PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao 5x7?

Nick_3536
13-Nov-2004, 11:30
I'd like to ask a couple of questions to those currently using this camera.

1) How wide does it go? The Shen Hao website lists two different min bellows extensions. 115mm and I think 60mm. Which is it? If it's 115mm is a recessed board available?

2) How complicated are the flat boards? Any chance I can make my own?

3) Is there a 4x5 back? Graflok?

4) Any thing you don't like about it?

5) How bright is the ground glass?

sanking
13-Nov-2004, 14:54
I'd like to ask a couple of questions to those currently using this camera.

1) How wide does it go? The Shen Hao website lists two different min bellows extensions. 115mm and I think 60mm. Which is it? If it's 115mm is a recessed board available?

With the standard bellows it is possible to focus a 90mm lens at infinity.

2) How complicated are the flat boards? Any chance I can make my own?

Very simple. The small ones that go in the adaptor are same size as the small Linhoff boards.

3) Is there a 4x5 back? Graflok?

There is a 4X5 back. Pretty sure it is Graflok comptatible but not positive.

4) Any thing you don't like about it?

Fairly heavy. But very sturdy and rigid.

5) How bright is the ground glass?

Seems fine to me. It probably is not as bright as some of the speciality ground glasses but one could always replace the existing one, or just put a fresnel on the back.

Michael Veit
13-Nov-2004, 16:54
Sandy,

Since you mention "standard bellows," does that mean bag bellows are available? I've got the 4x5 flavor with both standard and bag bellows, and am thinking of moving up to 5x7.

Thanks,

-Michael

sanking
13-Nov-2004, 19:53
"Since you mention "standard bellows," does that mean bag bellows are available? I've got the 4x5 flavor with both standard and bag bellows, and am thinking of moving up to 5x7."

If you go the Shen-Hao web site you will see that one of the images of the 5X7 camera shows it with a bag bellows so I am assuming that one is available, though I don't see one listed elsewhere at the site.

Nick_3536
13-Nov-2004, 22:45
90mm would be perfect for me. It's what around 9lbs? Assuming it folds up into a reasonable size the weights okay.

Thanks

sanking
17-Nov-2004, 21:03
"90mm would be perfect for me. It's what around 9lbs? Assuming it folds up into a reasonable size the weights okay."

The weight of my 5X7 Shen-Hao is slightly less than 9 lbs. It folds up to 10.0" X 10.75"X 4.5", including knobs and other extensions.

Nick_3536
18-Nov-2004, 06:16
Thanks. I asked them about the 4x5 back and it's around $110.