PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a modern timer release for LF lens?

richardman
29-Aug-2014, 17:55
I am thinking about building an electronic timer cable release. It can be used a as one shot (LF selfie :-) ) or timed exposure. I am thinking something that can be velcro'ed on to the camera base or tripod leg and then actuate a cable release type of thing.

For user interface, I am thinking about simple 2 selectors:
1) 2 or 15 secs (LF selfie may take more steps to get into position :-) ) for the first trip.
2) a logarithmic style "2nd trip" selector from 0 (no timed exposure) then from 30 sec to 2 hours. Unless you are Michael Kenna, that should be long enough?

When doing 15 secs non-timed exposure, there will be the customary blinking LED.
The unit will probably run on a couple AAAs, bring spares :-). It will have a battery gauge of course.

Questions:
1) Is this interesting to anyone else?
2) For timed exposure, it's best to use T mode. Should I go ahead and require that or should I handle B mode too. The design is such that T mode would hardly use any power, not sure about B mode.
3) I could design it to be all fancy that can be controlled via a phone app, and truth be told, since my main strength is software, this actually would be easier :-) but it is probably overkill?

Fr the eventual question of "how much," if this ever becomes a commercial or KickStarter product, the cost should be fairly minimal. The parts should be well under $15, except for the injection molding. Those require $2000-$3000 startup cost :-/

Comments and suggestions?

vinny
29-Aug-2014, 18:14
Yes, because those long air bulb releases suck.
There's only one item sort of like this sold but it's using a manual remote and runs about $140. I've started threads on this subject in the past (and a few months back) because i need something like that.
I planned on using an rc servo and a bluetooth module but i need a new phone first.
Rfduino was one option but not for $15. Having the phone control it would be a great thing for numerous reasons. An led indicator when the shutter is open would be great.
Put me down for one.

Tin Can
29-Aug-2014, 18:48
Timing it is easy, but a lot of shutters need a fairly hard push on the release lever and some require a long small wire push.

I suggest you research shutters before designing anything.

I tried RC servos with a programmable command unit to operate a Packard shutter, you can find my project in the DIY thread.

I use an NOS German spring wound device that works for me on any shutter that can be cable operated.

BetterSense
29-Aug-2014, 18:50
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E594ZX0

Of possible interest

richardman
29-Aug-2014, 19:04
I am NOT concerned about the electronic part. That's my dayjob. In fact, we will release our own "better" RFDuino probably in 3-4 months.

Yes, it will use a small servo.

I understand some shutters require more work than others. I am mainly supporting the modern Copal and similar shutters. I am not proficient with mechanical designs, so I figure to get the first version out and see what happens.

The cost will definitely be significantly less than $140. $50($49 :-) ) is probably the ballpark.

vinny
29-Aug-2014, 19:13
Yeah, don't worry about anything other than copal shutters. In a perfect world it would fire my pentax 67II and prontor shutters but hey, you're on the right track. I'm not smart enough to write the app or wire everything myself. I wish you the best of luck.

Vaughn
29-Aug-2014, 19:33
My Copal 3 requires a cable with a medium-long throw. Not every store-bought one will work for that shutter. It has gotten picky with age/use.

I do not think I would use such a timer much. But at the same time, it would be fun to have. Not being tied to the camera could open up some new types of imagery..who knows?

Sometimes during long exposures I have to close the lens due to wind, then reopen the lens when the wind stops and continue with the exposure. So it might be nice to have an interrupt feature on the timer that can do the same.

munz6869
29-Aug-2014, 19:36
I'd be interested in that - I often make LF 'selfies' and I am always attached to a bulb and rubber tube in them :-)

Marc!

John Koehrer
29-Aug-2014, 19:38
For the selfie I'm guessing you would select a shutter speed and the timer just trips the shutter?

Be nice to have timed exposures using B simply because it's an open/close with only one release stroke.

It would also be easy enough to have a dual size battery holder AA/AAA like some of the NIMH chargers use.

jp
29-Aug-2014, 19:54
I think a good selling point would be the ability to choose long shutter speeds. The lens shutter goes to 1s. How about 2,4,8,15,30,60,120,240,480 seconds selectable with a dial and displayed on a simple lcd.

Another useful way of using it would be a x second delay. It could permanently replace the cable release (for landscape, probably not for people photos) if it can do it's job without undue vibration if I can push a button and 5 seconds later, the shutter does it's thing.

richardman
29-Aug-2014, 20:01
Right, the X second delay is what I meant by 2sec / 15 sec first "tripping."

Not a problem with B timed exposure. It will at worse draw more current, but let me think about this.

Once if we consider fine control, e.g. precise timed exposure etc., then a phone integration makes more sense. May be it will have both - simple selectors and fancy phone control for advanced use (yes, it will support both Android and iOS) - but may be not for initial prototype...

Yes, a way to interrupt timed exposure is important.

Thanks all!

Oren Grad
29-Aug-2014, 22:48
If you can make a reliable device for $50, then I want one. Ideally it would allow timed exposures up to a few seconds - beyond that doesn't matter to me for this device. But it needs to be usable without a phone.

StoneNYC
30-Aug-2014, 00:13
I would be for sure, I like the iPhone app idea, could you add a motion sensor to it? For LF wildlife?

Also, why stop at 2 hours? Could you at least do 4 or 6?

I ask because on winter nights, it's cold and the night is long, I've done 2.5 to 4 hour exposures before so, I could see need for longer than 2 hours, especially using FOMA or even any ilford film, TMY-2 and Acros100 really are the only two that wouldn't need more than 2 but that gets expensive in 8x10.

So that's my input! Now what's the price point? Or did I miss that info?

jp
30-Aug-2014, 03:38
The phone access is cool, but I find it hard to read my screen when I'm outdoors.

hoffner
30-Aug-2014, 03:43
I am thinking about building an electronic timer cable release. It can be used a as one shot (LF selfie :-) ) or timed exposure. I am thinking something that can be velcro'ed on to the camera base or tripod leg and then actuate a cable release type of thing.

Fr the eventual question of "how much," if this ever becomes a commercial or KickStarter product, the cost should be fairly minimal. The parts should be well under $15, except for the injection molding. Those require $2000-$3000 startup cost :-/

Comments and suggestions?

Forum guidelines: "promotional" posts promoting your own business enterprise, or one to which you are financially connected (e.g. owner, employee, contractor), are not allowed.

richardman
30-Aug-2014, 03:59
There is no business to promote yet, but if the moderators do feel inclined to do so, go ahead and remove it.

richardman
30-Aug-2014, 04:02
Just on page 1 of Unified Views, I see posts on "Photobackpacker" and "Platinum Women" both are excellent posts that should be there, but both can be said to promote the original posters' business, so how come I get the special treatment?

Ken Lee
30-Aug-2014, 04:54
Forum guidelines: "promotional" posts promoting your own business enterprise, or one to which you are financially connected (e.g. owner, employee, contractor), are not allowed.

This forum supports and encourages development of products of interest to Large Format photographers.

The OP has not announced a new product, but is soliciting feedback and advice from forum members. That is another of the purposes of this forum.

If and when there's a product to announce, that too is welcome, in the appropriate location.

Struan Gray
30-Aug-2014, 06:43
I would love to have an modern autoknips. Even better would be if its functionality could be extended through an app and a wireless connection.

My only demand would be that it be weather sealed. Not fully waterproof, but able to cope with prolonged dampness.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Aug-2014, 07:07
Not a problem with B timed exposure. It will at worse draw more current, but let me think about this.

Maybe not a lot more current. I had a shutter that worked from a circular solenoid. After opening the shutter, the current required to remain open was significantly less.

Regardless, your device could have a T setting activated through the shutter's T setting or through B if you include a small mechanical latch to hold until reset by the device, drawing no motor current during exposure.

Atul Mohidekar
30-Aug-2014, 08:09
I would buy it for $40-$50 if it had the following features:
- Good accuracy in the lower range - 1 to 5 seconds.
- Finer duration settings in the lower range - 1.3, 1.5, 1.7, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ...
- Android or iPhone interface would be a plus, but full mechanical is fine.

I have tried using multiple Prontor timers, but the accuracy is in the lower range is horrible. There are no notches for different seconds or sub-seconds, so it is impossible to accurately and consistently set the exposure duration to any specific value (and for the lower durations, it matters).

Jim Noel
30-Aug-2014, 08:44
It would be of no interest to me. I have a small RC one which works well, and a Prontor which makes time exposures up to one minute.

StoneNYC
30-Aug-2014, 09:10
- Finer duration settings in the lower range - 1.3, 1.5, 1.7, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ...

I have tried using multiple Prontor timers, but the accuracy is in the lower range is horrible. There are no notches for different seconds or sub-seconds, so it is impossible to accurately and consistently set the exposure duration to any specific value (and for the lower durations, it matters).

Good point, 1-5 seconds are always hard to be accurate with, having that added and even 1.5 and 2.5 etc would make sense.

Although in a dream world I would also like it to be tiny and cost $40 in realistic to say in this small market I could see it easily being $70-$100. I don't want that, but if $40 discourages you from it, consider that others might pay slightly more.

And yes iPhone interface a MUST then I can activate it from the warmth of my car! :)

I also see this as an acceptable thread, I've seen many "product announcements" and never saw anyone complain, it would be like shooting ourselves in the foot to discourage product announcements.

Maybe there should be a product announcement / industry news sub-section? LF info on new and potential discontinuing products is always hard to find, why not help spread the knowledge on the forum? Maybe make it an OP only post with updates only every week so as to limit spam?

BrianShaw
30-Aug-2014, 09:26
Probably yes.

Paul Cunningham
30-Aug-2014, 09:42
Rather than injection moulding, perhaps CNC milling or 3D printing.

biedron
30-Aug-2014, 10:37

+1 (though I'd be willing to pay more if it did all of the above, and did it well)

brucep
30-Aug-2014, 10:58
Put me down for 1

Bruce

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
30-Aug-2014, 11:31
I often need exposures ranging up to 15 minutes, so would love to have something like that automated. Also not all shutters have a T mode, so having B and T would make sense.

richardman
30-Aug-2014, 12:55
Since it will use a microcontroller, accurate time to any amount of seconds or hours are no problem. It's really down to what we want and the complexity of the user interface.

As for current draw for B, the problem is the servo. One it pushes the plunger, the servo needs to maintain that position and that means the servo must be engaged, unless there is some other mechanical mechanism that it uses. The micro will need to continue to generate a pulse width modulation also, but micro takes very little current to run, comparing to the servo.

Since this is not a business proposal yet, it would definitely look like sufficient interest to proceed tinkering and prototyping. No promise on timing yet (see what I did there?) as I have a boatload of stuff on my plates, but looks like this will be interesting to some people.

Thank you for all the comments and I will for sure consider all the feature input etc. when I start the tinkering process. Please feel to add additional comments :-)

Jac@stafford.net
30-Aug-2014, 13:43
As for current draw for B, the problem is the servo. One it pushes the plunger, the servo needs to maintain that position and that means the servo must be engaged, unless there is some other mechanical mechanism that it uses. The micro will need to continue to generate a pulse [...]

False.

You would do better with a solenoid rather than a servo.

Look into 'magnetic latching solenoids'. Once activated and in target position (shutter depressed), it draws no current and stays in place until an opposite polarity pulse is applied, and then it activates to withdraw. They have other advantages such as generating negligible heat, and gentler activation than some other push/pull/rotate models.[/QUOTE]

rbultman
30-Aug-2014, 15:56
I had a very similar idea recently. My day job is as an embedded system guy. I thought of using a Bluetooth LE module to control it with the thought that it might be a better energy tradeoff than using an LCD or other display on the device. Put the UI on the phone. It also makes it a remote for doing selfies. Worst case, you might need a button for pairing the phone and timer.

+1 on the magnetic latching solenoids.
+1 on a 3-D printed case.

richardman
30-Aug-2014, 22:14
Excellent, solenoids it is!

And I do know about 3-D printing. Certainly any prototype will be 3-D printed. If we ever go to "production," then we will see.

My dayjob is running an embedded tools (C Compilers) business. Actually, the more I think about it, the prototype will probably use a touch screen LCD. We used one of those for a Drink-bot controller demo just a few months ago. The board is way too powerful for production use, but we can slip in a cheapie Nucleo board from ST...

angusparker
30-Aug-2014, 23:23
I'd be interested in one. Thanks

richardman
30-Aug-2014, 23:26
It just occurs to me, while I am a computer person "by trade," I really appreciate going out to photograph with a backpack of 3 lens, 12 film holders and no electronic stuff except the phone (what? no one else checks their email in the middle of the desert? XD), and now... I am going to bring that tranquility ;-P

bobwysiwyg
31-Aug-2014, 03:37
I would be interested as well. I believe $40-$50 is an unrealistically low target price. I could be wrong. I would be willing to pay more for such functionality.

hoffner
31-Aug-2014, 04:34
Since this is not a business proposal yet, it would definitely look like sufficient interest to proceed tinkering and prototyping.
Please feel to add additional comments :-)

Dont worry, richardman:

This forum supports and encourages development of products of interest to Large Format photographers.

If and when there's a product to announce, that too is welcome, in the appropriate location.

Jacques-Mtl
31-Aug-2014, 05:56
I will also be interested in one.

vinny
31-Aug-2014, 06:46
so the Bob's want to pay more than $40-50. I'm still okay with it being $50.

StoneNYC
31-Aug-2014, 09:50
It just occurs to me, while I am a computer person "by trade," I really appreciate going out to photograph with a backpack of 3 lens, 12 film holders and no electronic stuff except the phone (what? no one else checks their email in the middle of the desert? XD), and now... I am going to bring that tranquility ;-P

I use my phone always for LF because it has the reciprocity timer app, it's really handy and keeps track of long exposure issues and also calculates for bellows extension, it's really essential for my work, I would have no clue otherwise on some of my really long (hour long) exposures. Many of the new to LF shooters are utilizing apps to help, I know it's probably making older folks grumble but it gets all the math and chance for error out of the way so you can focus on creating.

StoneNYC
31-Aug-2014, 09:54
so the Bob's want to pay more than $40-50. I'm still okay with it being $50.

I'm also a bob (technically) so I guess that's a true statement. But I wouldn't want it to be more than $100 I think it would limit order numbers and there wouldn't be enough.

Also, if you are making it for the standard cable release trigger, then including some kind of cold shoe attachment might be good, it could open up the purchasing arena to MF and even 35mm shooters with older cameras who want to trigger their camera with their iPhone...

Light Guru
31-Aug-2014, 18:10
I use my phone always for LF because it has the reciprocity timer app, it's really handy and keeps track of long exposure issues and also calculates for bellows extension, it's really essential for my work, I would have no clue otherwise on some of my really long (hour long) exposures. Many of the new to LF shooters are utilizing apps to help, I know it's probably making older folks grumble but it gets all the math and chance for error out of the way so you can focus on creating.

I use the Reciprocity Timer app also and it is GREAT. I've used the "use voice to start" feature several times to have the apps timer start when it hears the shutter open. But it would be nice to have it be able to close the shutter at the end of the exposure.

If you could control a bluetooth cable release from an app that has all the features of the Reciprocity Timer app I would definitely buy it. In fact I bet if you came out with the hardware you could partner with the developer of the Reciprocity Timer on the software.

StoneNYC
31-Aug-2014, 18:35
I use the Reciprocity Timer app also and it is GREAT. I've used the "use voice to start" feature several times to have the apps timer start when it hears the shutter open. But it would be nice to have it be able to close the shutter at the end of the exposure.

If you could control a bluetooth cable release from an app that has all the features of the Reciprocity Timer app I would definitely buy it. In fact I bet if you came out with the hardware you could partner with the developer of the Reciprocity Timer on the software.

+1 to that!

AND the guy who invented the app is a forum member ;)

richardman
31-Aug-2014, 19:37
...including some kind of cold shoe attachment might be good...

Lets not worry about pricing too much right now... it's just an idea.

And this is a great suggestion. Even some LF cams have cold shoes!

gmfotografie
31-Aug-2014, 23:56
would be great to snyc. those apps ( with reciprocity...)
maybe there will be also an option measuring the vibrance. if the value goes under a given point, the shutter starts :-)

(when i use an app which measures the vibrance i always notice that holding the shutter release is a essential key for making sharp photos... exception of the tripod, wind and so on....)

this is a great idea!

richardman
1-Sep-2014, 00:33
maybe there will be also an option measuring the vibrance. if the value goes under a given point, the shutter starts :-)

(when i use an app which measures the vibrance i always notice that holding the shutter release is a essential key for making sharp photos... exception of the tripod, wind and so on....)

this is a great idea!

Oh my goodness. Now THAT is a killer application! Instead of a set start of 2 seconds or 15 seconds, also have the start when the damn thing STOPS moving. Yes, I will add that feature. Need to research the right sensor....

THANK YOU,

gmfotografie
1-Sep-2014, 07:39
((donīt want to interrupt this thread but "setmycamera" has such a feature.. i use it because some of my first images where unsharp! so i put always my iphone on the camera turning on the vibrance of setmycamera. when the vibrance is under 1/15 i fire the thing :-)
))

Liquid Artist
1-Sep-2014, 08:12
I'd buy one at a reasonable price, however I have more than 1 camera system so I'd rather have a package price with 2 or 3 at once.

Plus I'd love to see an option to sync flashes at the same time. Even fire 2 or more cameras at once.

StoneNYC
1-Sep-2014, 10:30
I'd buy one at a reasonable price, however I have more than 1 camera system so I'd rather have a package price with 2 or 3 at once.

Plus I'd love to see an option to sync flashes at the same time. Even fire 2 or more cameras at once.

Oh!!! Large format stop motion or matrix style images all surrounding a moving subject ;)

richardman
1-Sep-2014, 13:23

Sounds like "version two" type of features, but I do like the idea of Matrix, LF style, ha ha. With Grafmatics, we can take 6 "high speed" Matrix style images at a time, ha ha.

vinny
10-Sep-2014, 09:55
I can't wait to make selfies on sheet film, oh my! I'm giddy.

StoneNYC
10-Sep-2014, 22:19

Then we can scan it and upload it to Instagram! Whoot! LOL

cyrus
10-Sep-2014, 22:47
YES! I recommended building one of these instead to a fellow who makes shutter timers. He seemed interested but I haven't heard back from him. I'm definitely interested. Not just timed-release but wireless remote shutter release too... But phones and stuff will only add complications to me, I'd prefer it as mechanical as possible

StoneNYC
11-Sep-2014, 05:22
YES! I recommended building one of these instead to a fellow who makes shutter timers. He seemed interested but I haven't heard back from him. I'm definitely interested. Not just timed-release but wireless remote shutter release too... But phones and stuff will only add complications to me, I'd prefer it as mechanical as possible

I think the idea is to make it mostly electronic, this would keep the cost down. A fully mechanical one would be a lot more engineering and costs a lot more in today's world for parts and design.

jp
11-Sep-2014, 06:21

Yes, we can shoot a selfie on a precious sheet of discontinued instant film, photograph it with the smartphone, and upload!

cyrus
11-Sep-2014, 10:50
But dealing with different phones and different apps etc. I still can't get some apps to run on my Windows phone.

Tin Can
11-Sep-2014, 11:06
Why didn't I think of that?

Yes, we can shoot a selfie on a precious sheet of discontinued instant film, photograph it with the smartphone, and upload!

richardman
11-Sep-2014, 13:16
This gadget will be mostly electronic, but I will make sure whatever form of user interface I end up designing, it will not be only phone dependent or overly complicated...

StoneNYC
12-Sep-2014, 09:34
But dealing with different phones and different apps etc. I still can't get some apps to run on my Windows phone.

Your first problem is using a WINDOWS phone... *facepalm*

cyrus
12-Sep-2014, 09:51
Your first problem is using a WINDOWS phone... *facepalm*

41 megapixels

jp
12-Sep-2014, 11:03
41 megapixels

You're choosing between camera and apps. Windows is still a last choice for a smartphone.

cyrus
12-Sep-2014, 12:44
You're choosing between camera and apps. Windows is still a last choice for a smartphone.

And this is why I'd prefer as mechanical as possible thingies

StoneNYC
12-Sep-2014, 15:33
And this is why I'd prefer as mechanical as possible thingies

Except the 41megapixel camera which is far from mechanical... LOL

BTW I would bet my 8mp iPhone camera is better than the 41mp camera, MP don't mean anything anymore, it's all about the sensor itself not the number of MP which are often exaggerated or "interpolations" of much smaller MP numbers.

So yea, back to the shutter, so glad it will come with an iPhone controller app :)

polyglot
12-Sep-2014, 17:40
Would I buy one? Well, I built one (servo and attiny85) and I'll be seriously impressed if you can retail it for under $50 in small quantities due to the tooling cost on injection molds. Or you can 3D print, but that has a high per-unit cost and low production rate. If you could sell them for $50 and it met even half of the features below, I'd buy one in a flash.

To me, phone integration is not a feature; it's an anti-feature if included at expense of a physical interface. What I would want is:
- buttons or a rotary controller to change settings
- trigger via button press, or via flash radio-remote (PC-sync input port)
- programmable delay, say 0, 10s or 30s
- B or T mode (single or double press)
- exposures from 1s to about 4 hours in 1/2 stop increments
- probably a little LCD to show the current settings, exposure shown in log (stops) and linear (seconds) scale
- countdown on display for long exposures