PDA

View Full Version : 100TMAX and HC110

Enrique Vila
8-Nov-2004, 17:30
Is anyone using 100TMAX with HC110, especially with the Zone System?

I live in Australia and while I love Tri-X, it is not readily available over here, so some times I'm force to use 100TMAX.

I would like to hear comments from people using this fil for ZS and any recommendations...

Cheers,

Enrique./

Enrico
8-Nov-2004, 18:23
You should be able to get Tri-x quite easily (depending on where you are living ofcourse - outback?). What city are you in? I have been readily buying tri-x for the past 5 years without a hitch... much cheaper than TMax!

I have some tmax 100 and dont know what to do with it...
Hopefully others can help with your question.

Also - what format are you using?
If you are shooting 4x5 then you should be able to get 320txp sheet (tri-x) from Vanbar. Very nice emulsion. It will be good to see a comparison of the two.

-e.

John Flavell
8-Nov-2004, 20:38
I have used that combo and I have to say I like the TriX better. I did the Zone for the TMax/Hc110 combo. I mix the HC110 at one ounce developer per 64 ounces water. Develop at 68 degrees and normal is started at seven minutes, aggitation depends on my notes on contrast. The TMax always needed a bit more aggitation.

For the Zone, I liked to mix a stronger/weaker developing solution rather than subtracting/adding developing time. It sounds weird, but it works for me....just adding an ounce or two of Hc110 for N+1, for example.

And for those about to suggest another developer: Nothing travels better than HC110.

John Flavell

Mark Sampson
9-Nov-2004, 08:26
In my experience, T-max 100 and HC-110 do not work well together. Strangely enough, D-76 1:1 yielded superior results, especially in terms of highlight seperation. But my tests were made 15 years ago, and I no longer use T-max 100 except in studio/lab situations, so my opinion may be worth only what you paid for it.

ronald moravec
9-Nov-2004, 09:38
Second Mark`s post, t-max and hc110 do not optimise . D 76 is much better. Kodak`s website lists their best developers for 100 t-max in bold. Hc110 is not bold. The pictures look much more alive with d76. No amount of tinkering with times will correct it.

Use 1:3 dilution if you need a lot of volumn cheaply. mix the D76 and store in small glass bottles for one time use. Even 3-5 days in a half full bottle will change the activity, first hot then it deteriorates.

Chris Maines
9-Nov-2004, 11:50
Mark and r.,

I've actually found the opposite to be true. My TMAX100 in D-76 1:1 gives me duller and less "vibrant" rendition in areas like grass, bark, stone, etc. than HC-110 does. For normal development, I use HC-110 Dilution E at 69F and 6:50min of gentle constant agitation in BTZS tubes. (Dilution E is 1:47 from the syrup, not the stock solution). A good comprehensive internet resource on HC-110 is at Covington Innovations. (http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ ) TMAX is very, very sensitive to temperature changes, which can make it difficult to obtain consistent results, so "your mileage may vary".

J. P. Mose
9-Nov-2004, 13:13
I have found T-Max 100 and Rodinal 1:50 to be a nice combination. I haven't been pleased with T-Max 100 otherwise.