PDA

View Full Version : What I learned this last printing session..

Cor
8-Sep-2014, 08:29
Ok,

So this weekend I was Lith printing in my darkroom with my Durst L1200 Laoborator, equipped with condensors. I started with (IR) 4*5 negatives so the 150 condensors and the Schneider Componon-S 150, the correct combo. Than I switched to a 6*7 negative, and I usually print those with the same set-up. But I ran out of head space for the 30*40 FB prints (Kentmere Kentona) I was making. So I carelessly swapped the 150mm for the 80mm Componon-S.

The obtained result was weird and beautiful in a way. It took me some time to realise what had happened. first the image was vignetted, gained some contrast, but most weird of all it showed a textured pattern, which kinda worked. I wrongly assumed that the 150-1 and 150-2 condensors would easily provide uniform illumination for the 80mm lens as well. But off-course a 80mm lens is much closer to the condensors, and thus not providing even illumination, since the lens is not in the "focus point/area" of the condensors.

And the texture is most likely caused by the Anti-Newton glass on top. Changing to the appropriate condensor set for the 80mm brought everything back to normal.

I'll try to upload the images soon.

best,

Cor

Cor
8-Sep-2014, 10:04
Here are 2 quick digi snaps of the dried but still curly FB prints, as alaways: in real life the differences are more pronounced and the colours are also different, but I hope you get the idea (oh this image of my youngest son was shot on long time expired AgfaOrtho film souped in a special developer, the image was shot with a 200mm Imagon lens, on the "lowest" diffusion setting)

First the 150mm Condensor/80mm lens combo

And here the 80mm Condensor/80mm lens combo

Matsushime
9-Sep-2014, 11:33
Interesting, thanks for sharing!