PDA

View Full Version : Need Help in Identifying Old Camera

rossn4
29-Aug-2014, 19:18
Hi, I have an old camera which I have not been able to identify a maker. I can not find any writing on it at all. The ground glass is missing but it would be 8 1/2 x 8 1/2. The bed looks like it will extend from frame to be about twice the length shown. The ground glass swings down and then a plate holder can be slide in from the side. My guess is that the camera is European in origin but I am not sure. Thank you for any help you could provide.

Steven Tribe
30-Aug-2014, 01:19
My guess is that this is American in origin!

Period is 1895 - 190?. This shows a lot of similarities with the Century studio camera from 1900 and their design is related to earlier US studio cameras from the 1890's (Anthony?).

Someone will be able to remove the question marks later to-day!

Jakelovesphoto
30-Aug-2014, 07:06
I'm certainly no expert but it looks like a Kodak. I can't fathom why it's not labeled though.

Louis Pacilla
30-Aug-2014, 07:26
I would make an educated guess your camera was a dry plate studio camera made by American Optical Camera Co. (1875-1885 ish) before Century Camera Co. was formed.

rossn4
30-Aug-2014, 10:22
I can see why someone might think this is American because of the box joints on the front case but with the very wide metal gear tracks with the grooves at angles seem to be a very European feature. Also the wooden webbing between the tracks is also found mainly in European cameras. I took a close up view of the wide metal tracks and also of the latch as it unusual. The ground glass frame does not have box joints but shows a more European form of joinery. I was thinking that this was a German or Eastern European camera. I appreciate your comments.

goamules
30-Aug-2014, 11:30
It looks distinctly American to me. I'm not sure of the type, but I have a few ideas. Researching. I also agree with Louis, that it appears earlier, rather than later. I'd guess right now about 1870s to 1880s, no later.

Louis Pacilla
30-Aug-2014, 14:34
It looks distinctly American to me. I'm not sure of the type, but I have a few ideas. Researching. I also agree with Louis, that it appears earlier, rather than later. I'd guess right now about 1870s to 1880s, no later.

Thanks Garrett. Maybe I should have left the "educated guess" out of my answer.

Anyhow, always good to have a fellow "educated guesser" have the same "educated guess".:):rolleyes:

Steven Tribe
30-Aug-2014, 16:16
Points about the angled track and the base joinery are absolutely correct! I have 4 German studio cameras and the two earliest (1890?) are with angle cut tracks. But, already then, they have the speration of the base to capture long focal lengths/close-ups. So if it is German, then we are looking at the 1880's.

I assumed that all studio cameras have the 2 massive L shaped brass bracket, but I can see that this central small pivot was used in Germany as early as 1852.

I have lots of identical brass fixtures on my sliding backs (German - again). The are not really reliable in identifying or dating the camera as Photographer's modernised and change size format a lot.