PDA

View Full Version : Tripod recommendation

DEC3
22-Aug-2014, 10:29
I am just getting back into 4x5 and am looking for a new tripod. I currently have a Zone VI wooden tripod with Bogen head that is very good but heavy. I am hoping to get some recommendation for lighter weight tripods that will work with 4x5 that are not overly expensive. If it is not cost effective then I can just suck it up and carry the one I have. Thanks in advance.

vinny
22-Aug-2014, 10:39
not knowing what type of camera you have doesn't make it easy but doing a search comes up with plenty of threads related to new tripods:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?searchid=3354503

goamules
22-Aug-2014, 10:43
Definitely do a search, this is asked about twice a month.

DEC3
22-Aug-2014, 11:24
I tried but I guess my search skills are sub par. I will give it another try. No need to post any more responses saying do a search. Thanks.

Alan Gales
22-Aug-2014, 11:56
Pick one or two: inexpensive, light weight, very stable. If you find all three then let us all know. ;)

Ari
22-Aug-2014, 17:59
In previous threads on the same subject, people hem and haw, but it always comes down to:

Used Tiltall
Beater Gitzo Studex on eBay
New no-name Chinese tripod

Any of those will support most 4x5 systems to some degree, and at a low price (under $200).

And Alan is absolutely correct.

Pick one or two: inexpensive, light weight, very stable. If you find all three then let us all know. ;)

Deval
27-Aug-2014, 03:56
On the other end of the price scale, I highly recommend a gitzo mountaineer 2 with a induro bh1 head. Total supported weight is 39-40lbs. Gitzo has one the most solid reputation in the industry and the carbon fiber legs are sturdy and light. It can dismantle quickly to fit in a roller for travelling. Total weight of the combination is 4 lbs which is the perfect combination. Induro is designed by mamiya in the US. They keep their cost low by manufacturing in China. The head made of magnesium so the paint chips easily because there is no way to harden paint on magnesium but it is rock steady as a combination and can easily support a lot of weight

csxcnj
27-Aug-2014, 04:52
I have the Benro C2970F tripod and Benro B2 double acting ballhead. 3.5lb-tripod and 1lb-head for a light weight combo. The tripod is rated for 27lb load and the head for 44lbs. I use it for LF and digital with a Nikon D700 and up to a 400mm lens. Handles them with no problem so 4x5 doesnt even make them sweat. The price for the two is around $540 at B&H right now. The tripod comes with a nice carrying case with tools and spikes for the legs.

Benro has a simpler model, C2580F, that does not have the three way column for $10.00 less and a weight savings of .5 lb. You don't need a three way column for LF but if you shoot 35mm or MF it is handy.

They ain't Gitzo or RRS but have been doing me right for a couple of years now with no problems and a price for the two that is less that the price of one item from the big names.

John Kasaian
27-Aug-2014, 06:08
+1 on a used Tiltall for the money(under $100)

goamules
27-Aug-2014, 07:31
Important tip about Majestics. Or any with a large plate to mount on, and a short tripod screw - They don't work with Anniversary model Speed Graphics, which have little bumps on the bottom for feet. The screw on mine doesn't go up enough to catch the camera threads.