PDA

View Full Version : Best lens for Crown Graphic

macandal
8-Sep-2014, 11:21
I am looking for a good lens for a 4x5 Crown Graphic. This camera has a functional rangefinder and I got it because I intend to use it as a press camera (that is, walking around snapping pictures). I will be doing street/documentary-style photography. What's the best, sharpest lens to get for this camera and the type of photography I want to practice? The camera came with a Graphex 135mm f/4.7 lens. I was looking for a 150 mm lens. Can you guys recommend something? Thanks.

dsphotog
8-Sep-2014, 11:58
If you want to use the RF, easiest to keep the original focal length.
Is your camera a top, or side RF version?
Side rf's can be adjusted.
Top RF's have replaceable cams to match lenses.
With my top rf camera, when I use a 135 Symmar lens I only needed to adjust the infinity stops.
When using a 150, with the rf, it would need a cam change.
I suspect the wider angle lens was use to help newsmen not "miss the subject" in action shots.
Also the shorter lenses additional depth of field made critical focus more forgiving.

dsphotog
8-Sep-2014, 12:04
If you want the camera to close, small filter size lenses are needed.
I use a Symmar 135, (40.5 filter size).
A Nikon 135 (52mm filter) also would fit nicely.

BrianShaw
8-Sep-2014, 12:19
Based on many years of experience... why bother. Use the 135 Optar. The original equipment was specifically designed for your desired application of street/documentary-style photography. The Optar is a fine lens and not enough different in focal length from a 150 as to warrant the hassle. If you want a more modern lens and shutter, I put a 135 Symmar-S on my SuperGraphic with a minimum of hassle. But quickly took it off since it really is nice to have a Graphic that is still capable of being folded.

macandal
8-Sep-2014, 12:28
Is your camera a top, or side RF version?Top.

Bill_1856
8-Sep-2014, 12:29
Keep what you got. With a negative that large you can easily crop if you need to.

macandal
8-Sep-2014, 12:30
If you want a more modern lens and shutter, I put a 135 Symmar-S on my SuperGraphic with a minimum of hassle. But quickly took it off since it really is nice to have a Graphic that is still capable of being folded.I guess this is what I was thinking about. I wanted a more modern lens. Is there a modern lens that still allows for the camera to fold?

Richard Johnson
8-Sep-2014, 13:18
Yes you can fold a Crown up even with a 58mm filter rim Schneider Xenotar in a Compur 1 on a flat board because I have. Also a 75.6.8 Grandagon. I have used and closed the camera with Rodenstock and Schneider symmetrical lenses like the Sironar-N and Symmar-S, APO-Symmar mounted in Copal 0s with the Crown as well.

BUT note that the cam used in the top rangefinder is specific to the standard lens that came with the camera, which I assume is the 135 Optar. You'd have to get - and test - a new cam for any other "modern" 135 or 150 lens. Just because the rim says 135 it is not taking into account that the focal length may be 3-4mm in either direction, and also the distance between the rear element and film plane varies between different lens designs.

BUT even more so, the 135 Optar can be an awesomely sharp lens competitive with modern optics (the old Christopher Perez Havanet test ranked it highly) and it is compact and single coated, which to many people is an advantage (atmospheric and arty B&W). At the least get the lens and shutter serviced and enjoy it. The subtle shake you will introduce by handholding, even at the fastest speeds, will more than negate any advantage of a modern lens (why are lens tested locked onto optical benches in the first place?) and also, considering the framing accuracy of handheld 4x5 is not that great, having the slightly wider 135 focal length rather than 150 is to your advantage.

That's why I laugh when people outfit their 110 Polaroid conversion cameras with expensive lenses that won't fold up, bypassing the excellent native optics (usually a Yashica lens) because they need a name brand lens and want to waste money....

Kevin Crisp
8-Sep-2014, 13:38
The factory 135's (Schneider or Optar) are really quite good. (The factory 90's on the other hand, especially the Optar ones, I am less impressed with.) If you are not using front rise, and are keeping the lens dead centered, stick with what you have. I put a 135 Symmar-S on mine, but I use front rise occasionally and needed the image circle.

BradS
8-Sep-2014, 14:04
Based on many years of experience... why bother. Use the 135 Optar. The original equipment was specifically designed for your desired application of street/documentary-style photography. The Optar is a fine lens and not enough different in focal length from a 150 as to warrant the hassle. If you want a more modern lens and shutter, I put a 135 Symmar-S on my SuperGraphic with a minimum of hassle. But quickly took it off since it really is nice to have a Graphic that is still capable of being folded.

+1 !!!

The stock Optar is a very good lens. Fear not. It is very sharp.

jp
8-Sep-2014, 14:07
BUT even more so, the 135 Optar can be an awesomely sharp lens competitive with modern optics (the old Christopher Perez Havanet test ranked it highly) and it is compact and single coated, which to many people is an advantage (atmospheric and arty B&W). At the least get the lens and shutter serviced and enjoy it. The subtle shake you will introduce by handholding, even at the fastest speeds, will more than negate any advantage of a modern lens (why are lens tested locked onto optical benches in the first place?) and also, considering the framing accuracy of handheld 4x5 is not that great, having the slightly wider 135 focal length rather than 150 is to your advantage.

+1

If you're settling down to do movements with a tripod, etc.. Then you might benefit from wider image circle of a more modern lens, but sharpness wise the optar is a close contender. Single coated versus multicoated is meaningless in my experience for B&W.

BrianShaw
8-Sep-2014, 14:29
... especially when a lens hood is used.