PDA

View Full Version : My LF inspiration

Bill_1856
6-Aug-2014, 18:19
Much as I love the landscapes of St. Ansel, and the detailed images of Weston, not to mention the inspirational work of Paul Strand, the fact is that what really makes me want to get out the old view camera and it's 500 pound tripod, and all the necessary accoutrements and accessories, is when my local PBS stations decides to run Ken Burns' "The Civil War."
It makes me want to get out and shoot 4x5s or 5x7s, and print them on Sepia paper.
This week they ran "The Civil War" and "Mark Twain" and it was wonderful to see the improvement in quality (especially sharpness) in that 40 year period.
Anybody else inspired by these fuzzy, dreary old photographs?

Brian C. Miller
6-Aug-2014, 21:11
Actually, I'm inspired by moonlight. If it wasn't for that, I would have never looked up from chips and software.

Bill, have you thought about pursuing photographing war reenactments? I remember a number of years ago I went to a Civil War era reenactment, and it was quite interesting. Oh, hey there's one this weekend, in Roy, WA! (Near Olympia.) There's also WWII reenactments, but there doesn't appear to be any of that locally.

Another thing you can photograph are the guys who do the Single Action Shooting Society (http://www.sassnet.com/) stuff. They dress up in late 1800's clothing, and there's a whole cottage industry around it. Between Civil War and SASS, you should be set!

Leszek Vogt
6-Aug-2014, 21:50
Thanks for the info, Brian. I've never been into one of those things, so it will be good to check this out.

Les

Bernice Loui
6-Aug-2014, 23:26
Carleton Watkins, have a look at these landscape images from before 1900, then consider if the words "fuzzy, dreary old" still apply.

It is not often appreciated that more than a few image makers from that era produced sharp images with excellent tonality and expressive artistry. It also points to how well developed optics design and the photographic process was even back then.

http://museum.stanford.edu/view/watkins.html

Bernice

Jim Jones
7-Aug-2014, 05:30
I prefer Timothy O'Sullivan's photo at the Canyon de Chelly over the two that Ansel Adams captured from nearly the same position. Also, look at the photography of Eadweard Muybridge.

ShannonG
7-Aug-2014, 06:02
Absolutely,those types of shows light a spark for me as well.Then i get out my glass plate collection,then i get out my transparency's and negs.then i load film and prepare my equipment.Then i shoot.then i get in my darkroom.happens to me every time.I have recorded lots of shows that are about cameras/photographers to re watch in case that spark gets dim.(along with books of course)The procedures of large format make me stop and think and i really like what that does for me .

Much as I love the landscapes of St. Ansel, and the detailed images of Weston, not to mention the inspirational work of Paul Strand, the fact is that what really makes me want to get out the old view camera and it's 500 pound tripod, and all the necessary accoutrements and accessories, is when my local PBS stations decides to run Ken Burns' "The Civil War."
It makes me want to get out and shoot 4x5s or 5x7s, and print them on Sepia paper.
This week they ran "The Civil War" and "Mark Twain" and it was wonderful to see the improvement in quality (especially sharpness) in that 40 year period.

Bill_1856
7-Aug-2014, 07:17
I prefer Timothy O'Sullivan's photo at the Canyon de Chelly over the two that Ansel Adams captured from nearly the same position. Also, look at the photography of Eadweard Muybridge.

Me, too.
Muybridge -- not so much.

DrTang
7-Aug-2014, 08:02
August Sander

Alfred Cheney Johnston (11x14 glass plates!!?)

and I'm excited again

sometimes an odd link will do that too: the Australian Mug Shot photos, shropys, one of the monthly portraits here

Bill_1856
7-Aug-2014, 08:10
August Sander

Alfred Cheney Johnston (11x14 glass plates!!?)

and I'm excited again

sometimes an odd link will do that too: the Australian Mug Shot photos, shropys, one of the monthly portraits here
Ain't it wonderful to get that excitement!

Joe Smigiel
8-Aug-2014, 20:57

Personally, I've always liked John Pfahl's version:

http://classconnection.s3.amazonaws.com/703/flashcards/1185703/png/111336417704635.png

On a more serious note, I have a great deal of respect for Watkins, O'Sullivan, Muybridge, etc. They did phenomenal work on glass plates.

But, I think my inspiration from early photographers is the portraiture of Nadar, Southworth and Hawes, and later George Seeley.

uphereinmytree
9-Aug-2014, 08:39
I am most often inspired to shoot large format by my own digital images and the tiny viewfinder. they all sort of look the same after a while as does the computer screen. I do get excited when I see any large format on television and then I notice the strange looks from the people around me.

csxcnj
9-Aug-2014, 17:19
After the last five years of things I've delt with my inspiration for shooting is just waking up alive and in good health. :rolleyes:;):confused::)

William Whitaker
10-Aug-2014, 08:42

"Fuzzy dreary old photographs" are what it's all about, but for me fuzzy, dreary old photographs by Steichen, Frederick Evans, Clarence White or Peter Henry Emerson (esp. Norfolk Broads (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKme5RoIv3g)) strike a special chord.

Glad you brought this up as I've been feeling rather disillusioned with photography of late. It's good to revisit the spiritual core.