PDA

View Full Version : Controlling color print contrast by masking

Stpephen Willlard
26-Oct-1999, 16:07
Does anyone know of any publications that provide instructions on how to mask co lor negative film that have a large contrast range. That is, types of films and methods to use.

Ray Dunn
26-Oct-1999, 20:07
Stephen, I just happened to see a web page with the exact information that you need: www.lightroom.com/pages/masking_97.html. This same site has information on Cibachrome/Ilfochrome Classic as well.

Joel Collins
27-Oct-1999, 14:59
The nature photographer Christopher Burkett uses masking to control the printing of his 8x10 transparancies. He gives a brief overview of his process in his new book (Intimations of Paradise), but he does not go into much detail. He does say that he uses as many as five masks to print a single image. I've seen his 30x40 prints in galleries and they are the best I've ever seen. In his book he also says that he spends 2 months a year photographing and 10 months printing -- so I don't think it's a quick and easy process.

Jeff White
28-Oct-1999, 21:43
The link above has some good information but the Kodak Pan Masking film is only available in 8x10. I use T-Max 100 developed in T-Max RS diluted 1:15.

Paul Schilliger
9-Nov-1999, 08:19
I used to make a first mask to record highlights only on Kodak orthochromatic fi lm, then with this mask on the slide, I would make a second mask on Pan Masking film. This is to p reserve the highlights on the final Ilfochrome print. This method is given on an Ilford technical broc hure. The T-Max films have a slight magenta cast that is difficult to eliminate. The t wo previously mentioned films are neutral. An important issue in masking is the exact positioning of the mask(s) on the sli de. I had resolved the problem by building a perforator that placed two 1,5mm holes on the border of th e films that fitted two pins placed in the enlarger's frames. A lot of work. I have now abandoned this process for the new digital process.

Jeff White
9-Nov-1999, 19:28
If your T-Max is properly fixed and washed it will not have a magenta cast. I have read that different developers may cause different color balances so my first choice was to use the technique that I use for black and white masking and for me the T-Max RS gave me a nuetral colored negative. I also use Photographers Formulary TF-4 fixer, it clears the negative better than any other fixer that I have used.