PDA

View Full Version : Recessed lens board

DEC3
30-Jul-2014, 12:49
I recently bought a 90mm lens w/out a lens board for my 4x5 view camera and was wondering if I should buy a regular or recessed board. The IC is 235, not sure that matters but it can't hurt. I am not sure what factors go in to determining whether or not a recessed board is required. As you can tell I am still learning abut LF. Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2014, 12:55
What camera? Do you need or also need a bag bellows for the 90mm on your camera?

John Olsen
30-Jul-2014, 13:01
You'll need a recessed board if a flat board won't bring your lens close enough to the film plane to focus at infinity. Cut out a temporary lens board from flat cardboard and try to focus. If you can't focus, then you need a recessed holder.

Andrew
30-Jul-2014, 13:39
check out the available recessed boards for your camera, they aren't all created equal in terms of amount of recess and how they impact on access to shutter controls and what shutter they'll accept
definitely try mocking up a flat board and see how your camera behaves... and then add a cm of bellows extension and see if it significantly improves your ability to use the camera's movements

DEC3
30-Jul-2014, 13:50
Good advice on the mock lend board. I will give it a try. To answer Bob's question. The camera is an Omega 45 view. I don't think a bag bellows is an option.

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2014, 13:51
You'll need a recessed board if a flat board won't bring your lens close enough to the film plane to focus at infinity. Cut out a temporary lens board from flat cardboard and try to focus. If you can't focus, then you need a recessed holder.

And, possibly, a bag bellows!

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2014, 13:53
Good advice on the mock lend board. I will give it a try. To answer Bob's question. The camera is an Omega 45 view. I don't think a bag bellows is an option.

If it is not an option then you will need a recessed board especially if you want to use movements.

But if your camera has a removable bellows then there should be a bag bellows as an accessory.

Alan Gales
30-Jul-2014, 15:15
Which Omega 4x5? I did a quick search for you out of curiosity and found that some Omega's support bag bellows and some don't. The Omega 45D for example does not have interchangeable bellows so you would have to rely on a recessed board. How much room for movements that would give you I don't know.

DEC3
30-Jul-2014, 18:07
It is the 45D so no interchangeable bellows. Thanks

Ari
30-Jul-2014, 19:20
You will need a recessed board for the 90mm; what's more you may have to slide the standards together, i.e. move the tripod mounting block behind the two standards, in order to focus the 90 at infinity.

Alan Gales
30-Jul-2014, 20:45
You will need a recessed board for the 90mm; what's more you may have to slide the standards together, i.e. move the tripod mounting block behind the two standards, in order to focus the 90 at infinity.

Ari, I learned that trick the hard way. My first 4x5 was a Cambo SC. I put a 90 on it and moved the standards as close as I could get them. I still could not focus at infinity. After a bit of cussing I looked it up on the internet and learned the trick. I felt kind of stupid after that. ;)

Andrew
31-Jul-2014, 03:22
get a recessed board... you'll get more movements before the standards knock together and there will be less problems from bellows compression