PDA

View Full Version : modern field camera w/long focus?

Darin Cozine
19-Nov-2004, 02:30
Do any of the modern (and inexpensive) field cameras like the tachihara, shen-hao, nagaoka, etc, have a focus in the range of 15-20 inches?

Thanks.
-Darin

Eirik Berger
19-Nov-2004, 03:56
My (inexpencive) Shen Hao HZX-IIA has a 360mm (14 inches) max bellows extension. You can use a 360mm lens on infinity focus, but not for close-up purposes. I use a 300 mm APO Ronar as the longest lens on this camera.

Edward (Halifax,NS)
19-Nov-2004, 05:53
I think the least expensive field camera with alot of extension is the Wisner 4X5s Traditional. It is just under $1600 so that is a fair bit mor than the cameras that you mentioned, but it has 23 inch (584mm) of extension. The Gandolfi Variant has 480mm of extension but it costs ~1000 GBP.

Chuck_1686
19-Nov-2004, 05:54
You might check the prices on used 2nd generation (non-Wista) Zone VI cameras. A lot of them were sold and they may be cheaper then used Deardorf's.

Steve Hamley
19-Nov-2004, 05:54
Darin,

In a word, no, at least for the models you've mentioned. Very, very few wooden 4x5 fields if any, except maybe the new pricey Layton, will have 20" of draw. The Ebony SV45Ti/Te/U will handle a 19" lens at infinity but just barely, but these are triple draw cameras and not inexpensive by any stretch. An 18" lens is about the maximum usable on the Ebony models above, the SV45U2 has a little more.

Being double draw instead of triple draw is one thing that keeps the bellows short and the price down on the cameras you mentioned.

Steve

Gem Singer
19-Nov-2004, 06:31
Hi Darin,

Another approach to obtaining an inexpensive long bellows camera is to use a 5x7 Tachihara or Shen Hao with a 4x5 reducing back. Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange, sent me a 5x7 Tachihara with a 4x5 reducing back and an adapter lensboard so that I can use my lenses that are mounted in Linhof Tech type lensboards. It has enough bellows extension to use a Fuji 450C lens, mounted on a flat lensboard, for head and shoulders portraits. It's not a heavy camera, but it would be a bulky camera for backpacking. It can also be used it in the 5x7 format. I haven't had it out in the field yet, but from the trial runs here in the house, the camera outfit is a pleasure to operate.

Frank Petronio
19-Nov-2004, 06:34
They're not field cameras, but the older Calumet/Orbit/Kodak "coat hanger" monorails are long and lightweight - and not that bad a camera really. For $150 they're hard to beat. For $250 you can find a Linhof Super Color ST, which is the same idea only much, much nicer - again, only about eight pounds - only drawback being the long monorail.

Edward (Halifax,NS)
19-Nov-2004, 06:37
Eugene, doesn't that limit you with lenses on the short side? I don't think using anything shorter than a 90mm would be possible.

Pete Roody
19-Nov-2004, 06:40
Used Wisner Technical Field cameras sell for ~ $1000 and have 20+ inches of bellows draw.

Danny Burk
19-Nov-2004, 06:55
You can use a Nikkor 500mm tele on a Shen-Hao; not much room to spare, but it's perfectly usable.

Regards,
Danny www.dannyburk.com

Gem Singer
19-Nov-2004, 07:28
Hi Edward,

You are absolutely correct. Because of the extreme bellows contraction, the camera does not allow me to use myFuji 90SW, and my Fuji 105SW is just barely able to focus at infinity with a small amount of movement capability. The problem could probably be solved with a bag bellows. Unfortunately, the Tachi doesn't have an interchangeable bellows feature. Since it is relatively inexpensive as 5x7 cameras go, it doesn't seem to be designed for wide angle lenses. More evidence that there is no such thing as a "perfect" camera.

MIke Sherck
19-Nov-2004, 07:58
Do any of the modern (and inexpensive) field cameras like the tachihara, shen-hao, nagaoka, etc, have a focus in the range of 15-20 inches?

The Wisner Traditional (about $1500 new from MPEX) is the least expensive new 4x5 camera with bellows longer than 14". While there are other options as described above (more expensive cameras, using a 5x7 as a 4x5, or an older monorail,) if you want a new field camera that's the least expensive choice. As a side note, if you're going to spend $1500 or more for a new camera, take a serious hands-on look at Ebony. The cost is greater; the quality is much higher: simply superb cameras. Wisners just aren't in the same league. I had a Wisner for a week and sent it back; if I had the money I'd go with an Ebony.

But I don't have the money. I'd like enough bellows to focus a 300mm lens down to about ten feet or so (or my Fuji 180 1:1) and maybe the Shen-Hao will do that in real life; I don't know. A used Zone VI with a longer bellows would be all right, I suppose, but their prices are higher than I can afford. I'll probably try the Shen-Hao from somewhere with a good return policy, just in case.

Nick_3536
19-Nov-2004, 08:49
Scroll down to my Question on the 5x7 Shen Hao. It's more money then the Shen Hao 4x5 but sounds like it fits all your needs. 600mm is 24 inches.

http://www.shen-hao.com/proaccessories.html (http://www.shen-hao.com/proaccessories.html)

If you can give up the request for modern then something like an Ansco 5x7 with a 4x5 back should handle your long needs but you'll need a recessed board for wider then I guess 120mm. OTOH you'll save $1000.

Frank's suggestion of the Calumet monorail will go to 22" for the long rail model. But light? It's okay for weight. Plus it's not exactly easily to haul. Fine for 100 metres from the car.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Nov-2004, 08:57
Technikas all have about 17.5", and there's not a huge difference between a Tech IV, V, and Master Tech. If you are just purchasing the body (though it's nice to have at least one cammed lens), an older Tech IV isn't outrageously expensive. A Tech III has the same extension and is even less expensive, but it's harder to find lensboards.

Gary J. McCutcheon
19-Nov-2004, 09:34
To answer your question directly, no. You may find a used Zone VI or Wisner for a little more money. I've seen used Zone VI cameras at KEH and Midwest Photo for around $700 to $900. Used Wisners go for a little more. Around $1500 will give you a new Wisner Traditional and you may find one at Midwest ready to go. The Ebonies are beautiful and sturdy, but you'd have to spend at least $2595 for the sv45ti to get the bellows you want. The thing is, you can do everything the Ebony does with a used Zone VI or Wisner. Check with Jim at Midwest photo, he won't steer you wrong and may have a suggestion or two.

Gary

CXC
19-Nov-2004, 12:12
15-20 inches is a pretty broad range; you'd probably be better off selecting a particular lens as your longest, and a particular focussing distance (less than infinity, if any) that you require, to work out a more exact bellows length requirement.

And of course you should do the same with short lenses. If you like ultra-wide, you may need a camera that can be fitted with a bag bellows.

If you like the design of wooden field cameras, but are open to other materials, I can recommend the Walker Titan (ABS plastic & stainless steel), which I use with lenses from 65mm to 450mm. $1700.

Brian Ellis
19-Nov-2004, 16:07
"My inexpensive Shen Hao has 360mm (14 inches) of bellows extension."

Well not exactly. I believe it actually has 12 inches of bellows extension. I think you're getting the extra two inches by using base and axis tilts to move the lens farther forward. I have nothing against Shen Haos, from all I read they're excellent cameras, but I think people who don't know better are likely to be mislead if they read something like this and think they're getting a camera that has a 14 inch bellows. Any field camera that has base and axis tilts can gain an extra couple inches of forward movement by using base and axis tilts (or an extension lens board could be used for the same effect) but that doesn't mean the bellows will extend any farther, just that the lens can be moved farther forward than the bellows alone will allow.

Gary J. McCutcheon
21-Nov-2004, 00:56
Just saw two Zone VI cameras on E-bay for reasonable value. A Wisner Tech Field yesterday. Midwest photo is selling it. They will see that everything is as it should be.
Gary