PDA

View Full Version : Focusing screen protection

semck83
5-Sep-2014, 07:50
Hi,

I'm going on a trip with my Tachihara, and I'd like to pack it in a used Domke Outpack I bought. There aren't a lot of dividers, and the camera is going to go in the large, second-lowest compartment, which is far too large for it. I can cushion it nicely from lateral movement by putting my blackjacket beside it; but the compartment is also too deep, and I don't want the camera "swinging" forward and backward, hitting its focusing screen on the back (zipper) side of the case.

I have some bubble wrap I can use to cure this problem, but I'm worried about scratching the focusing screen. Would bubble wrap do that? Is there some material I should place between the bubble wrap and the focusing screen?

Thank you!

Bob Salomon
5-Sep-2014, 08:35
Wista ships their wooden 45 cameras from the factory with a piece of cardboard over the gg to protect it. The cardboard is pretty thin and is cut to fit over the entire gg area + the part of the back that holds the gg so the cardboard can't shift during transit. It just lays in place.

mdarnton
5-Sep-2014, 08:48
Why not buy the real thing? Several manufacturers make ground glass protectors, along this general line: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA4NVgxNjAw/z/cCYAAOSwhh5TpeYg/$_57.JPG
(That one is from Cambo)

Jac@stafford.net
5-Sep-2014, 09:40
I make my own.

Light Guru
5-Sep-2014, 09:44
http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=2&product_id=140

semck83
5-Sep-2014, 10:09
Thanks for the responses! I'm leaving today, so I'll use the cardboard suggestion this time, but I'll definitely look into the manufactured protectors. Thanks a bunch!

Ari
5-Sep-2014, 13:08
I use a sheet of clear plexi; it stays in place for composing, then comes off for focusing.

Bob Salomon
5-Sep-2014, 13:14
I use a sheet of clear plexi; it stays in place for composing, then comes off for focusing.

Why remove it? If your loupe has been properly adjusted to focus on the ground side of the gg then you can save a step and leave the plexi on.

Ari
5-Sep-2014, 13:42
Why remove it? If your loupe has been properly adjusted to focus on the ground side of the gg then you can save a step and leave the plexi on.

It is non-optical plexiglass, and as such, critical focusing is impossible.