PDA

View Full Version : Ebony lens box modified with sliding lid

John Schneider
1-Sep-2014, 22:17
Here are my modifications to an Ebony box (see http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=2_17_117&product_id=3490). I bought it used from a Forum member (two boxes but one lid) and I was rather disappointed. The lid merely fit in place, the box was made from luan mahogany 3-ply plywood, and covered in a stretch velcro-compatible fabric. The strong point is that it can hold lenses on Linhof TK boards by the edges of the lens board, so no loads on the lens cells. Also, by varying the slot(s) you use, it is instantly adjustable to whatever lenses you want to place inside. I sold one box + lid and determined to make the remaining box more usable.

I cut down one end to the top of the foam, and (being luan) I had to seal the endgrain with epoxy and paint to make it stiff enough to sand and resist wear. I took a sheet of nylon and cut it to a sliding fit into the box, and drilled a finger hole. I then took some angle aluminum and milled it to give a snug fit to the sliding lid. Not shown are the three #4 wood screws/side to attach the angle pieces after they come back from anodize.

Now it's infinitely more usable in the field, as I don't have to worry about the lid falling off the the lenses falling in the sand. I would not do it again as a modification; it would be much less work and a better finished product to start from scratch with birch plywood, once you find a source for the slotted foam.

Tim Meisburger
2-Sep-2014, 00:19
Nice work! I thought about making a box like this long before I ever saw the Ebony version, but have never done it. Wouldn't it be easier to just cut the slots into the wood, rather than using slotted foam?

John Schneider
2-Sep-2014, 09:27
Wouldn't it be easier to just cut the slots into the wood, rather than using slotted foam?

If you have a table saw (which I don't), then probably yes, although the foam does give a bit of vibration and sound damping so the lensboards don't rattle around.

hoffner
2-Sep-2014, 10:24
Nice work! I thought about making a box like this long before I ever saw the Ebony version, but have never done it. Wouldn't it be easier to just cut the slots into the wood, rather than using slotted foam?

I have made such boxes (smaller) from polyvinyl sheets, all hold with angle aluminum , for all my lenses. Some hold just one lens, some more of them. And yes, I made the slots of wood (screwed to the sheet or you can also use angle aluminum pieces ) but put on them foam which is also on the bottom of the boxes, to damp eventual hits. The sliding cover is easy to secure against falling out with a simple hole in it and a corresponding "bump" (plastic again) that falls in it. Very lightweight and it even gives enough of protection for a bumpy ride in a backpack, where I carry it.