PDA

View Full Version : Taking Film on an Aeroplane?

Omega
14-Aug-2014, 15:36
Well as the title will no doubt as, is it possible to get 4x5 sheet film threw the TSA on the way out from America. What i am worried about is the film getting hazy due to the X-Ray machines used to scan carry on luggage. So is it possible?

The films in question are:
- Kodak Ektar 100
- Fuji Velvia 100
- and passably some Porta 160 and Fuji Provia 100F

Would these film survive the X-Rays from a carry on Scanner, or would it haze up the film.
Also from what i understand, the film is safe as long as the packets inside the box stays sealed. Am i correct about this?

Also worst case, if i (well actually my mother) do take some film threw the TSA, how would i prevent a unknowing TSA agent from ripping open the bag of film?

Or should i have the film shipped via FedEx or some other postal service?

I am also asking since i want to take a 4x5 camera (and some medium format) + film from Germany to the us next year.

Oh, and if you guys want to know how many X-Ray machines the film will most likely pass threw, the answer is a possible maximum of 6. And ideally only 1 (best case)

Also if, you the reader is wondering why i would like to buy film from the US, instead of Germany (were i currently reside). The answer is very simple, sheet film is quit expensive in Germany, a box of Velvia 100 costs about 100 euros + shipping, were a box of velvia 100 from the US costs about 60 euros. (more or less) other example Ektar 100, 50 euros per box in Germany, and about 20 from the US.

If it is too risky i will order the film from a German dealer instead of getting it from the US via B and H.

Kirk Gittings
14-Aug-2014, 15:39
Having had some issues that I felt could only have come from xrays, I send my film separately via Fed Ex-no problems since.

chris_4622
14-Aug-2014, 15:53
You could ship it via FedEx but you will have to look into the cost. I thought it would be better to ship film to Italy when I went and it ended up costing me a lot. Not only to ship but Customs Officials charged me a lot, as much as it cost to ship it. For what it cost me in shipping and duties I could have bought it in Italy and not have the headaches. Next time I will just carry it with me.

If you carry the film, don't put it in a lead bag. The last time I carried it on I told the TSA agent as I was putting it on the cart that it was film. I haven't had any problems with 100 iso.

Drew Wiley
14-Aug-2014, 15:57
We're having nightmares with FedEx around here. TSA handlers just steal stuff. Fed Ex seems to think that air shipment means throwing you box out of a plane
from seven thousand feet up.

Nicolasllasera
14-Aug-2014, 16:19
Take it with you. Seriously. Customs at Italy have a name for making stuff disapper. Also the cost of importing. I've gone around the world with film and never had problems.

Nicolasllasera
14-Aug-2014, 16:22
I live in Spain and travel from the USA to Spain with film. Also my Florida family brings film to me when I need it. Just let them know that scanning is ok. But not opening it. Always travel with new boxes as new seals give TSA officers a good vibe.

Hugo Zhang
14-Aug-2014, 16:22
Have you considered this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=185375&gclid=CNayh-Xyk8ACFSbl7Aod72UA0A&is=REG&Q=&A=details

rcmartins
14-Aug-2014, 16:46
Is it a bad option to put the film inside a lead bag within the luggage that goes on the belly of the airplane?
raul

Omega
14-Aug-2014, 16:50
8I have actually considered getting one or two of them to protect the film while in the actual Aeroplane. However my concern is that the TSA might want to open the film boxes if i were to store them inside a opaque bag (for the X-ray machine).

Knowing how much radiation is present at transatlantic flight.

Rayt
14-Aug-2014, 18:43
For roll film I usually ask for hand inspection in countries that allow it. For sheet film I just let them go through the carry on scanner. I don't want to be in a position where I need to explain to some security personnel someone who has never see sheet film why I can't open up the box for inspection.

BradS
14-Aug-2014, 21:54
Just carry the film in your carry on bag and let it go through the scanner at security.

I've travelled the world with film and have made many flights into and out of many airports. I used to ask for hand inspection and they will do it in the USA but, it is frankly not worth the trouble, and worse, some of these TSA agents have no idea what film is. They want to open the box and look inside....In Spain, asking security to do a physical inspection of you film, bypassing the xray machine will get you in some trouble...even if you do ask in proper (latin american) spanish.

On several trips, I've run tests. I take two sheets of film, expose them both identically. Leave one at home and carry one with me..letting it go through the xray machines with my carry on bag(s). When I get home, I develop both sheets together in one drum....I've done this many times and have never seen any noticible difference. Even after a trip with several international stops. It just isn't an issue anymore.

So again, the best thing to do all around the world is...
Just put the film in your carry on bage and let it go through the scanner with your carry on baggage. Do not worry about it. It will all be fine.

What ever you do, Do not put the film in the checked baggage!

alavergh
14-Aug-2014, 21:55
They make changing bags and tents for loading film. Is there a TSA office that you can call at the airport? It seems as though they should be able to use a changing back to feel around a little to their hearts content as long as you have the film in the foil package. Maybe have an empty box containing the same stuff but no film so you can explain before going into the bag?

BradS
14-Aug-2014, 21:57
They make changing bags and tents for loading film. Is there a TSA office that you can call at the airport? It seems as though they should be able to use a changing back to feel around a little to their hearts content as long as you have the film in the foil package. Maybe have an empty box containing the same stuff but no film so you can explain before going into the bag?

I've done that too. You do not need to call ahead. They train with a bag like a changing bag. Some TSA agents are really cool with this. However, one time the TSA agent pulled his arms out of the bag without putting the film back in the box! So, again, it very simply isn't worth it. Just let it go through the scanner with your carry on items and do not worry about it.

BradS
14-Aug-2014, 22:02
Is it a bad option to put the film inside a lead bag within the luggage that goes on the belly of the airplane?
raul

YES. Bad idea.

David Swinnard
15-Aug-2014, 17:28
In June I traveled to England and Ireland from Vancouver with roll film in a lead bag that I obtained many years ago and none of the screening agents in Vancouver, Heathrow, or Dublin batted an eye. (This was carry-on bag, NOT CHECKED) The Vancouver lady just said, "oh, film in a lead bag..." and passed it along without comment. Similar, without the comments, at the other two, both in and out.

It was in a backpack full of Hasselblad gear and nobody raised an eye, but they did run the carry-on with the "in case they lose my bag clothing" a few times puzzling things out.

No issues on the film at all (Acros)

sanking
15-Aug-2014, 20:00
Just carry the film in your carry on bag and let it go through the scanner at security.

[/U]

+1 to this, and to the rest of what Brad wrote.

Tim Meisburger
16-Aug-2014, 04:11
+2

I travel for a living. Just don't forget and put it in your checked bag! Security guys are much more confused by my cameras. If you call attention to your film they will just want to open it. Just send it through the scanner.

cdavis324
16-Aug-2014, 06:59
The TSA agents at the NYC area airports all seem to know what film is (even sheet film) and are fine to do a hand check. Just make sure to ask them to wait until you get through security til they start swabbing your stuff. That way you can tell them to stop if they try to open the boxes. I travel a bit, and alternate between sending film fedex(or even priority mail), getting hand checks, and just putting it through the scanner. The one thing that really pisses off tsa agents is putting a lead bag of film through the xray machine(don't ask how I know!). If you do put the film through the machine, pull it out of your bag and put it in it's own bin. The only time I've seen xray damage was on a few sheets that went though the scanner in a camera bag and were underexposed.

Lead bags are really for preventing damage to film while in the air - and I have only used them on very long trips... apparently the radiation at high altitudes can slowly fog film.

jnantz
16-Aug-2014, 07:17
dont go through basel / mulhouse ...
they refuse to hand inspect ( first time this happened to me in 5-6 times in this airport ... )

Jim Andrada
16-Aug-2014, 09:02
+1 (or more) on "just leave it in your carry on bag and don't worry about it"

Only time I had film fogged (badly) was flying out of Auckland NZ in 1986. We'd taken a lot of photos and decided to wait to get them processed in Sydney. Bad choice. But times (and X-ray machines) have changed.

I've carried 8 x 10 film from Tokyo to Tucson several times. No problem! But, as people are saying, DO NOT put film in your checked baggage. The X-Ray machines are MUCH stronger. And it might give them an excuse to open your bag and rummage around in your stuff. And if you're connecting through Milan you probably won't see your checked baggage for a few days anyhow. We got to Rome with what we were wearing, period. Luggage caught up with us in a "town" of 60 people in Umbria a few days later. Our friends just shrugged and said it was almost the norm and we should just think of it as a free luggage delivery service. I won't forget the nice young Alitalia lady in Rome shrugging her shoulders and saying that baggage ALWAYS goes missing in Milan, so why were we getting excited?