PDA

View Full Version : Help with a new lens

Pali K
8-Aug-2014, 23:23
In an attempt to fix my lens recently I have managed to completely screw up the shutter. I am looking for a new lens, and being so new to LF, I could really use help locating the right lens. I shoot basic landscape and portraits so I think I am looking for something in the 150mm range. For portraits, I would really like to be able to have F5.6 to get the DOF.

I found this on KEH which looks good - any thoughts?
https://www.keh.com/256847/210-f6-8-geronar-mc-copal-bt-42-mt-5x7-lens

Hoping to get recommendations for a replacement lens in the $200-$350 range. Thanks!

mdarnton
9-Aug-2014, 07:03
You confuse us. You say you want a 150/5.6 then you show us a 210/6.8. That's not even close to the same thing. I'll assume that you mean you want 5.6 for its *lack* of depth of field. . .

However, for portraits I like a 210/5.6. Something like this: https://www.keh.com/256593/210-f5-6-symmar-s-copal-bt-42-mt-4x5-lens Landscapers may or may not find it too long, depending on how they see things.

Unless you're shooting a full-length body, 150 is too short, and even then you need to be careful about perspective distortions. For landscapes 150 might be a nice length, again, depending.

Toyon
9-Aug-2014, 07:05
Nikkor 180 is a terrific lens. Fujinons in those sizes are inexpensive and good in Copal shutters.

Alan Gales
9-Aug-2014, 10:07
The 210mm f/5.6 lenses were very popular with the pros so there are a ton of them out there. Because of the large supply they go pretty cheap. You can get a really nice one for $150.00 to $200.00 in a modern Copal shutter. Fujinon, Nikkor, Schneider, Rodenstock and Caltar are all very good performers. Let price and condition be your guide on which to buy.

The Rodenstock Geronar that you are looking at was considered a "student" lens. It has less lens elements and isn't quite as fast and has a smaller image circle but is very small and light weight and good for backpacking. They can also fold up into a Crown or Speed Graphic.

Pali K
9-Aug-2014, 19:45
mdarnton - sorry about the confusion. I am new to LF so I confuse myself also. I wanted the 152 mm range because this is the lens that I had and have shot portraits and landscapes with and know what to expect. However, I do know that it is not ideal for portraiture work and agree that 210 is the way to go as a good balanced portrait lens. I'll probably also pickup something in the 90 - 120 range for my taste for wide angled landscapes in the future.

So for now, I am monitoring a few ebay postings for this combination with Schneider Symmar-S 210 mm F/5.6 and Caltar - S II 210mm f/5.6 both with Copal shutters and keeping fingers crossed for some good luck. They both seem like they will go between 150 - 200 range.