PDA

View Full Version : Banner Peak and Thousand Island Lake

Bill_1856
27-Aug-2014, 15:23
Do you have any technical information on this image -- Plate #7 in Ansel Adams' Sierra Nevada? Shot with "normal" focal length?

Drew Wiley
27-Aug-2014, 16:19
If it's the early "Parmelian print" version that was maybe half plate, the angle of perspective was only slightly long, so perhaps 12 inch or so, roughly equivalent
to what a 210 would give you on 4x5. It doesn't take all that much to make Banner Peak look big from that angle. It rises almost four thousand feet higher than the
lake right on the other side of it, though this is a relatively large lake by Sierra standards. Given modern gear, for the same perspective I would (and have) used a
210 with 4x5 film, or 450 on 8x10.

David Lindquist
24-Nov-2014, 17:48
Do you have any technical information on this image -- Plate #7 in Ansel Adams' Sierra Nevada? Shot with "normal" focal length?

When I saw this thread back in August I thought that somewhere I had some information on this but didn't know where. Yesterday I was leafing through my copy of Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada , Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, 1948, photographs by Ansel Adams and selections from the works of John Muir, Charlotte E. Mauk, ed. This photograph is plate 60. Quoting the technical notes: " 6 1/2" X 8 1/2" plate camera, 9" Goerz Dagor lens, Wratten Panchromatic Plate, K2 filter, Negative developed in Pyro". With this further comment: "This is one of my early Sierra photographs (1927). The delicate gradations in the sunset clouds were retained by the Pyro developer".
David

Bill_1856
24-Nov-2014, 18:44
Thanks, David. (What a memory you've got!)

David Lindquist
24-Nov-2014, 19:57
Thanks, David. (What a memory you've got!)

Ah, would that it were equally acute in all cases.
David