PDA

View Full Version : A footwear thread for landscapers (running shoes vs. hiking boots?)

Heroique
31-Jul-2014, 13:12
For simplicity's sake, let's say you've just parked the car, it's a nice morning, and you're about to head into diverse terrain for a half day or full day of shooting – you'll be carrying a typical (not overly ambitious) load of LF gear.

Are you a running shoes person, or a hiking boots person? (If neither, please tell us more about your choice.)

I've heard convincing arguments either way. What's more, the length of the hike doesn't seem to settle the matter. That is, the longer the hike, the reasons for electing running shoes, good and bad, grow just as quickly as they do for hiking boots.

What's the smart landscaper supposed to do? What are the chief variables to consider?

(Additional remarks about socks are naturally welcome!)

-----
For the record, I'm a hiking boots person 95% of the time, no matter how far from the car. Once in a city park, just a few steps from my car, and on a day when I was wearing running shoes, a large German Shepherd approached and began leaping up on me. No owner in sight. He turned out to be friendly, not hostile, but how was I to know in those first few moments? In retrospect, hiking boots would have been better than running shoes to gently keep him at a safer distance for those first few critical moments. "Hiking boots next time, and maybe every time," I remember thinking...

John Kasaian
31-Jul-2014, 13:17
It depends on the terrain. In most places I wear my Alico hiking boots, but in the desert and mud I wear Red Setters. And sometimes I wear Crocs.

Kirk Gittings
31-Jul-2014, 13:31
I don't know how to answer this. What is a "landscaper" in the context of photography?

Corran
31-Jul-2014, 13:44
When I'm out in the wilderness I often am glad I have on my boots (or wish I had them!) but they sure are heavy. Big steel-toes and waterproof up to a few inches so that can be really nice. After a few miles of hiking I definitely notice the heft.

Heroique
31-Jul-2014, 13:47
I don't know how to answer this. What is a "landscaper" in the context of photography?

I’m as flexible w/ definitions as a trusty pair of leather hiking boots. :D

But let's do try to keep this an academic-free discussion.

Quick, tell us what was on your feet on your last field trip, and why?

paulr
31-Jul-2014, 14:02
I've become a running shoe guy (love my trail running shoes w/sticky rubber). But it depends on your feet and on the terrain.

If you're expecting a lot of snow (especially hard summer snow) or deep mud, boots have obvious advantages.

And some people's feet and ankles don't like a soft shoe. My old climbing partner needed high-topped boots because he'd hurt his ankles playing football and needed support. My brother gets sore feet from walking on uneven surfaces in soft shoes, so he at least needs an approach shoe with a stiff sole.

Kirk Gittings
31-Jul-2014, 14:29
I’m as flexible w/ definitions as a trusty pair of leather hiking boots. :D

But let's do try to keep this an academic-free discussion.

Arrrrgh...."landscapers".......I truly hate that term just like I hate "togs" or "snaps".

Ok when I am out photographing the landscape (as opposed to working on the landscaping in my front yard-that's when I am a "landscaper"). I prefer a really light weight, breathable, low cut boot with an aggressive tread. Right now that is a pair of Danners with GoreTex sides from REI. If its hot I wear cotton socks. If its cold I wear the new high tech wool socks.

djdister
31-Jul-2014, 14:33
For a week and a half walking around in Scotland, all I wore was Keen low cut hiking shoes. They have a hiking boot tread, but are low cut, waterproof and very breathable.

Regular Rod
31-Jul-2014, 14:39
For the last couple of years I've been making photographs of certain rivers in Derbyshire. I wear wellingtons because a lot of the time I'm in the river, also long trousers tucked in because that saves me a lot of grief removing ticks and thorns from my skin.

RR

Lachlan 717
31-Jul-2014, 14:54
High cut boots.

(Given Australia has 20 of the top 25 most venomous (land) snakes on the planet (http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html), maybe riding boots would be better...)

Got a pair of Bates M-9 boots that are amazingly comfortable.

Heroique
31-Jul-2014, 15:11
I should add that if anyone wears leather hiking boots, your preferences about water proofing are also welcome.

And paging Vaughn to the footwear thread – if you're reading this, I hope you re-post the photo of you in Fern Canyon (post #24 in the "Looks like AA" lounge thread) and tell us more about those black shoes.

Pretty fancy!

Drew Wiley
31-Jul-2014, 15:19
I have messed up feet so I always wear boots with good ankle support everywhere. I see people running trails in glorified tennis shoes and even glorified flipflops,
and once knew an old Monache who reminisced about crossing Paiute Pass barefoot as a kid to trade obsidian. Not for me. True leather mtn boots, always. Wouldn't
be alive today otherwise. But even just scrambling up a loose steep slope above the beach on a Saturday afternoon, it would be easy enough to sprain an ankle
in poor footwear.

David Karp
31-Jul-2014, 15:26
Hiking boots. Always.

John Koehrer
31-Jul-2014, 15:26
Gotten so used to the ankle support, I'm uncomfortable in low shoes.
So! Rockport hikers sometimes with gaiters, don't like traipsing through the weeds & gathering sticky things etc.
Cooler weather deserves good ol' fashioned combat boots. :

paulr
31-Jul-2014, 15:34
I should add that if anyone wears leather hiking boots, your preferences about water proofing are also welcome.

Paste wax (bee seal, sno-seal, or nikwax paste wax) are the old standards. Lately, emulsified products like Nikwax aqueous wax have become the preferred choice, because bees wax can sometimes make it difficult or impossible to re-sole the shoe. This is only true for lightweight hiking boots with glued soles. If you're talking about old-school Norwegian-welt stompers, it won't make a difference. But there's little reason besides nostalgia for that kind of boot anymore. In their day they made sense for use with crampons; today there are choices that perform better at half the weight.

All my mountain shoes are synthetic now. I've got trail runners (montrail), stiffer approach shoes (5.10 ... usually for when carrying a pack or when the terrain gets more technical), summer alpine boots and winter alpine boots (both la sportiva). The only leather is in the ankle section of the winter boots. These things are used only for ice climbing. Too stiff to walk in very far.

Peter Lewin
31-Jul-2014, 15:53
Low cut hiking shoes. I just replaced a worn out pair of La Sportiva something-or-others with a pair of Keen Marshall's. I always check the reviews to make use the model is judged satisfactory for carrying a relatively light pack, since trail runners and some low hiking shoes don't have enough support for a pack, and the whole point is to be able to carry my 4x5 equipment. Personally I don't feel comfortable in my running shoes when I'm carrying the pack. On the other hand, my leather high hiking boots are overkill unless I'm really on mountain terrain.

Daniel Stone
31-Jul-2014, 16:21
I've been wearing these as of late, no socks. Dirty/dusty feet at the end of a day's hiking, but they let my feet be exactly that: my feet
I really like them, although I find that if wearing them regularly, they will stink after awhile. Some simple green and scrub brush gets that sorted out. Usually a 10-15min chore in the bath tub, approx 1x/month. I just air/sun dry them after washing. I'm almost through my 1st pair, which have lasted me approx 2yrs of ~150-200 days of wear per year during that time, including off-road hiking, on-road walking, and everyday wear. No problems thus far, and quite comfortable.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/men/waterfront/clearwater%20cnx

However, if doing heavier duty "hiking" with noticeable elevation and or terrain challenges with any load on me, I'd feel much better wearing my Danner 5" boots, which provide ankle support. Especially if I'm venturing into snake territory, then I'll also wear long pants and snake gaiters if walking through brush or scrub.

-Dan

csxcnj
31-Jul-2014, 16:52
Had to get new work boots back in January. I love New Balance sneakers so googled New Balance work boots. What comes up is actually a combat boot. In 6" and 8" ankle lengths. The reviews from active duty SF were very good so I bought a pair. They feel so good I want to wear them all the time. Great traction and support, light weight and comfortable.

So if you like wearing sneakers but need a boot I can recommend these. If you like a hiking boot I can recommend these.

Jmarmck
31-Jul-2014, 16:53
It has been a long time. Hiking boots are not made like they use to be. Or perhaps I am just not looking in the right places anymore. Bought a pair of Highteck lightweight boots a few years ago. The soles were glued not stitched. Yes, they separated. But If I could stand to break in another pair, something like the old Fabiano boots, high cut. Water proofed with Sno-Seal.

Vaughn
31-Jul-2014, 17:09
Can be anything from Tevas to trailrunning shoes to medium-weight hikers to leather workboots (Redwings). Depends on the terrain and distance.

The black shoes are just trail-runners (aggressive tread, heavier build than regular runners). They were close-outs from REI. Lots of time they'll have some 14's on sale! Actually I usually wear my Tevas in Fern Canyon due to walking in the water all the time, but I went with my boys and wanted to be able to keep up with them and do a little off-trail walking.

TXFZ1
31-Jul-2014, 17:46
Vaughn
, Are those culottes or lederhosen?:D

I wear low cut hiking boots with silk liners and wool outer socks.

Vaughn
31-Jul-2014, 18:11
I did wear ledarhosen hiking in the Sierras for years. No cares about where one sat, could slide down on snow on my butt, didn't care what I looked like, etc.

John Kasaian
31-Jul-2014, 18:43
I think it has something to do with having a weed wacker monopod with a 1/4-20 on the handle end LOL!

Kirk Gittings
31-Jul-2014, 18:44
I think it has something to do with having a weed wacker monopod with a 1/4-20 on the handle end LOL!
:)

Tim Meisburger
31-Jul-2014, 20:30
Well, I used to go in flip-flops, till I saw this: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/26163154/woman-plunges-to-death-over-cliff-in-catskills

biedron
1-Aug-2014, 05:50
Very timely question Heroique! I'm currently trying to decide between my usual hiking boot and a trail runner type. Might just go with the trail runner this time.

I destroying my hiking boots while "bouldering" along the Nisqually River this summer - took a fall and ripped the sole half off. The emergency Gorilla Glue repair won't hold forever…

Bob

GG12
1-Aug-2014, 06:51
Depends on the path. If rocky and difficult, need ankle support. Otherwise low cut hiking, Keens.

Winger
1-Aug-2014, 07:11
Since I tend to find myself on the wrong side of streams frequently, I usually wear my Vasque hiking boots with Goretex. I even wear them to walk the dogs these days, too, since I walk them around the perimeter of our yard. My feet stay drier in them than in sneakers. The boots are around 9 years old and may not be quite as water-proof as they used to be, but they are comfortable. I'd still rather walk across a stream in them. And they're lightweight enough that I've never felt like they were heavy. Since I'm starting to run again, I'd prefer to keep the running sneakers for running only.

Doremus Scudder
1-Aug-2014, 10:23
I'm almost always in rough terrain when in the field. My default footwear is a pair of Asolo heavy-duty Gore-Tex hiking/mountaineering boots; big thick soles, aggressive tread, stiff enough to wear on jagged beach rocks or climb in the canyons and sticky enough to get a good bite on smooth slickrock, plus they provide ankle support to prevent twists. I rarely wear anything else when in the backcountry.

Best,

Doremus

Drew Wiley
1-Aug-2014, 10:35
Water resistance has a lot to do with the quality of the leather. My first pair of mtn boots were actually Swiss-made moosehide double boots. They were miserably
heavy. But I could posthole all day in deep snow without my feet getting wet or cold. I put over 10,000 miles of rough hiking on them before someone actually stole them! Now I wear much lighter custom boots from Esatto. The leather is quite good, but some stitches and tie hardware have had to been locally repaired; but then I've done some pretty rough trips on those things too. They were expensive, but the first pair of boots I've ever owned that fit just right from the word go. I wouldn't dream of going way back into the high country in any of those Goretex thingeys with moulded soles. Good formula for frostbite if a real blizzard arrives. Maybe OK for dayhikes and garden-variety midsummer things. Don't fit me anyway.

paulr
1-Aug-2014, 10:43
I just took my girlfriend shopping for hiking shoes a couple of weeks ago. She's got some foot issues, so I was open to anything that worked for her. When I brought up the subject of ankle support, she said something interesting: "I don't believe high tops have much to do with ankle support. I get that from the structure of the shoe. Some shoes feel stable and control the rolling of my foot; others don't."

I think she has a good point. With the exception of mountaineering boots designed for crampon use, which actually constrict the motion of my ankles when tied tightly, I don't actually think high-topped shoes do much for support. They can keep rocks and water out, but that's about it.

I would only consider truly stiff-ankled boots on non-technical terrain if I was nursing an injury. They're just too restrictive. Even on climbs, if I'm not using them to front-point in crampons, I lace them with the forefoot tight and the ankles as loose as possible. Otherwise it's like walking in plaster casts.

The stability of the sole really does make a noticeable difference. On reason I like trail running shoes instead of road running shoes is that they tend to have lower and broader soles. They feel less like stilts on uneven ground. Better ones make my ankles feel a lot less floppy when I'm tired.

Drew Wiley
1-Aug-2014, 11:06
There are plenty of times I have to go down some steep slope where the talus is almost like shrapnel, or stumble thru some fast stream where low-tops would almost guarantee sliced or broken ankles. For sandy streams like often encountered wading Southwest canyons, I carry along a pair of rubber sox or Teva water sandals. And for brief easy fords in the mtns as well as casual camp wear at the end of the day, carry a lightwt pair of cheap flipflops. Twice I've sprained both ankles. Once
way back in the hills where I still had to haul an 85lb pack another 37 miles. Those serious mtn boots acted almost like casts and held me together. But once they
were off.... holy cow those black n blue ankles hurt like hell for the next six weeks.

Jerry Bodine
1-Aug-2014, 12:28
Decades ago when I first started backpacking and not knowing anything about boots, some (experienced?) folks recommended that I visit a particular custom bootmaker to have them made. It only took one trip to conclude that those boots were inadequate for mountain travel in snow/ice and were not usable with crampons. Still have them in good condition and use them for weed-eating in the yard, thus avoiding the possibility of carelessly cutting off a toe. They are essentially a shin-high logger boot with HUGE thick soles minus the hobnails, very comfortable though. I switched right away to heavy Lowa climbing boots designed for the job (not the stuff on the market these days) and have gone through several pairs, re-soled as needed, as they have Norwegian welts and were liberally treated with Sno-Seal prior to each use. Still have them, though they're not being used as much these days since I'm getting wimpier with age.

Darin Boville
1-Aug-2014, 12:46
I don't do all the serious hiking/climbing stuff but for years I was happy with a pair of LL Bean Cresta boots. I loved those things. Super comfortable, waterproof, not too heavy. Then I got three or four inch cut in them from hiking on obsidian--cut all the way through the leather, didn't even notice right away, a half inch above the sole. That was a close call, I guess. Had them repaired by the local guy but he used some sort of rigid glue that he applied messily--looks terrible. He was an old German guy who fit the part of a movie shoemaker. Oh well. Bought a new pair but they aren't made in Italy anymore, they are made in Eastern Europe. They are nice but not quite right. Maybe it's psychological.

Since then I've tended to go with hiking shoes or even Crocs. But every time I'm anywhere where there might be rattlesnakes I feel a little naked without the boots. Probably wouldn't have done anything anyway but I felt safer in boots.

--Darin

Old_Dick
1-Aug-2014, 13:29
Folks,

I have Asolo also, Gore-Tex lined. Very comfortable, plenty of support for foot and ankle, purchased at EMS. Basically no breaking in, not like days of old. Works well with flexible crampons for not extreme climbing. A good liner sock that is snug, with a heavy outer.

Dick

Cotton kills

Drew Wiley
1-Aug-2014, 14:09
My ole secret for snattlerakes was not high boots but flared-out bell bottom pants. The snakes are basically heat-seeking missles, and strike on the surface. If the
fabric is projecting well out from your leg, that's the surface where they'd aim. Unfortunately most of the big rattlers I encountered were creekside or along the
path to the swimming holes, where everyone was barefoot and barelegged. We knew to be cautious, and usually had either a .22 or a big stick. It was the boaters
on the reservoirs who were naive. They get out of the boat and wander around, get bit, panic and run in the heat. A few of them died that way. Locals knew to casually walk down to water and soak the limb in the cold until help arrived.

Greg Miller
1-Aug-2014, 14:12
I think the answer will probably vary by region. In my part of the country we have very loose rocky trails, lots of dew in the morning, lots of stream crossings, and heavy underbrush that tend to have lots of thorns. My preferred footwear for general use near the car is waterproof low cut hiking boots (currently these (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83405?feat=506795-GN3&page=men-s-waterproof-trail-model-hikers-low-cut)). But if I am venturing a fair distance I go with a lightweight pair of waterproof full cut hiking boots (sometime with gaiters). I have sprained both ankles multiple times (from other types of adventures) and need the high ankle support. I tend to shoot very early in the morning and that almost always means totally saturated shoes and socks within a few steps (unless the footwear is waterproof) due to dew.

If I were in a dry part of the west staying on the more groomed trails that I have experienced there, I might have a different strategy. Trails in the northeast are very different from trails in much of the west.

Greg Miller
1-Aug-2014, 14:51
I just remembered that I sprained an ankle a few years ago wearing low cut hikers on a trail that is as groomed as you could hope for - major doofus moment. So if I were smart I would probably wear full cut boots walking down the sidewalk...

paulr
1-Aug-2014, 15:02
Trails in the northeast are very different from trails in much of the west.

Like how the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway is different from highways in much of the west. Or anywhere in the developed world.

Greg Miller
1-Aug-2014, 15:08
Like how the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway is different from highways in much of the west. Or anywhere in the developed world.

LOL. Yes!!!

Greg Miller
1-Aug-2014, 15:15
Although have you ever noticed that a few 3 lane highways like the BQE or LIE can handle the same volume of traffic as a dozen 12 lane highways in California? What's up with that?

Drew Wiley
1-Aug-2014, 15:22
The most inefficient freeway system I've ever seen is connected to the DC Beltway. There are no twelve lane freeways in Calif that I've ever seen. Maybe LA, but that's not technically considered part of California, but of Asphaltia.

BradS
1-Aug-2014, 15:28
I wear tall steel toed leather logging boots when weed whacking and usually just go with a pair of wellys when digging in the garden or picking up the dog shit in the back yard.

Greg Miller
1-Aug-2014, 15:54
The most inefficient freeway system I've ever seen is connected to the DC Beltway. There are no twelve lane freeways in Calif that I've ever seen. Maybe LA, but that's not technically considered part of California, but of Asphaltia.

That's appropriate because everything in DC is inefficient...

Maybe I exaggerated a bit on the number of lanes. But I'm always amazed at how many lanes there are in places like San Diego (and the traffic still sucks)

Doug Howk
1-Aug-2014, 16:19
Florida only has about 5 poisonous snakes, and I've run into 4 of them while hiking/photographing. So I wear Cherokee Snake Boots. Don't know what to do about the gators, though.

goamules
1-Aug-2014, 16:47
Can be anything from Tevas to trailrunning shoes to medium-weight hikers to leather workboots (Redwings). Depends on the terrain and distance...

Exactly. But if going less than 2-3 miles, I'm as likely to be wearing "teva" type sandal knockoffs as anything. In Arizona, where it's between 90 - 105 degrees for 6 months of the year, I wear these 90% of the time, and only break out my Lowa mid-top hikers for long or rocky hikes.

For the times I wear the boots (winter, and long hikes) the Lowa's are the best hiking boots I've ever had, and I've used cheap Hi-Tecs, Merrills, Salomons, all of them. I never wear tennis or running shoes anymore - Sandals or boots.

Daniel Stone
1-Aug-2014, 16:52
Florida only has about 5 poisonous snakes, and I've run into 4 of them while hiking/photographing. So I wear Cherokee Snake Boots. Don't know what to do about the gators, though.

Carry a 12ga loaded with slugs and 00 buck shot, alternating loads(slug, buckshot, slug, buckshot, etc)

I have a box of snakeshot shells for my 38spl, but I've never used them. Only had two run ins with rattlesnakes before while cutting through the brush/hiking, and my walking pole acted as enough of a deterrent to keep it at bay if required. Snakes are pretty skittish I've found, but there's always exceptions to that rule... FL has big snakes, not just poisonous ones.

Doug Howk
1-Aug-2014, 17:34
As to snakes being skittish, I was attacked by an eastern diamondback - a female I presume that was guarding its "nest". Lucky for me she misjudged the distance due to me holding my tripod & camera out front.
Water moccasins are territorial, so usually have to skirt around them. Copperheads, which are only found in the foothills of Florida, wait till you step near them. Since I've had some encounters even in my backyard, I wear snakeboots wherever appropriate. And I don't do swamp walks with Clyde Butcher.

Greg Miller
1-Aug-2014, 17:50
the foothills of Florida

What's that, the Skyway Bridge??? ;)

I was hiking down a mountain in the dark after a summit sunset shoot, and would have stepped on a copperhead, except it moved off the trail before just before I (would have) stepped on it. I heard the dry grass next to the trail rustling big time, so I stopped, took off my pack, and got the headlamp out of my pack so I could see what was making all the racket. I decided to use the headlamp for the rest of the hike out... That was exactly one week after I was hiking up a Catskill Peak at 3:00 AM without my headlamp on, and had a black bear cub rush past and bump my leg as it scampered to its momma who I had unknowingly passed lower down the trail. I like hiking in the dark with no light because I don;t like the tunnel vision you get with a headlamp on. But after that. and the copperhead near miss, I decided to always use the headlamp anyway.

Heroique
1-Aug-2014, 18:24
My default footwear is a pair of Asolo heavy-duty Gore-Tex hiking/mountaineering boots...sticky enough to get a good bite on smooth slickrock...

If the tread of Asolo boots can bite and grip canyon-country slickrock after rain showers, I will add them to my short list for an upcoming journey into the high-desert southwest! No previous boots of mine have been equal to the task; I'd pay a premium to find a pair that are.

Heroique
1-Aug-2014, 18:26
Very timely question Heroique! ...I'm destroying my hiking boots while "bouldering" along the Nisqually River this summer - took a fall and ripped the sole half off. The emergency Gorilla Glue repair won't hold forever. --Bob

Oh yes, the Nisqually River brings a lot of boot-annihilating rocks down from the Nisqually Glacier on Mount Rainer. Then they wait patiently for me to come along. ;^)

I've owned boots whose final hike was along the rocky banks and braided flows of this river.

No running shoes here – unless you want a sprained ankle! Of course, no footwear will matter the next time Rainier sends an icy mudflow down to Tacoma. Only later, when exploring the inevitable, apocalyptic devastation, would boots again be recommended over running shoes! Maybe Asolo mountaineering boots.

Vaughn
1-Aug-2014, 19:11
Along a section of road in Death Valley one night last February (wearing my Tevas) I enjoyed strolling along without the flashlight on. At one point I decided to turn the light on -- about two more steps forward was a rather large scorpian. I turned on the flashlight more often after that.

Brassai
1-Aug-2014, 19:21
I used to wear boots all the time. Winter boots in winter, light kangaroo leather hunting boots in warmer temps. For the past several years I've been wearing GoreTex hiking shoes, low cut. These are very light and pack easily. I wear them when I'm not expecting to get into deep water. They are great! I wear them antelope hunting now, which entails covering large tracts of varied prairie. I haven't regretted the switch.

Jerry Bodine
1-Aug-2014, 20:11
Speaking of traction, I can relate a tale from a winter overnight trail hike in the Cascades headed to Spectacle Lake. There had been heavy precip before the trip. Following alongside an overflowing stream in the snow, I happened to step into a very soggy spot up to the top of my Lowa but didn't get wet. Continuing on to a log crossing over the 18-inch deep "stream", it was not a tough log-walk, but what I wasn't aware of was that my left boot sole had accumulated about three inches of ice on the bottom. I started across the snow-covered log, after my buddy had made it across. After my second step on the log, my buddy heard my yelp, turned in time to see me horizontal in mid-air heading toward the water with my Leica M3 strapped to my chest on a sling. I landed in sitting position in the stream, Leica submerged. Got up and crawled out, removed the lens, poured out the water, and after a complete change into dry clothes, knocked the ice off the boot and we continued on toward the lake. Near dusk we found the lake outlet overflowing about 50 feet wide across the trail - impassable. Pitched the 2-man tent on a dry section of trail (only option), had dinner, hung up my wet knickers and knee-length socks on my Kelty packframe, and went to sleep. In the morning decided to accept the trip as a washout and head back down. But it was about 0*F, so first had to warm up my frozen pants and socks in my armpits (etc.) so they could be folded and put in the pack. Came to the log crossing and saw that it was not a problem, since it was frozen solid, and just walked across the ice. The Leica was toast according to the repair guy the next day. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!

Vaughn
1-Aug-2014, 21:38
When I was working on the wilderness trails of the Yolla Bollys (1981 to 1991) I wore Redwing Irish Setter Sport Boots. Actually started wearing them in 1970. Simple tall leather boot, medium high heel. No liner, nothing fancy, so they were lighter than Whites or packer boots. Actually designed for Redwing by a local shoe sales/repair fellow. Even though I packed mules, I was usually on foot where the work was, so I appreciated a boot that was fire-fighting approved (no steel toes!) and comfortable enough to work/hike all day in.

They seemed pricey, but not extreme, but boots were a major purchase when one is earning around $5/hr. for 6 or 7 months a year. My first pair in 1970 was $42...two or three times the price of the Sears pair they were replacing. A pair would last about three seasons with one or two resoles. Trailwork and fire fighting are tough on boots. After a few years I stopped moving dirt and rocks around with my boots. That made the boots last longer and was much easier on my knees -- and shovels and McLeods are cheaper than boots and are paid for by the Forest Service...they did not buy my boots!

I still have the pair I bought not too long before I quit the Forest Service. But my feet have changed in the couple of decades in between, and that wonderful perfect fit is no longer perfect -- but it took two backpack trips resulting in massive blisters to finally convince me of it. If the ground is extremely rough, say like hiking on the lava fields at Lava Beds National Monument, or if I was out in the snow the boots are still useful.

csxcnj
2-Aug-2014, 04:28
The most inefficient freeway system I've ever seen is connected to the DC Beltway

AMEN. Our morning rush hour starts getting heavy around 6:30 and clears up around 11:00 and the afternoon rush our starts around 2:00 and goes sometimes until 7:00. And that's if someone doesn't get a flat tire and bring traffic to a standstill!

And often enough things are choked up the entire day.

csxcnj
2-Aug-2014, 04:38
What's that, the Skyway Bridge??? ;)

I was hiking down a mountain in the dark after a summit sunset shoot, and would have stepped on a copperhead, except it moved off the trail before just before I (would have) stepped on..... I like hiking in the dark with no light because I don;t like the tunnel vision you get with a headlamp on. But after that. and the copperhead near miss, I decided to always use the headlamp anyway.

Greg, I just got one of the PetzL headlamps with the multiple adjustment for brightness and a red light. The red light works for seeing enough of the trail in front of you to avoid pitfalls and snakes. It wouldn't cast a light bright enough to see a bear unless you were right on top of it but it does keep you from wrecking your night vision.

The white light on the lowest setting still let's you see a lot without being blinding to others.

BY the way , I got your landscape book on the Hudson Valley. Spectacular!

Greg Miller
2-Aug-2014, 06:50
Greg, I just got one of the PetzL headlamps with the multiple adjustment for brightness and a red light. The red light works for seeing enough of the trail in front of you to avoid pitfalls and snakes. It wouldn't cast a light bright enough to see a bear unless you were right on top of it but it does keep you from wrecking your night vision.

The white light on the lowest setting still let's you see a lot without being blinding to others.

BY the way , I got your landscape book on the Hudson Valley. Spectacular!

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for sharing your comment about my Hudson Valley book. I'm always thrilled to hear when somebody has a copy and has enjoyed it. Keep an eye out for the book I am currently working on. It covers a much smaller geographic area, but you are likely to be familiar with it since you are from West Milford, NJ. I'm a little more than 1/2 done with the photography, and I think the photography will be more compelling than my earlier books. But I think my publisher probably won't release it until September 2015.

Good idea about the red light. I'll have to experiment with that. It sounds like we have the same Petzl model. I used the lowest setting once in a unplanned scenario. I usually carry two headlamps (I'm typically going solo, so I like to have a spare just in case...), but was on top of a Catskills peak with another photographer. I figured I would lighten my load since the other photographer would have a headlamp and we could get but with one in a pinch. We finished shooting about 30 minutes after sunset and started prepping for our hike down, This was Twin Mountain on the Devil's Path which has a pretty rugged and rocky trail with a fair amount of scrambling. Well, my partner discovered he did not have his headlamp, so we started down by the light of my headlamp. But within minutes my headlamp started flashing, which is the indicator of low batteries. It was very dark with a new moon, and getting down that trail with no light was not going to be fun. So I dropped the headlamp down to its lowest setting (which made it hard for my partner training behind me), and prayed the batteries would last long enough to get us down to a lower elevation where it would be an easier night if we needed to improvise a bivy. It wasn't a great experience, but the batteries lasted the 2.5 hours it took to get back the the trailhead.

John Kasaian
2-Aug-2014, 10:07
Exactly. But if going less than 2-3 miles, I'm as likely to be wearing "teva" type sandal knockoffs as anything. In Arizona, where it's between 90 - 105 degrees for 6 months of the year, I wear these 90% of the time, and only break out my Lowa mid-top hikers for long or rocky hikes.

For the times I wear the boots (winter, and long hikes) the Lowa's are the best hiking boots I've ever had, and I've used cheap Hi-Tecs, Merrills, Salomons, all of them. I never wear tennis or running shoes anymore - Sandals or boots.
I bought a pair of Red Setters with white crepe soles nearly 20 years ago for a desert SAR class I was taking outside of Barstow, CA. They've been an excellent investment and I need to send them in for restoration (which costs now the same as I paid for those boots new 20 years ago!)

Lenny Eiger
2-Aug-2014, 11:26
Boots. Current favorite is Zamberlan. Gandolfi's for the feet.

Lenny

csxcnj
2-Aug-2014, 12:23
Hi Bob,

.... Keep an eye out for the book I am currently working on. It covers a much smaller geographic area, but you are likely to be familiar with it since you are from West Milford, NJ. I'm a little more than 1/2 done with the photography, and I think the photography will be more compelling than my earlier books. But I think my publisher probably won't release it until September 2015.

:D yaaay, can't wait!

gregmo
2-Aug-2014, 15:51
I really like the feel of Saucony. I tend to use their trail running shoe with vibram tread.

goamules
2-Aug-2014, 19:27
If someone tried to walk at night in Arizona or New Mexico without a light on during dark nights, you could track their progress by listening to their screams as they get bit by rattlesnakes every 100 yards. You'll almost never see rattlers during day hikes, but they are very active at night. I've stepped over several giant "old battery cables....and ....strange stick in the path..." in my early years only to hear that heartstopping buzzing mid-way over the top of what turned out to be a rattlesnake.
In the Southwest it's very stupid to go traipsing around at night without a light, at least when there is no bright moon, on confined trails. Some of my co-workers even accidentally stepped over a few on the sidewalk at our NM communication site on White Sands. They didn't expect them to be laying right across the path. Snake shot, gaiters, and all that junk aren't needed if you use common sense.

Greg Miller
2-Aug-2014, 19:47
Yet another regional difference. We have a healthy population of timber rattlesnakes. They come out during the day to sun themselves and warm up. And den up under a solar heated boulder to stay warm at night.

mmerig
3-Aug-2014, 14:13

August 1 and 2, 2014 (an overnight trip) was my last field trip. My footwear was Vasque Juxt, a low-top, lightweight hiking shoe. My pack weighed about 40 pounds (had a 4 by 5 field camera, 3 film holders, a Nikon F, and a tripod, plus food and overnight gear, etc.) The terrain was about 2/3 trail and 1/3 cross-country travel on non-technical mountain slopes, over about 25 miles up to about 11K feet. With two river crossings and 6 hours of rain, my feet were wet most of the first day.

I usually go with as light a boot I can get away with, but I may be a little unusual in that I have double-jointed ankles, so have never sprained an ankle. But I weigh 135 pounds, so am sensitive to pack weight and pay a little more attention to this than shoes.

Vaughn
3-Aug-2014, 22:39
PS -- the black trail runners are made by New Balance. Vaughn

eddie
4-Aug-2014, 04:24
i wear sandles 90%+ of the non winter time.........world wide.

HMG
4-Aug-2014, 08:23
Interesting discussion. I've switched from the old heavy leather boots (when carrying a 50-55lb pack) to lightweight Keen boots (with a 25lb pack). I haven't noticed any ankle support issues, though I haven't been in a possible sprained ankle situation. Snakes not an issue where I go.

When you consider how many times you lift a foot with an extra .5-.75lbs of shoe, it adds up.