PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced LF lens case!

David Karp
9-Sep-2014, 21:51
I have too many lenses. Well maybe not too many, but certainly many. Some are used only with my Crown Graphic, most can be used on my other 4x5s, and some are used with only my WP setup. I usually use only 4-5 at a time and carry them in my backpack. The lenses not in my pack end up strewn about in various places in my house. I made a very good purchase of a Photobackpacker P3 and lens cases (and will probably make another purchase if stock still exists when I am ready), so I don't have lots of extra cash for LF related stuff. But, I digress . . . .

I found this very nice reel case on Cabela's website: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Fly-Reel-Case/1733968.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dreel%2Bcase%26x%3D15%26y%3D11%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=reel+case&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

It came to my house yesterday, and now it holds all the lenses not in my P3 - Nine lenses in all. Some are small, like my tiny 90mm Raptar (or is it an Optar), some are bigger (like a 210mm Caltar II-N or 90mm f/8 Nikkor), and some are in between (like a 150mm Fujinon W or 210mm Caltar Pro). All of these lenses are on Wista/Technika type lensboards. Big boards like Cambo, Sinar or ARCA types would be a problem. The case is well padded and the dividers are easy to adjust. The price was nice - $29.99 plus shipping.

Just thought you might be interested.

SMBooth
9-Sep-2014, 22:35
nice, if it was called a lens case they could get 4 times the price...

vinny
9-Sep-2014, 23:05
I've seen quite a few people using these for lenses. I use their spinning reel cases for my individual lens cases.

Steve Goldstein
10-Sep-2014, 04:42
I have what appears to be the identical case from Orvis and use it for a lightweight kit for short (up to a few miles) local walks where I don't want to mess with a backpack. It holds up to 4 smallish lenses on Linhof-type boards, a Pentax digital meter, loupe, cable releases and Nikon lens shades, a filter wallet, 6 4x5 holders, and a dark cloth. The lightweight crap (post-its, pen, small notebook, framing card, clips for attaching the dark cloth to the camera, spare battery, etc.) easily fits in the mesh pockets inside the top, while the camera on the tripod goes over my shoulder. I've also used it for my Mamiya 7 kit - camera with one lens mounted, two or three other lenses, film, filters, etc. It's a very useful size at a very reasonable price.

Cletus
10-Sep-2014, 05:02
Great idea, thanks for posting!

+1 on SMbooth's comment too! ;)

lecarp
10-Sep-2014, 06:22
I have several of the Orvis cases similar to this, great field case for 8x10 film holders. Eight holders per case.

StoneNYC
10-Sep-2014, 08:07
I've found that ultimately it's just best to spend the money for a pelican case, they are waterproof and so the dew of the grass and other weather things won't affect the lenses or damage anything, I guess if you keep something only in the house / studio this is a bargain but if you ever plan to take it anywhere, invest in something more expensive and durable, nothing like ruining your multi-thousand dollar lenses because you put them in a $30 case...

Just my advice.

Eric Biggerstaff
10-Sep-2014, 08:22
I have a similar case from Bass Pro Shops, it is excellent! These are great choices for lens protection at an affordable price.

jp
10-Sep-2014, 09:15
I've got a reel case from Allen, and it fits in a pelican case nicely too, when I need that protection.