PDA

View Full Version : Views of Georgia shot exclusively on 4x5" Velvia

Zndrson
7-Aug-2014, 15:13
Hey Guys. Great to have a forum here dedicated to Kickstarter. I'm working on a project that is essentially a survey of Georgia landscape and nature. I'm shooting it all on Velvia 100F and compiling the images in a book. Any attention is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

http://kck.st/1pURrQM

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/1190449/photo-main.jpg?1407205991

Kirk Gittings
7-Aug-2014, 15:58
A couple of questions and/or suggestions. This is a site with many accomplished and talented LF photographers. We see many proposals like this. Most fail but some have been very successful. I hope you don't mind some constructive suggestions?

You should show more actual work directly in the proposal. Why are you showing a black and white? You need to show a really stunning example of what you propose to do. To prove that you are capable of accomplishing the project. And you should state why you are the one to do this project.

Also I wonder about your stated costs. Where are you going to get professional scans done at this price: "the slides will need to be scanned professionally. This has an approximate cost of $400 for 80 or so slides."? $5 a piece for professional scans? Where? I do scanning for a couple of pro photographers who are friends and I charge $25 per scan. And I know my limitations. When I need a really first rate scan for myself or others I pay someone else (Lenny Eiger) over $100 per scan.

Good luck with this. Your financial request is really not too substantial so it may fly.

Zndrson
7-Aug-2014, 18:24
You should show more actual work directly in the proposal. Why are you showing a black and white? You need to show a really stunning example of what you propose to do. To prove that you are capable of accomplishing the project. And you should state why you are the one to do this project.

Hi Kirk, Thanks for the feedback!

I agree that more similar work would be good to show, and I do have this work, but the images are from other parts of the country like Colorado and Montana. I want all images in the Kickstarter page to be from Georgia. That being said, very soon (next week) I'll be renting an RV and doing some traveling around the state to get a head start on the project. I'll be shooting Velvia (expired, but still). Thus, with an update, I'll be showing very recent work shot with the correct film.

Also I wonder about your stated costs. Where are you going to get professional scans done at this price: "the slides will need to be scanned professionally. This has an approximate cost of $400 for 80 or so slides."? $5 a piece for professional scans? Where? I do scanning for a couple of pro photographers who are friends and I charge $25 per scan. And I know my limitations. When I need a really first rate scan for myself or others I pay someone else (Lenny Eiger) over $100 per scan.

I received a quote from a lab out west that charges $3.50/slide for a moderately sized file. Factoring in a slightly higher resolution, I factored in $5/scan. Worst case scenario involves buying an Epson V700 (which I plan to do eventually anyway) for $600 or so dollars and performing some wet scans myself. I intend this book to be 28x21cm, so extremely high resolution files are not necessary

A couple of questions and/or suggestions. This is a site with many accomplished and talented LF photographers. We see many proposals like this. Most fail but some have been very successful.

I've seen the work of other photographers on this forum, and I certainly do not hold myself in the same category. However, not attempting a project because other photographers are more experienced is silly. I'll be working on a smaller scale version of this project even if it does not get funded. The Kickstarter will fund the book and allow for more film to be purchased so that many images can be taken within a relatively small amount of time, thus, allowing for the book to be completed within a short amount of time.

Regardless of what happens, I'm eager to get outside and expose some 4x5 :-)

koh303
7-Aug-2014, 18:45
Zack,

Good luck with the project.
It sounds cool and we can only wish the best with this - but have only one point - why are you shooting slide?
As you will be scanning the film, you are much better off with negatives, as most scanners are not designed to scan slides (unless you are going with a drum scan, and even then it does not really matter), and you can get pretty much any color/contrast you like once the image is on the computer. What you cannot do is add detail where there is none, because of the very small envelope of performance and precise tolerance slide films have and prescription in exposure and processing that they require. The material is cheaper, better, easier to work with, and the chemistry is also cheaper.

You should have a look here at a recent discussion about printing from slides (even though you will be scanning): http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?115459-Setting-up-a-color-darkroom-advice-(-or-talk-me-out-of-it-)-)&p=1159954&viewfull=1#post1159954

How will you be processing the films? I can only assume you have all the gear needed.

Good luck!

ImSoNegative
7-Aug-2014, 19:49
don't forget north Ga, blue ridge, fannin county area, some of the most beautiful area around.

ImSoNegative
7-Aug-2014, 19:50
yes and good luck on your project it does sound really good

Zndrson
7-Aug-2014, 20:23
Zack,

Good luck with the project.
It sounds cool and we can only wish the best with this - but have only one point - why are you shooting slide?
As you will be scanning the film, you are much better off with negatives, as most scanners are not designed to scan slides (unless you are going with a drum scan, and even then it does not really matter), and you can get pretty much any color/contrast you like once the image is on the computer. What you cannot do is add detail where there is none, because of the very small envelope of performance and precise tolerance slide films have and prescription in exposure and processing that they require. The material is cheaper, better, easier to work with, and the chemistry is also cheaper.

You should have a look here at a recent discussion about printing from slides (even though you will be scanning): http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?115459-Setting-up-a-color-darkroom-advice-(-or-talk-me-out-of-it-)-)&p=1159954&viewfull=1#post1159954

How will you be processing the films? I can only assume you have all the gear needed.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response!

You bring up a good point. I have no numbers or concrete reason for using slide film over negative film. The best way I can sum it up is that there is something supremely satisfying about gazing upon a direct positive. Its one of a kind. This is why I shoot a lot of Polaroid. It makes the photograph an object. Slide films and Polaroids have a quality about them that are hard if not impossible to achieve with digital/negative film. Once the film is exposed and processed, there's not another step to be had to achieve a satisfying image. That's it. You're holding a pure photograph in your hands. If you've been lazy in your exposure and development then you'll receive a poor result. If you've been diligent through all aspects of the image making process the reward is extraordinary.

Most of that awe is null after scanning and subtractive printing, but the high image quality and beautiful color rendition is still there for the most part.

I shoot negative film all the time and love processing BW, but for this project I wanted to branch out and shoot slides again.

Some will cringe at reading this, but I'll be using the taco method to develop the slides. I'm able to fit four 4x5 sheets in my tank at a time. I have a proper tank but I always get better, more even results with the taco method in the cylindrical tank. Plus it can be inverted. I'll be running some tests with this method in about a week. If I can get consistent results then that will be the answer. If consistent results can't be achieved I'll be on the lookout for another alternative. I'll be posting updates to the Kickstarter page with more info including successes and failures.

koh303
7-Aug-2014, 21:07
Thanks for the response!

You bring up a good point. I have no numbers or concrete reason for using slide film over negative film. The best way I can sum it up is that there is something supremely satisfying about gazing upon a direct positive. Its one of a kind. This is why I shoot a lot of Polaroid. It makes the photograph an object. Slide films and Polaroids have a quality about them that are hard if not impossible to achieve with digital/negative film. Once the film is exposed and processed, there's not another step to be had to achieve a satisfying image. That's it. You're holding a pure photograph in your hands. If you've been lazy in your exposure and development then you'll receive a poor result. If you've been diligent through all aspects of the image making process the reward is extraordinary.

Scanning slide film is extraordinarily harder then scanning negatives.

Getting proper exposure on slides is infinitely harder then on negative.

Processing slides with the very best of equipment, by the most experienced operators is by far more demanding then negative, and requires precise temp control, agitation, and timing (none of which, BTW, are possible with the taco method).

Most of that awe is null after scanning and subtractive printing, but the high image quality and beautiful color rendition is still there for the most part. As you are by far more likely to have a better negative then a slide, that will scan better then a slide, i think you will find that for the most part, that awe of looking at a 4X5 slide is lost in the many black and white blotches which were once a dark puddle and bright clouds.

I shoot negative film all the time and love processing BW, but for this project I wanted to branch out and shoot slides again.

Some will cringe at reading this, but I'll be using the taco method to develop the slides.

It is a fine thing to want to branch out, but you cannot use the taco method and be "diligent through all aspects of the image making process" at the same time.

Kirk Gittings
7-Aug-2014, 21:15
Getting proper exposure on slides is infinitely harder then on negative. Infinitely is a bit extreme. With practice I would say a touch harder if your shutter speeds, light meters and development is spot on-plus a bracket on either side. For decades photographers successfully shot transparencies for most anything in color to be reproduced in 4 color. For 20 years, to get the highest quality for all possible uses of an architectural image we shot 4x5 chrome, 4x5 color neg, and 4x5 B&W neg and 35mm slide on every shot. Over 20 years this was tens of thousands of shots. Never blew one and I am no genius nor am I in particular favor with the god's of photography :).

Zndrson
7-Aug-2014, 21:24
It is a fine thing to want to branch out, but you cannot use the taco method and be "diligent through all aspects of the image making process" at the same time.

I respect your position, and most likely you are 100% correct. This is why I'm giving the process several trial runs to see if it is a viable process. If not, then I will move on to other home developing options. Part of the fun of this project is experimenting to see what the most economical/stable methods are of bringing slides to life. I'm a believer in using what I have first, and then moving on to other options when the ones currently at my disposal are exhausted.

Developing slides using the taco method may indeed be a pipe dream. I'm not married to the idea, but I do want to make sure its unattainable before I completely rule it out.

I'll be able to make a decision within the next couple weeks.

richardman
7-Aug-2014, 22:23
I have been shooting 4x5 Provia extensively for 2 years now. Just got another 60 sheets today. Much prefer that over color negs any day.

Of course I use a Jobo, so may be that helps a bit.

vinny
8-Aug-2014, 03:20
Scanning slide film is extraordinarily harder then scanning negatives.

Getting proper exposure on slides is infinitely harder then on negative.

Processing slides with the very best of equipment, by the most experienced operators is by far more demanding then negative, and requires precise temp control, agitation, and timing (none of which, BTW, are possible with the taco method).

As you are by far more likely to have a better negative then a slide, that will scan better then a slide, i think you will find that for the most part, that awe of looking at a 4X5 slide is lost in the many black and white blotches which were once a dark puddle and bright clouds.

What a bunch of B.S.
If you like transparency film, shoot it. I've been doing so for 15 yrs and I much prefer it over color neg. I own a light meter and a drum scanner.

Bob Salomon
8-Aug-2014, 04:43
Why aren't you presenting this to Fuji as a project if you are going to use their film only?

Going to include the Atlanta White House in the book?

Greg Miller
8-Aug-2014, 05:01
I respect your position, and most likely you are 100% correct. This is why I'm giving the process several trial runs to see if it is a viable process. If not, then I will move on to other home developing options. Part of the fun of this project is experimenting to see what the most economical/stable methods are of bringing slides to life. I'm a believer in using what I have first, and then moving on to other options when the ones currently at my disposal are exhausted.

Developing slides using the taco method may indeed be a pipe dream. I'm not married to the idea, but I do want to make sure its unattainable before I completely rule it out.

I'll be able to make a decision within the next couple weeks.

Seems like you need to work these details out before you try to raise money through Kickstarter. To effectively raise money, you should demonstrate that you have your process dialed in, and show many quality photos that you have created successfully, and of the type that would be used in the book. You should go back to Kirk's post #2 and look at paragraph #2 - you need to be able to directly address the items he has posed to you.

I would also encourage you to think closely about how many total images you need in order to produce a high quality book. I have one published book where I produced new images for the publisher (as opposed to using images I already had made), and am pretty far along in along in producing images for another book I have been commissioned to produce. In both cases, for every 10 images that I shoot, I select one to submit to my editors. And for every 10 that I submit to my editors, one makes it into the book. There's more to a book than just having a bunch of high quality images. The book needs to have a logical flow. The images from one page to the next need to flow well in terms of content, color palette, and mood. There needs to be consistency but also variety. If the book will be printed with an offset printer, you may find some images just to convert well to the CMYK color space.

djdister
8-Aug-2014, 05:27
As has been pointed out, your Kickstarter page does not convey any level of color landscape expertise. You do not state the finished size of the book, which most people would want to know. Will the book have images on both sides of the pages, or just one side? Assuming you have photos on both sides of the 26 pages, in order to come up with 50 or so finished shots, you would possibly be shooting anywhere from 500 to 1,000 sheets of film. Then make allowances for bad exposures, boring shots, technical problems, and processing problems. Given that, I think your cost estimates are considerably off the mark.

Richard Johnson
8-Aug-2014, 06:13
So you want us to fund something we do ourselves? Will you fund my project in return?

Good, we can call it even!

Jim Becia
8-Aug-2014, 06:53
As you can see, it is a tough crowd here. Good luck with your project. I have backed numerous photo and non photo projects. Most got funded, a few did not. I admire those who have the foresight and guts to proceed.

Bill_1856
8-Aug-2014, 08:25
I been through Jawjuh -- a vast mad wasteland of stop and go traffic and speed traps between Tennessee and Florida (as I recall).

Zndrson
8-Aug-2014, 08:48
I would also encourage you to think closely about how many total images you need in order to produce a high quality book. I have one published book where I produced new images for the publisher (as opposed to using images I already had made), and am pretty far along in along in producing images for another book I have been commissioned to produce. In both cases, for every 10 images that I shoot, I select one to submit to my editors. And for every 10 that I submit to my editors, one makes it into the book. There's more to a book than just having a bunch of high quality images. The book needs to have a logical flow. The images from one page to the next need to flow well in terms of content, color palette, and mood. There needs to be consistency but also variety. If the book will be printed with an offset printer, you may find some images just to convert well to the CMYK color space.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the response. I'm producing a run of 40 books to be had as rewards, for friends and family, and offer for sale. In this case, I am my own editor. I do not intend to have these books shipped to stores across the nation or even east coast. This is very strictly a home grown project. The book is merely a physical goal to have at the end of the project.

Seems like you need to work these details out before you try to raise money through Kickstarter. To effectively raise money, you should demonstrate that you have your process dialed in, and show many quality photos that you have created successfully, and of the type that would be used in the book. You should go back to Kirk's post #2 and look at paragraph #2 - you need to be able to directly address the items he has posed to you.

In my response to Kirk I mentioned that I will be taking a trip beginning next Friday around the state in order to get a head start on the project and also serve as a test run in home developing the film. The images I make will be uploaded to Kickstarter as an update, and will cover the successes and failures experienced, as well as solutions.

ImSoNegative
8-Aug-2014, 08:50
I been through Jawjuh -- a vast mad wasteland of stop and go traffic and speed traps between Tennessee and Florida (as I recall).

North Georgia is pretty nice, though the ride from Macon to Savannah is "are we there yet?" and "My gosh how much further can it be?" uh anywhere north of Gainsville is good :p

Zndrson
8-Aug-2014, 08:58
As has been pointed out, your Kickstarter page does not convey any level of color landscape expertise. You do not state the finished size of the book, which most people would want to know. Will the book have images on both sides of the pages, or just one side? Assuming you have photos on both sides of the 26 pages, in order to come up with 50 or so finished shots, you would possibly be shooting anywhere from 500 to 1,000 sheets of film. Then make allowances for bad exposures, boring shots, technical problems, and processing problems. Given that, I think your cost estimates are considerably off the mark.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. After receiving similar feedback from other posters, I may break my rule about having images included on the page only be from Georgia, and include my other landscape work as well. Several pieces on my website are from Georgia, but up until this project I haven't devoted as much energy to local landscapes. That's part of the reason for this project in the first place, really.

As far as film costs, I've made the point to keep the page count in the book low in order to a. save money on book production and b. to have fewer, but higher quality images. I've factored in my own expected ratio of good vs poor quality results, and have asked for enough money to have a comfortable amount of film purchased. Can I be wrong? Of course. If I am, I'll have to re-allocate money to film purchasing. Fortunately, as I mentioned in an update on the Kickstarter page, CatLABS has offered to scan my film on their Imacon at no charge. That's a lot of money saved to be towards potential problem areas.

Zndrson
8-Aug-2014, 09:05
So you want us to fund something we do ourselves? Will you fund my project in return?

Good, we can call it even!

Hi Richard,

I've volunteered my personal time and offered money to other projects that do what I do. I've enjoyed a very open and supportive photographic community here in Atlanta, and even more so for those of us that still shoot film. Projects like mine, while certainly not grand in nature, may do nothing else except to show that people still shoot film and advertise the medium.

I'm sorry that you're offended by my posting my Kickstarter campaign involving Large Format Photography in the Kickstarter section of a Large Format photography forum, but there's nothing much I can do except maybe suggest you shouldn't surf the Kickstarter section of the forum?

Zndrson
8-Aug-2014, 09:07
As you can see, it is a tough crowd here. Good luck with your project. I have backed numerous photo and non photo projects. Most got funded, a few did not. I admire those who have the foresight and guts to proceed.
Hi Jim,

No worries :-). The criticism is welcome. Thanks for your kind words.

Zndrson
8-Aug-2014, 09:10
Why aren't you presenting this to Fuji as a project if you are going to use their film only?

Going to include the Atlanta White House in the book?

Hi Bob,

To be honest I hadn't considered that they would be interested in such a small project. Maybe it would be worth an e-mail?

As far as the white house, though I've been there and it is beautiful, I'm focusing on only natural landscapes in Georgia for this project. I'll be visiting places like Providence Canyon, Okefenokee Swamp, Cumberland Island, as well as local Atlanta areas like Davidson Arabia Preserve, Stone Mountain, and little parks in between.

Bob Salomon
8-Aug-2014, 09:26
Hi Bob,

To be honest I hadn't considered that they would be interested in such a small project. Maybe it would be worth an e-mail?

As far as the white house, though I've been there and it is beautiful, I'm focusing on only natural landscapes in Georgia for this project. I'll be visiting places like Providence Canyon, Okefenokee Swamp, Cumberland Island, as well as local Atlanta areas like Davidson Arabia Preserve, Stone Mountain, and little parks in between.

We sent an assistant pledge master, in his PJs, to the Okefenokeeto and tied him to a tree for overnight a long time ago. Like 50 years ago! But then we also sent Brother Joe, from Columbus, to Cincinnati with a dime in his pocket and only a piece of paper with a phone number on it in his wallet by Eastern Airlines after a fraternity party one night. Took some convincing of the ticket agent to let him fly "in his condition" but she let him after she was convinced that he was coming from his batchlor party and had to get to the wedding!

Zndrson
8-Aug-2014, 10:14
We sent an assistant pledge master, in his PJs, to the Okefenokeeto and tied him to a tree for overnight a long time ago. Like 50 years ago! But then we also sent Brother Joe, from Columbus, to Cincinnati with a dime in his pocket and only a piece of paper with a phone number on it in his wallet by Eastern Airlines after a fraternity party one night. Took some convincing of the ticket agent to let him fly "in his condition" but she let him after she was convinced that he was coming from his batchlor party and had to get to the wedding!

WOW.

Remind me never to go with you on a photo trip! :-)

Bob Salomon
8-Aug-2014, 10:25
WOW.

Remind me never to go with you on a photo trip! :-)

Could meet. I have a daughter a 3 grandkids in NE.

Greg Miller
8-Aug-2014, 11:21
In my response to Kirk I mentioned that I will be taking a trip beginning next Friday around the state in order to get a head start on the project and also serve as a test run in home developing the film. The images I make will be uploaded to Kickstarter as an update, and will cover the successes and failures experienced, as well as solutions.

The problem that I see is that the Kickstarter campaign has already started , and the clock is ticking. By the time you take your trip, hopefully have awesome light, process the film, edit, and scan, you will have 10 days left. In that time, there could very well be people who visit your page, decide they don't see the detail that they need and move on. Any time you are asking for funding, it's best to have all the material you need to make the best case possible. Changing the campaign material part-way through would just turn me off as a potential investor. It basically says you are not ready, and you may alienate people who have already invested but don't like the nee material. If you are asking people to invest their hard earned money, they will want to have confidence that you can actually deliver. Not showing color images day one, and stating you need to learn how to develop are not confidence builders. And if you are asking people to fund this book (and for others to purchase a copy later), you have a responsibility to deliver a high quality book. You want to be really proud of this book and should also want to be able to use this book to help you get future assignments.

As an option, you may want to consider funding in phases. Get funding just for film and processing. When you have all the photos that you need to produce the book, use those to get funding for production.

And I think the most important question Kirk asked was "why you"? I wish you well, I really do, and I like the photos on your web site. But why you and not someone who specializes in color landscapes? Why not someone who has years of experience exposing and scanning color slides? Why not someone who already knows the state well enough they don't have to go exploring. Why not someone else who already as a track record of successfully producing a book?

Zndrson
8-Aug-2014, 13:25
The problem that I see is that the Kickstarter campaign has already started , and the clock is ticking. By the time you take your trip, hopefully have awesome light, process the film, edit, and scan, you will have 10 days left. In that time, there could very well be people who visit your page, decide they don't see the detail that they need and move on. Any time you are asking for funding, it's best to have all the material you need to make the best case possible. Changing the campaign material part-way through would just turn me off as a potential investor. It basically says you are not ready, and you may alienate people who have already invested but don't like the nee material. If you are asking people to invest their hard earned money, they will want to have confidence that you can actually deliver. Not showing color images day one, and stating you need to learn how to develop are not confidence builders. And if you are asking people to fund this book (and for others to purchase a copy later), you have a responsibility to deliver a high quality book. You want to be really proud of this book and should also want to be able to use this book to help you get future assignments.

As an option, you may want to consider funding in phases. Get funding just for film and processing. When you have all the photos that you need to produce the book, use those to get funding for production.

And I think the most important question Kirk asked was "why you"? I wish you well, I really do, and I like the photos on your web site. But why you and not someone who specializes in color landscapes? Why not someone who has years of experience exposing and scanning color slides? Why not someone who already knows the state well enough they don't have to go exploring. Why not someone else who already as a track record of successfully producing a book?

Greg,

I appreciate the depth of your feedback. Truly. And I enjoy the back and forth this thread has created.

I suppose the worst that could happen is that the project does not get funded. The beauty of Kickstarter is that if the full amount is not reached, then those that did pledge are not charged and we all live to fight another day. Personally, if the Kickstarter is not funded, it will still be completed, but on a much smaller scale and without the finality of a hard back book.

If the Kickstarter is funded, I truly believe I will have the means necessary to deliver a great final product. If I fail miserable in my home development, I'll have the film developed elsewhere. This is not a large concern to me because I'll do what is necessary to make sure this is a viable process. I do not take lightly the donations of others, and will absolutely come through with the rewards that I'm offering.

Ultimately, it comes down to the viewers and if they think my video/story/personality is worth investing in. It remains to be seen if enough people think I can pull this project off. The scale of this project is no accident and was designed to be executable with my experience level in book design and production. There's a reason why I've not taken this further. I'm using this project as a stepping stone and learning experience. Those that do contribute get a piece of what they've contributed to in return. I do not feel I am owed anything. I have no belief that my skill is so great that I deserve the money I'm asking for. Quite the opposite.

Lastly, I'm having trouble with the "Why you" question. I'm unsure if this is a question that you believe I should answer in the video for the sake of potential backers, or a more literal "Why you". The latter question I do not understand in the least.

If people did not do work they believed in because there are other people that could do it, then we wouldn't see new work. There's always someone better. No matter where you are in your career there's someone with more experience, better images, and a better head on their shoulders. I refuse to even consider not doing this project simply because there are other photographers out there that have more experience shooting landscapes.

Perhaps I'm missing the point of the question.

Greg Miller
8-Aug-2014, 13:47
The "why you" question should be addressed on your Quickstarter page. If that question is answered effectively, I believe you will receive much more backing by investors. If I am an investor looking for projects to back, I'm looking for projects that demonstrate why that person(s) is the right person to be doing the project. As an investor, I want to be interested in the project, have confidence that it will be completed, and will be a good end product. Given your subject matter, there could very well be somebody with an existing body of work that could put together a better product with no risk. So to attract investors, you need to demonstrate why you are the best gut to do this product.

Sorry if i am coming across negatively. That isn't my intent. I'm hoping this feedback will help you be as prepared as possible to maximize the funding that you get. I've had to get funding for projects, and I've gone through the process of convincing investors to invest their money. The first they they always ask for is proof that I can pull it off. The second thing they ask for is why they should invest in me vs. someone else. They wouldn't want to invest in you and then find out someone has already, or will, come out with a better product (and it's way easier to fill a book with great images is to have spent the last 30 (or 5 years) years making them as opposed to dedicating 3 months to going out and getting them). Kickstarter investors don't have a great ability to ask the question "why you". They expect you to expect the question and provide the answer already. You don't have to answer the question, but then you should expect to not get as much in funding. The keys to funding are having a great concept, proof that you can pull it off, and a reason why you are the best person to do the project.

Kirk Gittings
8-Aug-2014, 15:26
Greg,

I appreciate the depth of your feedback. Truly. And I enjoy the back and forth this thread has created.

I suppose the worst that could happen is that the project does not get funded. The beauty of Kickstarter is that if the full amount is not reached, then those that did pledge are not charged and we all live to fight another day. Personally, if the Kickstarter is not funded, it will still be completed, but on a much smaller scale and without the finality of a hard back book.

If the Kickstarter is funded, I truly believe I will have the means necessary to deliver a great final product. If I fail miserable in my home development, I'll have the film developed elsewhere. This is not a large concern to me because I'll do what is necessary to make sure this is a viable process. I do not take lightly the donations of others, and will absolutely come through with the rewards that I'm offering.

Ultimately, it comes down to the viewers and if they think my video/story/personality is worth investing in. It remains to be seen if enough people think I can pull this project off. The scale of this project is no accident and was designed to be executable with my experience level in book design and production. There's a reason why I've not taken this further. I'm using this project as a stepping stone and learning experience. Those that do contribute get a piece of what they've contributed to in return. I do not feel I am owed anything. I have no belief that my skill is so great that I deserve the money I'm asking for. Quite the opposite.

Lastly, I'm having trouble with the "Why you" question. I'm unsure if this is a question that you believe I should answer in the video for the sake of potential backers, or a more literal "Why you". The latter question I do not understand in the least.

If people did not do work they believed in because there are other people that could do it, then we wouldn't see new work. There's always someone better. No matter where you are in your career there's someone with more experience, better images, and a better head on their shoulders. I refuse to even consider not doing this project simply because there are other photographers out there that have more experience shooting landscapes.

Perhaps I'm missing the point of the question.

The "why you" question is essential. Not just for KS but for any grant process or getting a shooting job in a competitive environment. I pursue a new architect client I have to answer that question as I have tons of competition. Why hire me and not the guy you hired last time? The why me question is essential to ANYTHING you do in the arts. Every grant proposal I write or artist residency I try to get requires that I answer that question. You can't assume that your work speaks for itself and in this case you are not showing much work. You are not going to get far in photography without knowing how to answer that question when you are proposing to do something you haven't done yet. Selling an existing print is obvious. They can see it but you are asking people to by into something you haven't produced yet. Tell me why I should have the faith in you that you can pull this off.

Greg Miller
8-Aug-2014, 16:34
Another key aspect of why you is that very few people are willing to invest in a product that looks like a million other products out there. They want to invest in something unique; that doesn't already exist (and photographing lesser known sights isn't exactly a new concept).. So the why you manifests itself in your unique vision. You need to demonstrate that you have a unique vision and that you can produce a product that doesn't already exist and noone else can create. And you can't just talk about that. Millions of people talk about it but only a few can do it. Showing an already completed product with unique vision is so much more compelling.

Greg Miller
8-Aug-2014, 17:16
But, hey, go make an awesome book. Glean whatever you can from this thread. Use the information how you can. Use it to get motivated, get pissed off, get jazzed. Whatever. But go make an awesome book whether you get funded or not. Go make images that will knock everyone dead. Pretty much all the cool stuff that has ever been created had a mission naysayer s saying it couldn't, or shouldn't, be done. But somebody did it anyway.

koh303
8-Aug-2014, 17:54
Zac,

I would like to rescind my comments about your choice of material and process - it's your project, your time, your effort, not mine, and i am happy to support your campaign, and hope others see it this way as well.

Good luck to you regardless of how you choose to do it, i hope to see the project materialize and the book come to life.

AtlantaTerry
8-Aug-2014, 20:00
Zac,

The suggestion to not use black and white examples, but to use color ones was answered that you did not have any of Georgia, only ones out west. I don't think it matters where you created the samples, the idea is to show how capable you are.

Since you are in Atlanta, for processing and scanning of your E6 film drop by Dunwoody Photo and talk to Michael Beattie. He does short runs of E6. I just talked to him about 5 days ago so I know this is current information. He scans all my 4x5 B&W negatives with an Epson and does a terrific job.

Dunwoody Photo
5588 Chamblee Dunwoody Road
Dunwoody, Georgia 30338
(678) 320-0202

Hours:
Monday 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Tuesday 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Wednesday 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Thursday 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Friday 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Sunday Closed
http://www.dunwoodyphoto.com/

Now, may I pick a nit? When talking about large format films IMHO, the term to use is not "slides" but "transparencies". This is because slides are transparences that are in a cardboard, plastic, metal or glass mount and destined to be used in a slide projector. Generally 35mm, but sometimes 6x6. (I've done both.) Whereas a large format sheet of processed E6 film is not in any kind of mount, just a protective sleeve of one sort or another. [/end rant]

richardman
8-Aug-2014, 20:09
I'm jealous that my gofundme thread has no discussion but this one is on page 4 already :D

Zndrson
11-Aug-2014, 09:09
Thanks to everyone for contributing to the conversation. I'm grateful for the insight, suggestions, and constructive criticism. I've made some changes to the campaign page as a result, with a few more to come most likely.

This conversation is what I enjoy about this forum, and talking to other large format photographers with more experience than myself.

I also appreciate those from the forum that chose to contribute to the campaign monetarily. I am humbled and will put forth my best effort to produce a product worthy of your support.

Thanks again. Off to expose some TRANSPARENCIES ;)