PDA

View Full Version : Photobackpacker is Retiring

Pages : [1] 2

Photobackpacker
20-Aug-2014, 14:17
After 10 years of business, Photobackpacker is retiring. This is a good news bad news announcement. The Good news is I am offering significant discounts to sell the remaining inventory. The Bad news? When it is gone, it is gone. I want to recognize the fantastic support of the LF Forum community as follows:

In addition to Free Worldwide Shipping:

I am offering a 25% discount off the total order on any order that contains a P3 Backpack. Use PBLFF in the coupon space.

If you have purchased any item from Photobackpacker in the past, use coupon code PBLFFPC and you will receive a 35% discount on any order containing a P3 backpack – provided I find your name in my customer database. Please do not use this code unless you have purchased products from me in the past.

This offer is good while supplies last.

My deepest thanks to the Large Format Forum community for the years of support!

Bruce
aka Photobackpacker :cool:

richardman
20-Aug-2014, 14:37
Bruce,

Just placed an order for more lens cases. Sorry to hear you retiring but hope you have more time to do photography! :-)

I have only purchased lens cases, and they give me so much more confidence than lens wraps. THANK YOU!

Jmarmck
20-Aug-2014, 16:47
Just ordered a complete setup.

biedron
20-Aug-2014, 16:50
Bruce,

Happy for your retirement but unhappy to see this wonderful product line disappear :(

Bob

richardman
20-Aug-2014, 18:33
Trying to order 4x5 holders too.

Preston
20-Aug-2014, 20:30
Just ordered a complete setup.

You'll really like it! I love my setup.

Bruce: Thanks so much for all that you have done. It's sad to see such great products disappear, but I want to wish you a great retirement and great light!

--P

David Karp
20-Aug-2014, 22:06
I just placed my order for a P3 and some accessories. Thanks for posting! I have been thinking about getting one of these since you introduced it. Finally got off the dime. :-)

Eric Biggerstaff
21-Aug-2014, 06:24
I would like to look at the P3 but cannot find any images on your site. Will it work with a 5X7 Deardorff system?

resummerfield
21-Aug-2014, 07:26
Good luck, Bruce, and Thanks!

Jmarmck
21-Aug-2014, 07:29
I would like to look at the P3 but cannot find any images on your site. Will it work with a 5X7 Deardorff system?
From the link in his signature, on the left is a "5x& format" selection. Everything else is explanatory. Click on the picture for a larger image. The only thing I missed first time around (other than the discount code) was the "add to basket".

Alan Curtis
21-Aug-2014, 08:03
Thanks Bruce
I just (10 min. ago) upgraded my P1 pack to the P3. This is by far the best packing system I've ever used. In addition it fits in the overhead bin on every airline I've used.
Sorry to see you retire. Great service. Happy retirement, I certainly enjoy mine.

Photobackpacker
21-Aug-2014, 08:30
The Free Worldwide Shipping applies only to those orders that include a P3 backpack. Sorry for the confusion - lots happening here. :)

Bruce

Eric Biggerstaff
21-Aug-2014, 09:20
Just ordered a complete system (Merry early Xmas to me!).

Looking forward to it and thanks (but hate to see you go).

By the way, if there are issues how long will someone be available to assist?

csxcnj
21-Aug-2014, 10:33
Bruce, boo for the LF world and hurray for you. I don't even own one but I just ordered a complete outfit for the 8x10 Chamonix and three lenses. I love my 4x5 pack so even if I don't ever go 8x10 I'll have a back up pack to see me in to the twilight. The only problem I have with the current pack is that my waist belt size has gone from 38-42 to 34-38!

Happy shooting and thanks for the best damn camera pack in the world.

Photobackpacker
21-Aug-2014, 10:57
Thanks for all of the encouragement and orders. I have spent all morning entering orders - blizzard warning. :(

My usual same-day ship promise isn't going to happen. I have hours of sewing to keep up with the FHC shoulder strap orders and will spend the rest of today at the warehouse pulling stock. Nice problem to have but it will impact my turn-around time. Sorry.

Stock on backpacks is holding out. The LS-1150-4 cases are almost gone.

Please note the correction on free shipping - It is granted only on orders that include a P3 backpack. Free shipping on smaller orders (especially overseas) actually end up costing me money just to give away product. I would edit the initial post but that is not an option. Sorry for the confusion.

Bruce

Peter De Smidt
21-Aug-2014, 12:41
I just ordered a backpack and various accessories for my 4x5 kit. I've heard very good things about this system. I understand how busy Bruce must be, so there's no need for a huge rush to get my stuff out.

Bruce Pottorff
21-Aug-2014, 19:21
I have had a complete system for years. Best stuff I ever bought.

Thanks Bruce

neil poulsen
21-Aug-2014, 20:20
No particular rush for me, either. (For the Arca Swiss case and two 8x10 cascading holders.) How neat to have those holders for carefully conceived and executed 8x10 negatives.

You'll probably find yourself just as busy in retirement as you did while managing your business. Enjoy!

Dave Wooten
21-Aug-2014, 20:22
...ordered the 5 x 7 holders and the 8 x 10 holders:)

David Karp
21-Aug-2014, 21:57
With all the extra work, and heading for retirement, Bruce called me at home to make sure that I ordered the correct size. We had a nice conversation. Just great customer service. That is how you keep and maintain a great reputation. If only all businesses had this attitude.

munz6869
22-Aug-2014, 00:13
I ordered two 4x5 film holders and straps too, but no rush for me either Bruce, they are spares!!

Marc!

Regular Rod
22-Aug-2014, 02:12
Well 2 more 4x5 Cascades and 2 more 8x10 Cascades and I think they, along with my P3 and its cases, will see me out! I have never been so well organised in the field since changing over to Bruce's system. My word how Photobackpacker is going to be missed... :(

RR

BarryS
22-Aug-2014, 07:01
Good luck with your retirement. I finally ordered the 8x10 and 4x5 Cascade holders I've had my eye on. Did you try to sell the business? That seems like a win-win, if you could find someone.

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Aug-2014, 07:02
Bruce, it doesn't seem like it was that long ago that we met in Muir Woods. I had the 8x10 out and my MEI backpack on the ground. We spoke about a lot of things related to photography. Best of luck in retirement. I hope to follow you in a couple of years.

Photobackpacker
22-Aug-2014, 07:24
Hi Jim:
I remember it well. I have always Joked that the large-format community is so small, if someone in Ireland sneezes, someone in China says "bless you." The fact that you had heard of Photobackpacker when we met in the Muir Woods that day confirmed that. :-)

Photobackpacker
22-Aug-2014, 08:01
I would love to sell it but between the economy and the complexity of the product line, that is unlikely to happen.

Jmarmck
22-Aug-2014, 11:40
Sell it and become an advisor and glean some retirement cash from it.

jeroldharter
22-Aug-2014, 13:29
Congratulations Bruce. I enjoyed using your gear which is high quality and well thought out. Enjoy retirement.

Rayt
22-Aug-2014, 21:32
Congratulations on your retirement. I finally got around to order the P3 and camera case for my Ebony 5x7SUE along with a whole mess of film holder cases.

andreios
23-Aug-2014, 10:14
Well, I finally realized that the best investment I can make in my photography is to help me get the camera out more often an more far. Like good shoes...
Ordered full setup for my 8x10 Tachi a while ago.

Peter Lewin
23-Aug-2014, 11:36
Bruce, just wanted to take the opportunity to wish you a great retirement! While your P3 sounds wonderful, your older Kelty with backer board and various cases works so well for me that I cannot justify replacing it. But for those considering buying "something," I have to throw in a plug for your cascading film holders. I originally avoided buying one simply because I thought it would simply add more weight to my pack, and that my lighter ziplock bags worked well enough. But I eventually gave in, and think it is one of the best purchases I've made; it simply makes the photography so much easier, so if anyone is looking for just one photobackpacker item to add to their collection, consider the film holders!

Regular Rod
23-Aug-2014, 15:38
Bruce, just wanted to take the opportunity to wish you a great retirement! While your P3 sounds wonderful, your older Kelty with backer board and various cases works so well for me that I cannot justify replacing it. But for those considering buying "something," I have to throw in a plug for your cascading film holders. I originally avoided buying one simply because I thought it would simply add more weight to my pack, and that my lighter ziplock bags worked well enough. But I eventually gave in, and think it is one of the best purchases I've made; it simply makes the photography so much easier, so if anyone is looking for just one photobackpacker item to add to their collection, consider the film holders!

Here, here!

+1

RR

Ginette
23-Aug-2014, 22:27
Mr Laughton,

Thanks you so much for theses beautiful designed products.
The cameras and lens cases fit nicely in the backpack but also very versatile to fit any other cases. Same for the cascade film holders.
We willl miss your expertise and great service.
Good retirement, you will have more time to do large format photography ;)

ndavid813
24-Aug-2014, 02:37
Couldn't pass this up. I love my P2 - even use it for my primary backpack when not out shooting.

This is a great product!

Tim Povlick
24-Aug-2014, 20:15
Good Luck in your retirement Bruce.

The BP system is well thought out and versatile. Was able to pack MF and LF gear with same BP and slight change in the innards. The film holders (4x5 / 8x10) are terrific.

Best Regards,
Tim

Fred L
25-Aug-2014, 15:26
Same here. Kept meaning to order the Cascade film hold cases and guess if I didn't buy them now, then I'd be kicking myself for not jumping in. Also got the P3 which should just fit my Korona 7x17 (I hope).

I hope you keep making your products as time and demand allows Bruce, something to keep you busy in the winter when it's too cold to shoot lol

Peter De Smidt
25-Aug-2014, 17:22
My backpack arrived today. The quality is excellent! I'll have to order some more lens cases soon.

Regular Rod
26-Aug-2014, 02:55
Surely someone out there would want to buy the business and keep it going? What a fantastic platform to build on. Imagine additional systems for the Leica user and so on. It's things like this that make me wish I was twenty years younger...
:eek:
RR

Larry Gebhardt
26-Aug-2014, 05:53
Bruce, I wish you the best in your retirement. I'm sorry to see the product line retiring along with you. I just ordered a backpack and some more film holder cases. This was all on my Christmas / Birthday list to purchase this fall. It will be nice to finally retire the awkward backpack I've been using for my 5x7 camera. I love the setup for the 4x5.

StoneNYC
26-Aug-2014, 06:04
I'm just trying to find the extra money for an 8x10 drop down bag (whatever they are called that hold the holders and expand with zippers).

csxcnj
26-Aug-2014, 15:29
I'm just trying to find the extra money for an 8x10 drop down bag (whatever they are called that hold the holders and expand with zippers).

Stone, go without coffee and beer/wine or whatever for a month and get these Cascade Film Holders. They are absolutely brilliant. The video of them in use doesnt do them justice, and it's a damn good video. They will add so much ease and enjoyment to your shoots. Get some 4x5 ones also.

Regular Rod
26-Aug-2014, 15:35
Stone, go without coffee and beer/wine or whatever for a month and get these Cascade Film Holders. They are absolutely brilliant. The video of them in use doesnt do them justice, and it's a damn good video. They will add so much ease and enjoyment to your shoots. Get some 4x5 ones also.

This is spot on advice. I've got a 4x5 and an 8x10 Cascade and as soon as I saw the announcement of Bruce's retirement I ordered 2 more of each. They are truly that good...

RR

StoneNYC
26-Aug-2014, 20:08

This is spot on advice. I've got a 4x5 and an 8x10 Cascade and as soon as I saw the announcement of Bruce's retirement I ordered 2 more of each. They are truly that good...

RR

I'll try... At least the 8x10, if I need that many 4x5's I just bring my grafmatics :)

Kodachrome25
26-Aug-2014, 23:40
I ordered two 4x5 cascades the day Bruce started this thread, they get here tomorrow!

andreios
27-Aug-2014, 00:44
You guys make me regret that I didn't add the film holder cases with the backpack... Will have to persuade the wife now to sew something similar for me. :)

csxcnj
27-Aug-2014, 04:21
Yehaa, just got my shipping notification that my new pack with LF goodies and DSLR (sacrilege!;)) insert arrives Friday. Just in time for a weekend trip to Harrisburg PA, where I'm shooting a friends restored Firebird SD-455 (whatever that means) and the Norfolk Southern Enola Yard and surrounding lines. No more lugging around a big Think Tank bag plus.

I was always limited to where I could park the car when using the D700 but now I'm a ramblin' man.

Kirk Gittings
27-Aug-2014, 09:35
I hope the supplies last awhile as there are a few small items I want (vs. need) but can't justify the purchases right now.

You have made superb products and run a first class business. Your products have been the backbone of my field kit for many years and (by the look of them after years of hard use) I think they will last me the rest of my working years.

Best of luck to you! You deserve a great retirement!

Alan Curtis
27-Aug-2014, 10:00
When Bruce first introduced the cascading holder, I thought interesting I'll try one. I now have two. They are great.

dodphotography
27-Aug-2014, 16:21
anything left for lens cases? I have two lenses, both in 6x6 boards
Nikon 150 SW
Nikon 300

anyone know if I should go individual cases or a large one with partition? Anyone with these lenses purchase in the past?

Roger Thoms
27-Aug-2014, 16:55
I hope the supplies last awhile as there are a few small items I want (vs. need) but can't justify the purchases right now.

You have made superb products and run a first class business. Your products have been the backbone of my field kit for many years and (by the look of them after years of hard use) I think they will last me the rest of my working years.

Best of luck to you! You deserve a great retirement!

Kirk, I wouldn't wait. I spoke with Bruce this morning and he said that things are flying out the door.

Roger

Kodachrome25
27-Aug-2014, 18:42
I just put in my final order, one more 4x5 cascade, two P3 pouches for the holders, a 4-lens 4x4 case and a camera case for my Chamonix. As much as I like to go super light with lenses in beanies, etc. there are times my wife or a friend carries things like a roll film back, lens, extra cut film holders and these items will make it a safer bet.

Thanks for giving APUG and LFF a heads up Bruce, you should be aptly rewarded for that considerate offering.

Jmarmck
27-Aug-2014, 20:42
I received my order today. I have to say that I am impressed with the quality and the comfort fit. I loaded all the LF gear, Field camera, 5 lens, tripod, and 4x5 cascade (may order another). Put the rig on and adjusted the straps. It was very comfortable with the weight distributed nicely.

Thank you very much Bruce.

StoneNYC
27-Aug-2014, 21:06
Wish I could for the entire system right now but it's not in the cards, I did just get two of the 8 x 10 Cascades however because they're fantastic and I certainly know that I wouldn't be able to find them anywhere else, got to thank Dan for encouraging me and reminding me that I better get them now while they still are in stock.

StoneNYC
27-Aug-2014, 21:07
Are you SURE you won't let someone take over the business??

Kodachrome25
27-Aug-2014, 23:21
I just put in my final order, one more 4x5 cascade, two P3 pouches for the holders, a 4-lens 4x4 case and a camera case for my Chamonix.

I love it when my personal "Cap't Obvious" floats in and speaks hours after the fact, I just changed my order to a proper P3 kit, Woot!

Now then, how are folks employing the use of Camelbak bladders on these things?

csxcnj
28-Aug-2014, 03:33
I love it when my personal "Cap't Obvious" floats in and speaks hours after the fact, I just changed my order to a proper P3 kit, Woot!

With all the hiking and high terrain shooting you do you are going to be very happy with the P3 kit. You owe your "Capt. Obvious" much thanks and a nice present or two.

There is no slot for a Camel Back, I just load a couple of tall water bottles in the side pockets. They fit awkwardly with the side pouches on but it works.

Regular Rod
28-Aug-2014, 03:49

Stick one in one of the auxiliary side pockets...

RR

Arne Croell
28-Aug-2014, 16:08
Just got my P3 with a few accessories. I had used Bruce's ingenious system since a few years already, in an older REI "Evening Star" backpack, and was quite happy with that setup. But now I am even happier, the weight difference between the empty P3 and the empty Evening Star seems to be at least 2 lbs, and the P3 fits great. Thanks, Bruce!

Greg Y
28-Aug-2014, 17:43
Slid in just in time to get a camera case for my venerable '38 Deardorff 5x7. Shipping notification already. Thanks for the heads up.

Kodachrome25
28-Aug-2014, 21:50
Bruce is rocking towards retirement, my P3 order shipped and I got my 4x5 cascades today!

The cascades feel less than 10oz. in your hand, nicely made, I like them. I forgot that the clip points for a strap will not be sewn on unless you order the strap so thankfully I have a big box of all kinds of stuff, had stand-in straps on in minutes...

Loaded up and color coded, ready to go early am tomorrow...

David Karp
28-Aug-2014, 22:07
I received my P3 with some lens cases and side pouches today. I loaded up the pack, adjusted it, and put it on. All I have to say is why did I wait so long? Bruce said it would be like someone was helping you carry your stuff and he was not kidding! The delivery was right on time, and Bruce's customer service was just fantastic. Very impressive.

Thanks very much.

StoneNYC
29-Aug-2014, 03:41
Bruce is rocking towards retirement, my P3 order shipped and I got my 4x5 cascades today!

The cascades feel less than 10oz. in your hand, nicely made, I like them. I forgot that the clip points for a strap will not be sewn on unless you order the strap so thankfully I have a big box of all kinds of stuff, had stand-in straps on in minutes...

Loaded up and color coded, ready to go early am tomorrow...

Wait the cascade clips won't come without a separate strap ordered? :( does the loop that's used to hook into say a tripod still come with it?

Regular Rod
29-Aug-2014, 04:04
Yes the handle loops are standard. These you use to hook onto tripod, nearby tree etc... They are exactly as shown on Bruce's video.

;)
RR

StoneNYC
29-Aug-2014, 05:05
Yes the handle loops are standard. These you use to hook onto tripod, nearby tree etc... They are exactly as shown on Bruce's video.

;)
RR

Oh good! Thanks!

Photobackpacker
29-Aug-2014, 07:15
Regarding the shoulder straps:
Roughly 1 in 5 Cascade film holder case users want a shoulder strap. Early on when I got this request I was sewing snap clip loop points to the FHCase before shipment. I then began to get requests from people who already owned the film holder cases and I needed to come up with a way to add the shoulder strap points to the cases without requiring a sewing project. I devised the current approach that uses Velcro material to attach the snap-clip loops. This approach has the added benefit of allowing you to detach those loop points when you do not want to use the shoulder strap.

The tripod loops are standard on both the inside and outside of the case and no modification is required.

All the best,

Bruce

Dave Wooten
29-Aug-2014, 12:10
The 8 x 10 and 5 x 7 cascade just arrived! Now with the 4 x 5 I had, what more could a guy want?...hmmm...

Regular Rod
29-Aug-2014, 12:43
The 8 x 10 and 5 x 7 cascade just arrived! Now with the 4 x 5 I had, what more could a guy want?...hmmm...
2 more of each?
:D
RR

Photobackpacker
29-Aug-2014, 13:55
I am currently out of stock on components for the Cascade film holder case shoulder straps. The components have been ordered and should arrive mid-week next week. I will be able to ship those orders at that time. Sorry for the delay. The volume of orders has caught me a bit flat footed.

Bruce

csxcnj
29-Aug-2014, 15:36
I am currently out of stock on components...... Sorry for the delay. The volume of orders has caught me a bit flat footed.

Bruce

Yet you still answered your phone and took the time to go over details about ordering a backpack for my wife this afternoon. :)

If anyone is on the fence about one of these packs just order it. The price for one at full retail was more than worth it, especially if you've experienced the other companies packs. With the discount it's a steal.

I just sized up my pack that arrived today ( thanks for the fast shipping Bruce) for my Alla Prima* pochade box and it and my painting gear fit perfectly. So another pack will be on order soon just for that.

So one for LF, one for DSLR/MF, one for plein air painting and one for the wife. She photographs and draws. The DSLR insert is brilliant by the way. If you shoot digital at least order the insert and you can change the pack from LF to DSLR use easily.

*As folks who appreciate fine tools for making photos or "art", check out this guys product. They don't take pictures but they help you make them. alla-prima-pochade.myshopify.com/

Hugo Zhang
29-Aug-2014, 20:32
I can't measure my torso length. I am about 5' 8-9". Anybody here about my height knows his torso length? I am thinking about getting a P3.

Kodachrome25
29-Aug-2014, 20:37
2 more of each?
RR

LOL....this started out last week as an order for two 4x5 cascades.

After using them for a little over a day, my order now stands at 4 cascades, two P3 pouches, 8 lens cases, one 4x5 camera case and a P3 pack....

I seem to be needing to grow a third leg so I can jump in with three feet....;)

Jmarmck
29-Aug-2014, 20:56
I am with ya. Camera case, 4x4 case, two 4" cases, two P3 pouches, P3 pack, one 4x5 cascade and I need to order another......and I just found 19 more holders.....

Roger Thoms
29-Aug-2014, 21:06
I can't measure my torso length. I am about 5' 8-9". Anybody here about my height knows his torso length? I am thinking about getting a P3.

Hugo, I'd call or email Bruce, I'm sure he came figure out what size you need. I dealt with Bruce both by email and by phone and he has always been very helpful.

Roger

csxcnj
29-Aug-2014, 21:36
Hugo, I'd call or email Bruce, I'm sure he came figure out what size you need. I dealt with Bruce both by email and by phone and he has always been very helpful.

Roger

Yup, Bruce can talk you through it. On the backpack page there are instructions for measuring your torso length. It is the from the knob at the base of your neck to the top of your hip bone if I'm remembering correctly. And the backpack is adjustable if it doesn't seem to ride correctly, like after you age about ten years and shrink a little :o

StoneNYC
29-Aug-2014, 22:12
I can't tell from what I've seen and maybe it's just not being good at research but does any camping gear fit into the backpack that's for the 8x10? Or is this more like a daypack system?

Kodachrome25
29-Aug-2014, 22:46
I can't tell from what I've seen and maybe it's just not being good at research but does any camping gear fit into the backpack that's for the 8x10? Or is this more like a daypack system?

The pack is the same size for all systems, DSLR, medium format, LF etc. What makes it have room for other gear or not is how much componentry you load into it before food, jackets, etc. The CU of the P3 is around 3,600 so depending on how you pack both your camera gear and your overnight gear, you might be able to solo it with a bivy sack, pad and super light down bag, but more than likely you would need to share some gear with a hiking partner.

But where this all comes together.......in a much more comprehensive system is using a custom backer board (https://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=31a1d011a901d62770448fe47c6c135f&Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RPT&Category_Code=RPT03) which I am probably going to have two of made, one for my wife's overnight pack and one for my medium duty one. I am getting the top loader backer boards, that way I can layout camera gear in a more sensible manner and simply pull it out as a unit if need be. Another consideration, since the component cases velcro on many sides, you can join them together and reinforce it with some velcro on the bottom and simply lower it into your chosen pack. There are lots of things that can be done with this once you have some components.

I'm such an ass, back in 2012 I criticized this gear on this forum as being just like the rest when in reality, it could not be further from the truth. And I do *still* strongly advocate keeping one trick ponies at a minimum for deep back county, long haul work. But I bet between all the stuff I am getting from Bruce and my own innovations ongoing, this will turn out to be an utterly revolutionary way of working....no more reaching around the bottom of my 4,500 C.I. Osprey pack looking for a lens stuffed in a sock....

Photobackpacker
30-Aug-2014, 06:23

If you go to an REI store, they have devices to measure your torso length very accurately. It takes only a few minutes.

If I have an accurate height measurement and an accurate measurement of your inseam, I can make an educated guess. Height alone won't work since some people short torsos with long legs and visa versa.

Racer X 69
31-Aug-2014, 19:14
The only problem I have with the current pack is that my waist belt size has gone from 38-42 to 34-38!

We should all have this "problem"!

:rolleyes:

Hugo Zhang
31-Aug-2014, 19:38
Hi Bruce,

Just give me an educated guess. I am 5" 8-9'. I wear pants of 32x30" and jacket of 42".

Thanks.
Hugo

Photobackpacker
1-Sep-2014, 05:42
Hi Bruce,

Just give me an educated guess. I am 5" 8-9'. I wear pants of 32x30" and jacket of 42".

Thanks.
Hugo

I believe the short torso pack set to an 18 torso length will be the way to go.

Bruce

csxcnj
1-Sep-2014, 06:16
We should all have this "problem"!

:rolleyes:
Well, a year ago last July I was diagnosed with diabetes. One year later I'm 37 lbs. lighter and borderline pre-diabetic. If I keep up the same rate of progression by November my doctor figures a blood test would classify me as non-diabetic.

July 2013 BG: 300 fasting, 250 avg. A1c. 11
July 2014 BG: 115 fasting, 90 avg. A1c. 6. (5 - 5.5 is considered normal)

My secret formula is the balanced 12" food plate and walking one hour a day. Two 15 minute walks during the day and one half hour walk in the evening.

It feels good to eat right, have energy and see my toes whe I look down. ;)

andreios
1-Sep-2014, 08:36
My P3 reach the local customs office. There goes the discount.... :(

David Karp
1-Sep-2014, 09:25
Hey Bruce,

I have been playing around with my P3, cases, etc. I loaded it up with more than I usually carry, and then a little more. I can't believe how light it feels once it is on and all the straps are adjusted. You have one really happy customer here!

SergeiR
1-Sep-2014, 17:19
Bruce its sad to see you go :( Time to grab some more cases, while we have chance then..

Photobackpacker
1-Sep-2014, 17:39
Hey Bruce,

I have been playing around with my P3, cases, etc. I loaded it up with more than I usually carry, and then a little more. I can't believe how light it feels once it is on and all the straps are adjusted. You have one really happy customer here!

Glad to hear it, Dave. If there was a way to let every backpacking photographer experience what true carry efficiency feels like............

StoneNYC
1-Sep-2014, 18:07
Glad to hear it, Dave. If there was a way to let every backpacking photographer experience what true carry efficiency feels like............

There is!!! Sell the company and lease the patent rights! Then your legacy will continue and you'll have a nice trickle income and have to do no work to get it! :)

David Karp
1-Sep-2014, 20:08

I might have said this before, but you said that it would feel like someone was holding up my gear and taking some of the weight off of me and you were not kidding!

Peter Collins
1-Sep-2014, 20:26
Tonight I loaded up my P3 which arrived Friday. A much better carry than my Osprey Sojourner. The P3 is shy a couple of wheels, though! Overall, the P3 is a huge improvement in comfort.

StoneNYC
3-Sep-2014, 11:25
Received my 8x10 cascading holder today!!

Question for everyone, I normally store all my holders in plastic bags to prevent dust. Do you think it's necessary with these holders?

Kodachrome25
3-Sep-2014, 14:08

Question for everyone, I normally store all my holders in plastic bags to prevent dust. Do you think it's necessary with these holders?

I think so, I figure no matter what, the porous nature of fabric traps dust...

I use these anti-static bags (http://www.uline.com/BL_57/No-Print-Static-Shielding-Bags-Reclosable), they fit & hold up better than standard ziplocs. They come in packs of 100 so you are truly set up for awhile.

csxcnj
3-Sep-2014, 14:14

Stone, click on the video on this page to see Bruce in action with the Cascade. How he utilizes its features and uses it in the field.

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=c098abfed8f81ef216c5f98e049bcf3a&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RPT&Product_Code=FHC4x5&Category_Code=RPT05

He does use baggies.

StoneNYC
3-Sep-2014, 15:23
I think so, I figure no matter what, the porous nature of fabric traps dust...

I use these anti-static bags (http://www.uline.com/BL_57/No-Print-Static-Shielding-Bags-Reclosable), they fit & hold up better than standard ziplocs. They come in packs of 100 so you are truly set up for awhile.

Thanks, I now sell packaging for a living and get the industrial kind of bags, if you've ever bought an 8x10 holder from B&H that's the same size bag I have. I could probably get those kinds but these ones aren't really "staticky" at least not yet, I'll see how winter gets...

StoneNYC
3-Sep-2014, 15:24
Stone, click on the video on this page to see Bruce in action with the Cascade. How he utilizes its features and uses it in the field.

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=c098abfed8f81ef216c5f98e049bcf3a&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RPT&Product_Code=FHC4x5&Category_Code=RPT05

He does use baggies.

Thanks I've seen it, it's great! I'm really liking them! Now I want some 4x5's *sigh*....

Hugo Zhang
3-Sep-2014, 15:49
Bruce,

Thanks and just ordered mine.

Hugo

I believe the short torso pack set to an 18 torso length will be the way to go.

Bruce

Kirk Gittings
3-Sep-2014, 16:08
To keep the holders clean, I use the large commercial type saran wrap they sell at places like Costco for restaurants. A roll lasts me for years. It is cheap, fits any size stack of holders and fits like a glove. I wrap two together and use them in my Gnass cascade holder.

mdm
3-Sep-2014, 19:52
Thank you Bruce for the wonderful cascading film holder bags and lens cases. Have a happy retirement, I only wish I knew about you sooner.

Kodachrome25
3-Sep-2014, 23:04
Got my P3 today, still have some lens cases, another 4x5 cascade, smaller belt for Summer, custom backer boards and a bunch of odds and ends on the way.

I took it for about a 2 mile spin to a section of mountain stream I like, lots of rocks, got a late start though due to talent for an ad shoot running an hour late, oh well.

At 36L + the two side pouches it’s a big pack, a nice logical move up from my 10, 15 & 20 liter Lowe Pro packs. I put a total of 12 film holders in two cascades and the side pouches, those weigh about 3 pounds each. Until my other stuff arrives, I am using one 3 and one 4 lens partitioned lens case, really light. For kicks I put one of my Hasselblad 501CM's with a 100 Planar in the 3 lens case, fits nicely.

But for tonight, I ran with my Chamonix 45N2, 90mm F8 Nikkor, 135mm F5.6 Apo Sironar S, Nikkor 200 F8 M and 350mm F11 Apo-Tele-Xenar. For a tripod I am now using a Gitzo 1228 with an Acra-Tech GP head at 5 lbs total. So with 32oz of water, clothing, various sundries other goodies and the above, I was just shy of 28 pounds. I think in using this for the reason I got it for, half full of camera gear, half full of more important stuff, it is going to work great!

The load rode well, even scrambling over rocks and under tree branches the kit felt snug and secure, no sore spots on me whatsoever after a 3 hour outing. For day outings with this setup I suspect I will be between 25-35 pounds with LF gear, another 6-10 pounds less overall with a decent medium format setup. Anything smaller and lighter than that I will opt for one of my other packs for day tripping. But for overnight, this might just work with a 2 lens, 6 holder 4x5 kit and will certainly work overnight for a 2-3 lens and three back Hassy kit.

I really like some of the nice touches that are not really talked about such as the sunglass holder in the outer pocket, reflective material on the shoulder straps and 1” lashing points on the top and bottom of the pack. I put a 50oz Camelbak bladder in a small compression stuff sack and it attached nicely to the top of the pack via the lashing points. I will likely vary the hydration system as much as the gear it self depending on distance, duration and having fresh water sources to filter from.

Even though one can hardly garner how a system like this is going to stack up after just a two mile hike, so far so good. I’m going to try a 10 mile one tomorrow that tops out at 13,400 feet, that ought to really reveal the fit….

Thanks for everything Bruce, glad I got onboard while you have things in stock!

ndavid813
4-Sep-2014, 05:14
Got my P3 and assorted stuff today. Custom charges were about 8% to get it into Japan - so in the realm of sales tax really. Very happy with this transaction.

Fred L
4-Sep-2014, 05:22
Postie should be dropping off my P3 and Cascades today, I hope :)

Larry Gebhardt
4-Sep-2014, 08:14
My P3 arrived yesterday. I transferred the 5x7 kit over to it. It's much lighter than my old pack empty, and when fully loaded it feels so much more comfortable. Almost like my 4x5 kit (in an older kelty pack), despite probably 15# extra. It's a really comfortable pack.

uphereinmytree
4-Sep-2014, 18:39
I received a p3 kit today and i like the fit, but it sure doesn't seem like it will last for years and years. any one have one of these for a while? I'm thinking that the corners of my deardorff 5x7 will have the inside of its' camera case snagged and torn and the outer fabric of the pack seems like it will snag and tear on branches? the plastic clasp buckles seem somehow less strong than the ones on a few lowepro bags I have. maybe because they are brown? The tags that say made in china and vietnam are a bit of a turn off also.

The virtues previously mentioned are true. it is well organized and is lightweight and a nice fit. it holds quite alot of gear without the bulk of other packs

for the price, I hope it lasts for many years.

StoneNYC
4-Sep-2014, 19:21
I received a p3 kit today and i like the fit, but it sure doesn't seem like it will last for years and years. any one have one of these for a while? I'm thinking that the corners of my deardorff 5x7 will have the inside of its' camera case snagged and torn and the outer fabric of the pack seems like it will snag and tear on branches? the plastic clasp buckles seem somehow less strong than the ones on a few lowepro bags I have. maybe because they are brown? The tags that say made in china and vietnam are a bit of a turn off also.

The virtues previously mentioned are true. it is well organized and is lightweight and a nice fit. it holds quite alot of gear without the bulk of other packs

for the price, I hope it lasts for many years.

I think most people use the camera case and then place that in the pack? That way no snags?

As for the outside, many modern materials are much stronger than they appear?

My question is comfort, I use a mountain hardware brand pack that is a hybrid, it has a back frame and a hip belt on a pivoting hinge, they won all sorts of awards and it's the best pack for maneuvering I've ever worn (and I used to work at a camping store selling this stuff so I've worn a LOT of packs.

The pack isn't shaped to be used for an 8x10 but I hate to give it up if I don't have to... I think the internal stays or whatever keeps the back potion stiff as well as the hip belt and shoulder straps and lifts to pull it off your shoulder and overall taught and stability are more important to me then even the fabric tear strength.

uphereinmytree
4-Sep-2014, 19:32
the camera case inner material seems very flimsy. as I insert and remove the camera from the case, there is some interference from the inner fabric because it is not adhered to the wall of the case and which will eventually become torn. The case is a good fit to the camera and please keep in mind the case was not inexpensive.

I do hope the outer fabric is stronger than it seems. I'm too used to puffy solid walled backpacks.

Tim Povlick
4-Sep-2014, 19:48
A recently ordered P3 arrived. Bruce was very responsive about getting the fit right and updates about the order progress.

I have previous model P2 and a P3100 from PB. The new design uses the best of it's predecessors and the results are an excellent pack. The oldest PB I have is at least 7 years and still in like new condition. A Canham 8x10 traditional was used in the P3100 and has moved to the P3. With fitted camera case it fits nice & safe in the pack. Two very heavy lenses round out the kit. With 30#'s on board the pack rides just right and feels very comfortable. I can tell this pack is going to be comfortable over long hikes. The older packs were comfy but this one is even more so.
The suspension is more 'airy' then previous packs so one should remain a bit cooler. Good stuff....

Tim

Regular Rod
5-Sep-2014, 03:02
My P3 is a year old. It carries my Shen Hao 8x10, a Cascade of 3 holders, 4 lenses, dark cloth, Spotmeter V, various filters and hoods, cable release and note book with pencil (another pencil is in the Cascade). My photographs are mainly made in rivers and their surroundings in the Peak District in Derbyshire. If travel was being done on trails then I'd attach the tripod to the P3 as well, but getting close is usually necessary, which involves creeping about on twisty little paths and clambering down and up river banks with no paths at all. In such circumstances the tripod is in my hand so I don't snag it on Hawthorn, Briar, Alder, Willow, Ash and other trees. The pack is slim and so I can mostly keep it on whilst I wriggle through narrow spaces. Naturally it has been scratched at by the surrounding vegetation but the fabric in my example has remained intact. I don't wriggle by barbed wire whilst wearing the P3. For such exigencies I take the pack off and carefully weave it and myself by the offending obstacle! I've just pulled it off the shelf to check it over and so far so good. No damage at all. Anything can get damaged, we've all, no doubt, had accidents with our clothing and gear but I'm pretty sure the usual due diligence we all exercise as photographers should keep a P3 going for years to come.

RR

andreios
5-Sep-2014, 05:00
Mine still in the customs.. :( But I have a question -I have mainly bought it for my 8x10 tachihara but I was wondering whether anyone has tried to pack a monrail like a sinar norma into a photobackpacker's pack? How?

Kodachrome25
5-Sep-2014, 05:18
Thanks Rod!

While I don't discount some of the concerns above ( upinmytree ), I know that someone who is coming from more robustly made photo packs might look at the ultra light aspect of this pack and balk at the thin walled material....and the lighter colored rip stop is indeed thin!

My only concern thus far, I am currently looking at a way to reinforce the tops of the P3 side pockets as I do think the very corners of the fabric on them could give if pulled on too many times...I have been at the hiking thing professionally for nearly 20 years, I just know what to look for. Other than that, I know how to treat lighter packs like this, weaving and bobbing past obstacles, simply taking care...

To keep it light, one can not expect it to be made by Carhartt or feel like army surplus, but I can see how to some a build this light might be at first a little alarming. I can sympathize with the others poster though, I too hope it lasts years and years...

Photobackpacker
5-Sep-2014, 05:39
the camera case inner material seems very flimsy. as I insert and remove the camera from the case, there is some interference from the inner fabric because it is not adhered to the wall of the case and which will eventually become torn. The case is a good fit to the camera and please keep in mind the case was not inexpensive.

I do hope the outer fabric is stronger than it seems. I'm too used to puffy solid walled backpacks.

Inside every camera case, there is a roll of snag defeater material designed to reinforce areas that are subjected to sharp corners etc. If you didn't receive his, let me know.

Since 2004 I have sold over 600 Backpacks made with the same fabric. I have received no complaints regarding the durability of the packs.

uphereinmytree
5-Sep-2014, 07:56
I just saw the snag defeater and i'm sure with some care, I can keep the pack in good shape. thanks

Kodachrome25
5-Sep-2014, 13:00
I had an ad shoot at 11,000 feet this morning, took a Hasselblad 501CM and D810 with various lenses for both in the P3. It worked great, rode great, I really do expect this system to be the central figure in getting gear to shoots and working with it quickly and efficiently. I now have all 8 of my lens cases and all 4 cascades and everything is totally up to snuff, I think the build and weight of all the cases are a perfect balance of protection and super lightweight.

I spent no less than an hour in my gear closet last night getting rid of 90's era packs and bags that have blown zippers, outdated heavy designs, etc. I think if one approaches the Photobackpacker gear as a system to centralize an approach to managing gear in the field and let it infiltrate into other light weight back county & photo-centric packs like the new Lowe Pro stuff, well the whole damn show just rocks!

Bruce has been platinum in helping me get things dialed, making custom backer boards, etc so again, a big thanks.

My wife owns a few pairs of shoes and a few bags, I on the other hand have a mind boggling array of ways to carry gear and that is what it takes to manage a host of digital and film formats over 12 bodies and 36 lenses. Bruce's system ties it all together unlike anything I have ever used.

csxcnj
5-Sep-2014, 14:05
I had an ad shoot at 11,000 feet this morning, took a Hasselblad 501CM and D810 with various lenses for both in the P3. It worked great, rode great, I really do expect this system to be the central figure in getting gear to shoots and working with it quickly and efficiently. I now have all 8 of my lens cases and all 4 cascades and everything is totally up to snuff, I think the build and weight of all the cases are a perfect balance of protection and super lightweight.

I spent no less than an hour in my gear closet last night getting rid of 90's era packs and bags that have blown zippers, outdated heavy designs, etc. I think if one approaches the Photobackpacker gear as a system to centralize an approach to managing gear in the field and let it infiltrate into other light weight back county & photo-centric packs like the new Lowe Pro stuff, well the whole damn show just rocks!

Bruce has been platinum in helping me get things dialed, making custom backer boards, etc so again, a big thanks.

My wife owns a few pairs of shoes and a few bags, I on the other hand have a mind boggling array of ways to carry gear and that is what it takes to manage a host of digital and film formats over 12 bodies and 36 lenses. Bruce's system ties it all together unlike anything I have ever used.

I was waiting for the results of your high altitude hike. I figured you'd be happy! My most grueling hikes will be the Appalachians/Catskills type mountains. They ain't the Rockies but they can put a hurting on you with a crap pack.

"I on the other hand have a mind boggling array of ways to carry gear and that is what it takes to manage a host of digital and film formats over 12 bodies and 36 lenses. Bruce's system ties it all together unlike anything I have ever used"

Amen. After getting my DSLR insert set up and giving it a shakedown I ordered a second insert which will be set up for medium format. The ease of just changing out the inserts for different pre-loaded and organized formats is going to be a treat. The LF pack will stay the LF pack.

Kodachrome25
5-Sep-2014, 14:39
I was waiting for the results of your high altitude hike. I figured you'd be happy! My most grueling hikes will be the Appalachians/Catskills type mountains. They ain't the Rockies but they can put a hurting on you with a crap pack.

"I on the other hand have a mind boggling array of ways to carry gear and that is what it takes to manage a host of digital and film formats over 12 bodies and 36 lenses. Bruce's system ties it all together unlike anything I have ever used"

Amen. After getting my DSLR insert set up and giving it a shakedown I ordered a second insert which will be set up for medium format. The ease of just changing out the inserts for different pre-loaded and organized formats is going to be a treat. The LF pack will stay the LF pack.

I held off on the 13K hike, might do it today or tomorrow, it snowed up there and I had a last minute ad shoot come up that has been weather dependent for weeks. As for the inserts, I thought about it but have other pack options for that but having a second of the same insert....that is a great idea, I just ordered one for another pack...my key pack up until this point. But this system....yeah, it has been a long time coming, decades actually....

Kodachrome25
5-Sep-2014, 21:01
Alrighty then, I'm convinced, this pack is awesome! I did a staple hike of mine, 5 mile round trip, 1,900 vertical to 13,400, packed in 29 pounds. It rode great on the ascent, but when it got dark and I trail ran about a mile at the higher elevations, I was at times laughing to my self at how stable the load was.

Wow Bruce...just wow....

Regular Rod
6-Sep-2014, 02:01
Alrighty then, I'm convinced, this pack is awesome! I did a staple hike of mine, 5 mile round trip, 1,900 vertical to 13,400, packed in 29 pounds. It rode great on the ascent, but when it got dark and I trail ran about a mile at the higher elevations, I was at times laughing to my self at how stable the load was.

Wow Bruce...just wow....

Remind me not to come on hikes with you! :D

Ye Gods and little fishes! I'd be dead after running a mile at any elevation, especially carrying anything at all let alone 28lbs of gear.

Being a less than fit person the P3 is even more important to me in making a trip out NOT a physical ordeal.

RR

StoneNYC
6-Sep-2014, 06:12
Remind me not to come on hikes with you! :D

Ye Gods and little fishes! I'd be dead after running a mile at any elevation, especially carrying anything at all let alone 28lbs of gear.

Being a less than fit person the P3 is even more important to me in making a trip out NOT a physical ordeal.

RR

So the 75lb pack I used to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back is probably too heavy then? LOL that's the kind of weight I wonder if this can hold and still be comfy. (Though I plan to try and cut it down to 60lbs to make it "ultralight" haha) wow I sound like Drew! Haha.

csxcnj
6-Sep-2014, 14:49
So the 75lb pack I used to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back is probably too heavy then? LOL that's the kind of weight I wonder if this can hold and still be comfy. (Though I plan to try and cut it down to 60lbs to make it "ultralight" haha) wow I sound like Drew! Haha.

60lbs. GOOD LORD. I just weighed my DSLR pack: 30lbs. 60 would break me now. It must be nice to be "young dumb and full of....vigor and knees that still work". Sigh!

Jmarmck
6-Sep-2014, 14:53
I don't weigh my gear. The less I know the better. :)

StoneNYC
6-Sep-2014, 15:27
60lbs. GOOD LORD. I just weighed my DSLR pack: 30lbs. 60 would break me now. It must be nice to be "young dumb and full of....vigor and knees that still work". Sigh!

In 2010 it was 75lbs(35mm SLR kit), in 2013 it was 60-ish lbs(120 Mamiya7 RF kit), I'm getting down but can only go so low for 8 days and not starve. The 8x10 stuff seems to be just a bit lighter than the 35mm stuff so that's good. I'm looking at these packs wish I had more time.

Eric Leppanen
9-Sep-2014, 18:21
I recently took delivery of a P3 backpack, a couple of camera cases, a helping of film holder cases with shoulder strap, and a DSLR partitioned enclosure. I ordered all this despite already owning two P2 packs, but the new suspension system intrigued me and the film holder cases and partitioned enclosure were not available when I originally ordered my Photobackpacker system over 6 years ago.

For those of you still on the fence as to whether to buy into this system, I would strongly suggest giving it another look while it remains available. Even if you don't backpack or do long hikes, the backpack and accessories are easy to lug around and do a wonderful job of keeping everything organized and accessible (and off the ground!) while shooting LF in the field.

I'm 6'4" and slender, and I really appreciated the extensive fitting options (chest size, torso length and waist size) that the P3 pack provides. I originally measured my torso length at 20 inches, but upon receiving the pack I realized that I needed the full 22 inches of torso height for a proper fit. Over the phone Bruce walked me through the steps required to reset the torso height (which actually was quite easy once I got the swing of it). The P3 is extremely light (mine with its integrated backerboard weighed just a smidge over 4 1/8 pounds). Even after adding a camera case and a few lens cases, we're talking about an empty pack weight of less than 6 pounds for a 4x5 kit, or just over 6 pounds for 8x10. In comparison my Lowepro Super Trekker AW II, my previous tried-and-true 8x10 carrier, weighs in at 11.5 pounds. The Lowepro features extensive protective padding throughout, but I've found the Photobackpacker cases to provide excellent camera and lens protection in the field. While I personally found the Lowepro to be reasonably comfortable, the P3 is far better balanced and the weight difference is immense.

My experience over the years has been that camera backpacks don't have the greatest suspension systems, while modern technical backpacks with top notch suspension systems are all top loaders. The backloading P3 seems unique in this regard.

The new film holder cases are also really slick, much better than the "a bunch of film holders stuffed in a sack" type cases I've been using up to now.

I bought the DSLR partitioned enclosure to "future proof" the pack (I don't even own a high-end DSLR kit yet).

Regrettably I haven't had a chance to take all this new technology on a hiking trip yet, but hope to do so over the next few months!

Dave Langendonk
14-Sep-2014, 11:17
I'm looking at the C12135 camera case. Anyone here use it for a Shen Hao FCL 810 8x10? The dimensions would suggest it would be a tight fit.

Regular Rod
14-Sep-2014, 16:56
I'm looking at the C12135 camera case. Anyone here use it for a Shen Hao FCL 810 8x10? The dimensions would suggest it would be a tight fit.

Bruce made me a custom enclosure for mine. It was not particularly expensive.

RR

Dave Tolcher
15-Sep-2014, 06:23
Hi Bruce, got my order today in the UK, many thanks. For anyone wondering whether the P3 is a substantial upgrade from previous versions - I have a P1 here and the harness system and weight carrying is in a different class altogether. Better than my dedicated walking packs !

Best regards from the UK

Dave

csxcnj
15-Sep-2014, 14:48
Just email Bruce and ask him. He responds very quickly.

Racer X 69
20-Sep-2014, 11:12
Seeing this thread reminded me that there were products that Photobackpacker that I really wanted as part of my LF kit. So I checked the budget, and decided I had enough "extra" that I could squeeze in the 4x5 Cascading Film Holder Case.

It arrived swiftly. I was very impressed in how it was packaged for shipment. Opening the packaging and examining it I found that the quality of workmanship and materials is perfect. Like a kid with a new toy at Christmas I then set about inserting my film holders into it, and then wrapped it up. All my film holders were in Ziplock bags when I bought the 4x5 Cambo, and snugly fit in a cardboard box wrapped up in some kind of tape that one might find on an assembly line in the aerospace industry. (This box will likely outlast me.)

After filling all the slots in the case there were several holders still in the box. I eyeballed it and sure enough the new holder bag slid right into the space that the holders in it used to be. So not only is the holder light, well designed, and manufactured from quality materials with expert skill, it also takes up very little room. A plus when one needs to maximize limited space.

Too bad for me that I waited so long to pick up one of Bruce's great products. I likely will find it difficult to purchase similar products that are of such good quality.

Oh, and one more thing. Bruce placed a personalized, hand written thank you on the invoice.

How often do you see that these days?

Bruce is a class act.

Thank you very much Bruce!

Kirk Gittings
20-Sep-2014, 11:23
Bruce is a class act.
Indeed. I had nothing but great experiences with him over the years. He will be missed!

Steve Sherman
20-Sep-2014, 12:24
I have long wanted to try Bruce's products, his good fortune of retiring finally moved my off my butt to order a camera case and several lens cases. I must say they are top notch quality and in my opinion quite reasonably priced.
Thanks Bruce and enjoy the well earned time off !!

Kodachrome25
20-Sep-2014, 21:57
Bruce shipped out my custom backer boards a couple days ago, this completes a big order and and a brilliant P3 system that will work with other packs. I guess I am kind of sad...I have looked forward to getting Photobackpacker gear delivered darn near weekly since he announced this.

It's truly great gear, I'm glad I got onboard and ordered up...

BILL3075
21-Sep-2014, 10:32
Hi Bruce,

Everything I ordered arrived. Many thanks & enjoy your retirement !

Bill

andreios
21-Sep-2014, 12:18
Indeed, my experiences are the same as others - order arrived, I've had an issue - my camera didn't fit the case for some reason (anyone there with a triple-extension 8x10 Tachihara using standard 8x10 case?) - Bruce was very helpful and generous, pity he's out of material to build a new custom case..

Erik Larsen
21-Sep-2014, 12:29
Indeed, my experiences are the same as others - order arrived, I've had an issue - my camera didn't fit the case for some reason (anyone there with a triple-extension 8x10 Tachihara using standard 8x10 case?) - Bruce was very helpful and generous, pity he's out of material to build a new custom case..

Sorry Andreios, I think Bruce is using the last of his custom case material for my case:) I'm anxiously awaiting my new setup.

Photobackpacker
21-Sep-2014, 14:56
My main computer died on Friday. Lightening strike took out the motherboard via the ethernet cable. Yes, everything was backed up redundantly BUT getting everything re-established has been awful. I made so many attempts to try to get MS Outlook to recognize my huge email data file (1.6 gig) with repeated set up and delete, the business server that hosts Photobackpacker decided I was a hacker and banned my IP address from accessing my web page, my retail shopping account and my email - for ......... 18 Hours. Seems the tech support folks didn't have sufficient rights to overrule such a blatant attempt. They had to bring in a Senior Tech rep.

This didn't impact customer ability to place orders - only my ability to process them.

I am nearly back up and running now - enough to see and process orders. What a way to spend a weekend. Computers are labor saving devices????????

StoneNYC
22-Sep-2014, 07:11
My main computer died on Friday. Lightening strike took out the motherboard via the ethernet cable. Yes, everything was backed up redundantly BUT getting everything re-established has been awful. I made so many attempts to try to get MS Outlook to recognize my huge email data file (1.6 gig) with repeated set up and delete, the business server that hosts Photobackpacker decided I was a hacker and banned my IP address from accessing my web page, my retail shopping account and my email - for ......... 18 Hours. Seems the tech support folks didn't have sufficient rights to overrule such a blatant attempt. They had to bring in a Senior Tech rep.

This didn't impact customer ability to place orders - only my ability to process them.

I am nearly back up and running now - enough to see and process orders. What a way to spend a weekend. Computers are labor saving devices????????

Karma for trying to leave us! It's a sign to stay open ;)

Glad you got it all back

mamypoko
25-Sep-2014, 04:22
Placed an order for mine as well!

Regular Rod
25-Sep-2014, 04:27
My Cascades arrived yesterday complete with clever shoulder strap although I think my Cascades will be going inside the P3 anyway. Now I can keep the different sizes and film types all ready to go instead of swapping holders in and out and relabeling each time. Being organised just got even more organised. Thank you Bruce!

RR

Racer X 69
1-Oct-2014, 04:23
Computers are labor saving devices????????

I remember when personal computers first began to appear in homes, businesses and stores. Everyone was saying that they would save time, replace paper, and save trees.

Today, everyone prints mountains of paper, e-mail, maps, receipts, etc.

And I have yet to own any type of computing device that did not consume more time keeping it operating than it does actually "working" for me.

But I do have to say that without computers and the internet, I would probably not have come to know the folks here at LF Forum, and Bruce with his excellent products.

So computers aren't all bad.

They just try to suck the life out of us.

ImSoNegative
4-Oct-2014, 07:20

Wow Bruce...just wow....

dang and I whine about hiking a mile to a waterfall on semi flat ground. : ) well maybe 25 years ago I could have done it..nah I doubt it.

Kodachrome25
5-Oct-2014, 00:43
I did thousands of feet of vertical again today. Only now we have snow so there is very uneven footing, post-holing, ankle rolling, 3rd & 4th class climbing. I had a scurry of rocks bust through my area, a good ten pounder bounced off the pack....gear unfazed....lol.

I started at 5:30AM, back to my truck at 4:30. I took the pack of 32 pounds of gear off....the feeling my body had was one of just having a massage...surreal Bruce...simply surreal.

I better order a second pack, the way this stuff carries is simply in another world.

richardman
5-Oct-2014, 01:20
I feel shameful for just lugging 15 lbs...

N Dhananjay
5-Oct-2014, 07:15
Everyone has waxed eloquent about how good the product is. Here is another aspect....

I had ordered a pack with a custom case for the 8x10 camera and lens cases. It turned out to be a very tight squeeze in the pack. Bruce recognized a less than optimal situation and he found an older pack that was just slightly larger enough to accommodate everything and sent that along with the rest of the order for me to experiment with the whole kit and ensure I found a system that worked for me. I should have thought of these issues when I was placing the order and I am very thankful Bruce caught this and figured out a solution. A great product and a gentleman to deal with - what more could you ask for?

Cheers, DJ

Peter Collins
6-Oct-2014, 11:33
Hello, Bruce!
The larger lens case arrived today. Thanks!

rcmartins
6-Oct-2014, 12:23
Another extremely satisfied costumer. Excellent products, professional service and personalized attention.
Many thanks!
raul

dodphotography
14-Oct-2014, 09:14
Does anyone have experience fitting a Ritter into this pack?

Kodachrome25
14-Oct-2014, 09:17
Does anyone have experience fitting a Ritter into this pack? It's also a matter of case fit since that is typically the carry style. Drop Bruce a line, he will be the best person to ask...

Erik Larsen
15-Oct-2014, 06:21
Does anyone have experience fitting a Ritter into this pack?

Bruce is trying to figure out how to shoe horn my Ritter into the pack. Apparently it is right on the edge of being able to fit. I'll let you know how it works when I receive the setup.

Kodachrome25
15-Oct-2014, 09:51
Ordered yet two more 4x5 film cascades for a total of 6 now...obviously, I love these things...;)

dodphotography
15-Oct-2014, 09:53
Bruce is trying to figure out how to shoe horn my Ritter into the pack. Apparently it is right on the edge of being able to fit. I'll let you know how it works when I receive the setup.

Thanks... I had the same feedback from Bruce.

Keep me posted!

dodphotography
26-Oct-2014, 05:22

Anything back from him?

Erik Larsen
26-Oct-2014, 07:39
Anything back from him?

Nope, I haven't received it yet.

Greg Y
26-Oct-2014, 09:25
My '38 Deardorff 5x7 special has never had it so good is in the Photopacker zip case

Photobackpacker
27-Oct-2014, 08:00
Nope, I haven't received it yet.

I have finally worked out the solution. It required an entirely new molding technique to provide a pocket for the knob that will fit into the bottom portion of the pack. I hope to mold the case today and sew the assembly tomorrow if orders permit.

bruce

dodphotography
27-Oct-2014, 08:22
I have finally worked out the solution. It required an entirely new molding technique to provide a pocket for the knob that will fit into the bottom portion of the pack. I hope to mold the case today and sew the assembly tomorrow if orders permit.

bruce

I'd love to order something for my ritter as soon as this is squared away, thanks for the work!

Erik Larsen
27-Oct-2014, 08:38

bruce

Great Bruce! I'm in no hurry, so proceed at your convenience.
Erik

GilroyHS
6-Nov-2014, 13:01
I just bought a P3 backpack to go along with previous purchases of camera and lens cases and cascade film holders. This is a fabulous system, well designed and highly functional. I use it with a Sinar f 4X5 kit and with a Deardorff 8X10 kit. As an avid hiker and backpacker, I particularly appreciate the suspension system on the P3; it is similar to the very best in technical backpacks. The light gear cases and backerboard system along with the cascade film holders make this all a joy to use. Highly recommended.

RSalles
6-Nov-2014, 20:20
Gilroy,

As the Sinar F2 or P isn't listed in the models available list, which can I choose to fit these Sinar cam's? If you don't mind I ask, exactly which model/size did you get?

Thanks,

Renato

GilroyHS
7-Nov-2014, 05:29
Gilroy,

As the Sinar F2 or P isn't listed in the models available list, which can I choose to fit these Sinar cam's? If you don't mind I ask, exactly which model/size did you get?

Thanks,

Renato

Renato,

Bruce makes a custom enclosure for the Sinar f (presumably fits a P as well). Order a "custom enclosure large", and mention in the comments that it is for a Sinar f or P. It's an awkward camera for the field and for a backpack, but Bruce has figured out a workable solution. The price last year was $69. You might check with Bruce by email first to see if he is still making these. I don't think he generally stocks them but rather makes them up on an as needed basis.

Gilroy

RSalles
7-Nov-2014, 05:45
Gilroy,

Thanks, I'll do that,

Cheers,

Renato

Roger Thoms
7-Nov-2014, 06:19
I tried to order a custom enclosure, but unfortunately Bruce is out of material and won't be ordering more.

Roger

Erik Larsen
11-Nov-2014, 17:38
I'd love to order something for my ritter as soon as this is squared away, thanks for the work!

Well, I received the case and Bruce made it fit just fine. It is my understanding that he can't make any more custom cases due to lack of materials. You could probably rig up some foam dividers to put around your Ritter. The pack is plenty big enough and it seems like a nice upgrade from my f64 pack as far as suspension is concerned.

dodphotography
12-Nov-2014, 06:18
Well, I received the case and Bruce made it fit just fine. It is my understanding that he can't make any more custom cases due to lack of materials. You could probably rig up some foam dividers to put around your Ritter. The pack is plenty big enough and it seems like a nice upgrade from my f64 pack as far as suspension is concerned.

That's great to hear! I'll see if Bruce can squeeze anything together.

djdister
12-Nov-2014, 06:25
Maybe you could make something like konakoa showed in the "Show off your Large Format Camera" thread... this is his photo:

StoneNYC
12-Nov-2014, 06:42
I wish I could know how much current stock there is, I have a few things I want to snag but don't have a ton of cash, so knowing what's firs to go would help my decisions.

I want 2-3 4x5 cascades, an 8x10 case for my Chamonix, and possibly one for a 4x5 Chamonix just "in case" lol

Photobackpacker
12-Nov-2014, 07:12
I wish I could know how much current stock there is, I have a few things I want to snag but don't have a ton of cash, so knowing what's firs to go would help my decisions.

I want 2-3 4x5 cascades, an 8x10 case for my Chamonix, and possibly one for a 4x5 Chamonix just "in case" lol

I have an ample supply of the P3 backpacks to last into the 1st Quarter of 2015. I have only 6 of the C12135 camera cases for the 8x10. All of the other camera cases are in good supply The cascade cases are also in good supply.

The LS-1150-4 multi-lens case in out of stock. All of the other lens cases are in stock.

Bruce

Jeff Dexheimer
12-Nov-2014, 08:05
Just ordered my system. Can't wait to start using it! And like stone, I added a few items I don't need, yet :)

StoneNYC
12-Nov-2014, 08:35
I have an ample supply of the P3 backpacks to last into the 1st Quarter of 2015. I have only 6 of the C12135 camera cases for the 8x10. All of the other camera cases are in good supply The cascade cases are also in good supply.

The LS-1150-4 multi-lens case in out of stock. All of the other lens cases are in stock.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!

Just ordered the 8x10 case, with the shipping I just wasn't able to pull ordering any of the cascades right now, but thanks! One less thing to worry about and the rest to put on the Christmas wishlist!

Kirk Gittings
12-Nov-2014, 08:40
Anyone who has owned both the new RPT and the older Redwing PBP packs. Does the newer pack have a better load carrying system, which will allow one to carry the weight more comfortably and presumably therefore for longer periods?

AFSmithphoto
13-Nov-2014, 20:35
Hey,
As a result of the posts on this thread, I dumped my old reliable, but never quite fit right pack and jumped on the photo-backpacker band wagon. Wow. As a long time photographer, AND backpacker, I really should have known better and done this sooner! This pack distributes weight on my frame SOOOOOOOOOO much better than anything else I've ever tried. I was able to carry MORE gear MORE comfortably than ever before. (The pack just eats my gear and asks for more! It fit a linhof 2x3 camera with a 80mm, 135mm, 180mm and 300mm lens, PLUS an SLR with a 35mm, 85mm, 200mm, 400mm and 1.4 tc. Not to mention various filters, batteries, media, food AND a camelpak resivior!)
This pack allowed me to take a lot more (better) gear places where I never would have thought of before. I've attached a shot of it enjoying some shade under an arch while I do some exploring.

I just want to say thanks to Bruce for making such a great product!

Peter Lewin
14-Nov-2014, 05:40
Anyone who has owned both the new RPT and the older Redwing PBP packs. Does the newer pack have a better load carrying system, which will allow one to carry the weight more comfortably and presumably therefore for longer periods?

I would like to keep Kirk's question open for reply, since I have exactly the same question. I have a full set of cases, etc. in one of PBP's Redwing packs, which I am very happy with, and would love to know if the new pack is enough of an improvement to justify upgrading, or whether the improvement is genuine, but really only marginal versus the earlier packs.

Alan Curtis
14-Nov-2014, 05:40

Kirk
I used the older PBP for many years and was very happy with it. When I heard that Bruce was retiring I decided to upgrade to his new product. In my humble opinion, it is a lot better. I don't carry the number of lenses you do but, I carry quite a few holders. The loaded pack is very comfortable. One of the few great decisions I've made. Strongly consider getting one before they disappear.

Kirk Gittings
14-Nov-2014, 07:13
A little more info if you don't mind. In what ways is it better? Is it lighter? Does it fit the back better etc. My question comes from having a bad back, a permanent shoulder separation and a rib that pops out of place if I move wrong-otherwise known as old age :)

Photobackpacker
14-Nov-2014, 07:57
Hi Kirk:

The suspension is lighter and sits closer to the user's back. The frame sheet is stiff in the vertical while flexing horizontally so it doesn't fight you when you walk and has air channels to minimize the heat factor. The fit is the biggest improvement. There are 13 fit components and 10 torso length settings which makes a near custom fit easily achievable. Finally, the belt is beautifully engineered by Granite Gear to be comfortable and yet be stiff enough with an internal stiffener to gather the weight of the pack and transfer it to the shelf of the hips. This is the feature that creates the "felt-weight-reduction".

All 6 of my beta testers were former users of the P1 or P2 backpacks and all of them concluded that the P3 was another level of improvement over the comfort achieved with the previous packs. This sentiment has been echoed over and over again by all who have traded up.

If you don't agree it is worth the price of upgrade, I will pay for you to ship it back and refund all of your costs. Use the coupon code PBLFF if you are new to Photobackpacker for a 25% discount on any order containing a P3 pack. Use PBLFFPC for a 35% discount on any order containing a P3 if you are a previous customer. Free worldwide shipping on orders exceeding $200 is still in effect.

Alan Curtis
14-Nov-2014, 08:36
One of the main improvements was in the weight distribution to the hips and less strain on my shoulders. The first time I used it for a little over two hours I noticed that I didn't have the fatigue in my shoulders. Another thing I like and this is shared with the older models is that it fits in the overhead bin on most airplanes.

Kirk Gittings
14-Nov-2014, 08:47
Hi Kirk:

The suspension is lighter and sits closer to the user's back. The frame sheet is stiff in the vertical while flexing horizontally so it doesn't fight you when you walk and has air channels to minimize the heat factor. The fit is the biggest improvement. There are 13 fit components and 10 torso length settings which makes a near custom fit easily achievable. Finally, the belt is beautifully engineered by Granite Gear to be comfortable and yet be stiff enough with an internal stiffener to gather the weight of the pack and transfer it to the shelf of the hips. This is the feature that creates the "felt-weight-reduction".

All 6 of my beta testers were former users of the P1 or P2 backpacks and all of them concluded that the P3 was another level of improvement over the comfort achieved with the previous packs. This sentiment has been echoed over and over again by all who have traded up.

If you don't agree it is worth the price of upgrade, I will pay for you to ship it back and refund all of your costs. Use the coupon code PBLFF if you are new to Photobackpacker for a 25% discount on any order containing a P3 pack. Use PBLFFPC for a 35% discount on any order containing a P3 if you are a previous customer. Free worldwide shipping on orders exceeding $200 is still in effect.

Damn dude you are making this veeerrryyy hard to resist :)

Kirk Gittings
14-Nov-2014, 08:56
I'm a tad confused. Does the backpack come with the backerboard or is that a separate item?

Peter De Smidt
14-Nov-2014, 08:59
It comes with one.

dodphotography
14-Nov-2014, 09:01
I ordered mine, just hope my torso measurement was close enough.

Photobackpacker
14-Nov-2014, 09:31
I ordered mine, just hope my torso measurement was close enough.

Torso length is user adjustable if needed.

StoneNYC
14-Nov-2014, 10:26
I have a question, it's kind of an odd one I guess but I'm surprised more people don't function like me, then again people are surprised that I function at all so.... Lol!

I use a 1560SC pelican case...

This one...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/866309-REG

To carry my 8 x 10 gear, when I'm hauling it around and working out of the car and not hiking.

Do the inserts that come with the pack come out entirely? And is the P3 pack big enough for me to literally just lift out the pre-separated compartments in my pelican and place it directly into the pack?

Instead of having to load and unload my protective case when I'm not using it for hiking, it would be really great if I could just simply lifted out of the pelican case and place it right into the back pack.

I do realize that the pelican case dividers probably have much heavier weight than this, but for small trips I'm not as worried about it. Just wondering if it will fit?

Thanks!

Kirk Gittings
14-Nov-2014, 12:16
Thanks all for the answers.

A separate question Bruce. Can you still make custom backer boards?

Kirk Gittings
14-Nov-2014, 15:41
FWIW guys. My experience to date with Bruce and his products has been resoundingly positive-some of the best made and intelligently designed photographic products I have ever bought. I envy his retirement and wish him well but greatly lament the loss of his product line to future generations of LF photographers. So based on my past experience I'm looking to acquire whatever else I want/need while I can. These products will serve me well the rest of my shooting life.

David Karp
14-Nov-2014, 17:41
Absolutely true. Also a pleasure to do business with a nice guy like Bruce.

Photobackpacker
14-Nov-2014, 22:28
Thanks all for the answers.

A separate question Bruce. Can you still make custom backer boards?

Yes.

Jeff Dexheimer
14-Nov-2014, 22:33
Just got my pack system and it's incredible! It is far better than any other system I have tried, which only includes Lowe Pro and 2 day pack style backpacks. Still, the pack and components were easy to arrange to my needs. I may have to order a few items to future proof my needs. I was also thrilled to discover you are using Granite Gear as the maker of your packs. My humble opinion isBruce, your company will be sorely missed. Any way you would want to work out a contract for deed deal and pass me the torch? :)

Photobackpacker
15-Nov-2014, 07:07
Just got my pack system and it's incredible! It is far better than any other system I have tried, which only includes Lowe Pro and 2 day pack style backpacks. Still, the pack and components were easy to arrange to my needs. I may have to order a few items to future proof my needs. I was also thrilled to discover you are using Granite Gear as the maker of your packs. My humble opinion isBruce, your company will be sorely missed. Any way you would want to work out a contract for deed deal and pass me the torch? :)

Nothing would please me more than to pass this on.

Larry Kellogg
15-Nov-2014, 07:13
Bruce,

Enjoy your retirement! Thanks for all of your work. I put in an order for more of those cascading film holders, they're wonderful. The only trouble I had with the film holders was when my wife was carrying them and put them in the dirt. Now she knows better. ;-) Those little shoulder straps look cool so I ordered a couple of those as well.

StoneNYC
15-Nov-2014, 08:21
Nothing would please me more than to pass this on.

I thought you said earlier that you didn't want to pass on the business? I would be very excited to hear if you decided to indeed pass it on to someone else to take on the task of continuing to supply us with amazing products. So I will say here here! I support you if you choose to pass on the business to someone else, it would be amazing!

Photobackpacker
15-Nov-2014, 11:56
H
I thought you said earlier that you didn't want to pass on the business? I would be very excited to hear if you decided to indeed pass it on to someone else to take on the task of continuing to supply us with amazing products. So I will say here here! I support you if you choose to pass on the business to someone else, it would be amazing!

I would love to sell the business. If there is any interest, I would welcome the conversation.

StoneNYC
15-Nov-2014, 13:54
I have a question, it's kind of an odd one I guess but I'm surprised more people don't function like me, then again people are surprised that I function at all so.... Lol!

I use a 1560SC pelican case...

This one...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/866309-REG

To carry my 8 x 10 gear, when I'm hauling it around and working out of the car and not hiking.

Do the inserts that come with the pack come out entirely? And is the P3 pack big enough for me to literally just lift out the pre-separated compartments in my pelican and place it directly into the pack?

Instead of having to load and unload my protective case when I'm not using it for hiking, it would be really great if I could just simply lifted out of the pelican case and place it right into the back pack.

I do realize that the pelican case dividers probably have much heavier weight than this, but for small trips I'm not as worried about it. Just wondering if it will fit?

Thanks!

Bruce are you still investigating this questions or just missed it?

Photobackpacker
15-Nov-2014, 18:31
Bruce are you still investigating this questions or just missed it?

Based upon the published inside dimensions of the Pelican, the kit with the dividers would not lift out and drop into the P3. They exceed the girth of the pack.

StoneNYC
15-Nov-2014, 19:45
Based upon the published inside dimensions of the Pelican, the kit with the dividers would not lift out and drop into the P3. They exceed the girth of the pack.

Thanks Bruce, I was afraid of that, well, I plan to buy one anyway ;) or at least have it on a Christmas wishlist.

Jim Cole
16-Nov-2014, 10:16
I just placed my order for a P3, fully loaded. I had Bruce's older Redwing style pack (which I loved) when I had my 8x10 Deardorff system, and I foolishly sold the pack at the same time as my 8x10 system. I should have kept it for my 4x5 system as my old LowePro is too small and really uncomfortable. It's gotta go.

Well, that problem is resolved now. I am really happy to see Bruce reaching retirement time, but I'm sad to see his outstanding products disappear. Hopefully someone can pick up the torch and keep the fires going.

Thanks again Bruce for your really fine designs and for the savings on my second go around.

Kirk Gittings
16-Nov-2014, 11:34
My new P3 is on the way!! My back and shoulder can't wait!

Jacques-Mtl
16-Nov-2014, 18:30
You won't be dissapointed I own a P1 and a new P3 and this backpack is great. Its a wonderful product.
Jacques

Peter Collins
16-Nov-2014, 19:02
Yeah. I bought one this summer and it's really much more comfortable than the rig I was using....

Ari
16-Nov-2014, 19:25
I figured I should look into this, since the happiness quotient seems to be very high on both the product and the customer service.
I've sent Bruce a PM as the website wasn't really working for me; the page didn't load after I keyed in camera dimensions.
I'm happiest on city pavement with a rolling case, but I've been known to be adjacent to a forest, or possibly a bird, on occasion.

Jim Cole
16-Nov-2014, 20:58
I figured I should look into this, since the happiness quotient seems to be very high on both the product and the customer service.
I've sent Bruce a PM as the website wasn't really working for me; the page didn't load after I keyed in camera dimensions.
I'm happiest on city pavement with a rolling case, but I've been known to be adjacent to a forest, or possibly a bird, on occasion.

Hi Ari,

Yes, Bruce's backpacks are awesome! I had the same problem with my web order today while using Firefox. When I switched to Google, everything worked fine.

Give it a shot if you have Google's browser loaded.

Ari
18-Nov-2014, 09:06
Hi Jim,
I ended up contacting Bruce directly; sadly, he was out of the inserts needed for the Toyo 810M; because of his impending retirement, he won't be ordering it.
Hopefully, someone will pick up where Bruce leaves off, and I can try out these seemingly wonderful packs one day.

Kirk Gittings
21-Nov-2014, 21:59
Got my P3 today with side pouches and auxiliary DSLR insert. Wow....Wow. This is a significant upgrade from the Redwing Kelty 3100 both in terms of build quality and design. I will set it up and give it a whirl this weekend out in the field and report back.

David Karp
21-Nov-2014, 22:35
Kirk,

Wait until you load it up and put it on your back. You won't believe it!

andreios
22-Nov-2014, 03:26
Good to know Bruce has still some stock - only the other day I was thinking that I should maybe purchase one more case and a few minor items in case I'll get another camera in some future.. But at least I hear those cascade film holders calling...

Jim Cole
22-Nov-2014, 08:18
Just finished moving my 4x5 kit from my ancient LowePro Photo Trekker Classic and film cooler to my new P3 with a couple of cascade film holders. I also bought the case for my Chamonix 45n-2 and two of the 800 series lens cases that will hold 5 of my lenses. Pack is heavy with 12 film holders and accessories ( I carry a lot of misc crap) but oh, sooo comfortable. I think I'll go ahead and mount my CF Gitzo w/ Arca ballhead on the side and give it a whirl in Sedona today.

Kirk Gittings
22-Nov-2014, 13:34
Kirk,

Wait until you load it up and put it on your back. You won't believe it!

I just did. What a difference! Feels like its part of my back-supported reeeaaally well.

I was disappointed when I lifted the two empty-the RPT 3 seemed a lot heavier than the Kelty Redwing, but when I put them on the scale the RPT was just under a pound heavier which surprised me. The RPT is also simply a better build quality too-a level or two up in terms of quality and design. Best investment I think I've made in awhile in terms of photo equipment.

StoneNYC
22-Nov-2014, 15:58
Does anyone else with the Chamonix810 have the C12135 body case? I just got mine (thanks Bruce!) and it seems a little snug, it certainly is going to protect my camera much better than the wrap, but I'm having trouble getting it in and out of the case easily. Does it stretch?

David Karp
22-Nov-2014, 17:54
Glad you like it Kirk. Mine feels much lighter on the back than my old non Photobackpacker Redwing, even with more stuff in it.

Kirk Gittings
22-Nov-2014, 18:19
Glad you like it Kirk. Mine feels much lighter on the back than my old non Photobackpacker Redwing, even with more stuff in it.

Yes exactly. I weighed mine after setup and full. I could have sworn that it weighed less on my back (though that would have defied physics) than my Kelty full with the exact same gear.

Peter Collins
22-Nov-2014, 19:49
yep, i'm glad i got one too.

Photobackpacker
23-Nov-2014, 20:34
Yes exactly. I weighed mine after setup and full. I could have sworn that it weighed less on my back (though that would have defied physics) than my Kelty full with the exact same gear.

It isn't about the weight, it is where the weight is invested. The P3 invests its weight in the suspension system. I have encountered only a few photographers who have experienced the felt-weight reduction magic of a well designed suspension. There is no other camera backpack that offers it. It isn't advertising fluff.

Jim Cole
23-Nov-2014, 21:11
It isn't about the weight, it is where the weight is invested. The P3 invests its weight in the suspension system. I have encountered only a few photographers who have experienced the felt-weight reduction magic of a well designed suspension. There is no other camera backpack that offers it. It isn't advertising fluff.

Agreed, Bruce! I just broke my new, fully loaded P3 in with a nice photo session in Sedona today. Most comfortable pack I have ever worn. It was a pleasure to work out of it, too. Alas, now its dirty.

Kirk Gittings
23-Nov-2014, 22:18
It isn't about the weight, it is where the weight is invested. The P3 invests its weight in the suspension system.

Well it sure works. Going to the Bisti on Tuesday to give it a spin.

dodphotography
24-Nov-2014, 04:21
Can't wait for mine to come in!

Regular Rod
25-Nov-2014, 14:01
Just ordered another P3 and cases. It's time I had the same luxury with 6½”x8½” as I have been enjoying with 8x10!

RR

Regular Rod
8-Jan-2015, 05:29
My second P3 and cases for whole plate Rittreck, lenses and all the other bits arrived this morning. To say I am delighted would be an understatement. I do hope someone can continue in the furrow that Bruce has ploughed for we lucky owners of his system. Everyone that walks any distance with their gear should treat themselves to a Photobackpacker outfit...

:)
RR

Drew Bedo
8-Jan-2015, 08:56
Got a box for my Zone VI and a 4x5 film holder pack for Christmas . . .Good Stuff!

Deepak Kumar
21-Jun-2015, 06:13
Hi Bruce, I must be in hibernation or how else can I get this news so late.

Frankly, I was terribly busy all winter and till now, I did try to open you
site but failed and again got busy with shooting. I wish I could have
ordered camera case with dividers.

Anyway, It was great to have stuff from you, Your P3 and cascading holder
really make me shoot LF more. Happy retirement

Photobackpacker
21-Jun-2015, 10:01
Hi Bruce, I must be in hibernation or how else can I get this news so late.

Frankly, I was terribly busy all winter and till now, I did try to open you
site but failed and again got busy with shooting. I wish I could have
ordered camera case with dividers.

Anyway, It was great to have stuff from you, Your P3 and cascading holder
really make me shoot LF more. Happy retirement

The site is still up and running. I am in stock on everything except for the LS-1150-4 multi-lens case. I expect to be in stock on pretty much everything until year end and am still hoping to find a buyer for the company to keep it going.

Bruce

tgtaylor
21-Jun-2015, 10:26
I would be interested in a case that fits my Toyo-Field MII. I just measured with a tape measure: 15"x14.75"x6"

Thomas

Photobackpacker
21-Jun-2015, 10:33
I would be interested in a case that fits my Toyo-Field MII. I just measured with a tape measure: 15"x14.75"x6"

Thomas

Hi Thomas:

I used to make custom enclosures for the Toyo and Ritter 8x10 but I am out of the laminate material and with the minimum order requirement, I'd need to buy 5 years worth to be back in stock. It pains me to say it but I can't help you on this. :(

Bruce

Deepak Kumar
5-Jul-2015, 03:15
So nice to hear from you Bruce, I am trying to open your site but failed on Safari, Firefox and chrome.
would email you shortly about if I do not get through in day or two.

Robert Langham
5-Jul-2015, 09:00
Thanks for all your good works! You made hauling gear to a LOT of photographic sites possible.

Shiprock from West Hill.

dasBlute
5-Jul-2015, 09:09
Just want to say, I recently purchased a kit for 4x5, traveled to Maine, hiked about a bit, and had the nicest experience I've ever had walking about with LF. Absolutely, unreservedly recommended. Once I saw the quality, I ordered internal pieces for my 5x7 kit as well. Some of the best money I've ever spent on LF. Thank you so much!

4x5 from Pemaquid Point...

thomasfallon
5-Jul-2015, 14:16
I discovered you about the time you retired. I might have some of the last you sold of certain items before stock ran out. I think you are about to enter cult status. Thanks for great design, quality and service. Anyone buying some of the items you still have will be so glad they did.

Photobackpacker
5-Jul-2015, 16:58
Thank all of you for you kind praise. The large format community has been an absolute delight to work with. The number of customers who have taken the time to send me emails praising the gear and making suggestions for improvements is stunning. I am continuing to look for potential buyers of Photobackpacker and would love to pass this business on to someone who would take it to the next level.

Winger
5-Jul-2015, 17:04
So nice to hear from you Bruce, I am trying to open your site but failed on Safari, Firefox and chrome.

I'm on Safari and have no problems accessing the site.

I have a question about the waist belt, though. Should I go up a size if I might wear a jacket? That will make a difference for chest, too.

Kodachrome25
5-Jul-2015, 19:18
I'm on Safari and have no problems accessing the site.

I have a question about the waist belt, though. Should I go up a size if I might wear a jacket? That will make a difference for chest, too.

Do like I did and order a spare belt in the next size up. They are easy to swap and having both makes a ton of sense if you work in the huge temps ranges I do.

Photobackpacker
6-Jul-2015, 20:02

Hi Deepak:

I just saw your post. Sorry your are having a problem.

I am not getting any other customers reporting problems and I accessed the site via all 3 browsers on ios and MS operating systems without a problem. If you want to send me an email of what you want, I can send you a paypal invoice. Hope that helps.

Bruce

David Karp
6-Jul-2015, 20:54
Bruce,

I took my PB setup on vacation a couple of weeks ago. Once again, I have to say that it is fantastic. It worked great with both a 5x7 and 4x5 ARCA monorail. The side pouch holds plenty of film holders and the tripod lashes are great. Thanks again. Wonderful stuff.

dentkimterry
9-Sep-2015, 14:11
I see this Photobackpacker website is still operational. Can this system still be ordered? I want one bad!

csxcnj
9-Sep-2015, 17:37
I see this Photobackpacker website is still operational. Can this system still be ordered? I want one bad!

Until he runs out of product I believe. He has run out of the material to make custom sized cases. And YES you do want this.

sepstein17
10-Sep-2015, 05:50
would like to order (have ordered before) but, alas, have forgotten my password --
need 3 (three) LS-400-4 lens cases -- how to proceed?

steve

macolive
10-Sep-2015, 06:08
Bruce,

I took my PB setup on vacation a couple of weeks ago. Once again, I have to say that it is fantastic. It worked great with both a 5x7 and 4x5 ARCA monorail. The side pouch holds plenty of film holders and the tripod lashes are great. Thanks again. Wonderful stuff.. Hi David, care to share tips on how you pack the arca and how you strap your tripod on?

Kirk Gittings
10-Sep-2015, 06:55
would like to order (have ordered before) but, alas, have forgotten my password --
need 3 (three) LS-400-4 lens cases -- how to proceed?

steve

try this under the login "I forgot my password. Please email it to me." :)

sepstein17
10-Sep-2015, 08:33
(I did but received no response that's why I asked the question.

David Karp
10-Sep-2015, 21:27
. Hi David, care to share tips on how you pack the arca and how you strap your tripod on?

Sure.

I have a telescoping rail for the ARCA, so I slide the front standard all the way back and separate the rear rail piece from the rest of the telescoping rail assembly. Sorry I don't keep up on the ARCA nomenclature for these parts. I have the backpack set up with two of the cases that hold four lenses on Technika-type or similar sized boards. One is on the bottom, one is nearly to the top. The bottom case holds lenses. The top one holds misc. items like my loupe, filters, spotmeter, etc. I wrap the camera in the darkcloth and put it in the middle, sitting on the case that holds the lenses. I did not buy one of Bruce's camera cases. I often go out with my Walker Titan SF or a Whole Plate Improved Seneca, so it seemed like just wrapping the camera up in my darkcloth made sense.

The backpack has two sets of two straps, one on each side. They can make a small loop. These wrap around the tripod legs and can be tightened to hold the tripod securely. I have a pouch for holding film holders attached on one side of the pack and carry the tripod on the other.

dentkimterry
11-Sep-2015, 04:46
Until he runs out of product I believe. He has run out of the material to make custom sized cases. And YES you do want this.

Well I made an order through the website and it took it. Got an automated response with order number. We'll see what happens. I'm excited!

macolive
11-Sep-2015, 06:07
P
Sure.

I have a telescoping rail for the ARCA, so I slide the front standard all the way back and separate the rear rail piece from the rest of the telescoping rail assembly. Sorry I don't keep up on the ARCA nomenclature for these parts. I have the backpack set up with two of the cases that hold four lenses on Technika-type or similar sized boards. One is on the bottom, one is nearly to the top. The bottom case holds lenses. The top one holds misc. items like my loupe, filters, spotmeter, etc. I wrap the camera in the darkcloth and put it in the middle, sitting on the case that holds the lenses. I did not buy one of Bruce's camera cases. I often go out with my Walker Titan SF or a Whole Plate Improved Seneca, so it seemed like just wrapping the camera up in my darkcloth made sense.

The backpack has two sets of two straps, one on each side. They can make a small loop. These wrap around the tripod legs and can be tightened to hold the tripod securely. I have a pouch for holding film holders attached on one side of the pack and carry the tripod on the other.

Cool! Thanks! I have the arca case which seems to be just a bit shallow for the 15cm rail. I will try wrapping the camera in the focusing cloth and see if that will make it easier.

Kirk Gittings
11-Sep-2015, 06:28
(I did but received no response that's why I asked the question.

I just sent him an email to let him know there are people interested in talking to him.

Robert Langham
11-Sep-2015, 10:41
I thought he was long gone and just replaced my F64 backpack with a new one off Ebay. (YKK zippers kept blowing out.) New one not quite as good as old one, but can bring some parts over. I'm not going anywhere extreme. Maybe the Diving Board and Liberty Cap again if I get lucky. Could tourist around at Shiprock a bit. Sorry to miss this guy!

139522 139523

Kirk Gittings
11-Sep-2015, 10:53
No he has said many times that he is in it till the inventory is gone and much of it he still has. I'm guessing he is on vacation or something as he usually gets back to me quickly.

Photobackpacker
11-Sep-2015, 11:37
Hi Folks:

I am still here and still selling. My current inventory is 15 P3 Backpacks in the Regular Torso version and 58 P3 Backpacks in the Short torso version. If you are someone with a short torso - roughly 5' 7" and shorter, you really need to consider this system. There is no other camera backpack that will give you a fit. The Short torso is in use by women as short at 5' 1" up to folks 5' 7" (and a few who are taller with longer legs and shorter torso.) BTW, the cargo space in the Short torso and the long torso is identical. Only the frame sheet length and curvatures are different.

If you have any problems with the email password - please call me. I can manually reset your password.

All the best,

Bruce

sepstein17
11-Sep-2015, 12:26
He did, I ordered and was confirmed -- now I feel blessed.

A happy and healthy and sweet New Year to all the lantzmen (and women) out there in LF land.:cool:

steve

Winger
11-Sep-2015, 17:36
Hi Folks:

I am still here and still selling. My current inventory is 15 P3 Backpacks in the Regular Torso version and 58 P3 Backpacks in the Short torso version. If you are someone with a short torso - roughly 5' 7" and shorter, you really need to consider this system. There is no other camera backpack that will give you a fit. The Short torso is in use by women as short at 5' 1" up to folks 5' 7" (and a few who are taller with longer legs and shorter torso.) BTW, the cargo space in the Short torso and the long torso is identical. Only the frame sheet length and curvatures are different.

If you have any problems with the email password - please call me. I can manually reset your password.

All the best,

Bruce

I haven't been able to use mine as much as I wanted (yet, school just started last week), but mine fits great. I'm sure it will hold more than I can carry, but all of my 4x5 stuff + a P645N are easily fit and carried. I'm 5'5" and not big around - this fits great.

dentkimterry
23-Sep-2015, 05:32
Got a chance to use my new P3 backpack. I can't believe how much weight I can comfortably carry! It's sure to get me out with the view cameras more often.

Photobackpacker
23-Sep-2015, 07:56
Got a chance to use my new P3 backpack. I can't believe how much weight I can comfortably carry! It's sure to get me out with the view cameras more often.

My failure has been finding a way to credibly tell folks that there really is a huge difference between a true technical suspension and those camera bags with shoulder straps and belt. It is similar to the difference between a Kodak Instamatic snapshot and a large format image. I get great satisfaction when my customers confirm this with their comments.

Thanks for sharing, Terry and Bethe.

Peter De Smidt
23-Sep-2015, 08:24
If a pack only has shoulder straps, all of the weight of the pack is loaded on the carrier's spine. That's not good. Placing the weight on the carrier's hips, and thus avoiding burdening one's spine, makes a _huge_ difference! The P3, assuming it fits you properly, does a great job of distributing the weight of the pack onto one's hips. Having a waist belt is not enough. For commercial shoots, I have a Think Tank backpack. All that it's waist belt accomplishes is to uncomfortably squeeze my midriff. As a result, I use the pack, which is otherwise very good, on a dolly.

David Karp
23-Sep-2015, 09:17
My failure has been finding a way to credibly tell folks that there really is a huge difference between a true technical suspension and those camera bags with shoulder straps and belt. It is similar to the difference between a Kodak Instamatic snapshot and a large format image. I get great satisfaction when my customers confirm this with their comments.

Thanks for sharing, Terry and Bethe.

Bruce,

The suspension system on your pack is even better than that on the Redwing and other packs with belts that provide hip support! I am amazed every time I put it on.

Winger
23-Sep-2015, 12:54
I had mine (all my 4x5 stuff, no added smaller formats, though there was room) in the woods the other day. Someone else lifted it and looked at me and asked, "You can seriously carry this?" Yup, easily. And I proceeded to scamper off across the rocks a bit later. No problem. :) I wish I'd gotten it sooner (though I only got the Chamonix in 2013).

Steve Goldstein
23-Sep-2015, 21:59
I've just finished hauling my P3 full of Mamiya 7 gear (two bodies, four lenses, filters, film, raingear, water, etc.) around Washington State for 12 days. Once I got the fit right it was simply amazing how good it was. I'd ordered it with what I thought to be the correct torso length, but on a first-day trip to the REI mothership in Seattle I discovered that my measurement was off. It took about 2 minutes to change the torso length, after that it was heaven.

Osprey make a backpack fitting/measuring gadget, any good outdoors store carrying that brand should have one.

StoneNYC
25-Sep-2015, 12:54
Keep debating getting one of the P3's for my 8 x 10 gear... I just wish they held a little more. I want to carry two cascades (that's 6 holders) One cascade for color and one cascade for B&W.

It would also be nice to be able to have an emergency medical care, and enough room for the bivouac and some food. But with the 8x10 and lenses and holders, there doesn't seem to be much extra room. Especially for a 3 day trip on a weekend even.

Am I wrong? Please feel free to share info.

andreios
25-Sep-2015, 13:25
Keep debating getting one of the P3's for my 8 x 10 gear... I just wish they held a little more. I want to carry two cascades (that's 6 holders) One cascade for color and one cascade for B&W.

It would also be nice to be able to have an emergency medical care, and enough room for the bivouac and some food. But with the 8x10 and lenses and holders, there doesn't seem to be much extra room. Especially for a 3 day trip on a weekend even.

I'd say that with a chamonix which is pretty flat when folded you should get 6 holders into the main compartment.. I use a much bigger Tachihara and still manage to put two or three holders in. All the rest of stuff goes into front and side pockets - but I am only making daytrips - I can't imagine squeezing in sleeping gear for an overnighter.

BarryS
25-Sep-2015, 13:43

I use a P3 for my Chamonix 8x10. A single side pocket is easily enough for a water bottle, food, and a small med kit. A couple weeks ago I took the kit shooting and brought along two cascades, but could only fit one in the pack. It might be possible getting two cascades in the main compartment, but it felt like I was going to tear out the zipper. The extra cascade also didn't fit in the rear compartment. I can't remember if that was because I had some other gear in there or if it was too thick--I'll have to check again. I ended up carrying the extra cascade separately--not ideal.

macolive
25-Sep-2015, 15:28
I've just finished hauling my P3 full of Mamiya 7 gear (two bodies, four lenses, filters, film, raingear, water, etc.) around Washington State for 12 days. Once I got the fit right it was simply amazing how good it was. I'd ordered it with what I thought to be the correct torso length, but on a first-day trip to the REI mothership in Seattle I discovered that my measurement was off. It took about 2 minutes to change the torso length, after that it was heaven.

Osprey make a backpack fitting/measuring gadget, any good outdoors store carrying that brand should have one.

Thanks for this info! I used my P3 and it seemed to weigh down on me. When I got back home, I saw this post and when back to Bruce's website, remeasured my torso and made the proper adjustments and went to the REI website and made a few more adjustments ......What a difference! Thanks again!