PDA

View Full Version : Sinar P 4x5 with 5x7 back??

lfb
3-Sep-2014, 06:22
i am looking for sinar p 4x5.

there is sinar p 4x5 with 5x7back in ebay.

do i have to buy 4x5 back to use this item?
Sinar 4x5 Metering Back?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinar-P1-Large-Format-Film-Camera-4x5-with-5x7-back-/261544038958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce53d522e&autorefresh=true

Tin Can
3-Sep-2014, 07:37
I saw that ad earlier.

Something fishy there as the seller is not showing the 5x7 set up on the sticks.

The complete camaera pics show a 4x5 set up.

Does it have the 4x5 back, can't tell that either.

Ask him for more and better pictures.

Do some research on the P system.

monsta
3-Sep-2014, 08:44
the 4x5 back is set up on the first pics and the extra back and bellows are the 5x7 which just slots/screws in place of the 4x5 back, doesn't look fishy to me and i have no connection with the seller.

Alan Gales
3-Sep-2014, 09:39
the 4x5 back is set up on the first pics and the extra back and bellows are the 5x7 which just slots/screws in place of the 4x5 back, doesn't look fishy to me and i have no connection with the seller.

That is how it looks to me too. Contact the Seller and ask just to be sure.

The original P's came with a regular back and not a metering back. The P2's came with the metering back. You don't need the metering back unless you are going to use the metering probe.

Tin Can
3-Sep-2014, 10:06
I just lose my patience with poor images and set up for eBay sales

Sellers think buyers are clairvoyant and don't take the time to show the product properly.

While that camera may or may not be a 'good' deal, the member here seems a novice and needs all the help he can get to confidently buy.

In addition it seems he is uninterested in 5x7.

I know I bought a lot of junk, learning the ropes of eBay.

Alan Gales
3-Sep-2014, 11:43
I just lose my patience with poor images and set up for eBay sales

Sellers think buyers are clairvoyant and don't take the time to show the product properly.

While that camera may or may not be a 'good' deal, the member here seems a novice and needs all the help he can get to confidently buy.

In addition it seems he is uninterested in 5x7.

I know I bought a lot of junk, learning the ropes of eBay.

Randy, I just love poor images and lousy or wrong descriptions. I have gotten my best deals that way! ;)

You are right about a newbie though. They can easily get burned.

The price of this auction seems fair. I would be interested in if the camera's movements are smooth. Some of these cameras have lubricant that is gummed up from lack of use and others are just plain worn out. I'd be asking the Seller plenty of questions.

The 5x7 back can be easily resold if the Buyer decides that he doesn't want it.

Captain_joe6
5-Sep-2014, 00:44
What you're looking at in those pictures as already a basic, run-of-the-mill Sinar P 4x5. Regular 4x5 bellows, regular 4x5 back (consisting of a 4x5 carrier frame and a 4x5 film back). Additionally, it comes with a complete 5x7 carrier frame, 5x7 film back, and tapered 5x7 bellows.

If you want to shoot 4x5, then this camera is, in theory, good to go right out of the box. With a few minutes of changeover work, it will also be ready to shoot 5x7 without the addition of any Sinar-specific parts.

You want a plain, basic, completely regular film back. You do not want a metering back, unless you know exactly what it is, what it is for, how it works, and what other parts it requires to be used.

I'd say that about sums it up.

Dirk Rösler
5-Sep-2014, 04:15
Looks "OK", but not great given that e.g. 5x7 bellows is not in good shape ("pinholes" seems a slight understatement). But I think you have everything to shoot both 4x5 and 5x7 right there (camera wise), no extras needed. If you don't like the 5x7 parts you can sell probably for $200 or so. Then again, a P for $300-$350 is not that great either sadly. If you can strike a good deal, nice, otherwise don't sweat it, there are plenty of these.

Personally I would buy here on the forum, unless you get this setup for say $300 total... but even then if it gives you plenty headaches, what's the point? You'll 'pay' one way or the other.

Good luck

Alan Gales
5-Sep-2014, 10:19
There is a Sinar C on KEH right now in bargain condition selling for $300.00. It has the cheaper F style front standard instead of the beefier geared P front standard and is in bargain condition. From what I see on Ebay real nice Sinar P's usually go in the $400.00+ range. The Sinar F's usually go for around $300.00.

If you can find one selling on this forum you may get a better deal like Dirk suggests. Sometimes Ebay prices are a bit inflated.