PDA

View Full Version : Reputable sources for economical/used monorail?

ChrisBCS
16-Aug-2014, 11:41
Hi all, totally new. See intro here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?115754-A-large-format-hopeful!

I was wondering if the community here has a preferred place for purchasing used equipment for budget/learning minded folks.

I would like to go monorail at this time, as, while I will be shooting almost all landscapes, I'm more concerned about learning all the movements and physics than I am saving weight in this beginning stage.

As far as a kit list, I suppose I need to make one...

Jim Noel
16-Aug-2014, 11:47
KEH is a long time dealer who rates his stuff lower than most of us would. Even one at his lowest rating, which would be very economical, will be a good user. Return policy is the best in the business.

David Beal
16-Aug-2014, 11:50
Let's not forget Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo in Columbus. Although they sell a lot of digital stuff they had not forgotten their LF roots.

Heroique
16-Aug-2014, 11:51
I was wondering if the community here has a preferred place for purchasing used equipment for budget/learning minded folks.

As Jim says, KEH in Atlanta is a preferred place for many good reasons.

A search for KEH in the title will bring up remarks that are overwhelmingly positive, and sprinkled with a few criticisms for good measure.

Their BGN grade inspires a lot of confidence around here, as does their friendly Customer Service and generous return policy.

Alan Gales
16-Aug-2014, 12:21
KEH or waiting 30 days and buying from a member of this forum.

If you know what you are looking at then Ebay or possibly your local Craigslist are the cheapest places. Ebay can be a crapshoot especially if you don't understand what you are buying.

mdarnton
16-Aug-2014, 14:18
Where are you located?

David Karp
16-Aug-2014, 14:27
I second Jim at MPEX. Great, honest guy. Gives good advice.

ChrisBCS
16-Aug-2014, 14:45
Thanks folks! I'm in College Station and Austin TX most of the time. I'm hoping to spend <$200 on a used functional body. Doesn't have to be pretty.

mdarnton
16-Aug-2014, 15:19
There are a few sub $200 choices--
Cambo/Calumet; almost contemporary, parts and fittings easy to get, but not very portable
Toyo, Omega; older, harder to find accessory bits, also may not be portable
Graphic View II; very old, tough and compact, not great with wides.

If you're carrying out, some sort of folding camera might be nice, like a B&J Commercial view would be in the price--most are above your budget. All the movements in the world, too. I have the 5x7 size*, that is the camera I go out with (I also have a Cambo which never goes out at all, and the Graphic View II, which is my second choice for taking out because you can't hurt it--I just rack it closed and throw it in one of those fabric grocery bags with some holders, and that's it.)

Everything I have weighs about nine pounds. It seems that the only way to get less weight is to spend more money.

*https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldarnton/13995403977/

Jmarmck
16-Aug-2014, 16:02
Calumet cc-400 is a basic 4x5 used as a beginners camera for many years. While it does not have the smoothness geared operations like the more expensive ones it does have all the movements one would look for in a view camera. You should be able to pick one up just about anywhere for under your price.....less the lens, or maybe with, if you are lucky. You will need a tripod, a couple 4x5 film holders, a lens board with the proper sized hole for the lens/shutter combo you would use. A dark cloth would be handy too and a release system of some sort be it a cable or pneumatic. I am sure I am forgetting something as I am pretty much a n00b too.

Most if not all can be found here but as a new member you are required to wait 30 days before you can access the FS/WTB board. Otherwise KEH is a good source for major gear.

Good luck.

Dan Fromm
16-Aug-2014, 20:01
I've had a Calumet CC-401, second Marty's recommendation for it as a very inexpensive monorail with all the moves. Its one weakness is that it has a fixed bellows, so bag bellows are impossible with it. There are recessed boards for it. For more info on Calumet's CC-40x line, see http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/calumet_2.html. The specs are on pp 8-9. If you shop carefully and patiently you should be able to get a CC-401 in good order for under $100.

I also have 2x3 and 4x5 Cambo SCs. These offer more room to grow than a Calumet CC-40x and are fully modular. For info on them, see http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/cambo_1.html . Also see http://www.cambo.com/, click on photo products, then on traditional 4x5. The SC line had many minor design changes throughout its life. I have a complete black 4x5 and an aluminum original 4x5 standard. The original weighs 4 oz more than the newer ones and its metal shift/swing lock gets in the way of fall more than the newer flimsier plastic ones. If you shop patiently and carefully you should be able to get an SC-2 (that's the 4x5er) in good order for not much over $100. With patience, a replacement pleated bellows can be had for under $50 and so can a bag bellows.

Calumet CC-40x and Cambo SC cameras were used in many studios and have given good service. Neither is the ultimate 4x5 camera but both are very capable and will help you learn what you really like and don't like in a view camera.

FWIW, KEH often undercuts eBay sellers considerably on Cambo boards. I recently got a recessed board for my 2x3er there for $19 plus postage. Hard to believe.

joselsgil
16-Aug-2014, 20:12
Chris,

The Calumet CC400 series are built like a tank and are great beginner's cameras. One step up from the Calumet 400 series, would be a Sinar Alpina or Zone VI monorail camera, they are both the same camera. It was actually made as an inexpensive student camera back in the '80s. One advantage of the Sinar, is that you can find many Sinar accessories that will work with this camera, such as, bag bellows, lens boards, Sinar shutter, ect. I purchased my Zone VI many years ago online for less than $150.

Good luck with your search,

Jose

ChrisBCS
17-Aug-2014, 11:09
Thanks everyone. What about an Omega 45E?

mdarnton
17-Aug-2014, 11:16
Whatever you get, the primary thing, after broken bits, is bellows condition. New bellows can run around $150-180.

MrFujicaman
17-Aug-2014, 13:23
Hey Chris....there are several Calumet 4 by 5 monorails listed on Ebay right now for 100-150. One of them is $100 for buy it now with the carrying case. KEH has a Calumet 402 (the short rail bag bellows model for wide angle for wide angle lenses) that goes off at around 5:30 today PDT.

Jonathan Barlow
19-Aug-2014, 20:59
You should be able to find a Swiss-made Sinar F 4x5 for about $250. Probably the least expensive standard-of-the-industry, refined large format camera available today. Another $30 for film holders, $20 for a lens board, a few hundred for a good lens, less than $100 for an older Gitzo tripod, and whatever film you decide to use.