PDA

View Full Version : Okay, where's the catch in this deal?

donteatmemountainlion
14-Aug-2014, 19:26
I missed out on this deal, but what's up with this...what a price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shen-Hao-HZX45-IIA-4x5-camera-Cherry-wood-Mint-Condition-/321488527835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ada35a1db

It's a bargain at twice that price, no?

JerryP
14-Aug-2014, 19:50
Well, it's just the body so you will need a lens. No info on condition except "Mint Condition." Seller seems to like that phrase on some of his other items. You could be looking at a new bellows, new ground glass/Fresnel, and, of course, the lens. Or you could be looking at a seller that hasn't figured out pricing yet. You will only know by buying it. If it's not to your liking, flip it.

donteatmemountainlion
14-Aug-2014, 19:55
Yeah, but that body goes for 2x that. And if he says 'mint' it should be or his rep will get knocked. I shoulda bought and flipped, but got there too late. Was just curious if there was something that made that particular camera go for $500 less than every other one of those on the market.

richardman
15-Aug-2014, 03:33
May be he needs the money. May be he got it "for free."

polyglot
15-Aug-2014, 04:03
They go for twice that new. Secondhand, not so much. Price is about right, IMHO. Slightly cheap but certainly not half price.

uphereinmytree
15-Aug-2014, 04:56
I had one of those and can say it's not worth any more than that price. Maybe the one I had was a bad copy, but they aren't really that high quality. and not very precise.

donteatmemountainlion
15-Aug-2014, 06:12
Wow, thanks. I'm still new to all this, learning what's out there, and was surprised. Interesting to hear the comments, thanks.

mdarnton
15-Aug-2014, 06:24
I've bought quite a few thing on Ebay this way. The other day, for instance, I got three virtually-new 8x10 film holders for $60, and before that a 305mm Repro-Claron in shutter for just over $100. You just have to keep your eyes open. Often there are things that seem underpriced, and I've built my whole rig that way. I've noticed that often they're from antique stores that really don't understand the market (the holders), and other times from photographers dumping a whole lot of personal stuff that's probably long ago depreciated down to nothing, all at once (the Claron). Right now there's a Berlebach tripod, model not specified, older, I think, but in good shape, Berlebach misspelled (search wooden tripod), for $100, and I wonder why it's been up as a buy-it-now for three days already.

One way to "win" on Ebay is to look for bad photos and bad descriptions. I've taken that risk quite a few times, always for less than $100, and it's worked out very well. No risk, no gain. :-)

ImSoNegative
15-Aug-2014, 07:03
my pentax digital spot meter I got for 125.00 on ebay, it looked almost new, I have had it now for about 5 years, it had just been listed and 125 was the BIN price, talk about being at the right place at the right time. : ))

ImSoNegative
15-Aug-2014, 07:07
i also have one of those cameras and they can be a pain because of the base tilts which i really don't care for, and if you shoot any lens over 300 things can get really weird because of what you have to do with the front standard, but on the good side i can shoot a 75mm without a bag or recessed board and still get movements