PDA

View Full Version : No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

Paul Cunningham
29-Jul-2014, 14:43
If there is a thread or sticky where this belongs, please feel free to move it.

I'm going to be visiting there soon and made a couple of phone calls in advance. According to Tony who ran a B/W lab on the island there is no E-6 or B/W processing on the island - he sends his own film to the mainland. There is some C-41 35mm on the island, but no sheet film processing at all.

I'm midway into a project and was hoping to find a local lab. I'm not thrilled with the idea of packing a lab on vacation.

If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear it.

Daniel Stone
29-Jul-2014, 14:55
Do you have to see your shots while traveling? If not, why not save it until you return home(Oregon?) and get it processed locally, or send it out?

Rochelle(owner/operator) @ Data-Chrome in Santa Ana, CA does a fantastic job of E-6 processing, and her turnaround is lightning fast! Sometimes same-day(in, processed, then back out)!

http://www.data-chrome.com/

-Dan

[edit] If you have reservations about x-ray damage, I still do myself TBH, and try and request a hand-check from TSA. However, upon a recent trip to Australia, I had no choice @ the Sydney airport or Fiji, and I haven't seen any ill effects that I could attribute to x-ray damage.

Liquid Artist
29-Jul-2014, 15:14
I am not surprised, the Fuji machines I used while working in a lab could only handle up to medium format film.

In British Columbia, Canada there are only 2 or 3 labs that can process E-6 film. Which is 2 or 3 more labs than the next 2 provinces have. I don't know if any of them can handle any LF film.

My suggestion would be shoot as much b&w as possible, then develop it yourself. A Paterson 3 roll developing tank can hold 2 sheets at once easily, and the chemistry is most likely available somewhere there.

Then mail any c-41 or e-6 film to a trusted lab before you leave.
I don't know if I would trust any of my film on an airliner. I have nightmares of the security pulling all my film from the holders wondering what it is, or turning up the x-ray until it's all ruined.

Paul Cunningham
29-Jul-2014, 23:33
I'm fine about traveling with film on the plane, not an issue for me. My nieces and nephews (who will be there) have had no experience with large format film, so it would be very cool to show them up close the results.

I could bring chemistry of course, it just adds a layer of complexity I hoped to avoid, and I probably won't do it.
I might shoot some B/W, but the color there is dazzling.

Liquid Artist
30-Jul-2014, 02:18
In my honest opinion your better of bringing your film to a lab you know and trust.

The lab I worked at only changed their chemistry twice in the 3 years I worked there, and the second time was because they were forced to completely service their machine. I doubt that he was the only shop that negligent around. Most places don't seem to care about their film shooters now.

Needless to say, I either saved up my film or sent it to another shop when I needed something developed quickly.

My former boss didn't believe me when I told him that some places change their chemistry daily.

Although the pay sucked while working in the lab, and I didn't agree with how often my former boss changed chemistry in any machine. It's one job that I am grateful to have had.
It taught me more about this industry than I would have learned in a lifetime otherwise.

Fred L
30-Jul-2014, 05:31
maybe paper negs for illustrating wonders of LF photography ? they can watch the developing process as well and have that 'aha' moment as well.

djdister
30-Jul-2014, 05:49
So long as you aren't shooting any high speed sheet film (?), I would just pack it all back home with you, let it go through the carry-on scanner, and process it at home or the lab of your choice.

Paul Cunningham
30-Jul-2014, 08:39
maybe paper negs for illustrating wonders of LF photography ? they can watch the developing process as well and have that 'aha' moment as well.

This is a great idea, and I have some Harman Direct Positive, too. All I would really need is some paper developer and some fix, correct? (water stop). And since the paper is so slow it could even be developed in the shade, albeit not perfectly.

Thoughts?

Brian C. Miller
30-Jul-2014, 09:53
And since the paper is so slow it could even be developed in the shade, albeit not perfectly.

It isn't that slow. You still need to develop it in the "dark" under a safelight. You'll also still need stop, as that paper won't stop developing immediately when you take it out of the bath.

What about using Fujifilm FP100C?

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2014, 10:26
In my honest opinion your better of bringing your film to a lab you know and trust.

The lab I worked at only changed their chemistry twice in the 3 years I worked there, and the second time was because they were forced to completely service their machine. I doubt that he was the only shop that negligent around. Most places don't seem to care about their film shooters now.

Needless to say, I either saved up my film or sent it to another shop when I needed something developed quickly.

My former boss didn't believe me when I told him that some places change their chemistry daily.

Although the pay sucked while working in the lab, and I didn't agree with how often my former boss changed chemistry in any machine. It's one job that I am grateful to have had.
It taught me more about this industry than I would have learned in a lifetime otherwise.

why would they change chemistry daily rather then replenish at the proper time?

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2014, 10:28
I'm fine about traveling with film on the plane, not an issue for me. My nieces and nephews (who will be there) have had no experience with large format film, so it would be very cool to show them up close the results.

I could bring chemistry of course, it just adds a layer of complexity I hoped to avoid, and I probably won't do it.
I might shoot some B/W, but the color there is dazzling.

Why not just bring a couple of processed chromes or negs with you to show them?

Luis-F-S
30-Jul-2014, 11:47
So long as you aren't shooting any high speed sheet film (?), I would just pack it all back home with you, let it go through the carry-on scanner, and process it at home or the lab of your choice.

Not to steal this thread, but I haven't flown with film in the last 10 years-doing my commercial work in digital. In BW I shoot exclusively Tri-X. Do most folks just put it through the x-ray, or request a hand search, or what? I can't imagine TSA not wanting to look inside all those Kodak yellow boxes! Suggestions? I'm TSA Pre Check on most flights if that makes a difference. Thanks!

diversey
30-Jul-2014, 11:59
Not to steal this thread, but I haven't flown with film in the last 10 years-doing my commercial work in digital. In BW I shoot exclusively Tri-X. Do most folks just put it through the x-ray, or request a hand search, or what? I can't imagine TSA not wanting to look inside all those Kodak yellow boxes! Suggestions? I'm TSA Pre Check on most flights if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Hand search for any films. TSA is okay with it.

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2014, 12:57
Why not check with Kaimuki Camera in Honolulu and ask them if there is anyone? 808 735-5955.

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2014, 13:00
"I'm TSA Pre Check on most flights if that makes a difference."

Me too! Makes a big difference, At EWR Terminal A, which does not have a TSA Pre line (C does) they give you a card when the scanner beeps the 3 times that puts you in an expedited line, not like the Pre though.

I was an early Clear Card member and thought that that was pretty good. But nothing like this TSA Pre though.

Paul Cunningham
30-Jul-2014, 13:42
Worth a try I suppose, but Oahu is not Maui, and you'd at least be looking at mail delays.

Why not check with Kaimuki Camera in Honolulu and ask them if there is anyone? 808 735-5955.

Paul Cunningham
30-Jul-2014, 13:44
What about using Fujifilm FP100C?

Not possible as I don't have a back nor FP100C45. Now if NEW55 was available...

David A. Goldfarb
30-Jul-2014, 13:56

There are three labs in Honolulu. One is fairly expensive, mainly for tourists. The other two have kind of a long turnaround time (one does a batch every two weeks, and the other may outsource, because they also say something like 10-14 days on E-6 when I last checked). On the other hand, these are small operations, so you can call them and ask when their next E-6 run will be, or if you have enough film, maybe they can do a special run, and maybe it will work out for you.

The only shop stocking film in the islands as far as I know, including medium format, some 4x5", and instant film, is Treehouse-- http://treehouse-shop.com/

They also serve as a free dropoff point for all three labs, and they list them on their website if you want to deal with them directly-- http://treehouse-shop.com/merch/film-photography/film-processing/

Treehouse started as kind of a Lomography and crafts shop, and now they're the supplier for local university darkroom courses and they host a quarterly swap meet and small gallery shows.

Shipping E-6 chemicals to Hawai'i has gotten to be too costly for individual use due to low demand and hazmat charges. I've taken to shipping E-6 film to The Icon in LA-- https://online.iconla.com/efilm/
Quality has been good thus far, turnaround time as fast as it can be by mail, and the e-commerce setup is convenient to use.

Powdered C-41 kits are available locally.

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2014, 13:56
Worth a try I suppose, but Oahu is not Maui, and you'd at least be looking at mail delays.

I am not saying that you should use them, they are a camera store, not a lab. I am saying that you should call and ask them who might process film on Maui.
If there is anyone they would know.

From what I hear, as late as today, from photographers on HI that they send their film to LA for processing. But you never know.

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2014, 13:59
They closed a year or two ago. There are three labs in Honolulu. One is fairly expensive, mainly for tourists. The other two have kind of a long turnaround time (one does a batch every two weeks, and the other may outsource, because they also say something like 10-14 days). On the other hand, these are small operations, so you can call them and ask when their next E-6 run will be, or if you have enough film, maybe they can do a special run, and maybe it will work out for you.

The only shop stocking film in the islands as far as I know, including medium format, some 4x5", and instant film, is Treehouse-- http://treehouse-shop.com/

They also serve as a free dropoff point for all three labs, and they list them on their website if you want to deal with them directly-- http://treehouse-shop.com/merch/film-photography/film-processing/

Treehouse started as kind of a Lomography and crafts shop, and now they're the supplier for local university darkroom courses and they host a quarterly swap meet.

Shipping E-6 chemicals to Hawai'i has gotten to be too costly for individual use due to low demand and hazmat charges. I've taken to shipping E-6 film to The Icon in LA-- https://online.iconla.com/efilm/
Quality has been good thus far, turnaround time as fast as it can be by mail, and the e-commerce setup is convenient to use.

Powdered C-41 kits are available locally.

I'm told that Lighthouse still sells film.

Are you sure that they closed? They bought a lot of flash brackets a year or so ago from us.

David A. Goldfarb
30-Jul-2014, 14:12
Sorry, you're right about Kaimuki Camera. Misinformation corrected above. The one that closed was the one down the block from them, called "Imageworks." They were the ones who stocked film, used film cameras, and supplied the university darkrooms when they were up and running. Kaimuki Camera is still in business.

Lighthaus on O'ahu, which is a five minute walk from my apartment, doesn't stock film last I checked, but they have some used film cameras in the shop.

Liquid Artist
9-Aug-2014, 08:53
why would they change chemistry daily rather then replenish at the proper time?
In this case they didn't replenish the chemistry, until the results were far from desirable. The sad thing is I saw worst from Walmart, and 2 other chain stores come in and although I did my best to improve peoples photos I still couldn't come up with results I was happy with. It should be noted, I may be more fussy than the average person, which is possibly what brought me to the world of Large Format.

Although I don't really expect a lab to replace their chemistry daily, I don't want them to pretty much ruin my film either.
The one I plan on using when I send my colour work off does and I am certian that I will see the difference. He works in the motion picture industry, and develops film on the side, so I imagine he wants the best results possible.

Oh, the one chain I have never seen bad results from is Costco. However I do not believe that Costco Canada develops any film now.

aFeinberg
11-Aug-2014, 16:23
I'm over on Kauai and found Ray on Oahu (photoplantinc.com). Just got my setup so havent been able to send him any film yet. Only bw up to 8x10. Let me know if you get a hold of him!

aF

Steve M Hostetter
11-Aug-2014, 16:33
Paul,, bring some polaroid ,, I noticed freestyle has some 8x10" off brand maybe they can help with 4x5.. If this has already been mentioned then sry..