PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Vageeswari 5x7 camera

dimento
23-Aug-2014, 04:58
Just a quick question, I asked the seller of this camera, but didn't get a definitive answer, can the cameras as pictured accept standard 5x7 film holders or is it plates only?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vageeswari-5x7-Wooden-Field-Camera-With-Plate-Holder-Black-Finish-/301257808716?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item46245d5b4c

many thanks

D

Tim Meisburger
23-Aug-2014, 05:21
No. The plate holder only. Could be good for wet plate, but would need another back for standard holders.

Andrew Plume
23-Aug-2014, 05:21
D

if the width is sufficient, you could tape modern style 5 x 7 holders into place but you'll have to ask him for details of the width

another alternative would be to use the existing holder with half plate inserts to load film into

fwiw, I've found that although this type of Camera seems attractive at whatever fairly lowish price, there are often difficulties with the holders

good luck and regards

andrew

dimento
23-Aug-2014, 05:36
thanks guys Caveat Emptor.... it's as I thought

analoguey
23-Aug-2014, 10:17
Where does he get these cameras from? India itself?

winterclock
23-Aug-2014, 15:32
Since he lives in India, that would be a good guess. I have dealt with him and am quite satisfied with the Ronar I bought from him.

Tim Meisburger
23-Aug-2014, 17:13
These kind of cameras can be a good deal if you know what you want. If you want a dedicated wet plate camera, you are good to go. And if you are a little handy with tools, and have or can get a spring back of some sort, you can add capacity for film relatively easily.

But, the lens board is too small for many of the big lenses coveted by wet platers, and for film the movements are slightly less than those available on most more modern cameras.

So, if you know what you want and need, and this fits the bill, great! If you are looking for an economical shooter ready to go out of the box, probably not the best option, unless you want it for wet plate.

Michael Carter
23-Aug-2014, 19:08
The camera is made for Dry Plate photography.
http://thelightfarm.com

Liquid Artist
25-Aug-2014, 22:36
I was looking at them myself, and they are sure a beautiful camera. However the tiny lens board may be a future issue, and that one has a short bellows.
The more natural looking one has a longer bellows