PDA

View Full Version : Pentax Spotmeter V exposure dial came off

JerryP
12-Aug-2014, 15:07
This seems to be a not uncommon problem with the analog Pentax Spotmeter V, but the dial came off. Apparently the nuts on the inside came off, I can hear at least one rattling around inside. I've seen the posts about opening it up, and that may be what I end up doing. My question is what would be wrong with placing a couple of drops of super glue on the metal piece facing the body (the piece that has the 2 posts that the nuts go onto) as the method of attachment? I would appreciate any advice this group could give.

Jerry

JerryP
12-Aug-2014, 21:53
It probably wouldn't hold anyway, what with being twisted and all. Bad idea.

Leszek Vogt
12-Aug-2014, 21:58
Don't have enough experience with the analog meter, but I'd jump in the car and go to Quality Light Metric (LA) and see what they can do.

Les

JerryP
13-Aug-2014, 00:33
Yeah, George rewired and calibrated my Weston Ranger9 for $85 about a year ago. Quality work. But I think I might crack the meter open using some prior posts here for direction. Stay tuned.
Jerry

summers_jm
13-Aug-2014, 05:29
I had the same issue where my exposure dial came off. I did the same thing you are suggesting, I removed the screw from behind the serial number tag, unscrewed the eye-ring and took the cover off. I then found both small bolts, screwed them back on, and put two small drops of superglue to keep them from coming off again. I let the cover dry overnight and then reassembled. I haven't had anymore issues with the dial coming off.

JerryP
13-Aug-2014, 10:26
This sounds like a better place for a drop of superglue than I was suggesting. Thanks.

JerryP
13-Aug-2014, 11:43
OK, the serial number tag ain't coming off. Tried to pry it off with a small knife, no good. Then I unscrewed the eyepiece and tried to remove the ring holding the eyepiece on. No good. My spanner wrench is no match for the stubborn Spotmeter V eye-ring. Aside from any further advice, I think it's time to find a backup meter on Ebay and have this one fixed by George at Quality Light-Metric, unless Richard Ritter could be a better choice. I don't know what he would charge to go through my Spotmeter V, but George Milton did a wonderful job on my Weston Ranger9 very reasonably.

HMG
13-Aug-2014, 13:46
I wonder if a bit of heat (carefully applied soldering iron) might help with the s/n tag.

JerryP
15-Aug-2014, 21:48
I think I'll let an expert do that, but thanks for all the input.

Jerry

lab black
15-Aug-2014, 22:40
+1 Quality Light Metric did a great job of repairing my meter with the same problem

JerryP
20-Oct-2014, 18:26
QUICK UPDATE: I sent the meter to Richard Ritter for repair and callibration. Got an email today, it's ready and very reasonably priced. Hope to have it back this week.
Jerry