, I suggest you make another thread with a more descriptive title. Something inviting. Perhaps.

'Wanted Chicago LF shooters to meet in Chicago SOON!'

This current thread's title doesn't say much...

diversey
11-Sep-2014, 22:04
Randy: Great idea! I'll do as you have suggested and invite more LFP lovers to join us. Thanks, David

mdarnton
12-Sep-2014, 07:13
There's a nice little place near my shop that is centrally located and would be easy for everyone to get to:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ge-pa-de-caffe-chicago-3

We could all bring our 8x10s and throw them on the table for show and tell, the same way the Leica people do when they have their little cafe meetings. :-)

diversey
12-Sep-2014, 08:22
Michael: Thanks for the link of Coffee shop. It is a great place to get together. David

Tin Can
12-Sep-2014, 08:37
Well, that is a start.

Perhaps informal critique is a way forward.

We need to define a purpose for meeting. Most photographers seem to be independent operators compared to my movie making friends.

Are we meeting for,

Fellowship?
Critique?
Business advice?
Hobbyist purposes?
Gear swap?
Location sharing?
Technical advice?
Darkroom visits?
Studio visits?
I dunno, but why?

I am a retired mechanic turned photo hobbyist, that chose LF 3 years ago as something to keep me sane. I know most of my images are not great, but I strive for improvement. However, deadly critique could kill my hobby. I have a MFA from SAIC, so I do know critique and how they can go bad...or good. I consider LF process a Performance Art.

We will be common to each other only by our choice to live in Chicago and shoot LF.

I am not trying to put a damper on things, but I do realize how independent we all may be.

I often quote Groucho Marx, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

mdarnton
12-Sep-2014, 10:01
I personally will attend as part of my plan to achieve world domination. Any activities that aren't specifically planned to crush that will be OK with me. My shop (and studio) is right across the street from the cafe, if few enough people show up to not freak me out letting people see my place.

So, critiquing Randy and crushing my world domination scenario are out. That still leaves a bit.

MIke Sherck
12-Sep-2014, 10:23
You should say something on the Midwest Large Format Asylum's website. Lots of folks from Chicago there, and not everyone cares to drive. There's no reason why people can't participate in both groups.

Mike

Tin Can
12-Sep-2014, 10:27
Got me to laugh, and that's tough.

I will meet at the cafe, I am often in the area.

I personally will attend as part of my plan to achieve world domination. Any activities that aren't specifically planned to crush that will be OK with me. My shop (and studio) is right across the street from the cafe, if few enough people show up to not freak me out letting people see my place.

So, critiquing Randy and crushing my world domination scenario are out. That still leaves a bit.

diversey
12-Sep-2014, 11:59
Mike: We definitely welcome all people who are interested in LFP. Please ask LFP photographer you know to join us! Thanks. David

mdarnton
12-Sep-2014, 19:15
Anyone for a quick cup of coffee tomorrow morning, 10 or 11AM or so? I'm available.

diversey
12-Sep-2014, 19:55
Michael: I will be able to come at 11AM and have a cup of coffee with you. The coffee shop you suggested? Thanks, David

mdarnton
12-Sep-2014, 20:59
OK! 11am! The coffee shop is on the NE corner of Adams and Wabash, about 100 feet East of the corner, towards the Art Institute, and I'll be there. Anyone else interested can show up!

diversey
13-Sep-2014, 04:44
Ok, see you soon.

Tin Can
13-Sep-2014, 09:10
I was busy. Perhaps 24 hour notice would work better for me.

mdarnton
13-Sep-2014, 10:21
That's OK. We're talking about next Saturday to do it again. Any takers?

Tin Can
13-Sep-2014, 10:26
Next Saturday is Art Expo at Navy Pier.

I will be there.

I have very limited walking stamina. Navy Pier will be a hassle, but I am glad it's back there and gone from the Mart.

diversey
13-Sep-2014, 16:29
Another forum member from Chicago also wanted to come next Saturday. Should we set up a time and a place now, any more suggestions? Thanks.

mdarnton
14-Sep-2014, 10:24
I'm OK with something next Saturday.

I wish people who are interested would post here rather than private message, so we can all get a feel for numbers and names.

diversey
15-Sep-2014, 06:21
Yes, please post here. There are a lot of photogenic sites in Chicago!

zero megapixel
15-Sep-2014, 13:27
If I can throw a place to meet into the hat for the future....

Let Them Eat Chocolate - (Its a Coffee Shop as well)
5306 N. Damen Ave
Chicago, IL 60625

Weekends they are open from:
Sat: 11am to 9pm
Sun: 11am to 6pm
Sometimes they have events so its good to call and check ahead of time but its a quaint low key place in a non busy neighborhood with a good amount of seating and free WiFi.
Decent parking around for those driving and public transportation is just a few steps away.

diversey
15-Sep-2014, 13:41
It sounds a nice place! Thanks.

evan clarke
15-Sep-2014, 18:05
We've had a group loosely centered in Chicago for about 12 years now..The Midwest Large Format Asylum

mdarnton
15-Sep-2014, 18:41
I was already aware of that group, myself. I don't know about the others, but I'm interested in a small Chicago group because I really do not want to be running all over five states in a herd of 250 photographers or even ten. Me, I'm looking for a nice relaxing hour or two, close to home, which that group does not sound aimed at.

For instance, the reason I'd suggested a central loop location for the first meeting was so that everyone would probably have an equally direct line to the site by public transit, rather than going sideways through Chicago, requiring cars and more fuss for some people more than others. If the intent had been to inconvenience people, Diversey and I happen to live a couple of blocks from each other, and could have met in our own neighborhood..

As it is, I have a visitor this weekend, and won't be able to pry even a half day out of my schedule.... maybe a couple of hours. I suspect there may be more than a few people around who have similar busy weekends.

NickyLai
15-Sep-2014, 20:47
For instance, the reason I'd suggested a central loop location for the first meeting was so that everyone would probably have an equally direct line to the site by public transit, rather than going sideways through Chicago, requiring cars and more fuss for some people more than others. If the intent had been to inconvenience people, Diversey and I happen to live a couple of blocks from each other, and could have met in our own neighborhood..

As it is, I have a visitor this weekend, and won't be able to pry even a half day out of my schedule.... maybe a couple of hours. I suspect there may be more than a few people around who have similar busy weekends.

+1

Chicago has good public transit. Just make up a plan and let people come at their own will/please/convenience, big things have small beginnings. This forum is a good place to communicate.

I like to attend meeting in the future whenever possible, except this month.

diversey
16-Sep-2014, 07:58
Hi, Michael and Nicky: You guys made good points. We probably will start a loose/informal LFP group within this forum and have a meet up once a month. Maybe it will be the first weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, each month. More suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

diversey
16-Sep-2014, 12:39
Chicago is one of the most photogenic city, LFP too. Here is one 4x5 I took over the weekend in Osaka Garden which was created in Chicago World's Fair in 1893.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WWw0WHj-sIE/VBeBGLz9TyI/AAAAAAAABoM/VfmmQHkwL3Q/s1600/Osaka%2BGardem%2Bweb2.tif
Tachihara Camera 4x5
Kodak Tri-X 320 (Rated 200)
Caltar II-E 210mm/6.8
F22, 1/8S, Yellow Filter
Xtol 1:1, 68F, Rotary, 71/4 min
Epson 4990 Photo
Photoshop CS4

mdarnton
16-Sep-2014, 13:38
I saw that in your photos and didn't know it was in Chicago. Great photo!

diversey
16-Sep-2014, 18:13
Thanks. This place is in South, near Univ of Chicago, behind Science and industry museum.

diversey
17-Sep-2014, 08:01
Anybody? More suggestions!

Tin Can
17-Sep-2014, 09:55
Well, I am partial to Wicker Park as I have lived near here for 35 years.

But downtown is center city.

Al EL go to the Loop. And I have a free pass! Good anywhere in 6 counties, Metra, CTA Bus and EL

I don't own a cage (automobile). So I bike, bicycle or CTA everywhere.

diversey
17-Sep-2014, 12:57
Randy: You are a Chicagoan! I Have a car, but rarely drive it. I like CTA which can take you anywhere you want to go in Chicagoland and no worry about traffic.

Tin Can
17-Sep-2014, 13:28
My favorite is jumping on the Blue Line which is 2 blocks away and arriving inside O'Hare Airport. Not many cities have airports inside city limits, we have 2 in Chicago, and accessible by train from city center. We used to have 3 airports inside city limits, but that last one is better as a lakefront park.

I use ZipCar once a month for errands.

Randy: You are a Chicagoan! I Have a car, but rarely drive it. I like CTA which can take you anywhere you want to go in Chicagoland and no worry about traffic.

zero megapixel
17-Sep-2014, 15:23
Just checking since all the Chicago people are in here.....

Anyone heading out to the Photorama camera show this Sunday?
I need a few things and have a few things to sell/possibly trade and thought I'd check it out before I hit eBay.

Could make for a nice impromptu meet.

diversey
17-Sep-2014, 16:51
I have nerve been there before and missed the opportunities. I plan to go there Sunday.

zero megapixel
17-Sep-2014, 17:05
I have nerve been there before and missed the opportunities. I plan to go there Sunday.

Well I see lotsa people here don't drive, perhaps arrange a carpool for those who'd like to go since I believe public transportation out there isn't an option or would take forever.
I'd offer but I have lunch plans afterwards in Schaumburg.
I went there 2 years ago before my film adventure and they had lots of goodies, hopefully nothings changed.

Link for those who aren't aware: http://www.photorama.com/dates.html

What cracked me up was, I had my camera bag with me and several people even before I got in the show area all hit me up with... 'Got anything to sell?'
The first few were amusing but after that I really started to get annoyed.

diversey
17-Sep-2014, 17:59
Sunday September 21st , 2014
OPEN TO PUBLIC 10-3pm
$6 Admission, $5 with coupon, Students $2 with ID

CHICAGO CAMERA
SHOW & SALE
HOLIDAY INN-ROLLING MEADOWS
3405 Algonquin Road,
I-90 or 290 West to 53 North to
Algonquin Road East 2 Blocks, Rolling Meadows, IL

diversey
17-Sep-2014, 18:04
I will drive there Sunday morning. Please PM me by Friday night if you want to have a ride. I went to Tamarkin Leica store in Chicago over the weekend and talked about Photorama Camera Show with the store owner. He suggested bring a lot of cash if you go.

zero megapixel
17-Sep-2014, 18:17
I will drive there Sunday morning. Please PM me by Friday night if you want to have a ride. I went to Tamarkin Leica store in Chicago over the weekend and talked about Photorama Camera Show with the store owner. He suggested bring a lot of cash if you go.

Its not that bad if you look around and wheel and deal....
I was able to pick up a Canon 85mm 1.2L USM for $850, helluva lot better than I would have found elsewhere.
But I did see a lot of good deals on stuff I didn't need.....

How will we all find each other, wear a white carnation on our right shoulders, LOL! :p

diversey
17-Sep-2014, 18:41
Its not that bad if you look around and wheel and deal....
I was able to pick up a Canon 85mm 1.2L USM for $850, helluva lot better than I would have found elsewhere.
But I did see a lot of good deals on stuff I didn't need.....

How will we all find each other, wear a white carnation on our right shoulders, LOL! :p

Great deal! I was told there are many Large format goods there for sale too.

zero megapixel
17-Sep-2014, 18:53
Great deal! I was told there are many Large format goods there for sale too.

Well when I was last there, it was 3/4 film gear of all formats but like I said this was back in my digital only stage.
Although I did look at everything like a kid in a toy store.

Hugo Zhang
17-Sep-2014, 19:08
Hi fellow Chicago LF members,

I have been trying to get in touch with a LF photographer in Chicago with the name Matt Morrison who ordered a 45N2 camera in teak/black two years ago. If you come across him by any chance, please ask him to contact Hugo.

Thanks.

diversey
17-Sep-2014, 19:25
Well when I was last there, it was 3/4 film gear of all formats but like I said this was back in my digital only stage.
Although I did look at everything like a kid in a toy store.

There will be a lot of fun there, I believe.

diversey
19-Sep-2014, 13:56
Please let me know if anyone wants to meet in Chicago this Saturday (Sept. 20) or Next weekend (either Oct. 4 or 5). Location is to be determined. Thanks.

mdarnton
19-Sep-2014, 15:32
Oct 4 or 5 is definitely better for me.

Tin Can
19-Sep-2014, 17:00
Me too, I need some time to repair my feet, Navy Pier just destroyed them...

Oct 4 or 5 is definitely better for me.

diversey
19-Sep-2014, 17:59
This is great. Thanks for your replies. Do you guys prefer Saturday or Sunday?

Tin Can
19-Sep-2014, 18:08
I am flexible, but Sunday usually has less happening in the late morning.

But many downtown places are closed Sunday. :(

I wish the world ran 24/7, everything would be less crowded...

diversey
20-Sep-2014, 04:45
Sunday is better, less crowded.

mdarnton
20-Sep-2014, 16:14
For me, either day is fine.

Was that you I saw at about 3PM on the lake near LaSalle? All I could see from the bus was someone's tail sticking out from the back of a dark cloth, camera pointed at the lake, and another person with another tripod.

diversey
20-Sep-2014, 16:45
It was not me. I went to art expo Chicago at navy pier Chicago this afternoon. There are a lot of contempory arts, some photographs but not that many. Some of Gordon Parker's b&w photos are amazing. I did go and shot some 4x5 this morning.

We probably wil meet Sunday (oct. 5) morning. Any more location suggestions.
Thanks.

diversey
23-Sep-2014, 16:16
Bump!

Tin Can
23-Sep-2014, 16:31
Let's get a plan for October 5th morning.

Who?
When?
Where?
Why?
What?

I was a college newspaper writer which taught me the 5 w's, to appreciate an editor and to always make the deadline.

Let's set the time first, then the place, let everybody know, then decide lastly or later what we are doing and why.

The first 3 are absolutely necessary for any meeting, the last 2 can be decided at the meetup.

Personally, I prefer a casual meeting where we simply get to know each other. We can plan more involved actions for the next meeting.

Some may want to share prints.

Some may want to roam the city shooting everything.

Some may just want fellowship.

Some may want tips or advice.

It goes on.

We can do much of that work right here, but our in person meetings will allow our personalities and talents to shine a little better than this forum provides.

inho

diversey
24-Sep-2014, 08:19
Randy: Yes, we will follow the 5Ws and post a meeting announcement this coming Monday. Thanks.

diversey
26-Sep-2014, 07:59
Bump!

NickyLai
26-Sep-2014, 10:03
Count me in please :)

diversey
26-Sep-2014, 10:20
Great! we will.:)

zero megapixel
26-Sep-2014, 12:54
Hey All,

I just want to let you know that if you need lens boards, I came across a gentleman yesterday here in Chicago that makes very outstanding lens boards for any needs.
I was looking on eBay for one and noticed he is located in Chicago and sent a message asking if I could just come pick up which he was happy to accommodate.
I absolutely refuse to pay upwards of $50 for a square piece of wood with a hole drilled in it and I bought 3 plain black 4x4 boards, a Copal 0, 1 and an undrilled for $24.
In his shop I saw numerous custom boards of various wood for a wide range of cameras that he really should be charging a crapload more but his prices are very reasonable.
The more intricate of course will be more but nowhere near some of the others I have seen around.

I'm not affiliated with pushing sales but he is an older gentleman possibly in his late 60's, from Poland and doesn't speak English well.

Just passing the word if anyone needs lens boards, he is located by Austin and Grand.

Tin Can
26-Sep-2014, 14:11
I use him often.

Another guy in Michigan has a slightly higher grade product, both are good, but not Ritter excellence.

Hey All,

I just want to let you know that if you need lens boards, I came across a gentleman yesterday here in Chicago that makes very outstanding lens boards for any needs.
I was looking on eBay for one and noticed he is located in Chicago and sent a message asking if I could just come pick up which he was happy to accommodate.
I absolutely refuse to pay upwards of $50 for a square piece of wood with a hole drilled in it and I bought 3 plain black 4x4 boards, a Copal 0, 1 and an undrilled for $24.
In his shop I saw numerous custom boards of various wood for a wide range of cameras that he really should be charging a crapload more but his prices are very reasonable.
The more intricate of course will be more but nowhere near some of the others I have seen around.

I'm not affiliated with pushing sales but he is an older gentleman possibly in his late 60's, from Poland and doesn't speak English well.

Just passing the word if anyone needs lens boards, he is located by Austin and Grand.

diversey
26-Sep-2014, 20:04
Very useful information! Thanks!

diversey
29-Sep-2014, 08:50
First Chicago LFP Group Meetup
Who: Mdarnton, Randy Moe, Nickylai and Diversey (confirmed user names). Anybody is still interested? Please reply this thread. Thanks!
When: October 5, 2014 (Sunday); 10Am-12Am.
Where: Ge Pa De Coffe, 60 E Adams St. Chicago, IL 60603 (next to art institute at intersection between Wabash and Adam), link:http://www.yelp.com/biz/ge-pa-de-caffe-chicago-3
Why: Your passion for large format photography.
What: Informal introduction, chat, discussion.

Please PM me if you need my cell phone number.
Cheers!

Tin Can
29-Sep-2014, 09:10
Good job, see you all there!

I'll be the guy with a camera...

diversey
29-Sep-2014, 10:02
Randy: thanks. Look forward to meeting you!

mdarnton
30-Sep-2014, 19:57
The Yelp hours say he's open then. I'll check and make sure.

Tin Can
30-Sep-2014, 20:03
Good idea, I checked Yelp also as they don't have a website.

That area most of the restaurants I use are closed on Sunday.

My favorite is Under 55, but it's strictly business lunch time.

The Yelp hours say he's open then. I'll check and make sure.

diversey
1-Oct-2014, 14:17
Bump!

first chicago lfp group meetup
who: mdarnton, randy moe, nickylai and diversey (confirmed user names). Anybody is still interested? Please reply this thread. Thanks!
when: october 5, 2014 (sunday); 10am-12am.
where: ge pa de coffe, 60 e adams st. Chicago, il 60603 (next to art institute at intersection between wabash and adam), link:http://www.yelp.com/biz/ge-pa-de-caffe-chicago-3
why: your passion for large format photography.
what: informal introduction, chat, discussion.

Please pm me if you need my cell phone number.
Cheers!

diversey
2-Oct-2014, 12:58
Bump!!!

Who: Mdarnton, Randy Moe, Nickylai and Diversey (confirmed user names). Anybody is still interested? Please reply this thread. Thanks!
Where: Ge Pa De Coffe, 60 E Adams St. Chicago, IL 60603 (next to art institute at intersection between Wabash and Adam), link:http://www.yelp.com/biz/ge-pa-de-caffe-chicago-3

Cheers!

mdarnton
2-Oct-2014, 14:20
I checked and the cafe IS open on Sunday.

Tin Can
2-Oct-2014, 15:35
Thank you, now I need to use an alarm to get there on time.

I'm a bit of a night owl.

diversey
2-Oct-2014, 20:20
Thanks for checking the Cafe shop. Michael F who shoots LF will come to the meetup from West Chicago on Sunday.

diversey
3-Oct-2014, 12:25
Last call prior to the first Chicago LFP Group Meetup.

Cheers!

Tin Can
3-Oct-2014, 12:54
Anybody packin?

mdarnton
3-Oct-2014, 13:03
Why? You want us to drive by and shoot out your windows around 7AM so that you wake up in time?

mdarnton
3-Oct-2014, 16:49
My shop is right across the street, so there is a possibility of a tour, with a camera there, but I will probably have something MF.

Tin Can
3-Oct-2014, 20:33
I usually carry a Pentax MX. But for this I will bring my baby Large Format Century Graphic view camera. Gotta be specific in these politically correct times. With sheet film, none of that bigger 120 roll film for me...

But I may change my mind. The Pentax is so nice.

It's not about show and tell, it's about meet each other. I hope. :)

My shop is right across the street, so there is a possibility of a tour, with a camera there, but I will probably have something MF.

JMB
4-Oct-2014, 08:39
Last call prior to the first Chicago LFP Group Meetup.

See you there!

diversey
4-Oct-2014, 09:21
JMB, look forward to meeting you! Thanks.

See you there!

diversey
4-Oct-2014, 10:07
We may discuss some topics below in our meetup tomorrow. Please also bring your ideas and thoughts to the meetup.
1. Introduce yourself
2. How should we organize the Chicago LFP Group?
3. How often should we meet? Monthly?
4. Is group shooting together feasible?
5. Are group LFP projects feasible? Architectures, landmarks, portraits, documentary, etc.
6. Print exchange, year-end group publication and exhibition, etc.
7. Darkroom and studio visits
8. Lectures and workshops
9. Show and tell (cameras, lenses and accessories)
10. Technique sharing

Confirmed attendees: mdarnton, Randy Moe, Nickylai, Michael F, JMB and diversey

Thanks, see you guys tomorrow morning.

diversey
5-Oct-2014, 13:57
The first Chicago LFP Group meetup this morning was very successful. It was so nice to meet everyone and chat LFP. I really appreciate mdarnton showed his studio to us. We have decided to have a meetup on the first Sunday morning, 10Am-12Pm each month. Next meetup will be November 2, Sunday. We will visit a darkroom in Chicago. New members are welcome. Thanks.

Tin Can
5-Oct-2014, 20:35
Evidence

mdarnton
6-Oct-2014, 07:39
Anyone who was there who's curious: once I got everything lubed, some stripped screw holes filled, and all tightened down, the tripod is working fine, and is a lot more steady than it was with everything loose. The handle that was hanging up on the leg turns out to be brass, and so bending it back to where it belongs was easy.

Tin Can
6-Oct-2014, 08:12
Great and thanks for the tour!

Anyone who was there who's curious: once I got everything lubed, some stripped screw holes filled, and all tightened down, the tripod is working fine, and is a lot more steady than it was with everything loose. The handle that was hanging up on the leg turns out to be brass, and so bending it back to where it belongs was easy.

diversey
6-Oct-2014, 09:13
Nice group photo, Thanks!
Central Camera is the only real camera shop left in City of Chicago. It started in 1899.

Evidence

diversey
6-Oct-2014, 09:15
That tripod is so nice!

diversey
6-Oct-2014, 09:42
Took this 4x5 yesterday with Busch Pressman D from the bridgeway, art museum Chicago.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lXqFIrZYTy4/VDIO-tjMjgI/AAAAAAAABqI/n_C07bSjvY8/s1600/img073C.tif

Tin Can
6-Oct-2014, 09:49
And without tripod, I assume. I have yet to be on bridge as it closes at 5 pm sharp.

I now remember your camera from Craigslist, it is a very nice one!

Took this 4x5 yesterday with Busch Pressman D from the bridgeway, art museum Chicago.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lXqFIrZYTy4/VDIO-tjMjgI/AAAAAAAABqI/n_C07bSjvY8/s1600/img073C.tif

NickyLai
6-Oct-2014, 11:50

Very nice, now use it in the field as it is too good to use in your impressive studio.:D

NickyLai
6-Oct-2014, 11:55

Good, a handy camera to shot the city.

diversey
14-Oct-2014, 07:58
Thanks for your kind comments!

diversey
14-Oct-2014, 08:02
Kind reminder. Our Chicago LFP Group meetup will be Sunday 10am-12pm, Nov, 2nd. We will visit a LFP darkroom in Chicago and I will send out the address to each of you one week prior to the meetup date. New members are welcome. Thanks.

diversey
22-Oct-2014, 12:35
Kind reminder.
Our Chicago LFP Group meetup will be Sunday 10am-12pm, Nov, 2nd. We will visit a LFP darkroom in Chicago.
I have sent the address where we will meet to everyone who attended the meetup last month.
New members are welcome, please PM me.
Look forward to seeing all of you.

Tin Can
22-Oct-2014, 12:57
Thank you

NickyLai
22-Oct-2014, 21:14
See you soon

diversey
27-Oct-2014, 08:49
Chicago LFP meetup: 10am-12PM this coming Sunday morning. Visiting a LFP darkroom in Chicago. New members are welcome. Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks.

JMB
27-Oct-2014, 10:02
See you there.

diversey
31-Oct-2014, 07:22
Kind reminder, our Chicago meetup will be this coming Sunday morning 10am-12pm, Nov. 2nd. Please PM me if you have any questions. Look forward to seeing everyone. Cheers!

Tin Can
31-Oct-2014, 07:46
I'll be there!

Andrew O'Neill
31-Oct-2014, 12:18
Can I go??

mdarnton
31-Oct-2014, 12:38
Are you in town? Or does it just sound so good that you want to fly in? :-)

Andrew O'Neill
31-Oct-2014, 13:28
The latter... one of these days I'll get to Chicago... Would be nice to meet you guys. In the meantime, have a great time!

Tin Can
1-Nov-2014, 09:48
Hi guys and gals, don't forget it's Daylight Savings Time Fall Back tonight at 2 am.

Adjust your clocks before Sunday morning.

Looking forward to seeing everybody tomorrow!

JMB
1-Nov-2014, 11:22
Can I go??

Maybe.

diversey
1-Nov-2014, 12:05
Can I go??
If you are serious, you may join us next month. We have limited space this time. Thank you for your interest. Best regards.

diversey
2-Nov-2014, 20:36
It was a great Chicago LFP meetup today! I would like to thank our host who showed us his darkroom setups and rarest cameras. Our next meetup will be December 7th, Sunday 10am-12pm. Cheers!

Tin Can
2-Nov-2014, 20:54
I agree it was a fruitful meeting. We did show and tell. We talked real fast.

And we made more plans!

Great 2 hours that became 3 hours!

Next month, prints and coffee shop meetup.

We even made tentative plans for a model shoot in January.

I was proud of my darkroom. :)

Tin Can
1-Dec-2014, 11:47
Hi Chicago LF members,

This Sunday is Toys for Tots Motorcycle event.

I will be out photographing it, so I cannot attend this month.

It is very fast moving, so very hard to shoot LF, I will be using DSLR and video.

Maybe I shoot some 4x5, if I can take the cold.

Info here. http://www.chicagolandtft.org/

Randy Moe

diversey
2-Dec-2014, 12:53
Our next Chicago LFP Group meetup will be Dec. 7, Sunday from 10am-12pm at GePaDe Caffe (https://plus.google.com/101953478064563018770/about?gl=us&hl=en). It will be a "show and tell" meetup. New members are welcome.
Best wishes. David

diversey
5-Dec-2014, 08:32
Kind reminder. Chicago LFP meet up this Sunday morning. Thanks.

mdarnton
5-Dec-2014, 09:56
I'll be there.

diversey
5-Dec-2014, 14:04
Mdarnton: Great! Look forward to seeing you. Cheers!

diversey
7-Dec-2014, 14:01
We had another successful meetup this morning and members who participated in the meetup this morning showed their beautiful works, film or digital photos. We welcome our new member, Chris K., who demonstrated his beautiful large format photography in his archeological book. Our next meetup will be Sunday morning, January 4th, 2015. Thanks.

NickyLai
9-Dec-2014, 22:14
It was very nice for Chris Kleihege shown us his beautiful book. I like history and found he has a podcast related to his work on the book in Caral here:

http://youtu.be/5P3GXYRhz5s

The photography looks much better in the book than in the podcast. I enjoy both anyway.

Thank you,
Nicky

diversey
10-Dec-2014, 08:46
Nice video! Thanks.

Tin Can
10-Dec-2014, 11:36
Hi all,

I am sorry, but I am withdrawing from the Chicago LF group. I really don't join groups and prefer to work alone.

Therefore, I will not be obtaining a model or doing a group shoot at my studio.

Good luck to you all.

Sincerely, Randy Moe

diversey
11-Dec-2014, 09:08
Randy: Sorry to hear that. We really appreciate your participation. Wish you the best. D

diversey
11-Dec-2014, 09:15
Our next meetup will be Sunday morning, January 4th, 2015. Thanks.

diversey
30-Dec-2014, 09:17
A kind reminder. Our next Chicago LFP Group meetup will be January 4, Sunday from 10am-12pm at GePaDe Caffe (https://plus.google.com/101953478064...ut?gl=us&hl=en). New members are welcome.
Happy New Year to everyone!
David

mdarnton
30-Dec-2014, 10:17
I'm in for that.

diversey
2-Jan-2015, 12:41
Okay, Thanks.
Bump for our meet up, January 4, Sunday from 10am-12pm at GePaDe Caffe (https://plus.google.com/101953478064...ut?gl=us&hl=en). New members are welcome.

diversey
4-Jan-2015, 19:11
Today's meetup was fun and it was a lens Show & Tell meetup. Look forward to seeing everyone next month. Thanks. David

diversey
27-Jan-2015, 20:27
Our Chicago LF photographer meetup will be February 1, Sunday afternoon from 2pm-4pm. We will first meet at GePaDe Caffe (https://plus.google.com/101953478064...ut?gl=us&hl=en) and then go out shooting in downtown Chicago depending on weather. New members are welcome. Thanks. David

diversey
28-Jan-2015, 13:02
Bump!

diversey
29-Jan-2015, 14:01
Please PM me if you are new and join us first time, then we know you'll come. Thanks.

Tin Can
31-Jan-2015, 12:05
Our Chicago LF photographer meetup will be February 1, Sunday afternoon from 2pm-4pm. We will first meet at GePaDe Caffe (https://plus.google.com/101953478064...ut?gl=us&hl=en) and then go out shooting in downtown Chicago depending on weather. New members are welcome. Thanks. David

Trying to confirm this meeting. I want to come, I like snow and I like being in it while it is fresh.

I see Super Duper doesn't start until 5:30 CT so this won't interfere with my not watching futbol.

So who's game?

mdarnton
31-Jan-2015, 12:16
Cubs v Knicks, or something like that.

Tin Can
31-Jan-2015, 12:42
Cubs v Knicks, or something like that.

I heard Vivian Maier was singing at the OK Corral for faceoff.

Can't wait.

tap tap tap Hello David!

diversey
31-Jan-2015, 13:31
Randy: Just PMed you. Thanks. David

diversey
31-Jan-2015, 17:48
Our tomorrow meetup will be canceled due to snowstorm and rescheduled on Sunday, Feb. 8. Stay warm. Thanks.

diversey
3-Feb-2015, 10:04
Our meetup will be this coming Sunday (Feb. 8th) afternoon from 2pm to 3pm at GePaDe Caffe (https://www.google.com/maps/place/GePaDe+Caffe/@41.880066,-87.625745,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x5f1935ee63937032). New members are welcome. D

diversey
6-Feb-2015, 08:41
A kind reminder, meetup will be this coming Sunday (Feb. 8th) afternoon from 2pm to 3pm at GePaDe Caffe (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ge...1935ee63937032). New members are welcome. We can go to shoot some LF after meet up. Thanks.

mdarnton
6-Feb-2015, 08:50
I'm in.

diversey
6-Feb-2015, 11:32
I'm in.

Great!

diversey
6-Feb-2015, 11:33
Randy: it will snow Sunday afternoon.:)

Tin Can
6-Feb-2015, 11:39
Now that you have chosen 'artist time' morning, i.e. anything after the crack of noon, I will attend.

I will be shooting my tiny format 2-1/4 X 3-1/4 Graflex Series B. Handheld of course!

First outing for this new to me beauty.

Unless it is raining...

:(

mdarnton
6-Feb-2015, 11:47
I do want to see that camera!
I think I might have seen a 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 bag mag on Ebay this morning......

diversey
6-Feb-2015, 11:54
Now that you have chosen 'artist time' morning, i.e. anything after the crack of noon, I will attend.

I will be shooting my tiny format 2-1/4 X 3-1/4 Graflex Series B. Handheld of course!

First outing for this new to me beauty.

Unless it is raining...

Want to see that camera too. Wish I had a working hand-held LF camera.

Tin Can
6-Feb-2015, 12:28
Want to see that camera too. Wish I had a working hand-held LF camera.

I now have 2 Bag Mag. One is VGC, the other NOS in box.

I have 5 VGC slotted Graflex holders.

All in, with camera, delivered for well under a deuce.

I am very happy.

diversey
8-Feb-2015, 17:26
It was a great meetup today. It will be a traditional and digital print show and discussion next month.

evan clarke
8-Feb-2015, 17:30
Chickens,U should have come to our MWLFA print review :)))

diversey
8-Feb-2015, 17:36
Chickens,U should have come to our MWLFA print review :)))
Hi, Evan: yes, we did went to see MWLFA print review last mont, it was great! It was nice meeting you too. Please visit us in Chicago whenever you have time. David :):):)

Tin Can
8-Feb-2015, 17:39
Cars are so yesterday.

Right after the others left, I set up on the wide Adams sidewalk feet from our meeting. I had just got my camera on the tripod, when a woman runs up and tells me I cannot shoot there as she works in the building. The building, 55 W Adams, was closed, dark, doors locked and I was aiming my camera at the EL repairs going on across the street. She badgered me for a while and then left. I shot 2 and packed up.

Sheesh!

diversey
8-Feb-2015, 19:27
Cars are so yesterday.

Right after the others left, I set up on the wide Adams sidewalk feet from our meeting. I had just got my camera on the tripod, when a woman runs up and tells me I cannot shoot there as she works in the building. The building, 55 W Adams, was closed, dark, doors locked and I was aiming my camera at the EL repairs going on across the street. She badgered me for a while and then left. I shot 2 and packed up.

Sheesh!

It becomes harder and harder to shoot pictures in public area.

mdarnton
8-Feb-2015, 19:34
Too bad the two of us had left by then. . . .

Tin Can
8-Feb-2015, 19:36
It becomes harder and harder to shoot pictures in public area.

As we discussed at the meeting today, the cities are covered in hidden surveillance cameras yet anybody using a tripod is suspect.

What do they think is going on?

diversey
20-Feb-2015, 08:51
Our CLFG meetup in March will be Sunday afternoon 2PM-3PM, March 8th. We plan to meet in Chinatown, Chicago and have a cup of tea and then go shooting. Street parking is free on Sunday in Chinatown. We will meet in front of Triple Crown Restaurant, below is the address. Look forward to seeing everyone. Thanks, David

Triple Crown Restaurant
2217 S Wentworth Ave
Chicago, IL 60616

diversey
27-Feb-2015, 12:12
Bump!

diversey
4-Mar-2015, 14:11
A kind reminder, Chicago LF group will meet this coming Sunday (March 8th), 2PM. The daylight saving time starts 2:00 AM on Sunday, March 8, 2015 and clocks should be set ahead 1 hour.:(

diversey
6-Mar-2015, 13:23
Please PM me if you are new and will come to the meetup. We then know we will expect you. Thanks.

diversey
30-Mar-2015, 13:26
Our Chicago LFP group meetup will be this coming Sunday (April 5) afternoon from 2pm to 3pm at GePaDe Caffe (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ge...1935ee63937032). New members are welcome. We can go to shoot some LF after meetup. Thanks.

Tin Can
30-Mar-2015, 14:01
I'll be there.

:)

diversey
30-Mar-2015, 15:50
Randy, see you soon. David

Tin Can
30-Mar-2015, 15:59
Working hard on LF here!

Shooting right now.

Lot's of testing going on.

mdarnton
30-Mar-2015, 16:36
I wonder if they'll be open on Easter. I'll check tomorrow.

diversey
30-Mar-2015, 17:28
Thanks, let's know.

diversey
30-Mar-2015, 17:29
Show us some your shots next time, :)

Working hard on LF here!

Shooting right now.

Lot's of testing going on.

Tin Can
30-Mar-2015, 21:23
Show us some your shots next time, :)

I am testing. Not for consumption.

Everybody says, test test test, so I do. I quick scan and I file them away. No printing necessary.

One day I may emerge, a far off day...

diversey
1-Apr-2015, 11:28
Will the coffee shop be open on Easter? Thanks.

mdarnton
1-Apr-2015, 13:44
I just checked, and they are closed Easter Sunday :-(

Tin Can
1-Apr-2015, 13:48
It's Easter a mess everywhere.

Let's meet the next Sunday.

Same Bat time, same Bat station, same Bat place?

diversey
1-Apr-2015, 14:06
Ok, Gentlemen, we will meet at the same place/time Sunday afternoon, April 12. Thanks.

Tin Can
1-Apr-2015, 15:19

Maybe I have a print then...

diversey
1-Apr-2015, 16:18
Look forward to seeing it!:)

Maybe I have a print then...

diversey
7-Apr-2015, 07:55
We canceled our meetup last Sunday due to Easter holiday and the meetup was scheduled to this coming Sunday (April 12) afternoon from 2pm to 3pm at GePaDe Caffe (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ge...1935ee63937032). New members are welcome. We can go to shoot some LF after meetup. Thanks.

Tin Can
7-Apr-2015, 12:10
Let the first that arrive grab a table in the building lobby as last time. More room and we are not underfoot.

It would be cool to do a pic right there, in the dark down the hallway.

I think I'll try that with 2x3 sheet X-Ray as I can bracket 10 shots for $1 and develop in a Nikor can.

We can all guess on exposure and stay warm.

btw VOTE today.

diversey
10-Apr-2015, 10:03
A kind reminder.
We canceled our meetup last Sunday due to Easter holiday and the meetup was scheduled to this coming Sunday (April 12) afternoon from 2pm to 3pm at GePaDe Caffe (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ge...1935ee63937032). New members are welcome. We can go to shoot some LF after meetup. Thanks.

mdarnton
10-Apr-2015, 10:24
I'm in.

Tin Can
10-Apr-2015, 10:33
ditto

diversey
10-Apr-2015, 11:37
Great! see you guys soon. Don't forget to bring your prints.

Tin Can
12-Apr-2015, 23:30
Good meeting today, we were 4.

A wonderful discussion, which happened quickly and efficiently compared to online forum methods. I highly recommend small group meetings for valuable learning.

We shared prints and negatives. A show and tell with 4 different types of cameras, their history and usage. One showed his SF hack of a Tele. He may share an image of me, he shot with it, which already is my favorite portrait. I got a sneak peek hours ago.

Then we went and got in trouble. ARTIC.EDU (http://www.artic.edu/) an apt name for the chilly atmosphere a museum, I both support as paid member and as MFA Graduate, has towards tripods in the deserted gardens. We got a few shots off and were politely asked to leave. I felt sorry for the enforcer.

2 of us went to Millennium Park, 1 block north where they NOW allow tripods, despite initially banning them for a decade. We attracted a lot of attention, a LA tourist photographer walked and talked me to my EL stop, which was underground.

3 weeks to next meetup.

diversey
13-Apr-2015, 08:09
Randy: A very nice summary. Everyone enjoyed this meetup with LF passion. Welcome our new member, Bob! Look forward to next meetup. Here is a 4x5 I shot yesterday in Millennium Park. Cheers! David

diversey
28-Apr-2015, 08:40
We, LF Chicago group, will meet this coming Sunday (May 3) afternoon from 2pm to 3pm at GePaDe Caffe (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ge...1935ee63937032). New members are welcome. We can go to shoot some LF after meetup. Thanks.

Tin Can
28-Apr-2015, 09:25
See you all Sunday.

It will be warm!

diversey
28-Apr-2015, 13:59
Randy, see you soon. I restore my Deardorff V8 now and can show my V8 restoration if I could finish it by Sunday.

Tin Can
28-Apr-2015, 14:05
Randy, see you soon. I restore my Deardorff V8 now and can show my V8 restoration if I could finish it by Sunday.

Bring it ready to shoot!

mdarnton
30-Apr-2015, 04:30
I will be there!

diversey
30-Apr-2015, 07:44
See you on Sunday!

KennyMark
30-Apr-2015, 20:13
Wow. We will be staying mere blocks from that cafe Saturday night but will be on our way home by that time on Sunday. So close...

Tin Can
30-Apr-2015, 20:35
Wow. We will be staying mere blocks from that cafe Saturday night but will be on our way home by that time on Sunday. So close...

diversey
1-May-2015, 07:24

diversey
1-May-2015, 07:24
Kind reminder.
We, LF Chicago group, will meet this coming Sunday (May 3) afternoon from 2pm to 3pm at GePaDe Caffe (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ge...1935ee63937032). New members are welcome. We can go to shoot some LF after meetup. Thanks.

diversey
1-May-2015, 11:56
Please bring your prints if you have.:)

Tin Can
1-May-2015, 18:17
I'll be shooting 2X3 Graflex RB with flashbulbs.

Maybe I will even use real film, not that fake Ektascan I always use.

diversey
3-May-2015, 18:17
We had a wonderful meetup this afternoon. Attending members showed their LF cameras and went to shoot LF photos in Millennium Park, Chicago.

Tin Can
3-May-2015, 18:34
We had a wonderful meetup this afternoon. Attending members showed their LF cameras and went to shoot LF photos in Millennium Park, Chicago.

We had many more pictures taken of us than we took.

Then they always shoot our angle, as if we have a secret...

diversey
4-May-2015, 07:34
Many people have not seen the cameras we brought. When you told them our cameras use "films", they did not know "films". This is digital era!

diversey
4-May-2015, 08:03
Jay Pritzker Pavilion, Millennium Park, Chicago

Tin Can
4-May-2015, 08:08
Jay Pritzker Pavilion, Millennium Park, Chicago

In Chicago even the grass is grey! :)

NOT!

diversey
4-May-2015, 11:32
I set the zone 6 for the side walls of the stage and developed normally in Xtol 1;1. Grass in lawn looked good. Maybe I should use a green filter and make the lawn stand out. Spring is here in Chicago.Cheers

mdarnton
4-May-2015, 17:59
And from farther back, Diversey setting up his Deardorff while Randy watches, in full cell phone pixular glory (disturbingly sharp in full resolution at 100%)!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8849/17347921736_7472d75683_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/sqYCJU)

Pritzker Pavilion (https://flic.kr/p/sqYCJU)
by michael.darnton (https://www.flickr.com/people/118045067@N03/), on Flickr

Tin Can
4-May-2015, 18:13
Scratch out my eyes. The color, the sharpness, so blindingly horrible.

That's it MD, you are now on a SF diet, perhaps 5 stops short also.

FrancisF
25-May-2015, 08:29
Just ran across the post.....I would like to meet the group next time you get together

Thanks,
Francis Fullam

diversey
25-May-2015, 15:15
Hi Francis: Welcome! We meet in afternoon of 1st Sunday, each month. Our next meetup will be June 7th, 2-3pm. Thanks, David

Just ran across the post.....I would like to meet the group next time you get together

Thanks,
Francis Fullam

Tin Can
25-May-2015, 15:49
Just a point of interest. I may not attend our usual location, depending on what is happening June 6 & 7, as the new park opens June 6th. It may be a madhouse. It may be something I need to enjoy or escape. I won't know till it happens.

I have an event for Saturday night. I alluded to it elsewhere on the forum. No more disclosure.

Here is what is up.

http://the606.org/events/openingday/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-606-trail-met-20150522-story.html

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/redeye-the-606-sneak-peek-20150505-htmlstory.html

http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2015/03/25/construction-nearly-complete-606

There is a lot of work to be done in under 2 weeks. This is what my location looks like today. This is the center of the whole thing. They claim this and all entrance ramps will be open. I got a new sidewalk yesterday. Obviously there's a lot to be done...

mdarnton
25-May-2015, 17:12
And I won't be around, myself--have my teaching gig to do.

diversey
25-May-2015, 19:54
This trail looks very mice. We can have our meetup here if possible.:)

Just a point of interest. I may not attend our usual location, depending on what is happening June 6 & 7, as the new park opens June 6th. It may be a madhouse. It may be something I need to enjoy or escape. I won't know till it happens.

I have an event for Saturday night. I alluded to it elsewhere on the forum. No more disclosure.

Here is what is up.

http://the606.org/events/openingday/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-606-trail-met-20150522-story.html

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/redeye-the-606-sneak-peek-20150505-htmlstory.html

http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2015/03/25/construction-nearly-complete-606

There is a lot of work to be done in under 2 weeks. This is what my location looks like today. This is the center of the whole thing. They claim this and all entrance ramps will be open. I got a new sidewalk yesterday. Obviously there's a lot to be done...

diversey
25-May-2015, 19:55
Good luck with your gig! See you next time.:)

And I won't be around, myself--have my teaching gig to do.

Tin Can
25-May-2015, 19:57
This trail looks very mice. We can have our meetup here if possible.:)

I'll let you know progress, but news will be extensive.

diversey
26-May-2015, 08:28
Ok, Thanks.

I'll let you know progress, but news will be extensive.

Tin Can
3-Jun-2015, 17:15
Hi Chicago LFP.

Seems the 606 is opening on time... June 6th 8am and will be a madhouse until it closes at 11 pm. http://the606.org/events/openingday/

So does anybody want to see it Sunday?

I can't host as my place is not ready for visitors.

I do not do mornings. Noonish is early for me. Night shift for decades reset my clock.

diversey
3-Jun-2015, 18:04
I will come. June 7th Sunday 4-5PM? Thanks.

Tin Can
3-Jun-2015, 18:31
I will come. June 7th Sunday 4-5PM? Thanks.

I'll be around.

Let's PM later on Saturday.

diversey
3-Jun-2015, 19:06
Ok, thanks.

diversey
3-Jun-2015, 19:11
Hi, Francis Fullam: Do you want to join us June 7th afternoons at the new bloomdale park? Thanks.

Thanks,
Francis Fullam

macolive
8-Jun-2015, 17:08
I hope you don't mind my asking here and I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I'd like to ask some practical advice. I am going to be in Chicago from the 14th to the 19th for the Neocon convention. I may only have 1 free day and I was wondering if it was worth taking the 4x5 with me (all the way from Asia). I am a newbie with LF.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Tin Can
8-Jun-2015, 18:32
I hope you don't mind my asking here and I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I'd like to ask some practical advice. I am going to be in Chicago from the 14th to the 19th for the Neocon convention. I may only have 1 free day and I was wondering if it was worth taking the 4x5 with me (all the way from Asia). I am a newbie with LF.

Of course, there's plenty to see and shoot here.

The NEOCON location is one of the greatest buildings ever made on a river in the middle of one of the greatest new cities in the world.

I will meet you for lunch in the Merchandise Mart if you like. It has it's own Zip Code, was once the biggest building and has it's own subway stop inside the building.

PM me.

diversey
8-Jun-2015, 18:35
Yes, it is worth bring your camera. Chicago architecture is one of the best! other historical sites and Lake Michigan, etc.

macolive
9-Jun-2015, 04:06
Of course, there's plenty to see and shoot here.

The NEOCON location is one of the greatest buildings ever made on a river in the middle of one of the greatest new cities in the world.

I will meet you for lunch in the Merchandise Mart if you like. It has it's own Zip Code, was once the biggest building and has it's own subway stop inside the building.

PM me.

Cool! Thanks Randy!

Tin Can
17-Jun-2015, 20:58
Hi Chicago,

I want to announce this here first.

I am quitting this forum.

If you want to stay in touch, please PM your email to me.

I still want to meet monthly, perhaps a private Facebook group could be formed. I can do that.

I have plenty of LF left in me, but not here.

I will stay on the forum until July 3, after that it is sign off for me.

I will be making a second announcement next week in a more visible post.

Thanks to all the nice folks here, it's been a good run, but the 'Thrill is Gone' as BB King once sang. God rest his soul.

Peace.

mdarnton
17-Jun-2015, 21:02
As for me, I am still out of town until after the next meeting. Randy, I will track you down in a couple of weeks when I'm back.

Tin Can
17-Jun-2015, 21:04
As for me, I am still out of town until after the next meeting. Randy, I will track you down in a couple of weeks when I'm back.

I have your email.

I look forward to seeing you again.

diversey
18-Jun-2015, 07:20
Hi, Randy: I will PM you and update our phone numbers and emails. I did not get a chance to come and shoot LF with you in the Bloomingdale park because it rained in past 2 weekends. Look forward to seeing you in our next meetup. Best wishes, David

Hi Chicago,

I want to announce this here first.

I am quitting this forum.

If you want to stay in touch, please PM your email to me.

I still want to meet monthly, perhaps a private Facebook group could be formed. I can do that.

I have plenty of LF left in me, but not here.

I will stay on the forum until July 3, after that it is sign off for me.

I will be making a second announcement next week in a more visible post.

Thanks to all the nice folks here, it's been a good run, but the 'Thrill is Gone' as BB King once sang. God rest his soul.

Peace.

Tin Can
18-Jun-2015, 08:08
Hi, Randy: I will PM you and update our phone numbers and emails. I did not get a chance to come and shoot LF with you in the Bloomingdale park because it rained in past 2 weekends. Look forward to seeing you in our next meetup. Best wishes, David

Thanks David!

Tin Can
22-Jun-2015, 14:06
OK, I will eat Crow once again.

I was under such stress and I hate using that word, in my personal life, that the 'discussions' on the forum were adding to my distress.

I am not a fan of conflict of any kind, but I do fight back when pushed to the wall.

So, I will remain here on the forum and try to achieve my own inner calmness.

cdholden
22-Jun-2015, 16:25

I was under such stress and I hate using that word, in my personal life, that the 'discussions' on the forum were adding to my distress.

I am not a fan of conflict of any kind, but I do fight back when pushed to the wall.

In case you weren't aware of it, allow me to direct you to your ignore list. You can add people to it as you choose and not be bothered by them anymore. I miss several posts, but i feel my forum experience is much better because of it. I've been inactive here for a while until recently and don't remember why some made the list, but they were worthy to be on it at one time so i'll just let it ride.
If you change your mind, you can selectively choose to view a post.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Tin Can
22-Jun-2015, 17:15
In case you weren't aware of it, allow me to direct you to your ignore list. You can add people to it as you choose and not be bothered by them anymore. I miss several posts, but i feel my forum experience is much better because of it. I've been inactive here for a while until recently and don't remember why some made the list, but they were worthy to be on it at one time so i'll just let it ride.
If you change your mind, you can selectively choose to view a post.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Thanks Chris!

diversey
22-Jun-2015, 17:33
Hi, Randy: I am so happy that you will stay with us. Think the positive side, there is a lot of fun here. See you soon. David

Tin Can
22-Jun-2015, 17:44
Hi, Randy: I am so happy that you will stay with us. Think the positive side, there is a lot of fun here. See you soon. David

That would be tomorrow evening on http://www.the606.org/. Your bike is ready. :)

diversey
22-Jun-2015, 19:05
Yeah! Look forward to it. Thanks. :)

That would be tomorrow evening on http://www.the606.org/. Your bike is ready. :)

diversey
25-Jun-2015, 08:54
Bike tour with Randy in Bloomingdale Trail and Park this week.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cry44KiDsbw/VYwjGPY_Q7I/AAAAAAAAB1g/x1ovYqyrOXo/s640/Bloomingdale%2BPark.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0vpj_3PwxLI/VYwiN6iRxrI/AAAAAAAAB1U/PeaDhkt1uq4/s1600/Blueline%2BBloomingdale.jpg

mdarnton
25-Jun-2015, 10:17
Did you take your 8x10 on the bicycle?

Tin Can
25-Jun-2015, 10:56
I shot David shooting those images with 35mm 400 TMax.

My bicycle trailer could haul 2 8x10 field cameras and 2 heavy tripods in a pinch, or one ULF setup.

diversey
25-Jun-2015, 11:25
No. Used my 4x5. :)

Did you take your 8x10 on the bicycle?

diversey
25-Jun-2015, 11:26
We may use your trailer next time. I really want to use my 8x10 more often.

I shot David shooting those images with 35mm 400 TMax.

My bicycle trailer could haul 2 8x10 field cameras and 2 heavy tripods in a pinch, or one ULF setup.

Tin Can
25-Jun-2015, 11:57
We may use your trailer next time. I really want to use my 8x10 more often.

You should try 2015 CC PS anti shake on those 2 4x5' scans you posted here. I think your tripod wiggles. I have been testing it and and think it wiggles even with a hanging weight.

Last night I compared 3 small tripods with yours. I tested them all at the same height you use your very compact model. I do like that ball head though!

Wood is best.

diversey
25-Jun-2015, 13:21
Glad to know the anti-shake program and I know this myfoto tripod has its weakness. Yu may noticed the flares on the 2nd photo, which was caused by the fence I could not see from GG.

Tin Can
29-Jun-2015, 22:04
Hey Chicago, how about we meet this Sunday in the evening say 7 pm, then we shoot through the Golden hour.

We can talk all Winter inside...and I do like our conversations.

I can host if we like, I can even supply 3 bicycles, my favorite for me of course. :) The black bike that has huge saddlebags with trailer and then a nice folding bike that fits anybody.

We could explore the Bloomingdale Trail until sunset and jump off at 12 different ramps.

Or if it's iffy, we shoot from my roof, as we can duck inside quickly.

diversey
29-Jul-2015, 10:26
We, Chicago LF group, will meet in the south pond of Lincoln Park at 6PM this Sunday. Everyone is welcome to come. Thanks!

diversey
1-Aug-2015, 07:22
We, Chicago LF group, will meet in the south pond of Lincoln Park at 6PM this Sunday. Everyone is welcome to come. Thanks!

Bump!

mdarnton
1-Aug-2015, 07:45
Last month's aborted thought of riding the Bloomingdale Trail results in me having a bicycle now, which I will be riding. No trailer, though. Also, I'll be packing small.

Tin Can
1-Aug-2015, 09:21
I'll be there with trailer, mainly to haul my prefered Majestic tripod, and this is the little one. The big Majestic is BIGGER.

Shooting 5x7.

Slight rain no problem, big storms and I may cancel. But we can get under that bridge just north and shoot in any storm.

That reminds me, pack umbrella and rain coat...

diversey
1-Aug-2015, 09:31
It seems that you guys are fully equipped! I may bring my 8x10 and shoot some 4x10 format for cityscape. I will ride a bike too. Look forward to seeing you guys.

diversey
3-Aug-2015, 10:46
Two 8x10 photos from yesterday's meetup.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G-un00knPkc/Vb-lmOmdevI/AAAAAAAAB2k/LqclC-DMBFg/s640/Curvaceous%2BWood%2BPavilion%2Bat%2BChicago%25E2%2580%2599s%2BLincoln%2BPark%2BZoo%2B%2BRead%2Bmore-%2BStudio%2BGang%2527s%2BCurvaceious%2BWood%2BPavilion%2Bat%2BChicago%2527s%2BLincoln%2BPark%2BZoo%2B%257C%2BInhabitat%2B-%2BSustainable%2BDesign%2BInnovation%252C%2BEco%2BArchitecture%252C%2BGreen%2BBuilding%2Bweb.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WcUJhjfyu60/Vb-nLtyc1TI/AAAAAAAAB2w/KEIM4rTfVdg/s640/View%2Bfrom%2BLincoln%2Bpark%2Bzoo%2Bweb.jpg

Tin Can
3-Aug-2015, 10:47
Two 8x10 photos from yesterday's meetup.

http://chicagolargeformatphotography.blogspot.com/2015/08/chicago-cityscape-viewed-from-south.html
http://chicagolargeformatphotography.blogspot.com/2015/08/curvaceous-wood-pavilion-at-chicagos.html

Bad links

diversey
3-Aug-2015, 10:58
sorry, corrected.

Tin Can
3-Aug-2015, 11:44
sorry, corrected.

Funny, I got the same pics but on 2x3 sheet...

diversey
3-Aug-2015, 12:26
Show them to us please.:)

Tin Can
3-Aug-2015, 12:28
Show them to us please.:)

I cannot show them here. They are not Large Format.

But they look just like yours.

Tonight I will actually PRINT them with an enlarger.

And NOT show them here, for the above reason.

diversey
3-Aug-2015, 12:50
I googled and got more info about the Pavilion.

"Studio Gang Architects‘ design for the South Pond Pavilion was inspired by the tortoise shell. It features pre-fabricated wooden planks that have been interconnected and milled to form the curving structural members. The top of the pavilion is covered semi-transparent fiberglass pods, which let light filter in while still protecting those underneath. Yoga classes and other educational programs use the pavilion regularly.

The pavilion is part of a larger redevelopment of the pond at the Lincoln Park Zoo designed by Studio Gang. Their project largely consists of rehabilitating a dilapidated, 19th century urban park pond fed by city tap water into an exhibit on pond life. The depth of the pond was increased to improve oxygenation for aquatic life, and a wetland was engineered along the water’s edge with new plantings and drainage to encourage new wildlife and vegetation. A boardwalk made from recycled plastic now circles the pond and includes educational kiosks."

Tin Can
3-Aug-2015, 13:11
I googled and got more info about the Pavilion.

"Studio Gang Architects‘ design for the South Pond Pavilion was inspired by the tortoise shell. It features pre-fabricated wooden planks that have been interconnected and milled to form the curving structural members. The top of the pavilion is covered semi-transparent fiberglass pods, which let light filter in while still protecting those underneath. Yoga classes and other educational programs use the pavilion regularly.

The pavilion is part of a larger redevelopment of the pond at the Lincoln Park Zoo designed by Studio Gang. Their project largely consists of rehabilitating a dilapidated, 19th century urban park pond fed by city tap water into an exhibit on pond life. The depth of the pond was increased to improve oxygenation for aquatic life, and a wetland was engineered along the water’s edge with new plantings and drainage to encourage new wildlife and vegetation. A boardwalk made from recycled plastic now circles the pond and includes educational kiosks."

It sure is a much nicer place than it was 30 years ago.

I plan to go back often.

Peter De Smidt
3-Aug-2015, 13:26
If we ever need some storms, you folks should just schedule a Chicago LFP meeting. :) We had about 3/4" hail here. How was it down by you?

Tin Can
3-Aug-2015, 13:51
If we ever need some storms, you folks should just schedule a Chicago LFP meeting. :) We had about 3/4" hail here. How was it down by you?

We just missed the bad parts, which evacuated Grant Park. That was about 3 pm. I was in cave and never noticed it.

Later about 11 pm Rogers Park was hit hard and farther North Grayslake HS roof was removed, my brother is 2 miles from that and I still have not heard from him.

During our meeting all was pleasant, with nice clouds...but windy.

I think my brother is OK, nothing on news about his area...

We try to meet first Sunday.

Tin Can
3-Aug-2015, 14:08
I cannot show them here. They are not Large Format.

But they look just like yours.

Tonight I will actually PRINT them with an enlarger.

And NOT show them here, for the above reason.

I emailed them to my LFPF close friends.

diversey
4-Sep-2015, 05:51
Our next meetup will be 4PM, Sunday afternoon, Sept. 13 at Lincoln Park Lily Pool, located at 125 W. Fullerton Parkway (between Stockton and Cannon Drives) in Lincoln Park. Thanks. David

Tin Can
11-Sep-2015, 11:18
Our next meetup will be 4PM, Sunday afternoon, Sept. 13 at Lincoln Park Lily Pool, located at 125 W. Fullerton Parkway (between Stockton and Cannon Drives) in Lincoln Park. Thanks. David

To repeat David's announcement.

Sunday looks like good weather and I will be there with camera.

diversey
11-Sep-2015, 11:29
Randy, Thanks. We will meet this Sunday. Weather looks good, indeed.

We formed our group a year ago today!