PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Canoe Pack for 8x10

dodphotography
29-Jul-2014, 05:53
My Ritter is 15.5 inches wide... meaning I am having a hell of a time finding a bag for this thing.

Here is my solution: http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/hybrid.htm#

The F64 is too tight, as would the Photobackpackr going on dimensions alone.

Short of using an external frame backpack I think this is the best solution.

Thoughts?

Erik Larsen
29-Jul-2014, 06:24
I use an f64 for my Ritter 8x10, it fits fine.

dodphotography
29-Jul-2014, 06:36
I use an f64 for my Ritter 8x10, it fits fine.

is it really tight though? I mean, I've seen a Deardoff barely squeeze in there and the Ritter has an inch on that. Could you post some images of your rig packed and loaded.

Erik Larsen
29-Jul-2014, 06:42
is it really tight though? I mean, I've seen a Deardoff barely squeeze in there and the Ritter has an inch on that. Could you post some images of your rig packed and loaded.

Yeah, I can post pics when I get home. It's a tight fit but the pack is soft sided and conforms to the camera just fine. It's easy to put the camera in and take out of the pack, almost like it was made for the camera:)

Kimberly Anderson
29-Jul-2014, 06:54
Interesting.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a canoe pack for a camera. I've just pulled my Navarro Loon 16 out of storage and want to restore it. It's heavily oxidized and all of the wood needs some significant help. I was planning on using it for photography and hadn't considered anything other than a thick neoprene pad in the bottom of the canoe to protect it from the Pelican cases I usually use.

Hmmmm....

dodphotography
29-Jul-2014, 07:10
Interesting.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a canoe pack for a camera. I've just pulled my Navarro Loon 16 out of storage and want to restore it. It's heavily oxidized and all of the wood needs some significant help. I was planning on using it for photography and hadn't considered anything other than a thick neoprene pad in the bottom of the canoe to protect it from the Pelican cases I usually use.

Hmmmm....

I would think I would need to modify the pack, but the depth is nice, I could slide in film holders with room to spare. It's so annoying that it's impossible to see anything in the flesh.

jp
29-Jul-2014, 08:57
Interesting.

Hmmmm....

I still think a pelican case is a good case for canoes. Made a nice seat for little kids too. I don't think the OP was planning to canoe with it. I've got a plastic old town canoe and don't worry about damaging the floor.

Vaughn
29-Jul-2014, 09:06
I use the Trekker:

http://www.meipacks.com/ The detachable daypack holds 5 to 6 8x10 film holders -- so no room inside the pack is needed for the holders (though I can fit one or two more inside.)

The pack is listed as 14" wide, but I have my Zone VI 8x10 in it -- the width from knob to knob is 15" and I have about an inch of closed cell foam on each side. In the photo below I have the knobs up and down, but the camera also fits in with the knobs on the sides.

Such packs are designed for longer distances than a canoe pack.

Erik Larsen
29-Jul-2014, 17:56

Here ya go. 119135

Jim Fitzgerald
29-Jul-2014, 18:34
I'm with Vaughn on packs. He showed me his and now I have three MEI packs. I pack my 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 in these. I had to get a Canoe pack for my 14x17. Search MEI packs on evil bay. They generally sell cheap. Not a lot of fluff in them but the suspension is great as are the zippers. You can customize to fit your needs.

dodphotography
29-Jul-2014, 19:38
I'm with Vaughn on packs. He showed me his and now I have three MEI packs. I pack my 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 in these. I had to get a Canoe pack for my 14x17. Search MEI packs on evil bay. They generally sell cheap. Not a lot of fluff in them but the suspension is great as are the zippers. You can customize to fit your needs.

What MEI pack do you recommend?

jeroldharter
29-Jul-2014, 20:41
I have 2 CCS portage packs, a knapsack, 2 Leans, a barrel pack, a food pack, and a tarp. They are made in Minnesota and Dan Cooke runs a great small business. Their construction is second to none. You should consider contacting him with the dimensions you want. They do make custom packs. You might want a variant of a food pack which has foam in it.

I just had a tree branch fall through my tarp so I sent it in to CCS with an email to follow. They repaired it within a week for almost nothing. Excellent customer service.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-Jul-2014, 22:22
What MEI pack do you recommend?

The one that Vaughn has. I'm not sure what they are called. I have one that has the side pockets and a day pack that is on the back. I think I spent maybe 100 bucks some time ago. May have gotten it off of ebay can't remember.

tgtaylor
30-Jul-2014, 08:55
Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW. Here's a Toyo-Field MII (15" wide and 15 lbs) packed into it:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/11184158884_ca322d4d9e_z.jpg

There's plenty of room to accommodate your gear and Up to 5 8x10 holders will slide into the front pouch:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2812/11184114275_2358632693_z.jpg

As you can see, the pack is well padded for protection but that comes at a cost: 8.4 lbs empty so you wouldn't want to use this pack for overnight/multiple day backpacks but I find it's fine for day hikes as long as I keep the gear to a reasonable level. There's three places to attach a tripod and has its own rain jacket. $300 new.

Thomas