PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new tripod head

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 16:16
Since suffering a back injury that has radically limited the weight I can carry, I'm doing my best to lighten the loads I can carry. In LF, I've switched over to a Walker Titan XL (since I shoot primarily landscapes and wide angles), a carbon fiber tripod, and I carry no more than 2 lenses at a time. The problem I'm having now is that the pan/tilt tripod head I'm using is very heavy. I know most people don't like to use ballheads for LF, but the majority of them are much, much lighter than the pan/tilt heads.
I had pretty my decided on one of the new Pro Gold heads from Photo Clam, but I've read horrible things about their customer service (being non-existent or never responding to customer queries), so I've ruled that out. Then there is the very light Markins Q3 head and the Arca Swiss P0.
Any solid recommendations for these or others? Alternatively, is there anywhere out there a 3-way PT in the same weight class as these that I'm not aware of?
THANKS!

Peter De Smidt
11-Aug-2014, 16:44
You might look into FLM heads. http://www.flmcanada.com/ball-heads.html Ari, a regular here, is the Canadian distributor. Some of them are a type of hybrid ball head, having a locking axis on the ball.

Alan Gales
11-Aug-2014, 17:00
I'm a ballhead hater but some photographers like them and use them all the time for large format. I really sympathize with you about your back. I had a back fusion in 1994 and as I age it gets harder and harder to do things. I use a Ries J100 with double tilt head but I don't wander far from my Jeep. Absolutely no hiking even without gear. I pull my Wehman in a Klein cordura tool bag with big wheels. As much as I love my Ries I may eventually go with carbon fiber. You do what you have to do.

Best regards,

Alan

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 17:01
Thanks very much. Yes, I did that last week and had all but decided on one of the FLM heads as they really shine on paper. And then I read this report conducted in Germany which stated that one of their top models had in fact failed the tests they subjected a total of 30 some odd heads to. The test report can be found here:
http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/ballhead/ballheads4.php#markins
So I immediately started looking at other options. It's always good to hear of people's own personal experience with the equipment and with customer service (a big one!) if and when something goes wrong. The Arca Swiss heads have received the highest accolades from many users. I'm just not sure I would be happy with the way the P0 is constructed (the lightest model they have). And the Markins have a new type of screw knob to hold the plate, and I'm always a bit wary of really new things that haven't been tried and tested for a while in the field.

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 17:05
Very sorry to hear about your back problems, Alan! I can empathize completely! Agony!!!
I've never used a ballhead before at all. My photog life has been restricted to MF and LF, always with a 3-way PT, but that is way too heavy now. I looked at several of the Ries heads too and they look fantastic. Problem is they're about double the weight of what I already use.

Alan Gales
11-Aug-2014, 17:07
I hate ball heads because they move all over the place. The FLM's that Peter recommends are not like that due to the locks. Ari is a great guy. I'm sure you will enjoy talking to him.

Alan Gales
11-Aug-2014, 17:18
My problem was due to working sheet metal and the way my back was formed at birth. Heavy construction work and birth defects unfortunately do not mix well.

I had always wanted a ballhead and then finally bought one for use with a medium format camera and DSLR. I ended up hating it and quickly sold it. We all have our likes and dislikes.

Yes, anything that says Ries on it is heavy. The same goes with Linhof. :)

Leszek Vogt
11-Aug-2014, 17:35
I, too, think that Arca Swiss kicks butt. Excluding my personal view, you might get your answer at Sammy's (hands on).

Les

Ari
11-Aug-2014, 17:45
Thanks, Alan and Peter, for those hearty recommendations.

I'm happy to suggest FLM because I came by them first as a customer.
If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

This might provide you with some good reading, and help you narrow down your choices: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8192473209/battle-of-the-titans-top-ball-heads-tested

But ball heads are not for everybody; I swore them off for a long time before discovering the FLM heads.
And if ball heads are not your bag, a lot of people here swear by the Manfrotto geared head for LF work; the smallest of them weighs only 1,2kg and should support your gear.

Bill_1856
11-Aug-2014, 18:08
Linhof #3663 is a near-perfect answer. Very light, with individual motion of all three axis. The only deterrent is its incredibly high cost, even used.

cowanw
11-Aug-2014, 18:21
Acratech might be an alternative with their cut out design. they come in at about a pound of weight.

William Whitaker
11-Aug-2014, 18:59
...I shoot primarily landscapes and wide angles...

Is it safe to assume that your camera is usually level? Do you need a tripod head at all? If so, then would a simple leveling head work and save you some weight?

Tony Ilardi
11-Aug-2014, 19:36
I second the Acratech ultimate ball head. I use it with an Ebony RW45. Rock solid.

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 20:11
Is it safe to assume that your camera is usually level? Do you need a tripod head at all? If so, then would a simple leveling head work and save you some weight?

I'd say 80% of the time it's level, so I'd thought of a Linhof-style leveling head as well. But there are those times when I need the camera pointed down into the creeks / ground, and that's a bit tough without a good platform that can accommodate the angles. But that would have been a great option otherwise. Ideally, there should be an accurate Ries-type double-tilt rock-solid platform that will support anything at any angle at under 500 grams. I know; I'm dreaming.

Richard Johnson
11-Aug-2014, 20:12
I like the FLM heads because they can isolate movement to one axis and are extremely well built. I wouldn't worry about an outlier report, many other photographers love them. The Really Right Stuff heads are excellent as well, as is the Linhof 3-way mentioned. All will be relatively expensive compared to Chinese made.

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 20:14
I second the Acratech ultimate ball head. I use it with an Ebony RW45. Rock solid.
Thanks! The Acratech GP is another option I've been seriously looking at. They have a great reputation, fantastic customer service (at least from what I've read), and their ball heads appear to be rock solid. Oh, and they're located in Pomona, California, which is just a short drive away. Many people, including Alan (see above) absolutely hate using ball heads with LF. I've never used one, so at the moment it's a bit difficult for me to imagine what the experience is like. I'm so used to the 3-way pan-tilt heads, but the one I have is heavier than the tripod! Why can't the manufacturers reduce the weight. So any frustrations with the Ebony on a ball head so far?

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 20:17
I like the FLM heads because they can isolate movement to one axis and are extremely well built. I wouldn't worry about an outlier report, many other photographers love them. The Really Right Stuff heads are excellent as well, as is the Linhof 3-way mentioned. All will be relatively expensive compared to Chinese made.It would be nice to hear more first-hand user reports re the FLM heads. I'd very seriously considered the CB38 they make, before I read the German test report. OTOH, my needs are fairly restricted because 95% of what I do is landscape. These millimeter shifts etc. wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'll see if I can find additional reports or user opinions on the FLMs.
There's a very positive review of the FLM CB38 here:
http://www.daveparryphotography.co.uk/flm-cb38f-tripod-ballhead-review
THANKS!

Alan Gales
11-Aug-2014, 20:22
Linhof #3663 is a near-perfect answer. Very light, with individual motion of all three axis. The only deterrent is its incredibly high cost, even used.

Well, Bill, I guess I'll have to eat crow on that one. Everything Linhof I have handled has been heavy but extremely well made. :)

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 20:31
Well, Bill, I guess I'll have to ear crow on that one. Everything Linhof I have handled has been heavy but extremely well made. :)That's been my experience too. Incredible engineering, especially their LF camera systems.

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 20:33
I, too, think that Arca Swiss kicks butt. Excluding my personal view, you might get your answer at Sammy's (hands on). On all forums I've visited, I've heard nothing but praise for the AS. Their cube looks very attractive - but very pricey, too - and HEAVY! Since I've never used a ball head before, I have no idea what I might be getting myself into as there are really quite a number of people who absolutely detest them.

Les

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 20:35
I hate ball heads because they move all over the place. The FLM's that Peter recommends are not like that due to the locks. Ari is a great guy. I'm sure you will enjoy talking to him. The FLM's are starting to look more and more appealing because of the features you've mentioned. There's also a very positive review here:
http://www.daveparryphotography.co.uk/flm-cb38f-tripod-ballhead-review

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 20:40
Man thanks! As I mentioned previously, I'd pretty much narrowed down my choice to the Arca Swiss P0 or the FLM CB38 - until I read the very negative report (see link in previous post) from a German site that tested about 35 different ball heads. On the other hand, I've read several really positive reports too, and the features mentioned by Alan (isolating axis movements) seem very appealing. I'm hoping to read more positive reviews from actual users (like this one: http://www.daveparryphotography.co.uk/flm-cb38f-tripod-ballhead-review)
Thanks, Alan and Peter, for those hearty recommendations.

I'm happy to suggest FLM because I came by them first as a customer.
If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

This might provide you with some good reading, and help you narrow down your choices: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8192473209/battle-of-the-titans-top-ball-heads-tested

But ball heads are not for everybody; I swore them off for a long time before discovering the FLM heads.
And if ball heads are not your bag, a lot of people here swear by the Manfrotto geared head for LF work; the smallest of them weighs only 1,2kg and should support your gear.

Richard Johnson
11-Aug-2014, 21:10
This guy has some reviews: http://frankinstan.tumblr.com/post/61319196646/for-the-past-couple-of-weeks-ive-had-the-pleasure

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 21:12
Acratech might be an alternative with their cut out design. they come in at about a pound of weight.
This new addition to the Acratech line looks interesting as well:
http://www.acratech.net/video-ballhead/

Weihan
11-Aug-2014, 21:16
WOW! That's a great review and very convincing. I'm leaning more and more to the FLM because of those features. I can imagine now despite never having used a ballhead that it might be frustrating, especially with LF, if you have focus set and then need to shift something around. If all the axes have to be readjusted, that could become very frustrating. Thanks so much for this great review!
This guy has some reviews: http://frankinstan.tumblr.com/post/61319196646/for-the-past-couple-of-weeks-ive-had-the-pleasure

Alan Gales
11-Aug-2014, 22:00
WOW! That's a great review and very convincing. I'm leaning more and more to the FLM because of those features. I can imagine now despite never having used a ballhead that it might be frustrating, especially with LF, if you have focus set and then need to shift something around. If all the axes have to be readjusted, that could become very frustrating. Thanks so much for this great review!

I really like Frank Petronio and I put a lot of value to what he says about anything to do with photography. He can keep his Volvo though. :)

Daniel Stone
11-Aug-2014, 23:19
I (LOVE) my Acratech GP ballhead. LOVE IT. For smaller formats though... 6x6 and smaller.

However, for LF(5x7 Linhof!), I prefer a more solid option, so I use a 3-axis head(a big #5 Gitzo actually!). NOT light, but super sturdy, and has a large platform to mount the camera to. With a combination of carbon fiber Gitzo legs, and this head, I can use up to a 450mm(longest lens I own currently) lens and it's super solid at all extensions.

As you mentioned, Acratech is here in east LA county, in Pomona. The owner, Scott, is a super nice dude, and despite his somewhat "awkward" sounding Youtube videos, he's a really chill guy and more laid back in-person than he comes across as in the videos :D

I wanted to love using this ballhead with all my camera systems, but alas, it wasn't sturdy enough with my GX680 or Linhof 5x7 Technika for my tastes. But that's me. A smaller, lightweight(like a Chamonix or maybe even an Ebony) field camera may work well on a ballhead, but I can't offer any experience with those cameras, as I don't own one.

cheers,
Dan

Peter De Smidt
12-Aug-2014, 08:11
I value Frank's opinion, as well. He's a gear hound and has used a tremendous amount of gear, including Linhof, Arca, RRS heads. Most importantly he _uses_ them. Weihan, the advice to try out a few options is spot on. You're not that far from Acratech. How about RRS. Are they in driving range? Trying your camera out on some quality ball heads would be very helpful.

I have an Arca B1 that I bought almost 20 years ago. I use it for everything smaller than 4x5. It's got some quirks, but it works well. With 4x5, I do have an issue with making very small changes to one axis. A friend uses the biggest RRS head, and it is smoother than my Arca.

With my Toyo 45AX I mainly use a Manfrotto 410 geared head. I'm very happy with that combo.

Peter Lewin
12-Aug-2014, 11:43
To add a little to an already long thread: I use a Markins Q3, specifically because it was the lightest head in its class that I could find, and my tripod gets carried around a lot. It is very well made, and close to ideal ball head. Now in an ideal world, I would love a 3-way head of similar weight, but the closest I can find is an Arca D3 and the cost is prohibitive.

The Markins replaced an earlier Arca ball head, which was also beautifully made, but both heavier and bulkier. The new Arca ball heads have one feature which I think is brilliant: the pan movement is on the top of the ball, rather than at the base (where every other head has it). The top placement means that once you level the camera you can pan horizontally, without having to first level the tripod or use a second levelling head. If you like doing multi shot panoramas, this could be the deal breaker.

Lastly, IMHO, you are overworking the reviews for the FLMs. They too have a unique advantage, combining a ball head and the independent movements of a 3-way. Ari posts wonderful work in this forum, and while I don't know him personally, he thought highly enough of the FLM to become the Canadian distributor. I would trust Ari's experience over other written reviews.

Bill_1856
12-Aug-2014, 16:20
Consider a TILTALL tripod with built-in head. Total weight about 6 pounds, which is less than most carbon fiber pods with their separate heads.
Get the one made by Leitz -- about $100 on ebay.

Weihan
16-Aug-2014, 12:50
UPDATE: Thanks to all who replied with excellent advice. Since I'd never used or even handled a ball head before, I decided to try a couple out over the last few days. My experience can best be described in 3 simple words: I HATED IT!
The experience was much less frustrating with my Hasselblad 500 mounted on the thing, but the 4x5? FORGET IT!
As a number of others have pointed out, you're essentially beginning from ground zero every time. OK, I know that the FLM in particular has the unique option of setting up each axis independently, but there's just something about the camera sitting atop a sphere and potentially being able to roll all over the place that has really put me off.
Since WEIGHT is my major issue with the 3-way p/t head I now have, I'm going to have a look at the relatively new Acratech Panoramic head. If any of the monopod heads offered panning functions, I'd look at those as well.
So now I can empathize with all the people who've sworn off ball heads.
THANKS AGAIN ALL!

Ari
16-Aug-2014, 12:59
Maybe, as another poster suggested, a levelling head is what would suit you best.
Most levelling heads will give you between 15˚-30˚ of movement in any direction; they are compact, lightweight and, by and large, inexpensive.

Peter Lewin
16-Aug-2014, 14:17
UPDATE: Since WEIGHT is my major issue with the 3-way p/t head I now have, I'm going to have a look at the relatively new Acratech Panoramic head. If any of the monopod heads offered panning functions, I'd look at those as well.
Since I, as many, are always searching for a better/lighter tripod head, I've followed this discussion with interest. But I don't see how the Acratech Panoramic head can meet your needs, since it appears to be only a 2-way head, i.e. tilt and pan rotation. With a view camera you need to level in 2 dimensions, vertical and horizontal, not just vertical. The only 2-way head I know that works with a view camera is the old Sinar head, and that one "cheated" since you got the third dimension by rotating the Sinar monorail in the clamp, making it effectively a 3-way head. Anyway, let us know how your search works out.

PS. In my earlier post I mis-named the Arca 3-way, it is the D4, not the D3. But the manual version of the D4 (there is an even more expensive geared version) is listed by B&H at $767, and weighs just under 1.5 lbs, significantly more than a ball head.

Richard Johnson
16-Aug-2014, 15:49
The Linhof 3-way is a great head. There is an older Bogen version that looks like it was 'inspired by" that isn't as nice or strong but with a light camera it would be fine, lightweight, very cheap.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=31373&gclid=CO7Z45HumMACFQiLaQodYaMAaw&is=REG&Q=&A=details

These are usually found USED in the $3-400 range, sometimes less. German eBay.de often has them. Linhof has made them for years in different cosmetic dress but the same functionality and quality.

The Bogen 3028 used to be sold for under $50, not sure if the is a current Manfrotto version but the old ones are plentiful and dirt cheap.

Peter De Smidt
16-Aug-2014, 17:24
My experience can best be described in 3 simple words: I HATED IT!

That sums up my feelings on the matter, although I'd live to give one of the FLMs a spin. The Linhof looks like a very nice head, but $$$$. The Manfrotto 410 is terrific, but it might not be lighter than what you have.

Alan Gales
16-Aug-2014, 22:30
Have you looked at these heads? http://www.gitzo.us/heads-low-profile

Weihan
16-Aug-2014, 23:00
After reading the info provided about the Arca Swiss D4 (thanks, Peter Lewin!), I think I'm now pretty much settled on that model. I'd like to go to one of my local camera stores at some point this coming week and try it out, but it looks ideal. Of course the Cube and Linhof's version look very nice as well, albeit with a bit more fat and an even fatter price tag. But the D4, I believe, would suit me just fine. I wasn't even aware that this model existed. In any case, I've definitely overcome my very brief infatuation with the ball heads. THANKS a million all for the invaluable input; greatly appreciated!

Weihan
19-Aug-2014, 17:50
Final update! Just wanted to let those who participated in this discussion know of the results of my intensive search for a new tripod head for both my Hasselblad 500 and my Linhof + Walker Titan XL. After reviewing a lot of the literature and suggestions from people here and from photographer friends, I had planned to order the Arca Swiss D4. And then yesterday another guy here in LA who shoots pretty much on a daily basis in a wide range of settings emailed me to have a look at the Induro PHQ 3 at his place, which I did. I was so impressed that I've now decided that this is THE model that will fit all my needs. It's half the weight of my current setup, but is capable of doing just about anything! Incredible piece of engineering. So this is now the model I'll be getting.

Peter De Smidt
19-Aug-2014, 18:24
That's cool. Let us know how you like it!

Alan Gales
19-Aug-2014, 19:00
That's great. I hope it's the answer for you!