PDA

View Full Version : Returning to USA from Canada??

Bob Farr
6-Sep-2014, 12:14
Hi,

I'd like to take a road trip from WA state to BC Canada. What is the customs protocol for exposed LF film when re-entering the US??? Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Bob

bob carnie
6-Sep-2014, 12:23
No problem with that

must have passport

Hi,

I'd like to take a road trip from WA state to BC Canada. What is the customs protocol for exposed LF film when re-entering the US??? Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Farr
6-Sep-2014, 12:34
Thanks Bob!!

Got the passport, just want the film to be safe.

Cheers,
Bob

BradS
6-Sep-2014, 12:38
If you're driving and have a current US passport (and you don't say something dumb to the officer) you will be very little troubled. They don't care about the film.

Michael Graves
9-Sep-2014, 05:04
I cross the border somewhat frequently and only once ever got subjected to the random search. I opened my trunk and the inspector said, "Wow. You carry a sh*tload of equipment, don't you?" The he told me I could go and to have a nice day.

Kevin Crisp
9-Sep-2014, 07:46
I don't know why we were selected, but one time heading north with the family (including a then 3 year old) we got pulled into a secondary inspection line. The search was so thorough they opened a tackle box and looked inside the carboard boxes holding lures.

Bruce Barlow
9-Sep-2014, 09:21
I made several border crossings on my long trip, and the US border folks were ALWAYS courteous, friendly, and professional.

I had trouble going into Canada each time, including having to pull over, park, and come inside to sit on a hard bench for 45 minutes until some guy in a bullet-proof vest came out and told me I could go. Weird.

My experiences with all US Federal employees was equally wonderful. My favorite was the guy at the entrance to Red Rocks near Lost Wages, who, in conversation, stretched his arms and said "Yeah, another day at the office," while grinning from ear-to-ear.

bob carnie
9-Sep-2014, 10:08
Funny Us Canadians find the Canadian Border Folks pretty friendly and always seem to find trouble with the US side.

I made several border crossings on my long trip, and the US border folks were ALWAYS courteous, friendly, and professional.

I had trouble going into Canada each time, including having to pull over, park, and come inside to sit on a hard bench for 45 minutes until some guy in a bullet-proof vest came out and told me I could go. Weird.

My experiences with all US Federal employees was equally wonderful. My favorite was the guy at the entrance to Red Rocks near Lost Wages, who, in conversation, stretched his arms and said "Yeah, another day at the office," while grinning from ear-to-ear.

cowanw
9-Sep-2014, 11:07
I have always found both sides to be friendly, except for the time when I was 18 coming back from a camping trip in Vermont. I was crossing into Montreal and the Canadian staff pulled my car over and pulled out everything including taking the back seat right out of the car. I was left to put it back together on my own, thank you very much; and the time I was with my wife and young kids coming back from Buffalo at Niagara falls. The female Canadian Border Guard seemed in a tiff and escalated into a rage as she crawled through the back seat in one door and out the other. We were all goggled eyed, my children are still traumatised 25 years later. I think she may have had a temporary hormonal disorder bordering on personality disorder.
As long as you tell the truth, no bad.

BrianShaw
9-Sep-2014, 11:23
Funny Us Canadians find the Canadian Border Folks pretty friendly and always seem to find trouble with the US side.

I'm not Canadian but found the same thing once a long time ago. Seems like there was a toll to cross the border, say 50 cents. So we gave the person two Canadian quarters, and the were asked for 10% more due to the exchange rate. So we gave him a Canadian dime... and once again was asked for 10% more. So we gave him a Canadian penny. Fortunately he just gave us the stink-eye and told us go proceed.

redrockcoulee
9-Sep-2014, 11:28
A couple of years ago my wife and I went into Montana at the Wild Horse crossing with a bunch of large format gear. US Customs guy suspected that we were commercial photographers until I told him it was large format and film and we were going to shot some old elevators whereas he immediately stopped looking into our car and started telling us about an abandoned rail line unfortuatenly the opposite direction we were heading to.

In my experiences crossing back and forth it is hit and miss on if Customs from either side is polite or rude but it is very unlikely they would open a film box or film holder especially once the problems that creates is explained.

Drew Bedo
16-Sep-2014, 06:44
We are taking a cruis up the Pacific coast to Alaska next summer. Flying into Seattle, but leaving on the ship from Vancouver B.C. I will take my 4x5 kit. Anything I should know about regarding customs on either side ? Will the cruise-line x-ray the luggage?

Willie
16-Sep-2014, 07:31
Some friends have had problems when they tried to take photos of their border crossing. Just family album stuff but it really set off the crossing officers. Threats of prison, impounding cars and cameras, scaring the kids.
Not sure what they are afraid of but it might be smart to keep the cameras off while crossing.

cowanw
16-Sep-2014, 08:59
We are taking a cruis up the Pacific coast to Alaska next summer. Flying into Seattle, but leaving on the ship from Vancouver B.C. I will take my 4x5 kit. Anything I should know about regarding customs on either side ? Will the cruise-line x-ray the luggage?

I expect customs will be in the basement of the hotel next to the dock in Vancouver. Quite cursory, but hand baggage did go through the scanner. suitcases ans such are handed over, to go to your room and are x rayed.

jbenedict
16-Sep-2014, 09:16
Another thing to keep in mind is registering your equipment with US Customs before you go.

Customs can and might charge you import tax on your own equipment when you come back into the country. I was taking a trip to Calgary, AB with a case full of Hasselblad. I had been told about this 'register' thing beforehand and took my gear into the Customs house and all of the serial numbers were taken and written onto a form and then signed and stamped by the customs agent. I thought it all was a waste of time until I tried to bring it back over the border. I was asked for my customs paperwork and was glad I had it. I asked why it was necessary and the agent told me it was because it was so valuable. If I had bought the case full of Hasselblad in Canada, I would have had to pay import tax on it to bring it back into the US. The customs registration was proof that I had the equipment in the US and had taken it to Canada to use it.

onnect17
16-Sep-2014, 18:32
Another thing to keep in mind is registering your equipment with US Customs before you go.

Customs can and might charge you import tax on your own equipment when you come back into the country. I was taking a trip to Calgary, AB with a case full of Hasselblad. I had been told about this 'register' thing beforehand and took my gear into the Customs house and all of the serial numbers were taken and written onto a form and then signed and stamped by the customs agent. I thought it all was a waste of time until I tried to bring it back over the border. I was asked for my customs paperwork and was glad I had it. I asked why it was necessary and the agent told me it was because it was so valuable. If I had bought the case full of Hasselblad in Canada, I would have had to pay import tax on it to bring it back into the US. The customs registration was proof that I had the equipment in the US and had taken it to Canada to use it.

Great advice!

Victor Loverro
16-Sep-2014, 19:19

Victor Loverro
16-Sep-2014, 19:25
I had a similar experience. I was asked my purpose in entering Canada and when I said photography, he took down the serial number of every piece of large format camera, lenses, meter etc. He gave me a copy but I was not asked for it on return to US. From jbenedict's experience, I will ask for an inspection and registration list in advance myself.

Brassai
23-Sep-2014, 20:16
I took the train across Canada last month and had no problems. I kept my mouth shut about camera gear. When they asked the purpose of the trip, I told them we wanted to see the birthplace of Justin Beiber. They just laughed and waved us on. We did fly from Vancouver to Toronto on a domestic airline. No problems. They did their sniff test on my film and that was it.

danno@cnwl.igs
24-Sep-2014, 08:17
I told them we wanted to see the birthplace of Justin Beiber.

Dear God, I hope there are better reasons to visit Canada !

djdister
24-Sep-2014, 08:23
I told them we wanted to see the birthplace of Justin Beiber. They just laughed and waved us on.

Good thing they have a sense of humor...

Ari
24-Sep-2014, 08:29
Dear God, I hope there are better reasons to visit Canada !

Yes, the birthplaces of Céline Dion, Bryan Adams and Alan Thicke.

Drew Wiley
24-Sep-2014, 10:44
They're concerned about spying on intellectual property, like someone discovering what color paint Bob used on his gallery walls!