PDA

View Full Version : Periodic Shutter workout?

AFSmithphoto
3-Aug-2014, 18:50
I know there are some that say firing the shutter a couple of times before making exposure improves the accuracy. I also know there are some that disagree. I'm not looking to open up that debate.

I believe I also read somewhere that shutters should be used periodically. If not the lubrication will dry out and they will cease. As I find myself getting out to shoot less and less often, I've begun to worry about this. What are people's thoughts? If you use your gear rarely should you bring it out and fire the shutters from time to time? If so how often? At which speeds?

BrianShaw
3-Aug-2014, 18:58
That is mostly true for older shutters that have not been properly cleaned and lubricated in a long time. But there are many that haven't and still provide serviceable use. The most vulnerable speeds are the low ones, 1/30 and slower. Exercise those speeds if you need to exercise a shutter. Not only will you get the moving parts moving, but if you are going to run into a problem you'll likely hear it on the 1 sec or 1/2 sec speeds. How often depends on the shutter condition - more if it hasn't been serviced in a long time and less often if it has.

p.s. In the debate you don't want to re-open (wisely) there is a third option: Let and let live. :)

Ari
3-Aug-2014, 19:03
Side note: I can't remember where I picked this up, but I have heard that it is a good idea to keep the shutter set to "T" when not in use for prolonged periods.
Maybe someone can corroborate this?

BrianShaw
3-Aug-2014, 19:04
Oh, that is a theory that no spring will be under tension if the shutter is stored on T. Another debate with there sides to it. :o

My assessment of that theory is that it probably does no good, but it certainly does no harm... so why not!