PDA

View Full Version : Publication of book, Handcrafted: The Art and Practice of the Handmade Print

sanking
5-Sep-2014, 17:02
I am pleased to announce the publication of a book I took part in creating, HANDCRAFTED: The Art and Practice of the Handmade Print. Published in Hangzhou China it is beautifully printed, with around 200 pages of images and text.

A PDF of the content is available here:
http://goo.gl/8auBbY

A show primarily of prints by the 4 co-editors’ of the book (Sam Wang, Sandy King, Christina Z Anderson, Zhong Jianming) has just opened at the art museum of the Nanjing University of the Arts, partly as promotion for the book. It will travel to the Pingyao International Photography Festival in late September, then onto other venues in China.

Thank you for looking.

Sandy

ndg
5-Sep-2014, 17:48
Congrats Sandy! You really have played a huge role in keeping the alternative processes going, something I am personally very grateful for.

I am pleased to announce the publication of a book I took part in creating, HANDCRAFTED: The Art and Practice of the Handmade Print. Published in Hangzhou China it is beautifully printed, with around 200 pages of images and text.

A PDF of the content is available here:
http://goo.gl/8auBbY

A show primarily of prints by the 4 co-editors’ of the book (Sam Wang, Sandy King, Christina Z Anderson, Zhong Jianming) has just opened at the art museum of the Nanjing University of the Arts, partly as promotion for the book. It will travel to the Pingyao International Photography Festival in late September, then onto other venues in China.

Thank you for looking.

Sandy

Jim Becia
5-Sep-2014, 18:38
Will this be available for sale in the US?

Monty McCutchen
5-Sep-2014, 18:42
Sandy it is a beautiful book. Thank you

Monty

richardman
5-Sep-2014, 20:06
Nice. Too bad the writing is in Simplified Chinese and not Traditional Chinese :-)

sanking
6-Sep-2014, 07:56
Nice. Too bad the writing is in Simplified Chinese and not Traditional Chinese :-)

Nana, thank you for your comment, and it is good to see so many people on this forum, including you, involved in hand-coated emulsions and hand-crafted prints. Keep up the good work.

Jim, the intention of the publisher is to concentrate on the Chinese market so the basic text is in Chinese, not English/Chinese, even though much of the original documentation was submitted in English.

Richard, not many of the people I know understand the difference between Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese!! For sure the distinction is well over my head.

Sandy

zenny
6-Sep-2014, 08:26
@sandy:

Remarkable! I consider it as a humble tribute to the art of printmaking!! Thanks for sharing and wish you the best!!!

Doug Howk
6-Sep-2014, 09:05
Thanks, Sandy, for the link to the download.
Google Language Tools Translator does a reasonable job of translating the Chinese to English, etc..

richardman
6-Sep-2014, 16:34
Google Translate does a horrible job of Chinese to English, actually :-)

Sandy, perhaps you can provide your original English text as a PDF supplement? Or will it violate some kind of copyright?

William Whitaker
6-Sep-2014, 20:27
No plans for an english language release?

Oren Grad
6-Sep-2014, 20:58
Wow... thanks very much for sharing! Congratulations to you and your collaborators on the book and show. If the care in design that's reflected in the pdf is any indication, the book will be a jewel.

Struan Gray
6-Sep-2014, 23:39
Congrats Sandy. I only looked at the pictures, but they were food for thought enough.

sanking
8-Sep-2014, 12:12
No plans for an English edition. We were kind of expecting a bi-lingual edition, but that did not happen.

In preparing the introduction each of the editors wrote a small piece on the "why" of the hand made print. My contribution in the book was based on the attached article, which attempts to explain in some small part my personal interest in alternative and historical printing methods. I hope readers will understand that my comments are not a rejection of other methods of photography, only an affirmation of the value of craft.

Sandy

bob carnie
8-Sep-2014, 12:37
How about South Carolina drawl... I would accept that.

ndg
8-Sep-2014, 13:33
No plans for an English edition. We were kind of expecting a bi-lingual edition, but that did not happen.

In preparing the introduction each of the editors wrote a small piece on the "why" of the hand made print. My contribution in the book was based on the attached article, which attempts to explain in some small part my personal interest in alternative and historical printing methods. I hope readers will understand that my comments are not a rejection of other methods of photography, only an affirmation of the value of craft.

Sandy

Sandy, nice piece! Funny, for a while now, i have wanted to start a thread titled "The reason I print using (an) alternative process(es) is...."

William Whitaker
8-Sep-2014, 16:53
Nice commentary, Sandy, and well said. But that I could post this reply as a handwritten letter...

Tin Can
8-Sep-2014, 17:47
Thank you Sandy.

A true gift!

Mossypress
10-Sep-2014, 16:14
All inspiring work to look at, even without words.

cyrus
10-Sep-2014, 19:54
Is that what we're calling non-digital photography? "Handmade"? This isn't meant to be a quip, I'm trying to come up with a word that describes it but "non-digital" is defining it within the terms of digital, and I can't think of anything else. The french call it "Argentique" but what about non-silver based processes? Seriously, what is a quick way to describe non-digital photography?

sanking
10-Sep-2014, 20:44
Is that what we're calling non-digital photography? "Handmade"? This isn't meant to be a quip, I'm trying to come up with a word that describes it but "non-digital" is defining it within the terms of digital, and I can't think of anything else. The french call it "Argentique" but what about non-silver based processes? Seriously, what is a quick way to describe non-digital photography?

Handmade for the purpose of the book generally refers to prints made by hand coating, as opposed to machine coating or printing with a machine. This is the focus, not anti-digital. In fact, most of the contributors to the book, including me, make extensive use of digital techniques as a means to the end, which is a an actual print made by some form of hand coating, or hand work, and come primarily from a tradition known as alternative photography. I understand alternative photography to mean an activity outside of the normative, and it now includes many types of historical print making processes that were at one time the norm, such as albumen, carbon, and even pt/pd to some extent. When I began printing with alternative methods in the late 1970s - early 1980s the norm was silver gelatin printing, which at the time was based on factory coated papers. Printing with silver gelatin papers coated at a factory is not considered by most alternative photographers to be a form of hand-crafted printing, nor is printing with an inkjet printer.

Sandy

cyrus
10-Sep-2014, 22:43
Handmade for the purpose of the book generally refers to prints made by hand coating, as opposed to machine coating or printing with a machine.

Ok thanks, this makes sense. I guess then alternative process photography would include factory silver gelatin nowadays too.

pound
18-Sep-2014, 06:41
Very nice book, Sandy! Do you know it is available for sale at any online bookstore? It is not even listed on the publisher website yet.
Here is an Chinese online report abt the exhibition : http://finance.ifeng.com/a/20140906/13075766_0.shtml

sanking
18-Sep-2014, 10:30
Very nice book, Sandy! Do you know it is available for sale at any online bookstore? It is not even listed on the publisher website yet.
Here is an Chinese online report abt the exhibition : http://finance.ifeng.com/a/20140906/13075766_0.shtml

That was a huge space for the exhibition at the Nanjing University of the Arts. We could have had four times as many prints in that space!

Sorry but I don't have any details right now on distribution. Our colleague Zhong has been very busy since the book was published, and as I understand, has just traveled with the exhibition to the Pingyao International Festival of Photography which is going on now. He took some copies of the book for sale so anyone planning to be in Pingyao this weekend could buy a copy.

Sandy

sanking
22-Sep-2014, 17:03
View of the cavernous industrial space of the"Handcrafted" exhibition in Pingyao.

Sandy

Cletus
22-Sep-2014, 17:45
Has the link to the content of the book (on the first page of this thread) been deleted? I get an odd "file not found" message when I click the link. Chinese text or not, I'd really like to see these images!

pound
24-Sep-2014, 08:57
View of the cavernous industrial space of the"Handcrafted" exhibition in Pingyao.

Sandy
wow this is a much bigger space. :)

sanking
28-Sep-2014, 10:48
The "Handcrafted" book seems to be available on Amazon in China.

http://goo.gl/jtKHB9

Google Chrome will translate this into English.

The link to the .pdf was taken down because of some last minute changes. Sorry but I don't have a new link.

Sandy

pound
29-Sep-2014, 07:59
The "Handcrafted" book seems to be available on Amazon in China.

http://goo.gl/jtKHB9

Google Chrome will translate this into English.

The link to the .pdf was taken down because of some last minute changes. Sorry but I don't have a new link.

Sandy

thanks. It is also now available through the various merchants on Taobao (http://s.taobao.com/search?q=%BE%AD%B5%E4%CA%D6%B9%A4%D3%B0%CF%F1&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&search_type=mall&sourceId=tb.index&spm=a214x.6760217.5803581.d4908513) (their biggest online market place). I will probably order it after their Oct golden week holidays where their postal system will be less chaotic.

sanking
29-Sep-2014, 10:59
thanks. It is also now available through the various merchants on Taobao (http://s.taobao.com/search?q=%BE%AD%B5%E4%CA%D6%B9%A4%D3%B0%CF%F1&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&search_type=mall&sourceId=tb.index&spm=a214x.6760217.5803581.d4908513) (their biggest online market place). I will probably order it after their Oct golden week holidays where their postal system will be less chaotic.

Things move quickly in China. A week ago I could not tell anyone how to purchase the book, and now there seem to be many choices.

Also, the show has moved from Pingyao to Guangzhou. The organizer seems to be really on the ball in getting the work out there for people to see.

Sandy

richardman
17-Oct-2014, 19:52
I am going to try to "import" this book and a couple other exquisite books from China (Reflection of Soul by Yang Yankang and The Yellow River by Zhang Kechun). Zhang's book is via large format camera. Will set up shop either on my website or on Amazon, and will make announcement in the proper forum when plans finalized. I know people do not want to see commercial messages in non-Announcement / non-forsale forums.

pound
1-Nov-2014, 00:09
Finally have the handprinted book in my hands. I purchased it through China Taobao online marketplace.
300+ page of good stuff. I have much to learn from this book.

sanking
1-Nov-2014, 07:07
Finally have the handprinted book in my hands. I purchased it through China Taobao online marketplace.
300+ page of good stuff. I have much to learn from this book.

Thanks very much for your comment. I finally obtained my own copy of the book and am very pleased with the design and look. Apparently sales have been good and that the publisher is considering a another run in the spring.

We hope to have copies of the book to send to our contributors in a few weeks.

The exhibition will be moving to a commercial gallery in Beijing soon, if it is not already there.

Sandy

Dave Wooten
1-Nov-2014, 08:58
Wow! Congrats!

richardman
2-Nov-2014, 02:12
I should have 4 copies for sale within 2-4 weeks.

sanking
12-Jan-2015, 08:39
The book sold very well in China and is now being re-printed. We also got some nice reviews, including this blog which puts our book at the top of good new books on photographyt for the year.

http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MTI1NTUwODk2MQ==&mid=202679462&idx=3&sn=ae19a07b6036f4c73a7d85c027419828&scene=2&from=timeline&isappinstalled=0#rd

Our fellow contributors, all of who have now received copies of the book, seem to have been pleased with the look and presentation, even without English.

Sandy

Rayt
13-Jan-2015, 20:21
I am going to purchase book this week and then chase you down to sign it Sandy. Congratulations!

richardman
14-Jan-2015, 02:04
Sadly, my 6 copies is in a box somewhere between Hong Kong and San Francisco T_T

richardman
16-Jan-2015, 16:24
The BIG box from HK is finally here! I will put up a forsale post in the forum soon. I only purchased 3 copies and one of them is mine :-) so only two copies are for sale. More details soon!

richardman
17-Jan-2015, 12:46
Both are now sold. Pending payment. Thank you for your interest!

sanking
4-Mar-2015, 09:13
Reporting on some more recognition of the book on handcrafted photography, there is a new article that covers our book in the magazine Chinese Photography. A few images are attached.

Also, I was very pleased to hear that more than a dozen of the fairly large carbon prints that I had in the accompanying exhibition were sold to collectors at the gallery in Beijing. Overall the success of this project, both in terms of recognition and sales, was much greater than I anticipated.

Plus, the success of the project seems to have inspired the publisher to do more books on hand crafted printing. We are currently looking at possibilities is this area.

Sandy

mdm
4-Mar-2015, 09:55
That's fantastic. I enjoyed the book and specially found Brittany Nelson's work fascinating.

ndg
4-Mar-2015, 10:19
Wish I could land a copy!

sanking
4-Mar-2015, 11:57

A friend bought the book through this Chinese Amazon site. You will have to register as a new account since they apparently don't share with Amazon in the US your personal information.

On their website you can apparently choose English, though I did not make it that far myself.

Here’s the site:
http://goo.gl/lw5uwj

Sandy

ndg
4-Mar-2015, 12:41
Sandy, the site is in Chinese and I cannot figure out how to get the English version! Ah well!

Jim Fitzgerald
4-Mar-2015, 14:13
Sandy, I dont know how I missed this but congratulations.

Alternative printing is an art and it is great to see wonderful art at its best.

If you find out how I can buy a copy please let me know.

Oren Grad
4-Mar-2015, 18:11
Sandy, thanks very much for the heads-up about amazon.cn!

On the home page of amazon.cn there's a link "in English" that will show you just enough in English to allow you to find the link you need to set up an account. The screens for that will all be in English.

When you've done that, copy these characters into the search bar:

经典手工影像 (平装)

This will bring up a listing of the book, and clicking on that will take you to the book's page, from which you can place an order as usual for Amazon, using the big button on the right. Don't worry that the button is in Chinese - the rest of the process will be in English.

I just went through the process and placed an order without difficulty. The confirmation email, mostly in Chinese, just arrived.

I chose the less expensive of the shipping options, for which they projected a delivery time of 8-24 days.

Looking forward to receiving this! :)

sanking
4-Mar-2015, 18:52
That's fantastic. I enjoyed the book and specially found Brittany Nelson's work fascinating.

Thank you David, and glad you liked Brittany Nelson's work. Chris Anderson will be delighted to know this as Brittany was her student!!

Sandy

sanking
4-Mar-2015, 18:54
Hi Oren,

Thanks for providing the details for the process of ordering through amazon.cn!! And hope you enjoy the book.

Sandy

ndg
4-Mar-2015, 19:02
Thanks Oren! Placed my order too!

Sandy, thanks very much for the heads-up about amazon.cn!

On the home page of amazon.cn there's a link "in English" that will show you just enough in English to allow you to find the link you need to set up an account. The screens for that will all be in English.

When you've done that, copy these characters into the search bar:

经典手工影像 (平装)

This will bring up a listing of the book, and clicking on that will take you to the book's page, from which you can place an order as usual for Amazon, using the big button on the right. Don't worry that the button is in Chinese - the rest of the process will be in English.

I just went through the process and placed an order without difficulty. The confirmation email, mostly in Chinese, just arrived.

I chose the less expensive of the shipping options, for which they projected a delivery time of 8-24 days.

Looking forward to receiving this! :)

daniellemullens
4-Mar-2015, 22:56
As a contributing artist to the book myself, I am so pleased to find that the book is taking off and being reprinted! The book itself is stunning and the imagery and artists are all so diverse. I'm very glad I received a copy myself and would highly recommend the investment to anyone interested in handmade printing.

ndg
9-Mar-2015, 20:54
I came home to find a package from China on my desk - it was my copy of "Handcrafted: The Art and Practice of the Handmade Print"! All I can say is wow! It is so Photo-Seccesion-esque. Sandy (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/member.php?6667-sanking), to you and all the co-editors and contributor (including our own Monty McCutchen) well done. One does not need to be able to read Mandarin (it is Mandarin, right?) to appreciate the images (although it would be nice to be able to read the discussion at the end of the book).
Sandy (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/member.php?6667-sanking), are all your images carbons? And Monty (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/member.php?5830-Monty-McCutchen), if you read this, are your images Pd/Pt prints using wet plate images? For anyone into alternative process printing or who just appreciates great imagery, I highly recommend this book.

sanking
10-Mar-2015, 13:56
Nana,

Glad you liked the book. That was fast mail from China, seems only a few days ago that your ordered it!!

Most of my images in the book are from carbon prints, but there are also a few gold-toned vandyke prints. I did an article on my working procedures for gold toned vandyke a few years ago. The key to the beautiful black/blue tone is toning to completion with gold toner. Most gold-toned prints you see have a kind of purplish look, this means they still have a lot of silver in the print, i.e. have not been toned to completion.

Most of Monty's images in the book are from in-camera 20X24" wet-plate collodion prints developed on black trophy aluminum.

Sandy

ndg
10-Mar-2015, 14:01
Thanks Sandy! I wish it would be published in English too.

Nana,

Glad you liked the book. That was fast mail from China, seems only a few days ago that your ordered it!!

Most of my images in the book are from carbon prints, but there are also a few gold-toned vandyke prints. I did an article on my working procedures for gold toned vandyke a few years ago. The key to the beautiful black/blue tone is toning to completion with gold toner. Most gold-toned prints you see have a kind of purplish look, this means they still have a lot of silver in the print, i.e. have not been toned to completion.

Most of Monty's images in the book are from in-camera 20X24" wet-plate collodion prints developed on black trophy aluminum.

Sandy

Oren Grad
10-Mar-2015, 17:09
And I received my copy today! The box was a bit battered, but the book itself came through in perfect condition.

Just now have had a chance to break the flavor seal and make a first pass through it. Sandy, and everyone else involved - bravo!

More's the pity that there isn't at least a companion booklet with English text. But I realize that substantial work would be involved to compile one. It's clear, though, what the book is trying to do, and even without the texts it's a nice reminder of the work of some familiar artists and introduction to the work of several that are new to me.

sanking
15-Jun-2015, 10:15
A new hard cover edition of the book on handcrafted processes came out. So far as I know no changes from the first edition. We discussed including an appendix in English, don't know if it was actually done.

We are currently working on some other process specific manuscripts for the publisher, including one on carbon transfer.

Sandy

sanking
6-Nov-2015, 14:47
"A new hard cover edition of the book on handcrafted processes came out. So far as I know no changes from the first edition. We discussed including an appendix in English, don't know if it was actually done."

To clarify, the hard cover 2nd edition of the book does indeed include the original text in English, as an appendix, that the three American co-authors gave the publisher. I found the book available for sale from Gold Street Studios in Australia.

http://www.goldstreetstudios.com.au/photographic-supplies/handcrafted-the-art-and-practice-of-the-handmade-print/

Sandy

dwross
7-Nov-2015, 05:23
Great news, Sandy. Congrats! I hope the book ends up with a very wide distribution.

decoll
1-Apr-2016, 03:00
We've recently reviewed the Handcrafted book, with images and information on how to buy it, on our blog, nonfigurativephoto, at http://www.nonfigurativephoto.blogspot.com. Hats off to all involved - Sam, Sandy, Christina and Zhong.

Douglas Collins