PDA

View Full Version : Using a Harrison Small Changing Bag Rather Than Tent

Richard Johnson
8-Sep-2014, 09:00
Wondering if anyone has ever tried the small Harrison Changing BAG rather than the tent to save weight, space, and cost? I have had the tents before and anticipate only needing to field change film once this year. Thinking it might work out if I buy it clean/new and find a beer bottle or something to stick inside to provide just enough vertical height to handle a couple of holders at a time. Or does the fabric pass dust to the holders where it makes contact? Thanks

adelorenzo
8-Sep-2014, 09:48
What size holders are you using? I load 4x5 no problem in a small changing bag but for 8x10 I need my large Harrison tent.

Richard Johnson
8-Sep-2014, 13:21
4x5 only and I know I would only do a couple at a time, not ten like I could in the tent. Do you insert anything to raise the ceiling or do you let the bag touch the holders?

Lachlan 717
8-Sep-2014, 13:25
Apart from the cost thing, why not get the Pup tent and leave the poles at home when you want to save weight/space?

(IMO, bags are crap).

adelorenzo
8-Sep-2014, 13:40
4x5 only and I know I would only do a couple at a time, not ten like I could in the tent. Do you insert anything to raise the ceiling or do you let the bag touch the holders?

I just use the bag without anything extra, doing 5-6 holders isn't a problem. I use it quite often as I am too lazy to set up the tent, especially since mine has such a large footprint.

Richard Johnson
8-Sep-2014, 14:03
Thank you.

Does anyone know about how much weight and bulk savings there is from using the Harrison small changing bag versus the pup tent? They don't describe it well enough online....

Kodachrome25
8-Sep-2014, 14:13
Thank you.

Does anyone know about how much weight and bulk savings there is from using the Harrison small changing bag versus the pup tent? They don't describe it well enough online....

The bag is 1/2 pound lighter than the tent. They don't give a stuffed size for the bag but since it is 36" x 26" VS the tent's 25" x 19" x 12" + poles I suspect the bag might pack a tad smaller. The tent packs at 13" x 4".

I have the pup tent, passed on the bag for an all around solution...

Richard Johnson
8-Sep-2014, 18:04
The bag is 1/2 pound lighter than the tent. They don't give a stuffed size for the bag but since it is 36" x 26" VS the tent's 25" x 19" x 12" + poles I suspect the bag might pack a tad smaller. The tent packs at 13" x 4".

I have the pup tent, passed on the bag for an all around solution...

Actually they make a smaller changing bag that is 27x19 and listed as 24 oz., so it should be proportionately more compact. I think I'm going to try it out since I will only need it for very occasional use (I rarely need to reload even on longer trips) and emergencies.

Thanks for the insights.

Kodachrome25
8-Sep-2014, 18:44
Actually they make a smaller changing bag that is 27x19 and listed as 24 oz., so it should be proportionately more compact.

I'm interested, got a link?

Richard Johnson
8-Sep-2014, 19:24
B&H has them

Drew Bedo
10-Sep-2014, 07:00
I have both a Harrison Tent and a no-name smallish changing bag.

The tent is great to use, but too big and heavy to pack for any trip involving air travel.

The bag packs like a sweat shirt and weighs the same. The bag is auncomfortable and awkward to use, but I have changed 8x10 holders (with difficulty) while riding in the passenger seat of a small car.

The tent is great, but I only use it at home. The bag is a P-I-T-A, but it van be used effectively about anywhere.

Richard Johnson
11-Sep-2014, 09:46
The Harrison Small Changing Bag (27x30", $89) just arrived from B&H. It is heavier and better built than the basic black cloth changing bags I remember from my youth. The top and bottom use ~1/4" thick padded panels that are a bit stiff, there is a separate silver reflective layer of material on the exterior. It also has wrist elastic similar to the tent so it should be nice and tight, with the usual caveat to have your arms clean from bug spray and suntan lotion lest the coated fabric breaks down and gets sticky. Yet considering it costs less than half of what a Pup Tent does then maybe this is a better sacrificial item if you're in the bush during bug season?

It weighs about 1.8 lbs on my postal scale. Comes in a slip case and folds (not rolls) into the size of a large hardbound novel, 10x12x2". It's not something I'd want to backpack with, I am sure you could find or make a far lighter version that wouldn't be as durable.

Frankly it looks intimidating to load 4x5 holders in and I would definitely want a flat table and to insert something inside to raise the heavy top layer off the floor of the bag. But for emergencies and infrequent use it is quite a bit more compact than the Pup Tent and it is clean and well made so I'm going to keep it for travel.

I've had the Photoflex/Calumet/Redwing changing gizmos and this is also a lot more compact, albeit at the same price point. However my experience with several of these over the years is unimpressive because they tend to turn themselves into spheres and the film and holders tend to slide together and get jumbled up, making loading an exercise in controlling sliding objects.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/172918-REG/Harrison_1003_Film_Changing_Bag_Small.html

So far I've had three sizes of Harrison Tents and all their stuff is well made so I'm a fan. But I do think the materials break down with heat, age, and if you store them compressed so I think they are 5-10 year items, not lifetime purchases. I'm going to store this one in a closet in a larger open box hoping to prolong its lifespan.

Ari
11-Sep-2014, 10:28
Would it also be intimidating to load 8x10 in one of those?
Assuming you have a flat surface to work on, and you can get the top layer raised somehow.

Thanks for the review, it sounds promising for travel.

Richard Johnson
11-Sep-2014, 10:35
I had a hard time loading 8x10 in the medium standard Harrison Tent but then you read about guys on here loading 8x10 in those tiny Calumet Changing Globes so I wouldn't say it's impossible but I can't imagine it would be fun. They make a larger 36x36" changing bag that would probably be a safer bet.

Ari
11-Sep-2014, 10:45
Thank you, Richard.
The large bag is only about $10 more, and seems like a better fit for 8x10.
I keep a large Harrison tent at home, but it would not be very practical on the road.

Richard Johnson
11-Sep-2014, 10:55
I wonder how many bags I sold for them with this post? ;-p

Drew Bedo
12-Sep-2014, 19:57
When I first got my tent, I was impressed at the similarity to an actual camping tent in the construction details. Aside from the sleeves, it looks and erects just like the tents by our son's scout troop—down to the "tent peg loops" in the corners.

Rayt
17-Sep-2014, 08:40
For people with no darkroom but need to cut film say from 8x10 to 5x7 it would be possible to slide the rotary cutter into that huge Harrison changing bag when it would not fit into the largest changing tent. I ordered one and just to see if it is workable. If it doesn't work I could still use it for 8x10 holders.

Alan Gales
17-Sep-2014, 21:06
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Tinker-Toys-/19014/i.html

Get some old wooden Tinkertoys. Assemble some of them inside the changing bag to keep the top layer separated from the bottom. Disassemble when done.

Ari
22-Sep-2014, 11:34
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Tinker-Toys-/19014/i.html

Get some old wooden Tinkertoys. Assemble some of them inside the changing bag to keep the top layer separated from the bottom. Disassemble when done.

Clever, Alan.

Rayt
22-Sep-2014, 21:24
I am paranoid about introducing stuff into the bag for fear of dust. When I load the Mod54 with a small changing bag I prop up the bag with the Paterson tank and there is enough room to load the Mod54 freely, and then I just slowly angle the tank until it swallows the Mod.

rbultman
23-Sep-2014, 00:10
I used 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings to create a frame within my Kalt changing bag. I glued some of the joints and left others unglued so I could knock the frame down for storage. It works OK, it keeps the top of the bag out of the way while I load roll filmmakers in Paterson tanks. I have not tried 4x5 as I fear it is too small and will only frustrate me. It works well for the Paterson task that takes two 120 reels and smaller. I can post pictures if people are interested.

Peter Collins
23-Sep-2014, 00:50
I have a small, no-name changing bag--it doesn't match the description above of the small Harrison bag--and I am relieved when, at the end of a session, I have loaded holders still unexposed. 4x5 film holders. It means I didn't have to use that darn bag! When I MUST use it, I find it hot, my hands get moist; I worry that I've impacted the sheet of film I'm loading. My $0.02.

NoBob
8-Dec-2014, 10:32
Would a cardboard box inside the small Harrison bag work to raise the top and create space?

Lachlan 717
8-Dec-2014, 12:01
Would a cardboard box inside the small Harrison bag work to raise the top and create space?

No; it already has flexi-poles to lift the top to its highest point.

Ari
8-Dec-2014, 12:14
No; it already has flexi-poles to lift the top to its highest point.

Lachlan, are you referring to the tent or the bag?

Lachlan 717
8-Dec-2014, 12:21
Lachlan, are you referring to the tent or the bag?

Tent; didn't know there was a bag!! It's possible that I did, but my absolute distain for changing bags may have caused a repressed memory...

Larry Kellogg
8-Dec-2014, 13:26
I love my medium sized Harrison tent and would never use anything else. I load up to 5x7 in it. I think it would be too awkward to load 8x10 in it.

Fred L
8-Dec-2014, 16:11
I wonder why no one has made a changing tent based on an umbrella concept. Would be super easy to set up and offer lots of room. If I could sew, I'd be tempted to mod one just to see if it would work.

fwiw, I have the Harrison tents and a Shadow Box.

NoBob
8-Dec-2014, 21:09
Anyone use a cardboard box inside a bag?

Richard Johnson
8-Dec-2014, 22:14
Yes I am the OP. I simply flip a film box upright to keep the top of the bag from touching, that plus my hands in the bag allow me to load film without having film touch the surfaces of the bag. Not as convenient as the Harrison Tents but far more compact for occasional light use while traveling. Not really a backpacking solution but nice if you change on a hotel room desk.

If you don't have a darkroom then the tent is the wiser investment but this is nice for air travel with a compact kit. Practice before you go.