PDA

View Full Version : fujinon W 210mm lens

phil sweeney
19-Nov-2004, 08:44
Hey everybody! For the fujinon W 210mm lens I have reviewed all the searches and this website: http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm (http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm). Since the lens covers 8 x 10 with an image circle of 352mm, I'd like to know if anyone ever setup this lens on a large camera and made their own image circle measurements. Based on the specifications I see there is not alot of movement on 8 x 10 but for contact printing there may effectively be more. Still looking for an affordable replacement for the g-claron.

Gem Singer
19-Nov-2004, 09:23
Hi Phil,

Take a look at "The Webs Most Complete Fujinon Large Format Lens List"- www.members. aol.com/subgallery/byfl.htm (there's a link to that site right here on the main page of this website. Scroll down to "Other Links and Resources").

There are seven versions of the Fuji 210 lens listed. The only one with the 352mm. image circle is an early f5.6 210W, mounted in a Copal 1 shutter. That lens took a 58mm. screw-in filter and had the the printing on the inside of the filter ring. It will cover the 8x10 format, judging from the specs. It is a very rare lens. You would be fortunate to find a clean previously owned one.

An affordible replacement for a G-Claron is the Fujinon f9 240A. That lens has a 336mm. image circle and will cover the 8x10 format, with minimal movement capability.

tim atherton
19-Nov-2004, 09:40
I actgually have one of the 210mm lenses Eugene mentioned - came across it and also figured it could replace my G-Claron. It's beena while since I tried it, but I seem to recall it didn't cover siginificantly more than the Claron - it gets used on 4x5 now.

Jim G is going to hate me for ruining his Kowa Graphic franchise plans... :-) But at the same time I came into the Fuji I lucked into a Kowa Graphic 210mm f9/6.8 - at the time cheap and it slipped straight into the Claron's Copal shutter. Scads of image circle (388mm ish), smaller than the G Claron and sharp as a tack - I'd be hard pressed to use anythigng else at 210mm I think.

You can still hunt them down - usually in barrel - but the price seems to have gone up.

Several threads if you search the archives

phil sweeney
19-Nov-2004, 09:42
Tim,

I have sort of ruled out finding a computar or Kowa graphic at a decent price!

phil

phil sweeney
19-Nov-2004, 09:58
Eugene,

Are you aware of any differences in the W series if the lettering is inside the filter ring or on the barrel?

phil

Michael Dowdall
19-Nov-2004, 12:07
Phil

I use this lens on an 8x10. It has enough room for the modest movements I use (e.g. Landscapes). This lens is the newest lens I use and I find it to be a very sharp lens all the way to the edge of the I.C. There is a sharp edge to the I.C. It’s not like a W.A. Dagor that I use on 4x5, that has a circle of good definition but the image keeps going past that and the image degrades the further you go.

Michael

Gem Singer
19-Nov-2004, 12:55
Hello again Phil,

The main difference between a Fuji with inside, compared to outside, lettering on the barrel is that the lens with inside lettering is single coated and the lens with outside lettering is EBC (multi) coated. There are also differences in design and manufacturing. Please see the detailed information on the website I referred to in my original answer.

Most standard 210 lenses, from any of the major LF lens manufacturers, do not have large enough image circles to cover the 8x10 format, when focused at infinity. However, they can usually be used as close-up lenses for 8x10. And yes, I am aware of the non- standard exceptions such as the Apo Sironar-W and the Super Symmar XL. Take a look at Michael K. Davis' comparison charts on the home page of this website. Scroll down to "Lenses". Then click on 8x10 format.

phil sweeney
20-Nov-2004, 08:24
Eugene,
thanks - I reviewed all those links. however, elsewhere I found that it appears the lens with the lettering on the barrel is not the same as the single coated W and has a smaller image circle.
phil

tim atherton
25-Nov-2004, 22:39
This looks like one of them (you never can tell though - Fuji documentation of their range of lenses in English has some holes in it)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30076&item=3856025421&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30076&item=3856025421&rd=1)

tim atherton
25-Nov-2004, 22:40
Should have added it was for info only - note the Zero feedback....

tim atherton
25-Nov-2004, 22:42
Ha - I see Phil bought one already on ebay...

Let us know what you think when you get it

phil sweeney
27-Nov-2004, 18:36
Tim,

I measured the circle of illumination of the lens: at f22 it looks like about 14 1/8 inches to me. At f45 14 1/2. Should be a good replacement for the g claron.