PDA

View Full Version : Center Filter and 89B/RG695 together for IR?

resurgance
3-Sep-2014, 02:37
Hi there, after shooting and loving 6x12 and sometimes with IR, I have recently acquired a Linhof 6x17 with the 90mm fixed lens and the matching 105mm Schneider center filter.
I have not used a center filter before apart from what I have shot so far with the Linhof, I can see in the proofs that the center filter works very well, as I did in images detect falloff with the 6x12 shot with its 65mm Grandagon. (cant enlarge 6x17 yet, I pick up 8x10 enlarger in 3 weeks....)
So, this summer (Southern Hemisphere) I plan to get out with IR film and shoot up a storm.

I think last lot I did I shot at EI4 or maybe even EI2 with a Hoya R72, and the negs were quite dense. strong IR effect though.
Have just ordered a Heiliopan 105mm RG695 to fit the Schneider CF, then it dawned on me that I will be shooting crazy low EI.
OK in itself as I will mostly be shooting stillish landscapes.

My next thought pertained to IR and CFs in general, does the CF work in the same way with IR as it does in visible light?
Would I be better off shooting IR without the CF?

Just interested to hear others experiences with the above.
If I hear back in time and its a complete waste of time I might downgrade the filter size to 82mm....

vinny
3-Sep-2014, 04:18
How much was that heliopan 105 ir filter???!!!!!!
Yes, the nd will work.

resurgance
4-Sep-2014, 00:40
Excellent! Hmmm. yeah a few dollars. 160 pounds plus 20 pounds shipping. Wondering what for at the moment, as I have just been told the 8x10 enlarger I had lined up is possibly not a go.... :(
So not sure about how much use the expensive IR filter will get with only a 4x5 enlarger, might go back to the 6x12.....

Sob, snuffle.