PDA

View Full Version : Paper on paper contact printing.

Boscoe
8-Sep-2014, 11:23
I'm a student and don't have a lot of spare income to pay for 10x8 films. After playing with some MG paper in my 5x4 camera and then reading about paper on paper contact printing on Ilfords website I wondered how well this would turn out. My paper negatives were surprisingly good and so my only question is in the potential loss of quality in paper to paper printing. Ilford recommend emulsion to emulsion with the exposed negative on top. I'm asking people to share their experiences generally and I also wonder whether there would be any problem in the papers sticking to each other.

Thanks

Mark Sawyer
8-Sep-2014, 11:56
As long as the papers are dry, there will be no sticking problem; it's just like having two dry prints face-to-face. Use a sheet of glass to hold good contact between the two surfaces.

Jon Shiu
8-Sep-2014, 12:03
We did them wet, emulsion to emulsion, squeegeed. It's not going to dry enough to get stuck in the amount of time they are together.

Jon

Boscoe
8-Sep-2014, 14:24
We did them wet, emulsion to emulsion, squeegeed. It's not going to dry enough to get stuck in the amount of time they are together.

Jon

Interesting. Did this yield better results?

jnantz
8-Sep-2014, 14:56
i also do them wet ( and dry if i have to )
get great results.
don't forget though ... sometimes what looks like a full bodied paper negative
might not be the best for contact printing, the best paper negatives i use for contact printing
are a bit "thin" ... really inexpensive and fun though :)

good luck !
john