PDA

View Full Version : studio wet plate camera info needed

RTucker
26-Aug-2014, 15:02
I have a friend that is trying to sell two large studio cameras, and asked me for help. These are a little older than I have knowledge about regarding price etc. The first camera is what I believe to be a wet plate studio camera and it is in pretty nice condition for its age. It says American Optical Co. Scoville Manufacturing. It sits on a Century stand, "wooden table style stand on wheels", made in New York (Rochester). It seems to be a full plate camera, with all its original knobs and brass parts. It has a wet plate style hinged back, but is missing the ground glass. The bellows has some pinholes, cracks, but is still flexible. The brass lens markings are hard to read, but I can make out Lancaster of Birmingham UK.
The second camera is larger and says Eastman Kodak 8A Century Studio, a little rougher shape but complete. It has a sliding carriage on it, with an 8x10 spring back. The camera is large enough that it could handle an 11x14 to 16x20 size back. The bellows are not useable. It sits on a table style stand that says 2A Semi Centennial. There is no lens on this camera.
So I am wondering if anyone is interested in owning or using cameras like this, and what type of value do these cameras have.

Brassai
26-Aug-2014, 15:14
If it's a "Century" stand, that means it was made by the Century Camera Company. They named it that because they started in 1900. Doubtful either is a wet plate camera since that went out of fashin during the 1880s. They mostly used dry plate at that time for these kinds of cameras, and some film. Bellows can be replaced. There is a market for these but a lot depends on condition. Shipping on the larger camera would be significant.

RTucker
26-Aug-2014, 15:39
The back I thought the back was a wet plate, since it seems to be hinged on the long dimension of the frame, nothing like a spring back. Condition wise, the wood looks in great user or would be a great restoration condition.

jnantz
26-Aug-2014, 18:46
if it is a semi centenial stand ...
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?104947-Ansco-Semi-Centennial-stand-capacity
there is info i posted about the camera stand in that thread ...It is probably the rolls royce of camera stands

have fun
john