PDA

View Full Version : Alternative narrow, gallon, sheet film tanks for 8x10

mdarnton
16-Aug-2014, 06:24
I've been using x-ray film in 4x5 and 5x7 and developing with hangers in 1-gallon 5x7 tanks. This is working great, but recently I've moved to 8x10 and want to continue doing it this way. Smaller film one-gallon tanks were easy to find, but now I'm looking for narrow 8x10 tanks and finding nothing.

I don't want a row of 3-1/2 gallon tanks sitting in my laundry room and never would do that much film all at once, anyway. I calculated that a tank about 3" wide for five or so 8x10 hangers would be perfect, and hold a gallon, but it appears that nothing like this has ever been made, so I'm looking for alternatives. Tupperware and similar containers, with their sealing tops, would be nice, and there are some that are almost as big, but not quite. I considered fabricating my own narrow boxes from plastic sheet, but that would be pretty expensive, so it's a last resort.

I remember that in the past there were simple plastic desktop single drawer units about the size of a ream of paper, and throwing out the drawer and using the case on edge would be great, but I'm not finding anything like that online. That's the basic concept I'm looking at, though.

Has anyone found an easily available commercial container like I'm looking for?

TXFZ1
16-Aug-2014, 06:32
Search for bbs member "vinny", he has some listed as a product.

David

vinny
16-Aug-2014, 07:44
What he said:)
I've got a busy next few weeks and I'm not sure I have any ready to ship right now but send me an email with what you need and I'll get back to you. Look under "products for the photographer" on my website.

mdarnton
16-Aug-2014, 09:43
Thanks, all!

Degroto
16-Aug-2014, 09:49
I love developing 8x10 in the codrums size drums. It is also perfect for x-ray double sided emulsion.

mdarnton
16-Aug-2014, 10:07
What is a codrum size drum? Google says nothing. Near as I can see "codrum" isn't even a word!

joselsgil
16-Aug-2014, 20:24
Have you tried developing the x-ray film in a tray?

Since you can develop with the red safety light on, it is not too difficult to do.

mdarnton
16-Aug-2014, 21:06
From what I hear, developing x-ray film in trays is not nearly as happy as I have it in hangers. I have no desire to enter that hell.

Chuck Pere
17-Aug-2014, 08:33
They did make narrow 8x10 1 gal stainless tanks. Mine are approx 2 1/2 in wide. I got them at Darkroom Aids many years ago. Remember them. I also used the bottom of narrow plastic file storage boxes for water processing steps. These need too much liquid to use for chemical steps. Those narrow 8x10 stainless tanks may be hard to find and expensive so Vinny offers the best option.

mdarnton
17-Aug-2014, 08:40
Darkroom Aids--just drove past there yesterday. Miss that place.

Luis-F-S
17-Aug-2014, 09:07
Ledall & California Stainless has made 1 gal 8x10 stainless tanks for years

Jim Noel
17-Aug-2014, 09:32
I love developing 8x10 in the codrums size drums. It is also perfect for x-ray double sided emulsion.

I give up, what is a "codrums size drum?"

Tin Can
11-Oct-2014, 20:02
I found them on eBay, they do show up.

Put a watched search for darkroom stainless tanks.

I also have the big ones, and they are too big. Paid the same price for 1 gallon or 3.5 gallon.

mdarnton
12-Oct-2014, 06:26
Ultimately I bought Vinny's, which are great. I saw a SS set the other day on Ebay, and they went rather high. Then at the Office Max last week I saw exactly what I'd been looking for, for $10 each, but the plastic was quite thin, and I'm not too sure how they'd handle the water weight. I may go back and buy one or two as wash or stop tanks, anyway.