PDA

View Full Version : Digital proofing in studio?

cyrus
26-Aug-2014, 14:12
With the demise of Polariod, does anyone here use digital cameras for proofing in studio? This may sound stu[id but I really hate digital. Can I use my Canon G16 for that purpose, with a set of Bowens monolights? My studio camera is my Century 10A and it was hard enough finding a bi-post cable. I guess it requires a Pocket Wizard but I'm pretty sure I can't attach a pocket wizard to an old lens so I have to use a synch cable which would require some sort of adaptor? Any hits, tips appreciated :confused:

Tin Can
26-Aug-2014, 14:27
I mostly shoot people in studio. Now I get them ready and find my groove with digital. I check lighting and composition. I also have a quick take home file for the sitter, as usually they don't understand film. I use similar effective length lenses and then the sitter is ready for my real shot, with film. I have rigged sync switches to my Packards or use modern shutters with sync to fire my remote flash.

I have calibrated my exposures empirically so I don't need to figure bellows and filter factor.

It's a system I am just getting perfected.

cyrus
26-Aug-2014, 15:22
I

I have calibrated my exposures empirically so I don't need to figure bellows and filter factor.

It's a system I am just getting perfected.

This is what concerns me -- I have a shoot coming up and I haven't the faintest clue how to mix digital into my work flow now. I usually use a mannequin to do test shots but I thought that at least in theory it would be cheaper to go digital for proofing but I'm lost about the practicalities. I don't have the necessary digital gear, no lenses, no pocket wizard, etc. just my Canon powershot.

Ralph Barker
26-Aug-2014, 16:05
I think a lot depends on how one defines "proofing". If the objective is to simply get a general idea of whether the lighting arrangement (placement, ratios, etc.) is working OK, then just about any digital might work, as long as you can sync it. If one has higher expectations of the "proof", then things get more complicated.

cyrus
26-Aug-2014, 16:59
Thanks Ralph -- I'll settle for a general idea for now.

jp
26-Aug-2014, 18:23
A digital where you can match ISOs to your film and have flash sync is good. I don't know my way a round a g16, but it has potential. This means mostly an SLR or equivalent. You can get a used $200 dslr and 50mm lens and 10$ hot shoe adaptor. A pocket wizard will work with anything but I've survived most of my life without them. you can put a 1/8" jack on your lensboard hooked to a packard shutter if you want to be simple. If it's not my daughters I usually use a DSLR to warm/loosen up the subjects while I test lighting. I just test the lighting with a DSLR for them.

Tin Can
26-Aug-2014, 19:11
If you use a short digi zoom lens, you can dial in most LF lenses exactly to image size.

Yes, ISO matching is possible, you need to know your LF effective aperture which I then sometimes adjust from 100 ISO digicam to 400 ISO film, which gives me the 2 stops I need for bellows factor and filter factor. Think about that.

cyrus
26-Aug-2014, 20:58
If you use a short digi zoom lens, you can dial in most LF lenses exactly to image size.

Yes, ISO matching is possible, you need to know your LF effective aperture which I then sometimes adjust from 100 ISO digicam to 400 ISO film, which gives me the 2 stops I need for bellows factor and filter factor. Think about that.

*&%^*&@$ math! Ok so let see, 1/100th of a second on digital camera set to iso 400 but I always set it on film to ISO 200 and then bellows factor ...

Heck I think I'll just go back to using ol' Betsy the Mannequin and shoot a few sheets of 8x10

Tin Can
26-Aug-2014, 21:22
I call my mannequin Plastica, she is very busy. I find shooting her, saves time when real people show up.

I had a guy tell me, why not use real people? We all know why, but non-photographers don't.

Excuse me, but I bought the wrong size shoes for Plastica and I need to figure out lady shoes sizes.

As Roseanne Roseannadanna wisely said, 'It's always something!' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseanne_Roseannadanna)

cyrus
27-Aug-2014, 05:00
We should start a thread introducing our plastic friends.

Peter De Smidt
27-Aug-2014, 14:08
You can connect a pocket wizard to a lens with bi-post sync. http://www.paramountcords.com/products.asp?cat=18