PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Tri X 8X10?

koh303
14-Aug-2014, 17:39
Looking to get 8X10 TriX, i know it is still being cut, but no one has any...???

I emailed KB Canham but got no response.

Can anyone advise as to where to find any?

koh303
14-Aug-2014, 17:42
never mind - just found this:
http://www.adorama.com/KK416481010.html

koh303
14-Aug-2014, 17:51
OK scratch that too - its out of stock there as well...

Just spoke to Keith Canham, TriX is on order, but no exact ETA yet.

Rayt
14-Aug-2014, 18:45
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this question. I have never shot TXP before mainly due to the Kodak description that it is for studio lighting. Is this a general purpose film good for outdoors?

Daniel Stone
14-Aug-2014, 18:46
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this question. I have never shot TXP before mainly due to the Kodak description that it is for studio lighting. Is this a general purpose film good for outdoors?

Works great :)

koh303
14-Aug-2014, 20:11

Merry ellen mark shoots only TXP, if that answers your question.

Where did you read that TXP is for studio lighting use?

polyglot
14-Aug-2014, 21:38
TXP has a slightly up-swept H-D curve, so you need to be a little careful with your metering around the highlights. Absolutely no reason you can't use it in natural light though.

BradS
14-Aug-2014, 21:39
Works great :)

+1

danno@cnwl.igs
15-Aug-2014, 06:01
Try here:

http://www.amazon.ca/Kodak-Tri-X-Professional-Black-Sheets/dp/B001BMKLBO/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1407606628&sr=8-15&keywords=kodak+tri-x

Sheldon N
15-Aug-2014, 20:25
I emailed Keith in February and he had a couple boxes of 8x10 Tri-X 400 in stock, 10 sheets for $91 plus shipping.

Too rich for my blood, I'm shooting Arista EDU Ultra at just over $2/sheet.

Sal Santamaura
15-Aug-2014, 20:41
I emailed Keith in February and he had a couple boxes of 8x10 Tri-X 400 in stock...I think you mean 320TXP, not 400, which isn't offered in sheet sizes.

Sal Santamaura
18-Aug-2014, 19:46
Looking to get 8X10 TriX...Can anyone advise as to where to find any?B&H got some today, but not a lot. Only 16 boxes in stock at this moment:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533812-USA/Kodak_8179707_TXP_4164_8x10_Tri_X.html

koh303
19-Aug-2014, 08:47
all gone :(

koh303
19-Aug-2014, 08:48

This looks like its in stock -

Sal Santamaura
19-Aug-2014, 09:05

This looks like its in stock -Yes, looks like 105 boxes left there at this moment.

Neal Chaves
19-Aug-2014, 15:28
I have been using Ilford HP5+ for some time, since TXP became scarce and then expensive. After careful testing, I concluded that HP5+ is an identical clone of TXP. I use the same exposure and devlopment schemes for HP5+ that I worked out and used for TXP. For "normal" negatives, try rating HP5+ at 100 and develop in HC110B 68* for 5:00 in a tray. For higher speed, an excellent negative of just slightly shorter scale, but still quite "normal", will result from rating HP5+ at 400 and tray developing for 7:30 in HC110B 68*.

Drew Wiley
19-Aug-2014, 16:28
I don't see how anyone can call HP5 AND TriX even remotely identical. The grain structure and even the curve are different. A whole different look.

Sal Santamaura
21-Aug-2014, 15:55
all gone :(Another 52 boxes just became available at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533812-USA/Kodak_8179707_TXP_4164_8x10_Tri_X.html

and Adorama must have gotten more in too. There are 108 boxes now available there:

Neal Chaves
22-Aug-2014, 15:42
I don't see how anyone can call HP5 AND TriX even remotely identical. The grain structure and even the curve are different. A whole different look.

I don't have any TXP left, and I am not going to buy any more at today's prices, or I would make a comparison. I used it for years in several formats and with several developers, working up my own exosure and development procedures for expansion and contraction by plotting curves, measuring densities and making proof prints. I tried and rejected the TMAX films due to the skewed curve shapes in conventional developers and the poorly separated mid-tones in the TMAX Developer. I feel I know what I am looking at, but even if I am mistaken, the results with HP5+ please me and that is what matters most.

Developer choice and development method can alter film curves and grain appearance so that they are not even remotely identical. If someone with fresh TXP and HP5+ would try my suggested times in HC110B and make straight prints of the same scene which show a significant difference between the two films as far as the viewing experience is concerned, I would be very interested.

Jim Andrada
24-Aug-2014, 13:39
Hi Neal

I'm up for the experiment. Can you PM me with your HC110B times - or better yet, post them in the thread?

Neal Chaves
25-Aug-2014, 12:55
I develop in trays. I abandoned tanks and hangers because of uneven development and when I learned that if I shuffled carefully I would seldom scratch a negative. Now I will only shuffle four to six 4X5s at a time and do only single sheets of 8X10. I recently bought a "Slosher" for 8X10 and intend to buy one for 4x5, but have not tried it yet. When I develop a stack of films, I conditition them first in a water bath and bring over the whole stack to the developer tray. I reverse the top sheet so I can feel by the notches when it is back on top again. When I pre-soak, I add thirty seconds to the development time. Single sheets I just push down into the developer emulsion side up. I shuffle and agitate stacks slowly but continuously and single sheets for the first thirty seconds and then five seconds every thirty seconds thereafter.

With HC110B (1:31) at 68* and TXP or HP5+, my time for a normal negative is 5:00 when film is rated at 100, and 7:30 when film is rated at 400. I expand and contract by varying HC110 dilution and keep all else constant. I adjust film speeds up and down for the N+ and N- negatives. I determined those speeds expermentally with careful testing. I found that when I dilute, I have to use at least 1/2 oz. of concentrate for each 8X10 sheet or four 4X5s.

In the 1980s, When I produced many overly dense negatives using long exposures using Kodak recommended receprocity failure corrections, I did my own tests and found no failure out thirty seconds. Of course your development times and film speeds may well be different than mine, so it is best to do your own tests.

I start with a test for the Dmax developing time with fully exposed sheets in room light, pulling a sheet out from the stack and into the stop bath every thirty seconds for the four minutes around the suspected developing time. When I have the time for a good Dmax, (This will depend on your printing method, enlarger type, and your personal taste) I will do a film speed test strip in the camera by pulling the slide a half inch at a time of the white side of the house in full sun. I make a "proper proof" of that negative and pick off the best Zone VIII rendering. When I took the photojournalism course at Boston University in the 1970s, a good Dmax for a 35mm negative to be printed on grade 3 paper in a condenser enlarger would just allow a viewer in bright light to read newpaper type through a negative pressed upon the paper. Today, I prefer much more Dmax density, at least two stops, for diffusion printing on grade 2 paper.

Robert Kalman
1-Sep-2014, 08:14
Another 52 boxes just became available at B&H

and Adorama must have gotten more in too. There are 108 boxes now available there:

Thank you VERY much for this alert, Sal. I had been waiting to be "automatically" informed as to when 8x10 Tri-X would be available at B&H, but never got any word...

Sal Santamaura
1-Sep-2014, 08:30
Thank you VERY much for this alert, Sal. I had been waiting to be "automatically" informed as to when 8x10 Tri-X would be available at B&H, but never got any word...You're welcome. Did you just buy four boxes? I don't track Adorama, but B&H's stock on hand went down from 43 to 39 boxes a couple of minutes ago. :)

Robert Kalman
1-Sep-2014, 11:28
You're welcome. Did you just buy four boxes? I don't track Adorama, but B&H's stock on hand went down from 43 to 39 boxes a couple of minutes ago. :)

Yes, I did. How are you able to track the inventory??

Daniel Stone
1-Sep-2014, 15:20
Yes, I did. How are you able to track the inventory??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUY7YvoXAM&feature=youtu.be

Sal Santamaura
1-Sep-2014, 15:34
Yes, I did. How are you able to track the inventory??Exactly how Dan's video demonstrated it. Thanks Dan! Sometimes it pays for me to be away from the forum for a while. :)

StoneNYC
1-Sep-2014, 17:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUY7YvoXAM&feature=youtu.be

Clever...

Robert Kalman
2-Sep-2014, 17:01
Thanks for the demo, Dan. Sorry to be dense about this. So, it's just a matter of typing in a high number and scaling back until they clear the item for a sale? (If there was an audio portion, it didn't come through).

Daniel Stone
2-Sep-2014, 17:14
Hey Robert,
On the audio: Sometime Youtube(or embedded youtube videos) will turn off/mute the audio. This is usually related to one's internet settings. I know it happens to me sometimes. If the little speaker symbol next to the play button(bottom left corner) has a line through it, click it so you can adjust the volume with the slider.
But yes, put in the desired quantity, and if it exceeds their available threshold, then just scale back/update the page until the notice goes away.
-Dan

Tim Povlick
2-Sep-2014, 18:25
Does Tri-X use the old school emulsion or Tmax type? Sorry for simple question but I've read both answers on the web.

(Apologies for hi-jacking the thread but as it is answered already seems not so rude).

Tim

Oren Grad
2-Sep-2014, 18:55
Does Tri-X use the old school emulsion or Tmax type?

Neither. It's an updated version of the traditional TXT/TXP emulsion. But it's not a T-grain emulsion.

Tin Can
2-Sep-2014, 20:27
This trick works on many websites. I find I often find the limit on many items.

A second good trick is keep upping the number of units desired of anything to find the sweet spot for shipping cost.

I use that system when ordering heavy items like gallons of TF5. Shipping is often a major part of the cost of purchase of heavy items. Seems 4 gallons of TF5 is much cheaper per unit than 1 or 2 gallons.

Hey Robert,
On the audio: Sometime Youtube(or embedded youtube videos) will turn off/mute the audio. This is usually related to one's internet settings. I know it happens to me sometimes. If the little speaker symbol next to the play button(bottom left corner) has a line through it, click it so you can adjust the volume with the slider.
But yes, put in the desired quantity, and if it exceeds their available threshold, then just scale back/update the page until the notice goes away.
-Dan

Tim Povlick
3-Sep-2014, 18:58
Neither. It's an updated version of the traditional TXT/TXP emulsion. But it's not a T-grain emulsion.

Many Thanks Oren.

I'll give a couple boxes a go.

Tim

Sal Santamaura
7-Sep-2014, 06:58
B&H update. Since the Web site resumed taking orders last evening (I'd checked status during the day), 29 boxes were purchased. Just seven left now.