PDA

View Full Version : Can you add a locator pin to a tripod?

Michael Graves
28-Aug-2014, 13:01
One of my cameras has a setup very similar to that of a video camera, in that it has a 1/4" thread for the tripod screw and a small hole for a locator pin. I have a Bogen 3068 head I've been using, but the only plate i can find for it doesn't have a locator pin. I would like the extra stability of adding a pin. Is there such a thing as an "addon" locator pin?

Dan Fromm
28-Aug-2014, 13:19
Michael, I think the 3068 is a tripod. Which head do you have and what shape is its QR plate?

John Koehrer
28-Aug-2014, 15:53
It shouldn't be a difficult DIY.
Careful measurement and a drill press. Oh, a pin, brass or steel. Your choice.

Peter Gomena
28-Aug-2014, 23:23
I replaced a locator pin on one of my Gitzos once upon a time. I found a machine screw that would screw in with a little effort and then cut the head off at the appropriate height. It's still there 30 years later.

Daniel Stone
29-Aug-2014, 00:14
If you have the capability of doing such, I'd drill and tap, then use a set screw. Drilling/tapping an appropriately sized threaded "mating" hole in the bottom of the tripod head will help too. This is an easily removed(if needed) option, albeit with a bit more work upfront.

Jerry Bodine
29-Aug-2014, 23:22
Another option is to install what is sometimes called a "roll pin." It's basically a tube with a narrow slit down its full length, so that the cross-section is a C-shape with just a narrow opening. They are made in various lengths. To install you simply drill a smooth hole to whatever depth you wish, then tap the pin into the hole with a hammer. It's held in the hole only by a lot of friction due what's known as an interference fit (hole ever so slightly smaller than the pin diameter), since the C-shape closes when hammered into the hole. The only disadvantage is that you'd have a devil of a time removing the pin if you ever wanted to - however, if you drill the hole all the way through the platform then you'd be able to use a punch the same diameter as the hole to drive the pin out of the hole from the bottom of the platform I'd bet you can find these pins at McMaster-Carr or Micro-Tools.

www.mcmaster.com

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/

Jerry Bodine
30-Aug-2014, 09:41
McMaster-Carr has them here (http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-spring-pins/=ti7vwd). The longer ones come in fewer pins per pkg, but they can be cut to needed length and you'd have plenty of spares for less than $1.00 each. The stainless steel ones would probably be better corrosion-wise.

HMG
30-Aug-2014, 10:19
Almost any decent hardware store (you know, the one's with all the tiny shelves with various hardware) should have a small enough roll pin to suit. And you can buy just one.

Jerry Bodine
30-Aug-2014, 11:10
Almost any decent hardware store (you know, the one's with all the tiny shelves with various hardware) should have a small enough roll pin to suit. And you can buy just one.

That may be true, but a quick search in my neighborhood didn't turn up much. H.Depot and Lowes only offer small packets of several sizes. However, I did find individual pins available here (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=roll+pin), but usually only one or two lengths for each pin diameter. Can likely find one that'll work OK.