PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic took a fall

f/stopblues
17-Aug-2014, 20:58
Hello!

My already rough-around-the-edges Speed Graphic took a tumble when the tripod leg and my leg got in a tangle. It hit the deck (carpet) and the back popped off but no other apparent damage. No lens was attached, luckily. I got a new back, but it's not hooking in securely. I suspect the little hook in the photo below is bent upwards, but I'm not sure to what degree. Does anyone happen to have a photo of this piece in normal, pre-trauma condition?

On a side note, few things make me cringe as much as seeing a worthy workhorse of a camera heading for the floor at a rapid pace. I've apologized profusely and baked her cookies, but no response thus far. Also, my photoshop skills should make it obvious that I work in a darkroom instead of a digital workflow. Sorry for the quality!

Jon Shiu
17-Aug-2014, 21:09

f/stopblues
17-Aug-2014, 21:13
Thanks, Jon. It's hard to tell from that angle, but it looks like the top of the hook is more or less flush with rail above it. Does that sound correct?

Jim C.
17-Aug-2014, 21:26
On my Anni Speed that hook for the GG frame is does protrude a tiny bit, but not past the
graflock bars, like what you have pictured.
Mine is also solid, I don't recall it looking like yours and Jon's pictures,
which looks like it's riveted on, Graflex may have changed it in later more recent versions.
There's a risk of it breaking but can you bend it back ?

f/stopblues
17-Aug-2014, 21:30
I'm hoping to bend it back but I wanted to make sure I know where it should be positioned so I only bend it once. It's not working now, so I must take that chance of it breaking. I'm going to use the slow and steady method.. very slow.

Jon Shiu
17-Aug-2014, 21:34
I looks like it just sticks out slightly above the black bar, but maybe you can bend it in stages and test.

Jon

RichSBV
18-Aug-2014, 07:24
Sorry to hear about your camera. I love to fix the old ones up but hate to hear about them getting damaged...

Yes, that hook just barely sticks out slightly above the black bar and it is riveted to the back. I just checked one of mine. The hook is steel and pretty thick. The back isn't... I suppose a whack with a small hammer may bend it back in proper position but it would worry me... At worst, you can very often find the backs fairly cheaply when they don't include the removable section. Easy to replace. Worth a shot to fix though.

Jim C.
18-Aug-2014, 12:47
Shows you how much I pay attention :rolleyes:

This picture may help -

f/stopblues
21-Aug-2014, 06:05
I thought I'd leave an update. The little hooks are surprisingly robust and bent back to their proper position like champs. Barring future disasters, I believe the problem is solved!